Moparts

UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX

Posted By: BergmanAutoCraft

UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 12/04/14 04:42 PM

Just an FYI - Borgeson has come out with an updated version of their fast ratio steering box. Some key features of the new box - less expensive (about 100) and smaller than the previous unit. Unfortunately, they are only offering in small sector. I will be mocking up shortly and posting pictures. If anyone needs one or a large sector PM me.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 12/04/14 05:18 PM

Sounds good.

Should be this one I guess;

Attached picture 8351057-800126web.jpg
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 12/04/14 05:32 PM

How much lighter will the new smaller box be? Vs the first Borg box, as well as to the factory Mopar PS box (less pitman arm)?

I always like weight reductions.

Also, is the ratio any quicker with the newer smaller box? I favor the fastest ratios.

How many turns lock-to-lock are these Borgs boxes?

Are the Borgs boxes a staright/constant ratio, or a variable/progressive ratio?
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 12/04/14 05:57 PM

Did they fix the angle issue Hotchkis noticed?

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 12/04/14 05:58 PM

I haven't weighed it but its all the same as their earlier box, straight 14:1, approx. 15lbs lighter.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 12/04/14 07:07 PM

Quote:

I haven't weighed it but its all the same as their earlier box, straight 14:1, approx. 15lbs lighter.

With a fast ratio pitman added, I'd take a wild guess at around 10:1 ratio.

Peter is it still a Delphi 600 box?

Is it just machined different for weight/space reduction or another model steering box?

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 12/05/14 02:03 AM

I think its based off a Mustang case they already produce. My contact wasn't in today, as I had some questions regarding the construction.
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 12/05/14 04:47 AM

Quote:

So the shimming issue wasn't addressed and what was the problem with the small sector again? Not enough thread engagement?
Posted By: dangina

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 12/05/14 05:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

So the shimming issue wasn't addressed and what was the problem with the small sector again? Not enough thread engagement?

curious, will they be taking back the old ones? i installed mine in my car but my car is still not finished, so it has zero miles on the box itself. If so I'd like to send it back now while its winter time
Posted By: komninon

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 12/05/14 08:41 AM

that would be the right thing to do, replace the old ones at NO CHARGE.
if not stay with the original box.
Posted By: ThermoQuad

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 12/06/14 01:42 PM

Peter- before you sell us another box that is supposed to "bolt in" you need to address the issues with the the other box and possibly with this box rather than complain about the dog piling.

People have come on here with legitimate problems and you have not done your due diligence as a vendor. It's real simple-if a FF or stock box fits with no problems and the other box does -there is a problem with the other box or now possibly 2 boxes. Not everyone is stupid on here, so stop treating us like we are..

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 12/06/14 04:45 PM

Borgeson is not taking back the old boxes. I do not manufacture these boxes, they do.

For someone who has not bought this box or tried it, Tom - you have a lot to say. I wish you'd call me directly with your concerns.

I agree the angularity of the box has been established, but only in certain cases. However, even in the cases where the shafts weren't straight like the originals, NONE of the customers complained that has affected their steering. Remember 2 things, the coupler can take up some angle without a problem and look at new cars or rack applications with crazy angles.

This is the toughest board in the Mopar biz, and it has undoubtedly scared vendors away from posting here on numerous occasions. Most of the haters here have not bought the product or been concerned enough to call me directly.

I've been a contributor to this board for 10+ years a vendor and an advertiser. If you have legitimate concerns ask in a manner like you would face to face rather than throwing stones from behind your keyboard.

My number is 631 423 1517 if you want to speak intelligently to me.

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 12/06/14 06:17 PM

Quote:

Borgeson is not taking back the old boxes. I do not manufacture these boxes, they do.

For someone who has not bought this box or tried it, Tom - you have a lot to say. I wish you'd call me directly with your concerns.

I agree the angularity of the box has been established, but only in certain cases. However, even in the cases where the shafts weren't straight like the originals, NONE of the customers complained that has affected their steering. Remember 2 things, the coupler can take up some angle without a problem and look at new cars or rack applications with crazy angles.

This is the toughest board in the Mopar biz, and it has undoubtedly scared vendors away from posting here on numerous occasions. Most of the haters here have not bought the product or been concerned enough to call me directly.

I've been a contributor to this board for 10+ years a vendor and an advertiser. If you have legitimate concerns ask in a manner like you would face to face rather than throwing stones from behind your keyboard.

Wow.

hater for point out defects in design and manufacturing?.

Last resort there.

Borgeson put out an overpriced half @ssed designed and built box, I will point out that you stepped up to address some of the issues with installing one, which if Borgeson was on the ball they would have already done and not had to rely on their customers to be beta testers and their resellers to be the R&D department.

To refresh your memory

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rt=all&vc=1

Of course in that thread it's the haters that are the problem once again, I notice your mouth conspicuously snapped shut once the OP posted exactly the contortions he had to go thru with both you and Borgeson before he could get something done, which was to buy another box, send in the defective one and hope the Borgeson would agree it was defective and refund his purchase price.

Lesson learned here? Do not buy Borgeson stuff and do not patronize Bergman AutoKrap. Might not fix the problem but I'll be one less aggravation to deal with.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 12/06/14 06:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wow.

Last resort there.

Borgeson put out an overpriced half @ssed designed and built box, I will point out that you stepped up to address some of the issues with installing one, which if Borgeson was on the ball they would have already done and not had to rely on their customers to be beta testers and their resellers to be the R&D department.

To refresh your memory

Of course in that thread it's the haters that are the problem once again, I notice your mouth conspicuously snapped shut once the OP posted exactly the contortions he had to go thru with both you and Borgeson before he could get something done, which was to buy another box, send in the defective one and hope the Borgeson would agree it was defective and refund his purchase price.

Lesson learned here? Do not buy Borgeson stuff and do not patronize Bergman AutoKrap. Might not fix the problem but I'll be one less aggravation to deal with.

Summit, Jegs, and tons of other sell this box. Bash them too.

But everyone is piling on Bergman because he is someone that will publicly interact with people.

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 12/06/14 07:16 PM

I'm bashing on him cause of the haters comment. Real customer service there.

There is an issue with the box, at least some of them. Which tells me it's probably a manufacturing issue in regards to the shimming issue. The pitman arm spline issue is a design issues. I did point out he stepped up to the plate regarding the extra parts needed to install the box. Did you bother to read the link posted, the contortions the OP had to go thru with BOTH Borgeson and Bergman?

Bergman's post basically says the problems are haters, not the box. Which demonstrably incorrect. I would say that the feedback from here ought to be an opportunity for Borgeson to refine their product and if Bergman can kick them in the butt to get it done great, but I don't think he can. He'd rather call us haters.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 12/06/14 07:37 PM

People need to take into account that this is just as frustrating for Peter as it is his customers. He is not making a killing on these boxes I guarantee you. People want their money back? Get it from Borgeson, go directly to the horses mouth, it is THEIR baby and THEY need to take care of THEIR customers. Peter is trying to make a living catering to the Mopar crowd, which is a monumental headache in itself, and I don't remember him ever saying he was perfect. I wouldn't want to walk in his shoes either.
Posted By: jcc

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 12/06/14 08:17 PM

Regardless of the he said/she said, to work through this issue, it would help if it was taken down a notch. From what I read I emphasize with all sides here. But I would prefer it get worked out, rather then we declare one side a debate winner. I also like it kept online, so we can follow along, but it has to be civil. The point about this site being tough maybe accurate, and I think when these things go personal it takes the wind out of the sails of those who are through their own creativity trying to move the hobby forward. I sure the budget turbo project is paying attention to this outcome, same for revered new 855 tranny, and I know I would.
Since I haven't bought the gear box, but would consider it, I hope I am still inline to comment
Posted By: astjp2

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 12/06/14 08:20 PM

I agree its a manufacturer problem and they should be the ones to handle the repair/replacement. I personally think that the pinion on the box may have the splines machined off a few degrees causing all of the problems. Tim
Posted By: Uhcoog1

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 12/06/14 10:12 PM

Peter has been good to me. He straightened out a TTI issue for me that I guarantee I would not have been able to sort out alone. That did require me to take lots of pictures and measurements, which I was okay with. My frustration was not with Peter in that process, but TTI, as it was their product that didn't fit. Peter went to bat for me after confirming it was indeed a TTI issue and not my vehicle.

To sum it up, I bought TTI and Borgeson from Peter on purpose- because he is a big vendor for both and will carry more weight if I needed something fixed. Which I did need something fixed. And he did get it fixed. Sure, it took time and effort on my part, but this is a Mopar, and new products don't always fit.

I know some of y'all had a different experience, and I'm not discounting that. I'm just sharing my experience. Peter will stay my preferred vendor for both TTI and Borgeson.
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 12/06/14 10:41 PM

You're a vendor for TTI headers Pete? I didn't know that!
It's not on your website or TTI's list of authorized distributors
I need a set of TTI headers to practice my denting skills on
Posted By: Brian

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 12/06/14 10:44 PM

For me, after driving uncoog1’s Duster this summer which has the Borgeson box, I was flat blown away with the way that car drove. Wayne turned me on to Peter as a long A-Body street/road race guy. When it came time to decide on the steering box, I went with Borgeson purchased from Peter because he drives what he sells and puts his name in front of it. The problems with some of the Borgeson boxes were manufacturing defects. Peter doesn’t make these boxes; he sells them at a very competitive price.

When these issues first came to light on this board, I had some conversations with Peter. I trust his judgment and ability to negotiate with Borgeson. Let’s think twice before we burn down a Mopar business that sells merchandise that occasionally may have an issue. My experience is that Peter will go to bat for the Mopar community to make things right.

As a side note, after completing the mockup of a 5.7 block with a Hemi head, uncoog1’s battered TTI driver side header and the Borgeson box, everything fit. It was tight, but it was straight. I’m looking forward to the spring when I get my heap on the road thanks to Mopart member uncoog1, AlexP and Peter.

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 12/06/14 10:58 PM

All the drama aside, I for one would like to how much more clearance this box would give in a 3rd gen. Hemi'd A-body with powersteering.

I know the first powersteering box design seemed small enough to be able to use some kind of exhaust in an A-body, so I wonder if there's now room available for maybe a certain stock Hemi exhaust manifold?

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 12/07/14 12:08 AM

Quote:

All the drama aside, I for one would like to how much more clearance this box would give in a 3rd gen. Hemi'd A-body with powersteering.

I know the first powersteering box design seemed small enough to be able to use some kind of exhaust in an A-body, so I wonder if there's now room available for maybe a certain stock Hemi exhaust manifold?

It flat out makes power steering and a Gen III a reality in an A-body. This box has cost me so much money its sickening. But I love it.

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 12/07/14 12:48 AM

I know, I've got the first version, small sector shaft. Using it every day.

But I'm wondering if the new version of the box leaves more room for easier/better exhaust routing, as I've seen it's still a very tight fit.

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 12/07/14 02:33 AM

TTI re-jigged their headers after enough complaints and the original is a go now. I now wish TTI would make an 1 7/8" primary version.
Posted By: dangina

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 12/07/14 04:33 AM

I liked the coupler that peter sells that looks like oem, made install a breeze, now for other issues, not his fault. i hope this doesn't defer other venders with coming up with new products for our cars.
Posted By: 68cuda440

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 12/07/14 08:05 AM

Quote:

TTI re-jigged their headers after enough complaints and the original is a go now. I now wish TTI would make an 1 7/8" primary version.

You are referring to Gen III fitment, not 440, correct?

-Michael

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 12/07/14 08:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You are referring to Gen III fitment, not 440, correct?

-Michael

Yes Gen III is what im talking about. A BB can be made to fit to with some denting, with this new smaller box it might even better.
Posted By: Trojmn

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 12/07/14 05:32 PM

Right on about the coupler. I'm not sure why anyone would use a solid connector in place of the OEM slider.

The $100 less might push me over the tipping point i need to do something anyways with my junk box
Posted By: Sneke_Eyez

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 12/20/14 09:19 PM

I'll be monitoring this new box and the first couple of guys who try it out.

My wagon needs the steering box replaced within the next couple of years and I'd like to at least try the Borgeson box in it. Too many people say it is a night and day difference between the oem style and the Borgeson to ignore it.

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 12/22/14 03:35 PM

The price drop should help get everyone who's on the fence to maybe make the switch. The fact of the matter is that it does make a huge different. Having sold 35% of the total boxes sold by Borgeson I can say first hand the feedback is always the same after the installation.
Posted By: 4speeds4me

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 01/10/15 09:55 AM

Will this box withstand the higher pressure of the PS pump on a 5.7 Hemi?
Posted By: EV2CUDA

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 01/11/15 02:50 PM

I also want to know if it will withstand the high pressure Hemi ps.
I have the early borgeson box. It leaked fluid and was missing the coupler. Peter took care of the problems. He did his best to help and is an enthusiast like us. Thank you.

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 01/12/15 07:18 PM

I've used the OE boxes with gen 3 pumps without a problem. I'd imagine the new boxes would be fine too.
Posted By: 72cudarestmod

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 03/18/15 04:13 PM

Hi Pete;
I ordered a steering box conversion kit from you yesterday but no email confirmation received as of today. Please advise as to status.

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 03/18/15 09:14 PM

Check your email.
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 03/19/15 06:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wow.

Last resort there.

To refresh your memory

I just now reviewed the above URL as posted.

In this tread I said that I had built a 1/8th inch thick shim to correctly position this box on our E Body. It should have read 1/4th inch thick shim. The posting is past the time when I can edit this URL directly.

Some months of running it now, must say it has been an excellent performer, albeit a tough journey getting there.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 03/20/15 04:48 AM

I only wish I could afford one. I need the clearance for my headers on my hemi. Tim
Posted By: gold66cuda

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 03/20/15 05:47 AM

Just want to say I put one of these on my car, a 66 Cuda over the winter and now have a couple of hundred miles on it and have to say it is one of the best upgrades I have done. I had a Firm Feel 3 with a reduced pressure pump on the car for about 10 years before this which was a great upgrade over stock but this unit is a way better upgrade! I have to add this thing was a direct bolt in, no alignment issues, just plug and play!
Posted By: Dan@Hotchkis

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 03/20/15 03:26 PM

Quote:

Just want to say I put one of these on my car, a 66 Cuda over the winter and now have a couple of hundred miles on it and have to say it is one of the best upgrades I have done. I had a Firm Feel 3 with a reduced pressure pump on the car for about 10 years before this which was a great upgrade over stock but this unit is a way better upgrade! I have to add this thing was a direct bolt in, no alignment issues, just plug and play!

That is really good to hear. I'm going to try to work one of these into a future build.
Posted By: captaindodge

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 03/20/15 04:52 PM

In this tread I said that I had built a 1/8th inch thick shim to correctly position this box on our E Body. It should have read 1/4th inch thick shim. The posting is past the time when I can edit this URL directly.

On page 74 of the Mopar Chassis Modification Book it states:

CAUTION:

To prevent over stressing the steering gear housing
mounting bosses, do not use a shim pack of more
than .090" total thickness.

1/4 inch thick is hardly a "shim".

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 03/21/15 01:46 AM

Quote:

CAUTION:

Now you tell me.

Is the concern that with the thick shim on the 2 hole side likely to stress the 1 hole side mounting boss because it no longer sits flush to the K member?

I had thought about this when I shimmed the box and torquing to some 90 pounds(that's a lot of stress on the single hole ear)or so, but was frustrated and exhausted with all the time(and money) that I had invested, that I whistled past the graveyard and moved forward with the installation.

Would some type of tapered shim on the single bolt side address this concern. Not that I have any idea how to create such a beast. Likely a machine shop could do so.

Wonder what Borgeson would have to say on this. Wonder how sturdy their weld job is on these ears. Wonder if it fails and I should survive, if they would honor a warranty claim, likely be charged to user error. Makes sound sleeping at night a bit problematic.

I once had heard(on very good authority) that their test mule to prototype the 'jig' for an E Body was actually to use a "B" body "K" member. Has anyone else heard this and then of course, does it make any difference?

I can hear the chuckles from fellow forum members on a warranty claim being honored all the way out here to Calyfornua. .

Hotchkis: time for the big guns. You spent time dealing with this same issue and of course are heavily experienced in automotive engineering of components. What would be your opinion as to if this is something I should be concerned about?

Attached picture 8466298-image.jpg

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 03/21/15 01:51 AM

Just occurred to me that perhaps suspension alignment shims would relieve any stress on single hole boss,,,if is an issue.

Opinions?
Posted By: Wildjones

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 03/21/15 02:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

CAUTION:

Now you tell me.

Is the concern that with the thick shim on the 2 hole side likely to stress the 1 hole side mounting boss because it no longer sits flush to the K member?

I had thought about this when I shimmed the box and torquing to some 90 pounds(that's a lot of stress on the single hole ear)or so, but was frustrated and exhausted with all the time(and money) that I had invested, that I whistled past the graveyard and moved forward with the installation.

Would some type of tapered shim on the single bolt side address this concern. Not that I have any idea how to create such a beast. Likely a machine shop could do so.

Wonder what Borgeson would have to say on this. Wonder how sturdy their weld job is on these ears. Wonder if it fails and I should survive, if they would honor a warranty claim, likely be charged to user error. Makes sound sleeping at night a bit problematic.

I once had heard(on very good authority) that their test mule to prototype the 'jig' for an E Body was actually to use a "B" body "K" member. Has anyone else heard this and then of course, does it make any difference?

I can hear the chuckles from fellow forum members on a warranty claim being honored all the way out here to Calyfornua. .

Hotchkis: time for the big guns. You spent time dealing with this same issue and of course are heavily experienced in automotive engineering of components. What would be your opinion as to if this is something I should be concerned about?

What caused you to need to shim the position of your box? I was told the angle of the V1 box was ok, but due to many voicing concern they "fixed" it in V2. Was yours really out of whack?

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX - 03/21/15 05:16 PM

Refer to URL as posted by supercuda earlier in this thread.
© 2024 Moparts Forums