Moparts

Laguna Seca Exhaust 92db max

Posted By: RylisPro

Laguna Seca Exhaust 92db max - 03/07/16 06:10 PM

I was going to work this morning and a police officer was waiting for me and pulled me over. He said that one of the neighbors had called in a noise complaint on my car because of the noise. I have a 3 inch X-pipe setup with Magnaflow mufflers that dump out before the axle so it is quite loud, but it's not like I rev my engine to piss off the neighbors as I am very respectful of them as well and my neighborhood is right next to a train track haha! The officer was cool and let me go but said if my neighbors complain again I will get cited.

I plan on building a super quiet exhaust which is cool because now I will be able to drive at Laguna Seca with their stupid 92 decibels or less rule.

Will be using 2.25 or 2.5 inch piping to keep it all light, what mufflers would you guys use?

Thanks!
Posted By: Tomswheels

Re: Laguna Seca Exhaust 92db max - 03/07/16 07:07 PM

I used a 2.5 with cheaply turbo mufflers, never had a problem with the 93DB rule down in San Diego.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Laguna Seca Exhaust 92db max - 03/07/16 09:52 PM

Isn't dumping before the axle the first real problem?
Maybe using what you got, and simply stepping it down to 2.25 over axle and out the back tailpipe, may do the trick, be a lot easier then starting over. twocents
Posted By: 68rrunner

Re: Laguna Seca Exhaust 92db max - 03/07/16 09:54 PM

Dynomax resonators and Super Turbo Mufflers. Nice and quiet.
I had the same thing happen to me. Neighbors bitched about my old system with flowmasters, so that was the compromise. Still didn't pass the California dB requirements, but judge deemed my efforts were in the "spirit" of the law.
Posted By: joes68340s

Re: Laguna Seca Exhaust 92db max - 03/08/16 01:26 AM

Tail pipes stepped down will make all the difference. And if it still to loud you can add some small dynomax strait through mufflers as resonators.
Posted By: alltime

Re: Laguna Seca Exhaust 92db max - 03/08/16 02:44 AM

When I run my cuda at Laguna I run 2.5" Flow Masters with turn downs in front of the rear axles. When I pass the sound booth at turn 6 I have never been black flaged for being over 92db the 4 races Ive run there.

The cop cant ticket you just because they complain again. Tell him that you have been nice an leaving the Harley at home...LOL.

The inexpensive 2.5 " Turbo mufflers are basically the same sound and at levels similar to OEM Hemi mufflers from 1970, which is way quieter than 92 Db.

Sounds like you may have to start knocking on neighbors doors at 3am and apologizing for your car, Just to let them know you are conscientious of course.

Alltime
Posted By: dangina

Re: Laguna Seca Exhaust 92db max - 03/08/16 07:30 PM

i run 2.5" x-pipe tti exhaust with dynomax super turbo mufflers and dougs exhaust cuttouts so i can open them up when I want wink
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: Laguna Seca Exhaust 92db max - 03/08/16 10:21 PM

I run 2.5" tubes, flowmasters, dumped in front of the axles.... great sound, less weight... local authorities have pulled me over just asking if the car is for sale!
Posted By: 80mirada

Re: Laguna Seca Exhaust 92db max - 03/09/16 01:43 AM

i would find out what the local ordinances are. One of my friends got a ticket in a small town one night, but the only noise ordinance for the town was "No spurring your horse in front of the tavern on Sunday morning".

Re: Laguna Seca Exhaust 92db max - 03/09/16 01:47 AM

But that wasn't my horse.
Posted By: blown340

Re: Laguna Seca Exhaust 92db max - 03/10/16 06:23 AM

I run the full tti 3" exhaust with their headers on my challenger. It's quite loud when I'm on it, but when I'm trying to be respectful it isn't bad at all. Mine runs all the way out the back to tips.

I think getting rid of the dump before the axle and installing tailpipes will probably make a big enough difference to keep you out of trouble. twocents

-Jon
Posted By: Jon @ Hotchkis

Re: Laguna Seca Exhaust 92db max - 03/10/16 08:42 PM

Grab a set of 2.5" tail pipes that run as far back as possible. If those alone aren't enough you can chop out the rear section between the axle and bumper and put the longest set of glasspacks you can fit:

Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Laguna Seca Exhaust 92db max - 03/11/16 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By Jon @ Hotchkis
Grab a set of 2.5" tail pipes that run as far back as possible. If those alone aren't enough you can chop out the rear section between the axle and bumper and put the longest set of glasspacks you can fit:

I've done this on a vehicle before and it really took the raspy bite and highway drone out of the system
Posted By: Trojmn

Re: Laguna Seca Exhaust 92db max - 03/11/16 06:41 PM

Is that an optical illusion or is the exhaust running under the rear axle?

the car is on a 2 post so the suspension is full droop. From the angle of the pic it certainly looks like you could run the exhaust underneath.
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: Laguna Seca Exhaust 92db max - 03/11/16 06:45 PM

I thought long and hard about a proper solution and decided that my neighbors can go pound sand.
It took me a long time to build my car they way it is and I think its perfect no changes needed haha!

I'm just going to get a daily driver beater so I don't wake people up in the morning. I called the police dept. They were cool and they said I will only get ticketed if I get caught in the act.
I will only drive my car random times so no worries there!

Re: Laguna Seca Exhaust 92db max - 03/11/16 08:22 PM

Just make sure your exhaust issue is not a gateway to other possible violations.

This post makes me wonder if a muffler needs some exit back pressure to be most effective in quieting the exhaust. Additionally, if one wanted the loudest exhaust possible, exiting underneath the car midway, likely provides the best acoustic coupling, ie loudest, kinda like how some small consumer home sub woofers are designed, with woofers facing the floor. twocents
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Laguna Seca Exhaust 92db max - 03/11/16 08:43 PM

Ive put 2.5" turndowns on 3" mufflers and it quieted it down some. A longer bodied muffler helps also, a 14" body will be quite a bit louder than an 18" bodied muffler.
Posted By: brads70

Re: Laguna Seca Exhaust 92db max - 03/12/16 05:45 AM

I have a healthy 451 and am using a stainless magnaflow 2 1/2" system and it's pretty loud, especially when I get on it. I'm thinking of using something at the end of the tail pipe to act as a resonator? It's not too loud in the car but behind somewhat.... not REAL loud but enough to attract attention. I figure sooner or later the police will be on my case.....
© 2024 Moparts Forums