Moparts

shock recommendation

Posted By: moparcyco

shock recommendation - 05/26/17 08:53 PM

I am building a 69 Super Bee to be a fun driver. It has big block torsion bars with firm feel uppers and everything else is been rebuilt. I was thinking Bilsteins is there anything else out there comparable price etc? Anyone now the bilstein part numbers? Thanks
Posted By: BergmanAutoCraft

Re: shock recommendation - 05/27/17 12:06 AM

I sell 2 kinds depending on usage. Bilsteins or adjustable Hotchkiss. Both excellent products. For a steel, monotube non adj design the Bilstein is always a great choice. Any questions PM me.
Posted By: EWJ

Re: shock recommendation - 05/29/17 11:07 PM

X2 on the Bilsteins. Love them on my stock 1969 GTX. Huge improvement.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: shock recommendation - 05/30/17 08:58 PM

I have the non-adj Hotchkis/Fox and they were a noticeable improvement over Bilstein on my stiff sprung Dart. Bilsteins are great but the Fox's are better.
Posted By: Trojmn

Re: shock recommendation - 05/30/17 09:36 PM

An advantage to bilsteins is that they typically can be re-valved for whatever your needs are pretty much anywhere. If your a DIY type, parts/valves/etc are available to be bought and TONS of aftermarket support.

Fox/hotchkis/viking/whoever might all be great products but valving even when adjustable with knobs, only have so much range and no vendor has been forth coming with with shock dynos with numbers... or even vague questions like what like spring rate/weight are they valved for. Maybe they work well, maybe you have too much spring.

When your out of range or adjustment, or when it needs to be rebuilt/change for your app what do you do? << serious question
Posted By: 67autocross

Re: shock recommendation - 05/31/17 01:56 AM

The Viking shocks have a lot of range, I have used them with .89 to 1.14 torsion bars and they have more than enough rebound dampening. You can literally make the suspension stock soft all the way to so stiff you couldn't drive the car with the available factory settings.
Now if you want to change the valve shim stack any motorcycle or snowmobile shop that does suspension work would have no problem with the fox shocks, and it shouldn't take to long to for them to redo any of the brands you listed.
Posted By: 68rrunner

Re: shock recommendation - 06/04/17 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By Trojmn
An advantage to bilsteins is that they typically can be re-valved for whatever your needs are pretty much anywhere. If your a DIY type, parts/valves/etc are available to be bought and TONS of aftermarket support.

Fox/hotchkis/viking/whoever might all be great products but valving even when adjustable with knobs, only have so much range and no vendor has been forth coming with with shock dynos with numbers... or even vague questions like what like spring rate/weight are they valved for. Maybe they work well, maybe you have too much spring.

When your out of range or adjustment, or when it needs to be rebuilt/change for your app what do you do? << serious question

While the data and numbers for the tuning codex on the Fox/Hotchkis shocks are not shared information (why would anyone publish inside information for the competition?), they are tuned to a much finer window than any other shocks on the market for our applications now. They are tuneable and rebuildable, but you would have to correlate your own data and find a shock tuner if you wanted to get it even more dialed in. I would say however if you are at that point with these shocks for your specific application you are probably well beyond your average consumer. The Hotchkis adjustable shocks are more than enough for 99% of consumers and hobby racers.
© 2024 Moparts Forums