Moparts

I need better seats. Suggestions???

Posted By: Kern Dog

I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/01/15 05:10 AM

I love the look of the stock seats in my 70 Charger, but they lack the support I want for aggressive handling. I've been looking at Neon SRT4 seats mainly because they are light and have manual adjustments. Finding seats in good condition isn't easy though. Any seat I find will surely need modifications to mount them to my stock floorpan but that isn't a deal breaker.
I want highback buckets. Black and gray leather preferable. Corbeau has some nice stuff along with offering mounting brackets that are supposed to fit without mods. I hesitate to jump headfirst without sitting in any seat given the huge expense involved. I'd appreciate suggestions and pictures if possible of what seats you have, preferably seats designed for street and road course use. Thanks.
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/01/15 05:29 AM

Procar by Scat. I don't believe SRT4 seats recline forward. Everything can be bought from Summit. From the reviews that I read, Corbeau's brackets suck and usually have to be modified. I had Hotchkis make seat mounts for my Dart. The Corbeau seats are LG-1's and are the XL version (fit up to a 42" waist). The regular ones fit up to a 38" waist. I also opted for suede.

Attached picture Interior Mock Up 1.jpg
Attached picture Interior Mock Up 2.jpg
Posted By: lilcuda

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/01/15 05:55 AM

Here's a pic of the Corbeau seats in the Valiant. These are cloth, but have good support.

Attached picture 8391853-IMG_0949.JPG
Posted By: 67autocross

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/01/15 06:04 AM

I did these Procar Elites in a Dart in Black Velour, I would say they are more on the street side of the seat spectrum than race. They are a bit over 30lbs a side with brackets so they are not the lightest if thats a concern. They are comfortable but if you plan on eating cheese burgers every night you may find them a bit on the small side.

Attached picture PB120143.JPG
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/01/15 08:38 PM

Frankenduster... I suggest that you attend a major trade show... such as the upcoming SEMA/Vegas show... there will be MANY mfgrs/distributors having displays with their seats... sit in as many as you can to determine what FITS you the best.. and how much your willing to spend. The comfort levels and lateral supports vary a lot.... so do the costs. You'll pay for what you get in quality.... and consider weight and custom matching upholstery (front and rear seats together).

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/02/15 02:52 AM

Thanks everyone, great tips so far. I do plan to eventually have my rear seat reupholstered to match the fronts for the sake of asthetics. Few people ride in back anyway.
I agree that I need to sit in the seats to assess the feel. I am 5'10 and 190 lbs, 34" waist so I'd guess that most seats should be wide enough. I found a local Mustang Parts & restoration store locally, they are a distributor for Corbeau. This will at least allow me to physically inspect something up close.
SEMA? I'd love to go, but isn't that restricted to people associated with an auto related business?
Posted By: CKessel

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/02/15 03:20 AM

Fridays are supposedly open to average Joes. I'll be there thursday and friday since I am a member and have a business.
Posted By: ahy

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/02/15 03:41 AM

I run Scat Rally seats in my '70E. Good side support for the track but not a full race seat. Seats and matching custom brackets fit an E well and cost is reasonable at Summit. The only minor bracket mod was to hacksaw off the two of the three mounting holes to get them out of the way to mount the seat at stock height... kinda low. I have also run these cross country - 700-800 miles per day over 3 days - with very good comfort.

The style fits a muscle car well... plus my interior is black and the seats match in that respect so easy.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/02/15 03:43 AM

You haven't lived till you tried vinyl low back "buckets" with only a lap belt, or better yet no belt at all. Just your left elbow clamping down on the door in a manual steering car. Wee.

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/02/15 03:45 AM

Originally Posted By Supercuda
You haven't lived till you tried vinyl low back "buckets" with only a lap belt, or better yet no belt at all. Just your left elbow clamping down on the door in a manual steering car. Wee.

I've done it going through a mountain road. Unfortunately I had the luxury of power steering. Also unfortunate, I lost my brakes at the bottom of the hill. tonguue
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/02/15 03:49 AM

Well at least the pucker factor helped you hold on to the seat.

I did similar in a 74 Dart taking US60 west outta NM. I did have seat belts but no one wore them back then, 1984.

Got real interested in better braking and handling that trip.
Posted By: Charger500

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/02/15 04:26 AM

Jegs seats 70 charger

Attached picture image.jpeg
Posted By: 67autocross

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/02/15 04:28 AM

Originally Posted By Supercuda

Worst car I ever had for this is this 67 Valiant 3 on the tree, manual steering with a vinyl bench seat.....one hand on the wheel, one on the column, one foot on the gas and the other on the clutch and no lap belts......you had to use suction to hold yourself to the seat....

Attached picture 152_8653625349_3359_n.jpg
Posted By: Leon441

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/02/15 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By Charger500
Jegs seats 70 charger

What is the part number? I am looking at two different seats through Jegs. Are those seats good for full grown men? Lol
Posted By: Darius

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/03/15 01:57 PM

Greg...I have Corbeau seats in my GTX. You are absolutely welcome to sit in them and drive the car and see how you like them. Personally, I think they are every bit as comfy as the SRT seats in my Daytona. They have a "deeper" side bolster to hold you in on the tight fast turns too. As far as their mounting brackets, MAJOR modification to get them to fit . I learned some by getting them to fit and I would be happy to share that with you if you go that way.
Give me a call, I will be around on Sunday and will drive out to your place if you want.
Posted By: bill440rt

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/03/15 07:46 PM

Corbeau GTSII seats here in my '69 Charger. Had them reupholstered to match the back seats to resemble a factory appearance.
Corbeau also offers seat tracks for some Mopars which make them a bolt-in.

Attached picture 100_5689.JPG

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/03/15 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By bill440rt
Corbeau GTSII seats here in my '69 Charger. Had them reupholstered to match the back seats to resemble a factory appearance.
Corbeau also offers seat tracks for some Mopars which make them a bolt-in.

These are the seats I have in the GTX....love them!

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/04/15 12:09 AM

As always, I can count on my Moparts pals to offer help. thumbs

Darius, I might take you up on the offer. I just went to a (Please forgive) Mustang restoration supply house and sat in the Corbeau seats like Darius and Bill have. They do seem well built and supportive. I like the microsuede fabric. One seat had removeable covers for easy cleaning. That is pretty cool. I have wanted to take the Charger to Willow Springs to run it on the track. These stock seats look nice and are reasonably comfortable in general, they just are inadequate for turning corners.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/04/15 01:13 AM

I went through 3 sets of Corbeau covers, their fabric is garbage. They were comfortable but sure didn't wear well. Tim

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/04/15 01:21 AM

Originally Posted By astjp2
I went through 3 sets of Corbeau covers, their fabric is garbage. They were comfortable but sure didn't wear well. Tim

That's the only complaint I've heard about Corbeau seats and it seems to be common. More common on daily driver sort of deals for obvious reasons.
Posted By: bill440rt

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/04/15 01:31 AM

Oh, one other thing I should clarify.
The early Corbeau seat tracks were too tall. It is my understanding they are now redesigned to sit lower. Both styles might still be available.
I was given the taller style by a friend. The seats were way too tall. I had to chop 1" out of them to get them to sit lower. The seats sit much better now. Not too hard to do if you're good with a cutting wheel and a welder.
Look into the lower style if you go with them.

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/04/15 03:41 AM

The Jegs part number is 70240. I'm 6'1 240 pounds and I'm pleased with the fit and the quality is surprising for the price. I like the side release to tilt the seat back for access to the rear seat. I built my own seat frame to make them work.
Posted By: dangina

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/08/15 04:44 AM

where these the seats you have been talking about? how comfortable are they? Man I can't believe the price...

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/70240/10002/-1

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/08/15 06:14 AM

That does seem cheap. I wish a Jegs were nearby so I could test sit one of them.

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/08/15 05:06 PM

I've sat in those seats from Jegs... the later support is not bad, but could be better; the price is very good if you're looking for a low-cost seat that is better than our factory seats. There are much better choices available... seek and you will find... I looked for 2-3 years before I made a final decision. I have a Corbue GT8 driver's race seat (fixed back/non-adjustable -- superior lateral support, well padded/comfortable to driven cross country, 18 pounds without brackets.. I adapted the factory mounts). I also have a matched pair of imitation adjustable Recaros ... from JCWhitney (good low prices... I went to their warehouse while they held a big car show and sat in a few different seats... they even pulled some from their warehouse for me).. high lateral support both lower hip and upper sides... a little stiff in the back, but.. I've simply added a pad that fits lower and back for added comfort when driving long distances (take em out when on race track).... and... only ~28 pounds each. Our factory seats (E-B) are ~45 pounds each.. and offer poor lateral support.

Corbeu, Sparco, and various other name-brands offer good choices... take your time and test-sit in them... at trade shows, races, etc. Spending a little more is worth it in the long run, as well as spending the time to find the right seats.

I suggest choosing "high" lower and side lateral support... most seats don't truly offer them, despite their appearance. Also, adjustable features add comfort and value.
Posted By: BergmanAutoCraft

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/08/15 07:45 PM

I've used Sparco and Recaro with excellent results - very rigid seats. I purchased Corbeaus and was very unhappy. They looked good but for anyone over 140lbs not stout enough.
Posted By: lilcuda

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/08/15 09:28 PM

A friend of mine who works at a shop that does high end restorations and restomods told me to stay away from cheap seats since the mechanisms are typically very inferior and may not hold up in an accident.
Posted By: nutso suave

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/09/15 12:20 AM

Are these type of seats out of the question? BMW Sport Seats They are very supportive, comfortable, adjustable, and pretty cheap.

Attached picture image.jpg

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/09/15 03:55 PM

Those are the seats that I installed, but I have not driven my car with them installed. I have a friend that has them installed in his car and I have been a passenger only, but both he and his son are very pleased with the seats. So, as suggested above I sat in different seats at car shows and etc.so that is best before ordering. For the price I will try them and if I choose to upgrade later I will. I built the seat frames in a few hours to match the factory mounting holes. I have a buddy seat in the car and everything clears side to side, but the side bolsters are about an inch from the door armrest as I have them installed. I'm in the home stretch to completing many modifications to the powertrain and suspension, so I hope to put them to good use in the next few months.

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/15/15 02:14 AM

I'm still interested in this upgrade. I just have been busy with work and stuff. If I decide on the Corbeau, I may opt for leather or the microsuede.

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/15/15 02:15 AM

I'm still interested in this upgrade. I just have been busy with work and stuff. If I decide on the Corbeau, I may opt for leather or the microsuede.

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/15/15 04:31 AM

Microsuede looked much better than cloth and feels so good. If you want better handling as well, the leather may make you slide around.

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/15/15 05:16 AM

Id like to take a look at the ones that have the microsuede centers with leather outers.
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/16/15 04:25 AM

If your looking for a nice seat and good support, then maybe a late model PT Cruizer seat might be the way to go. They look nice, priced right in most wrecking yards, come in leather, good support, comply as heck and have factory design for safety. Last pair I saw in pick-n-pull was like $120 with tracks and the black leather looked really nice.
Posted By: Red Stripe

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/16/15 09:21 PM

I've got the leather with suede centers and love the look and support.

Attached picture DSC05049.JPG
Posted By: shawge

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/16/15 10:56 PM

Are those the Corbeau GTS-II?

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/17/15 02:56 AM

It looks like them. That is a nice picture. it looks straight out of a magazine or something.
PT cruiser seats might have the same drawbacks as the Neon SRT units: No way to fold them forward for rear seat entry.
Posted By: ntstlgl1970

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/18/15 08:03 PM

Tognotti's has a selection of seats that you should be able to sit in in the left rear corner of the store, but I don't remember what they have as far as brands go. Also, stores for the tuner imports will have seats, I'll also second the BMW seats, those are nice too.
Posted By: Red Stripe

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/19/15 05:28 AM

Originally Posted By shawge
Are those the Corbeau GTS-II?

Yep
Posted By: PlumCrazyChris

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/19/15 10:05 PM

The seats in my Challenger are very comfortable and supportive. They may not be very easy to find though. 2005 Mazda RX-8

Description: Mazda RX8
Attached picture Interior 3.jpg
Posted By: Jerry

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/19/15 10:20 PM

wow that looks really awesome in tan. I assume you got the tan seats and they dyed everything else to match? I just picked up sebring convertible seats for my challenger. I like the integrated shoulder harness and will be reinforcing the floor where the seat mounts.
Posted By: 70BigBlockSE

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/20/15 12:31 AM

how easy was it mount the Mazda seats in a Challenger?

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/20/15 01:14 AM

Those do look nice. I'm usually not a fan of that color but it looks great the way that you did it. thumbs

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/20/15 04:59 AM

I bought my Corbeau seats at Tognottis. One of the reasons I went this way besides the look and feel (when you sit in them) is because of rear seat access. They lean forward plenty but you do have to slide them forward before tilting them to have enough clearance for an avg sized person.

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/20/15 06:27 AM

Yeah, the fact that the Neon SRT4 seats do not fold forward was the death knell for me...

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/22/15 05:59 AM

It is a good thing that I am in no hurry. As time passes, I keep getting more and more ideas and suggestions. That is a good thing.
I like the idea of buying new, but I am also tempted by the suggestions of going with a used OEM seat. I would prefer something from a 08-15 Challenger. The wife and I have a 2015 Challenger R/T with the standard interior and the seats held me in place just fine when we had the car at Willow Springs International Raceway last Spring. They are quite comfortable. I don't need the airbags, but a power seat with lumbar adjustment might be worth the weight penalty. I'll never race this car in competition so carrying a few more pounds isn't a big deal.
I checked ebay and noticed many vendors selling full seat sets, front and rear. I have no interest in the rear seats though. I'll probably check local wrecking yards to save the shipping costs.

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/22/15 08:46 PM

Check out the Mitsubishi sport seats (~5 years ago car model?)... high side bolster and very comfortable!... they look like Recaros etc.

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/23/15 05:26 PM

Greg. Check your space vs the size of the new car seats. They would
D not fit in my GTX as they are too wide. I'm thinking your console is even wider than the one from the 07 Charger I put in the GTX. Having said that, I am in Van Nuys right now. Dennis and I met in Hollister yesterday and drove down state route 25 and 33 to miss the I5 repaying delays. Holy [censored]! I cannot believe I have never been down this road and I may never drive I5 again?, Whn you get your Charger dialed in I would be more than happy to take that drive with you. My point is about the seats though. Lots of winding twisting And hills at big speed and the seats never even came close to feeling uncomfortable nor did I slide around at all. An awesome ride. Perhaps some upcoming weekend I can come out your way and you can drive around out one of the country roads near you and see what you think.
I FINALLY have all of my performance issues resolved. I know that for a fact now after the workout I gave it yesterday!

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/23/15 07:04 PM

I saw a few pics on FBBO yesterday. 120 plus, huh?
For the last 10 years, I have often thought that for pleasure trips, the fastest route isn't the most fun. Mary and I enjoy taking drives together, often on twisty roads. I like the idea of taking a route more interesting than the usual, boring I-5 or 99. The only advantages of those highways is that more people travel them in case I have a breakdown. The car is pretty well sorted out anyway. I would have joined you guys this weekend but I just finished a side job that was GO! GO ! GO! for almost 2 weeks straight. I am tired and need some down time.
I might go to Tognottis again and see whats what.
After measuring the seats in our 2015 Challenger, they are too tall to work in the Charger. My stock high backs in the 1970 are about 36" tall. The Challenger seats are 42" with the headrest about an inch up off the seat. Width? Not sure about that but the height is enough of a deal breaker for me.

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/23/15 11:11 PM

I just checked with a Dodge/Chrysler junkyard-recycler. They have a pair of nice SRT4 seats. The height is just 2 inches taller than my stock seats. Now I'm wondering how difficult it might be to modify the hinge on the RH seat to fold forward more. Come on...We are car guys, right? We cut, weld and drill stuff all the time. $450 for these almost perfect seats, built to OEM specs for durability and crash worthiness? I am really tempted on this!
I'll probably think about this the whole weekend!
Posted By: Trojmn

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/24/15 04:39 AM

SRT-4 seat in A-body. I apologize in advance for the crappy low light pics, I might be able to pull it out of the garage and get pics in the light. SRT seat pan is ALMOST exactly the same height off the floor as my '67 seats. No new holes will drilled in my California body. This was a first attempt at brackets and i will do the passenger side differently than this, but placement is IMO perfect for me. The SRT passenger seat and 67 drivers seat is in basement if you want to see side by side pics.

I really don't see the big deal with fold up seat back hinge. 1) i will never be back there 2) just slide seat forward if more room is needed

I have ACR harness pass-thoughs to be installed and spare set OEM seatcovers ;P

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/24/15 06:18 AM

Thanks! Good to see another enthusiast with the same line of thinking. Those seats are really comfortable and form fitting. I'm anxious to move forward on this.
Posted By: Trojmn

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/24/15 06:48 AM

Ugh how depressing i installed the drivers seat a YEAR ago this month and have been fighting steering woes, over heating, and now PS/pulley/waterpump swap and now the barracuda has missed the entire autox session.. down

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/27/15 04:48 AM

I went ahead and bought the SRT4 seats. $400 and they look great. Hopefully I'll have them in this week and report on it.

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/27/15 04:52 AM

But it doesn't fold forward...

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/27/15 05:46 AM

haha

Yeah...
I'll look into modifying the RH side if it needs it. The only people that have been in the back seat in the last 3 years have been medium size or smaller. The price and condition of these seats made them hard to beat. The only issue I can foresee is that their supportive style may make me feel claustrophobic. Maybe not. We will see. boogie
Posted By: JF_Moparts

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/29/15 03:05 AM

These are very nice. But pricey.

https://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/product-areas-us/aftermarket-seats/product/sport.html

Posted By: dangina

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/30/15 02:17 AM

I love recaros, I have them in my ralliart, would like to pick up a pair for my car but they normally run around a grand for a pair:

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/30/15 05:17 AM

I did decide to go ahead with the SRT4 seats. They look great and are very comfortable. Check out the difference in the side bolsters!

Attached picture SRT 4X.JPG

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/30/15 05:22 AM

how many watts is that generator?

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/30/15 05:25 AM

Another shot. Note the seat mounted seat belt & buckle. I might have to duplicate this with the new XV Racing seat belts that I ordered. The far rearward seat belt anchor (On the driveline tunnel) would be better if it were about 5" further forward.

Attached picture SRT 4 A.JPG

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/30/15 05:28 AM

Currently, both seats are in. I'll post pictures soon. All 4 mounts are unique to each corner. Not sure why. Seats looked identical to each other. My floorpans are original and in excellent condition. I was able to make the mounts fit into the stock location and use 3 of the 4 stock holes on each side. Another plus: The seats adjust forward enough to allow an average person access to the back seat even though they don't fold forward very much.

Attached picture SRT 4 D.JPG

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/30/15 05:39 AM

I expected the seats to improve the manners of the car, but Holy Crap! What a dramatic improvement. I drive a 2007 Ram truck, the wife has a 2015 Challenger R/T. I have been spoiled with comfort and support in these late model vehicles. I'd attributed the old car's quirks to the fact that it was an OLD car. These seats make me feel more connected to the car, more locked into place and in control. No matter if I am accelerating, turning or stopping, the car feels better because I am not bouncing or sliding around. Strange as it may sound, it is as if the car handles better now. When I added the Bilstein shocks and 1.15 T-bars several months back, I was still feeling a little residual bounce on rough roads. I now see that the seat was so worn, it was causing a motion like a worn set of shocks.
The car feels great now.
Total cost: $425 for seats and metal stock for brackets. boogie

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/30/15 05:44 AM

Greg, those look really good. Were you able to reuse the Neon belt buckle that is part of the seat frame? It would be cool if you can make that work.

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 10/30/15 05:54 AM

The SRT4 seat belt had a different buckle design.
I did order a set of XV Racing 3 point seat belts to replace the Snayk Oyl ones I currently have. The S/O belts ride across my neck. The XV belts have a dogbone extension at the roof mount that drops the loop about 8 inches. This will put the sholder belt lower, hopefully across the chest! The seat belt anchor on the driveline tunnel is sorta far back though. If the new XV belts are not long enough to rest above the edges of the seat, I might either mount the female end to the seat itself or weld in new anchors in the driveline tunnel about 5" forward of their current spot.
The wife is 5 feet even. The old seats and belts made riding in the car less fun for her. These seats are really comfortable! The squeaks and creaks from the old seats are gone and suddenly the car feels newer.

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 11/04/15 03:08 AM

Originally Posted By ntstlgl1970
how many watts is that generator?

Funny. I bought that in 2006 when I was building the shop. It wasn't strong enough to power my 2 HP air compressor. I had to run 200" of air hose from the house garage to frame the shop!

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 11/04/15 03:10 AM

While both seats have been in place for a week, I just got a chance to shoot pictures.

Attached picture SRT.JPG

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 11/04/15 03:10 AM

Final shot.

Attached picture SRT 2.JPG
Posted By: sparcy

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 11/04/15 04:58 AM

i put 2008 charger power seats in my 1969 charger had to double up on seat spacers and make a small impression for power seat motor !! old ones out new ones in 2 hours . cost 250. for both .. one of best mods I've ever done .

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 11/04/15 08:29 AM

Did those late model Charger seats sit too tall? I measured the ones in our 2015 Challenger and they looked like they'd be taller than I wanted.
Posted By: 340duster340

Re: I need better seats. Suggestions??? - 11/14/15 04:15 PM

anyone have any experience or comments on the kirkey low back seats?
© 2024 Moparts Forums