Moparts

Schumacher 5.7/6.1 Gen 3 to BEC Mounts

Posted By: RylisPro

Schumacher 5.7/6.1 Gen 3 to BEC Mounts - 12/12/14 01:36 AM

Schumacher is making Gen 3 mounts for B,E & C bodies. I do not know if they fit A bodies?
you have to get in touch with them & ask
http://www.engine-swaps.com/
Maybe a better alternative to the TTI mounts?

here are some prototype pics. The ones I'm getting are powdercoated
Photobucket is acting stupid again so you have to click on the link to see the pics
[IMG]http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m69/arielrylis/BEC5761_zpsr9p5fhrn.jpeg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m69/arielrylis/DSCF1219_zpsr6173gri.jpeg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m69/arielrylis/DSCF1218_zpsyv3yfexq.jpeg[/IMG]
Posted By: AlexP

Re: Schumacher 5.7/6.1 Gen 3 to BEC Mounts - 12/12/14 06:07 AM

I had no problem with my TTI mounts. Good to see an alternative.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Schumacher 5.7/6.1 Gen 3 to BEC Mounts - 12/12/14 02:03 PM

Nice.

I've read that buying the same mounts as the headers you are using isn't a bad idea...but I've seen some worthy TTI mount with TTI header header "clearancing" as well. I was considering buying TTI and either using them as a base for modification, or maybe the headers would fit reasonably with them.

Re: Schumacher 5.7/6.1 Gen 3 to BEC Mounts - 12/12/14 03:22 PM

They cost a bit more than TTI mounts but I'll take a chance on them. I just really didn't want to give TTI anymore money since we will probably need to make their headers fit.

Schumacher is a good company and I have one of their torque straps for my 340.
Posted By: Uhcoog1

Re: Schumacher 5.7/6.1 Gen 3 to BEC Mounts - 12/12/14 03:34 PM

Quote:

They cost a bit more than TTI mounts but I'll take a chance on them. I just really didn't want to give TTI anymore money since we will probably need to make their headers fit.

Schumacher is a good company and I have one of their torque straps for my 340.

Did Schumacher make them to work specifically with your TTI headers? I'm assuming not?

You've got no room to complain if you have TTI header issues and you don't use TTI mounts.

Alex's TTI headers and mounts fit fine with the normal mods, other than the AC compressor/ header interference.

A body guys have the tight fit. Not the B and E body guys.

If you do buy Schumacher, I'll be curious to hear how they fit.

Re: Schumacher 5.7/6.1 Gen 3 to BEC Mounts - 12/12/14 04:18 PM

Schumacher stated to go ahead and use the TTI headers. I was planning to go with TTI mounts initially,
but I'm going to give these a try and report back

Re: Schumacher 5.7/6.1 Gen 3 to BEC Mounts - 12/18/14 11:12 PM

Some more pics of the mounts
[IMG]http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m69/arielrylis/DSCF1309_zps7299behq.jpeg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m69/arielrylis/DSCF1307_zpsfdwblyoq.jpeg[/IMG]
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Schumacher 5.7/6.1 Gen 3 to BEC Mounts - 12/18/14 11:51 PM

So those don't allow the oil filter in the stock location either? How about with an angle adapter?

Re: Schumacher 5.7/6.1 Gen 3 to BEC Mounts - 12/19/14 12:14 AM

Mr. Schumacher said that you can't use the 45 degree adapter.
That's why I'm trying to find a block off plate that is aluminum and less expensive than TTI's

Re: Schumacher 5.7/6.1 Gen 3 to BEC Mounts - 12/19/14 12:24 AM

Just get a remote adapter from Derale, block off plates are almost a for sure leak. This one exits out the bottom but they make them exit out the front too.

Re: Schumacher 5.7/6.1 Gen 3 to BEC Mounts - 12/19/14 01:46 AM

Yeah I am hesitant to get a block off plate especially one from TTI.

Do you have a part number for that Derale unit?
Thanks

Re: Schumacher 5.7/6.1 Gen 3 to BEC Mounts - 12/19/14 01:57 AM

Heres the side shooter
http://derale.com/products/filtration/en...nd-clips-detail
And heres mine
http://derale.com/products/filtration/en...r-25-amp-detail
And here is my filter mount that can be filter only or with a cooler.
http://derale.com/products/filtration/un...ler--6an-detail

Re: Schumacher 5.7/6.1 Gen 3 to BEC Mounts - 12/19/14 02:09 AM

Awesome! I'm going to get the one that you have
it looks like a nicer piece and I am goin to use -10 AN fittings

Re: Schumacher 5.7/6.1 Gen 3 to BEC Mounts - 12/19/14 02:12 AM

Well, brace yourself when you get the o-ring swivel fittings, $$ouch.

Re: Schumacher 5.7/6.1 Gen 3 to BEC Mounts - 12/19/14 02:31 AM

It is what it is. Quality fittings like XRP are not cheap.
I would pay any price for no leaks
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Schumacher 5.7/6.1 Gen 3 to BEC Mounts - 12/19/14 06:14 AM

Quote:

Awesome! I'm going to get the one that you have
it looks like a nicer piece and I am goin to use -10 AN fittings

Is -10 big enough?

I've seen the carnage that came from another shop into my builder's place. Twin 540 BBC from an off shore type boat. Blew up 2 of them and then blew up another one and fatally wounded the other before he changed builders. $30k EACH.

They were running -10 hydraulic lines to remote filters and the cranks were blue.

My guy said that hydraulic line is actually smaller than 5/8" that a -10 is supposed to be compared to say Aeroquip and he recommends -12 minimum. He built the guy 2 more engines and put bigger oil lines on, no more spun bearings.

Every drop of oil the engine sees has to first go thru that hose to the filter and then back to the engine so as far as he's concerned he would run a -16 if it will fit.

Kevin

Re: Schumacher 5.7/6.1 Gen 3 to BEC Mounts - 12/19/14 06:31 AM

Im not gonna use hydraulic line that's for sure. My oil is going to go through a filter then a thermostat then a cooler and then to the engine.

Re: Schumacher 5.7/6.1 Gen 3 to BEC Mounts - 12/19/14 06:58 AM

Quote:

Is -10 big enough?

The ports on the side of the block are 3/8 npt which is closest to a -8AN so the restriction will be there and the filter adapter ports which are -10 AN.
Regardless, If I have to go -12AN or even -16AN, it won't be a problem

Re: Schumacher 5.7/6.1 Gen 3 to BEC Mounts - 12/19/14 08:21 AM

You can use the top port for the accumulator and the bottom can be for a pressure sensor. That's my plan anyway. Oil temp with come bung in pan. And if I data oil pressure it will come filter adapter.
Posted By: Jerry

Re: Schumacher 5.7/6.1 Gen 3 to BEC Mounts - 12/19/14 04:25 PM

-10 even though technically 5/8 line has about 1/2 id. I would consider using -12 minimum

Re: Schumacher 5.7/6.1 Gen 3 to BEC Mounts - 12/19/14 07:34 PM

Quote:

-10 even though technically 5/8 line has about 1/2 id. I would consider using -12 minimum

Yeah I'm going to switch over to -12AN
The Derale oil adapter 72Swinger recommended is on backorder but I found this Haburger's 3320 instead

It has -12AN ports

I'm not sure how a thread about mounts became about oil plumbing haha! I'm going to start another new thread on that also

Re: Schumacher 5.7/6.1 Gen 3 to BEC Mounts - 12/25/14 03:21 AM

The mounts came in! They look and feel really robust. Here are some pics

Re: Schumacher 5.7/6.1 Gen 3 to BEC Mounts - 12/25/14 05:32 AM

Those look familiar lol!
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Schumacher 5.7/6.1 Gen 3 to BEC Mounts - 12/25/14 04:32 PM

Quote:

Those look familiar lol!

But about $150 cheaper. But I have a feeling mine would probably look the same in time.
Can't see myself blowing another $200 on a pair of mounts yet with a simple round bushing in them.

The powder coated ones do look sharp btw.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Schumacher 5.7/6.1 Gen 3 to BEC Mounts - 12/25/14 05:50 PM

Why doesn't someone make a mount that bolts to the GenIII and replicates the location of the ears on an LA block. Then you can just use whatever LA setup fits your body.

Same adapter mount for a 65 Cuda, 87 Diplomat, 92 Ram, etc instead of all this monkey works they have today.

nah, be too obvious and simple. Couldn't charge a buttload of cash for it.

Re: Schumacher 5.7/6.1 Gen 3 to BEC Mounts - 12/25/14 08:05 PM

Quote:

Why doesn't someone make a mount that bolts to the GenIII and replicates the location of the ears on an LA block. Then you can just use whatever LA setup fits your body.

Same adapter mount for a 65 Cuda, 87 Diplomat, 92 Ram, etc instead of all this monkey works they have today.

nah, be too obvious and simple. Couldn't charge a buttload of cash for it.

Because factory mounts suck, most Gen III would turn a factory mount to hamburger. Another problem is the way the acc are on a Gen III, using a factory configuration means you lose A/C and your factory oil filter location. Then the other alternative is a truck front cover with acc up high, what comes with that is you have to run a truck intake or a carb style intake because a car EFI factory intake will hit the truck cover. It sucks, that's why I went my own route, I looked at all this and everything had "extra fab work" written all over it. So I fabbed my own and removed the drivers engine mount tower off of my K member completely. That way in the future I can run a OEM size A/C compressor in the factory 6.1 location and only need a longer belt. I have to thank Wade and a few other guys for diving in ahead of me and showing me the hurdles they had to jump over on their own cars. That saved me ALOT of cuss words.

Re: Schumacher 5.7/6.1 Gen 3 to BEC Mounts - 12/25/14 09:23 PM

Nice mounts. Interested to see how they work out.

Re: Schumacher 5.7/6.1 Gen 3 to BEC Mounts - 10/10/17 08:42 AM

Quick update on the Schumacher mounts.
They are still doing great but I noticed that the driver side bolt that goes through the polyurethane bushing had loosened up over time due to vibration and slid back, luckily it stopped at the header and didn't fall off. My fault for not checking periodically. I had last checked it last year and never since but will now make it another routine check before going on a track day.

Good news is that the bolt is long enough that one can easily add a metal lock nut to prevent this issue. I'm also going to call Schumacher an notify them of my findings

Re: Schumacher 5.7/6.1 Gen 3 to BEC Mounts - 10/10/17 01:27 PM

Lock nuts are very important there! I safety wired my block to mount bolts, mostly because they're an absolute bear to remotely try to access with the header/k installed.

Re: Schumacher 5.7/6.1 Gen 3 to BEC Mounts - 10/12/17 02:52 AM

Here is a pic of how the driver side mount is installed originally. There is a lock washer on the other side on the head of the bolt. The top bolt WILL shake loose and back off due to all of the vibration over time. Luckily the two 1/2" bolts protrude just enough to add a lock nut.

I tried adding an all metal lock nut but they were too thick so I used thin nylock nuts with red locktite and marked them as well.

I called Schumacher and they said that they will take note of the issue
© 2024 Moparts Forums