Moparts

Improved ride, 66' Coronet convertable

Posted By: Hemi ragtop

Improved ride, 66' Coronet convertable - 05/28/17 05:15 PM

I have driven 5,700 miles in my HEMI convertible. Now I want to improve the ride. It is harsh, especially in the rear. I am thinking about better shocks. Here is what I have:
Rear, Cal Track mono springs (Rubber bushings vs. Aluminum) and bars. Super Stock gas shocks from Mancini and a .900" rear sway bar.
Front, .970" T bars, 1.25" Firm Feel sway bar and parts store gas shocks. All mounts are urethane.
Weights:
LF 1,151 lb.
RF 1,104 lb.LR 1,057 lb.
RR 862 lb.
What do you guys suggest?
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Improved ride, 66' Coronet convertable - 05/28/17 07:38 PM

Maybe.

Have you tried removing/disconnecting the cal track bars and see if there is a change?

What about putting the stock rear springs back in and see how it rides?
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Improved ride, 66' Coronet convertable - 05/28/17 07:52 PM

That's a pretty damned big rear bar
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Improved ride, 66' Coronet convertable - 05/28/17 09:25 PM

IMO harshness comes from shocks.
I think a better shock will change a lot for the car.

Re: Improved ride, 66' Coronet convertable - 05/28/17 09:44 PM

The ride IMPROVED with the Cal Trac springs. I am wondering about the shocks and possibly rear sway bar.
I'm looking for some one who KNOWS shocks. 4 corner weight should help. This car will NOT see a dragstrip (I would have chosen a much lighter, cheaper car/engine for that! I just love to drive it!

Re: Improved ride, 66' Coronet convertable - 05/28/17 09:45 PM

Who would you recommend I go to for good shocks?

Re: Improved ride, 66' Coronet convertable - 05/28/17 10:31 PM

I think 'autoxcuda' thinks you're running CalTrack traction bars.

My '73 Dart became a much more 'evolved'/upgraded handling car when it went from KYB gas shocks upfront and Monroe Sensatrac shocks in the rear, to adjustable Hotchkis upfront and QA1 adjustable shocks at the rear.
I also improved/upgraded the springs.

Before all that it rode kinda rough as well but I didn't really know it because I was kinda used it.
Even though my C-bodies drove much nicer.

The Dart is a pure daily driver, but it can hang in the corners with most modern cars on the roads these days.
It's a 3200 lbs car without driver.

I also always had to slow down before (smooth) speedbumps to prevent being bounched around like a toy car.
After the upgrade I can even pick up speed and the speedbumps get delt with in an almost professional way.

Re: Improved ride, 66' Coronet convertable - 05/28/17 10:32 PM

Disconnect the rear sway bar on one end. If ride doesn't change, not the issue.

You are asking for the ride and harshness to improve. High end performance shocks probably aren't going to help. They help control really stiff springs (which you don't have) and control weight transfer. You are trying to make it a little more Cadillac, not make it more Viper.

You are looking to dampen and soften the high speed shock acceleration for noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH). That quick movement comes from bumps, cracks, roughness in the road.

Low speed dampening is the vehicle weight transfer/transition side to side, front to rear, or both (corner to corner)

I'd look at Bilstien RCD. Maybe an adjustable, But it would be just set on the soft settings.

Re: Improved ride, 66' Coronet convertable - 05/28/17 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By BigBlockMopar
I think 'autoxcuda' thinks you're running CalTrack traction bars.

Yes. He said Cal Trac and bars.

Re: Improved ride, 66' Coronet convertable - 05/28/17 11:26 PM

Ah, somehow missed that the first 2 times I read it.

Re: Improved ride, 66' Coronet convertable - 05/29/17 04:34 PM

Thanks for the ideas, so Bilstein adjustable set on the softest setting? Front and back?
Posted By: 67SATisfaction

Re: Improved ride, 66' Coronet convertable - 06/09/17 05:20 AM

Originally Posted By Hemi ragtop
Thanks for the ideas, so Bilstein adjustable set on the softest setting? Front and back?

Good place to start softening the ride - and I'll throw in my $.02 and suggest you use rubber bushings (which you mention in your OP)... rubber bushings at the shocks will help relieve the harshness.

Best,
- Art

Posted By: minivan

Re: Improved ride, 66' Coronet convertable - 06/12/17 05:50 PM

I know people who have had great success with some plain jane Monroe shocks you can buy at the parts store..

I have KYB on my car and they are somewhat harsh and I might try the Monroe shocks if I keep my car longer....

Re: Improved ride, 66' Coronet convertable - 06/13/17 01:34 AM

OK, thanks for all the imput. I called several "respected" names in the business. Then I thought, "why not Firm Feel"? They provided my steering box, front sway bar and even built the Federal power steering pump for me.

I called, unlike the others, when I mentioned that I had the 4 wheel weights, they said, "let me guess them"!. They were within 100#!

They sold me Bilstiens that were modified to fit the car. After installing them, I just got to say, WHAT A RIDE!.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Improved ride, 66' Coronet convertable - 06/13/17 01:39 AM

Yeah, the Bilsteins are great shocks.

Re: Improved ride, 66' Coronet convertable - 06/13/17 01:41 AM

The harshness is gone, the ride is smooth. The car takes the 15 mph curves with no lean and confidence at 30 mph. I love it!

Don't forget our Mopar sponsors, they specialize in our cars and KNOW our cars!

Re: Improved ride, 66' Coronet convertable - 06/13/17 03:34 AM

Originally Posted By Hemi ragtop
The harshness is gone, the ride is smooth. The car takes the 15 mph curves with no lean and confidence at 30 mph. I love it!

Don't forget our Mopar sponsors, they specialize in our cars and KNOW our cars!

So were they bilstien RCD non adjustables?

Were they off the shelf or did he have them custom made for you?
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Improved ride, 66' Coronet convertable - 06/13/17 03:40 AM

KYBs should be called:
Kill
Your
Buttocks.

Re: Improved ride, 66' Coronet convertable - 06/13/17 12:44 PM

Bilstein doesn't make a shock for the car. Firm Feel uses a shock made for the WEIGHT of the car and modifies them.
© 2024 Moparts Forums