Moparts

8 3/4 rear Disc brake kits

Posted By: joes68340s

8 3/4 rear Disc brake kits - 03/15/16 05:25 AM

I'm looking for a kit that uses the factory adjustable bearings. Every kit I have looked at is for green bearings. Am I stuck using those crappy bearings.
Posted By: shawge

Re: 8 3/4 rear Disc brake kits - 03/15/16 05:52 AM

Have you looked at DrDiff's kits?

http://www.doctordiff.com/brakes/rear/
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: 8 3/4 rear Disc brake kits - 03/15/16 06:09 AM

Nope. As far as I know, Dr Diff is the only ones you can use tapered bearings with.

Re: 8 3/4 rear Disc brake kits - 03/15/16 06:32 AM

Ok Thanks I missed that one.
Posted By: ahy

Re: 8 3/4 rear Disc brake kits - 03/16/16 12:53 AM

Here is a pic of the Dr Diff setup. I had roasted my drums at a track day and next time out had this disk setup. Worked great and much better balanced braking.

To dial in the end play you need to slightly lengthen one axle or add adjusters on both sides. I lengthened the axle by welding a small thick hardened washer on the end.

Re: 8 3/4 rear Disc brake kits - 03/16/16 03:24 AM

Thanks good to know.
Posted By: fbernard

Re: 8 3/4 rear Disc brake kits - 03/29/16 02:26 PM

I did manage to setup a Wilwood kit with OEM bearings a few years back, but I had to have someone fabricate a metal piece on a lathe to put inside the diff, between the two axles, so they could butt against each other (tapered bearings equalize the load on both wheel bearings, so you need to be able to tighten the axles together to almost zero lash).
The Wilwood aluminum flanges added a lot of distance compared to the drum backing plates, so much the adjuster could not be used alone to correct this. If you're having new axles custom made, you can add the difference to their length.

If I had to do it again though, I'd go with a kit from DrDiff, as :
- The Wilwood inner drums for a parking brake are a joke, they do not brake worth a damn, and the aluminum flange can bend *very* easily.
- Everything I've ever bought from DrDiff was top notch, *really* bolt-on stuff.
Posted By: jcc

Re: 8 3/4 rear Disc brake kits - 03/29/16 04:11 PM

Not clear to me in your comment, are the Wilwood's an effective "parking brake"?
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: 8 3/4 rear Disc brake kits - 03/29/16 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By fbernard

If I had to do it again though, I'd go with a kit from DrDiff, as :
- The Wilwood inner drums for a parking brake are a joke, they do not brake worth a damn, and the aluminum flange can bend *very* easily.

Not surprising, internal drum parking brakes are notoriously weak. Even my factory Jeep Wrangler setup never worked well from day one. The small diameter requires a pretty high clamping load to get to the holding power of a "normal" 10-11" diameter drum brake.
Posted By: fbernard

Re: 8 3/4 rear Disc brake kits - 03/30/16 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By jcc
Not clear to me in your comment, are the Wilwood's an effective "parking brake"?

I wrote "they do not brake worth a damn".

As in "Start the engine, drive off, and if you notice a slight drag after a couple minutes of driving around, you probably forgot to release the parking brake".

Wilwood's calipers, rotors and hats are pretty good in my opinion, but the hardware is not.
© 2024 Moparts Forums