Moparts

Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap

Posted By: ntstlgl1970

Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 11/30/14 06:38 AM

I've been researching the newer hemi's for a while and I came across a deal too good to pass up. So out comes the 440 and in goes a 6.1 hemi. And the car loses some weight off the nose - so that is a plus.
The new (to me) motor should be here by the end of next week and then I'll be swapping a bunch of parts out.
I've already got a good fuel system in the car, a good sized radiator and I was using the MS3X to run the 440 so that will adapt over pretty easily. I'm using a 518 overdrive trans with a JW ultra bell to mate to the 440, so I'll have to swap the trans case with a small block case to mate up to the 6.1
Previously I was going to build a low deck 400 with victor heads. I had only collected the block and heads so I didn't go too deep down that rabbit hole.
I think going to the 6.1 will be pretty "inexpensive" if I can sell off all my B/RB stuff. I'm hoping to have the engine in the car (probably not running though) by the end of the year.

Attached picture 8346203-_AAR3844edit.jpg
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 11/30/14 06:47 AM

That's awesome!
Planning to go Gen3 next year also. Will be interested in your install.
I read somewhere that when you bolt the bellhousing to the block there is a misalignment from the trans to the flywheel?
Maybe the Gen3 experts can chime in!
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 11/30/14 07:02 AM

Usually need the Mopar Peformance conversion flexplate.
Posted By: savoy64

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 11/30/14 07:17 AM

i think it takes a bellhousing shaped shim....

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 11/30/14 07:21 AM

I ordered the conversion flexplate and motor mounts from Mancini, hoping they will be here next weekend. I already have a guy interested in buying my longblock so once I get the 440 out, it will be gone. Then all the FI stuff goes on ebay.
Posted By: Uhcoog1

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 11/30/14 02:52 PM

Awesome! Looking forward to watching your build.

For wiring and setting up your megasquirt, go to my DIY how to thread here:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=226125
Covers wiring, tuner studio set-up for the Hemi, etc. It will get you running.

Everything should line up fine with the swap flexplate. I believe the bushing in the crank stays??? Someone else can chime in on this hopefully.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 11/30/14 06:35 PM

Thanks for the link, lots of good info on your thread. I'm going to use a MAF to help tune the fuel table after using the VE table generator function in tuner studio. I ordered the knock sensor add in board and the ms3x harness as well.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 12/07/14 11:24 PM

checking with the shipping company, the engine should arrive Wednesday - need to make a hole in the garage to fit it in, supposed to get some rain that day....

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 12/10/14 06:42 AM

got a surprise - engine showed up a day early.

Also- the shipping weight was 500 lbs. 80 lbs of that was the pallet and the cardboard packing (yeah, I weighed it), so this engine weighs in around 420 lbs.

This is a long block, with intake, throttle body, exhaust, LC/LX cast aluminum oil pan and coil packs. No fluids.

Attached picture 8357212-FullSizeRender.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 12/10/14 09:20 AM

Quote:

got a surprise - engine showed up a day early.

Also- the shipping weight was 550 lbs. 80 lbs of that was the palatte and the cardboard packing, so this engine weighs in around 470 lbs.

and it has an aluminium block correct? Is it the 615hp version?

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 12/10/14 09:32 AM

honestly, I don't know which version it is. I bought this off a forum with no history, so I'm going through it to see what all the specs are.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 12/10/14 02:09 PM

Up late again, Eric?

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 12/10/14 04:51 PM

An aluminum block should have a part number on the passenger side
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/hemi/newhemi.html

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 12/10/14 04:53 PM

Yesterday was a very long day...

I had planned everything out for today so there was some serious backyard engineering we had to do.

Since the engine came in a day early, had to take off from work unscheduled, my buddy with the truck had to take off from work unscheduled also, go pickup the engine at my wife's workplace before it got buried in the warehouse, then get it into the garage without the benefit of a cherry picker. Ever try to get an engine on a pallet out of the back of a truck without a cherry picker?

This was a little scary

Attached picture 8357420-enginesillynescrop.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 12/10/14 04:56 PM

It does, I'm just not ready to spill the beans yet

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 12/10/14 05:03 PM

Quote:

Up late again, Eric?

Greg- you should come by and check this thing out, it's pretty cool

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 12/10/14 05:08 PM

470 lbs? Wow I thought it would weigh less than that.
70blackfish posted in another thread that his friends engines weighed around 425 lbs. IIRC

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 12/10/14 06:14 PM

I went and checked the bill of lading and it says ship weight of 500 lbs (it seems odd to be it is exactly 500 lbs but ok!). I've edited my initial post....

Attached picture 8357530-enginebilloflading.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 12/10/14 06:27 PM

Alright! ~approx. 420 lbs.!

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 12/10/14 07:32 PM

Hey just a heads up on the Milodon 18336 pickup.
Apparently they don't have enough materials for the tubes so they are on back order for at least 3 weeks.
When I called yesterday the guy said he had three 31003 oil pans just sitting there waiting on a pickup

I know you were looking for one as well

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 12/10/14 09:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Up late again, Eric?

Greg- you should come by and check this thing out, it's pretty cool

You should have called. I have a truck and a "knock down" cherry picker. NO need to resort to the Tom Foolery of jackstands and tire removal to load or unload an engine.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 12/10/14 10:20 PM

Yep - it was all short notice, a day sooner than all my arrangements

without the tomfoolery this would all be too easy....
Posted By: haddixj

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 12/11/14 07:15 PM

looks good, what throttle body are you planning?

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 12/13/14 03:59 AM

Probably going to run an LS type 90mm with a adapter.

Bad news is that the pistons have some scuffing damage - like I said, I didnt know the history on this engine - so i'll have to have the block honed, I hope it will clean up with just a .005" overbore. Talked to Arrow today, turns out it is a 426 crate motor.

Attached picture 8360260-5_7bore.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 12/14/14 03:05 AM

finally finished tear down - source of the issue(s) is #4 main bearing spun. Oil Passages are clear so either it got run out of oil or clearance was too tight on the mains. main spun, material sent to #6 and 7 rods, crap in those rod bearings, sent into bore, picked up by rear 4 pistons and dragged around. all other journals look ok. Will have to have crank ground on main journals, polish on rod journals, block checked and line bored as needed and 8 new pistons. might also need one intake valve along with corresponding rocker that looks like it mushroomed the valve tip a little or might clean up on the grinder.

Attached picture 8361250-rear3mains.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 12/14/14 03:26 AM

#4 main and bearing

Attached picture 8361280-number4main.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 12/14/14 03:27 AM

number 6 skirt thrust side

Attached picture 8361281-6piston.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 12/14/14 04:51 AM

Wow hopefully you got a good deal on that engine!

I'm pretty sure that has Callies Compstar rods. Nothing wrong with them, but I wanted US made rods instead.
Todd at Arrow was able to get me a set of Dryer I-beam rods that has the necessary offset.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 12/14/14 04:58 AM

Probably not necessary, but one advantage to the aluminum blocks is sleeves are cheap and replaceable. Those look like Mahle pistons. Get well informed on proper head sealing technique. What bore is it? 4.125?

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 12/14/14 05:15 AM

Yeah those should be Mahle 4.125 pistons

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 12/14/14 08:33 AM

The cylinder scuffing is pretty minor, i'm thinking that the bores will clean up with a .005 overbore. The only bummer is that the lead time on the mahle pistons is probably 6 weeks per arrow. At least the bearings are all common parts. I got a really, really good deal on this engine so as long as the block or heads didn't have catastrophic damage I wasn't going to stress on it.

Attached picture 8361588-blockid.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 12/15/14 09:22 AM

Are those rods easy to resize? I've always played it safe with rebuild of engines with spun bearings, opting to have the rods resized. If it was only a main bearing that spun, it still may be wise to "mike" the big ends of the rods to ensure their size.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 12/15/14 09:53 AM

I still need to go through and measure everything. I'm pretty confident that the rods are all ok, just swap the bearings out, even on the ones that look brand new

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 01/06/15 12:54 AM

I called Milodon on the 18336 pickup they said end of the month.
Waiting on tubes supposedly

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 01/06/15 03:52 AM

tubing? seriously? now I understand why people are not big fans of milodon. I have a bunch of parts coming this week so I hope that I can get the 440 out, the empty block and trans case in and the headers in so I can see what all needs to be done to make things fit.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 01/06/15 03:56 AM

Quote:

Are those rods easy to resize? I've always played it safe with rebuild of engines with spun bearings, opting to have the rods resized. If it was only a main bearing that spun, it still may be wise to "mike" the big ends of the rods to ensure their size.

I'm going to go through everything and see where they setup the bearing clearances. Though I found the symptoms of the problem, I'm not confident I found the source yet. When I talked to Arrow, there were no special machining operations for the aluminum block that differed from other engines, I was happy to hear that. I wish I still had access to machine shop equipment like I did in San Jose. I had to buy a dial bore gauge so I can check the rods, mains etc. But I don't mind buying tools....

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 01/21/15 04:19 AM

Quote:

Hey just a heads up on the Milodon 18336 pickup.
Apparently they don't have enough materials for the tubes so they are on back order for at least 3 weeks.
When I called yesterday the guy said he had three 31003 oil pans just sitting there waiting on a pickup

I know you were looking for one as well

Just got an email from summit, that the pickup will be ANOTHER 4 weeks! great, the pickup will be the one thing keeping me from getting this running....

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 01/21/15 04:30 AM

Yeah I called Milodon again recently and they said a few more weeks. Pretty sure it is because they only sell a handful of these pans and pickups a year. Not enough demand for it, it's not even in the current catalog!

Maybe I should develop a similar pickup... I plan to produce Mopar specific road racing products in the near future.
Posted By: 4speeds4me

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 01/21/15 06:10 AM

Frustrating, to say the least. I'm waiting for one too! The part I don't get, is why does this not come as a package? The pan requires that pickup, so why do they not come together?

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 01/21/15 06:25 AM

Supply and demand.
Milodon is too busy making money off of Chevy and Ford products to even notice us Mopar fans.
We are lucky enough to know that they even exist and have the part numbers.
Not very many people out there with late model hemi swaps and even less that actually road race them.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 01/21/15 10:53 PM

I even looked at pickups for rear sump pans and those were all at least 3 weeks out (cut and shorten and reweld). The joys of being a mopar fan

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 01/21/15 11:07 PM

It only took them them 3 weeks to get mine made, I guess im lucky.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 01/22/15 02:44 AM

got a call from arrow - my pistons made it there so they should be out to me next week. Mahle gets a thumbs up from me. Quoted 4 weeks, deliver in 3.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 01/22/15 02:56 AM

I realize that this is a hobby car and not a daily, but what about making the pickup tube yourself? If you have the part that attaches to the block and the end that sucks the oil, I'm sure that you are skilled enough to fab one yourself.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 01/22/15 07:09 AM

thinking pretty seriously about doing that
Posted By: Chally426

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 01/23/15 03:53 AM

I got a pan, pick up, dipstick tube and new indicator from modern muscle, said they had them on the shelf as a kit

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 01/23/15 04:36 AM

Quote:

I got a pan, pick up, dipstick tube and new indicator from modern muscle, said they had them on the shelf as a kit

Sure...NOW you tell us!
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 01/24/15 06:20 PM

MILODON stuff is crap...

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 01/24/15 06:38 PM

agreed, but there aren't a whole lot of options out there. I'll be working on the TTI mounts today, so that's another bit o' fun

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 01/24/15 06:41 PM

I think the screen end of the factory pickup is to big to allow the doors to open in the RR pan.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 01/25/15 03:03 AM

going to work on the motor mounts and oil pickup tomorrow. I was surprised that I could not get the 440 out of the car with the road race pan on it. pretty sure I put it in from the top with that pan on it before. Maybe, after 17 years, it just wanted to stay where it was. Once I unbolted the pan, the motor came right out. We'll see how far I can get on mocking up the hemi tomorrow

Attached picture 8406984-440out.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 01/25/15 03:24 AM

Very nice!
Are you going to use an ATI damper?

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 02/04/15 08:24 AM

I'd like to use a superdamper, but that is something that can be swapped out in the car. So I'll do that later.

Meanwhile, I worked on the motor mount brackets. With other posts I have read regarding mounts, headers and other parts not fitting correctly, I wanted to spend the time to make sure things go together smoothly prior to dropping the motor in the car. Of course there was much grinding to be done, the passenger side bracket hit part of the block casting, so I had to grind that corner of the bracket so that the bracket could be bolted to the block (it would not line up without this clearancing). In addition, the holes for the mount stud are little too small, so I had to drill those oversize. I also had to grind the stud shorter so it would not bottom out in the bracket, clean up the mounting surfaces on the mounts so they would sit flat against the bracket and also on the K-member. And lastly, I had to grind the pad of the motor mount where it was contacting the header tube on #1 cylinder.

Attached picture 8418516-bracket1.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 02/04/15 08:27 AM

motor mount stud interference

Attached picture 8418517-mount1.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 02/04/15 08:28 AM

mount to header tube clearancing

Attached picture 8418519-mount2.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 02/04/15 08:35 AM

meanwhile, the pistons showed up so now I can take the block to get machined.

Attached picture 8418523-pistonnew1.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 02/04/15 08:42 AM

Also the throttle body and adapter I ordered showed up. With the adapter, you can run a LS style throttle body

Attached picture 8418526-throttlebody1.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 02/04/15 09:16 AM

To offset the good progress made was all the bad stuff I found when swapping parts for the transmission. going from the big block to the hemi meant I have to swap trans cases. Since I rebuilt the trans prior to putting it behind the big block, I need to swap all the parts out of the case into a small block case. When I got the trans out of the car and tore into it, there was some bad news. 1 - the converter either ballooned or there was not enough clearance when the parts were bolted together. The converter was hitting the front pump seal, which wore a groove into the base of the converter drive hub. I will end up having to send the converter back to get checked out and see if they can set it up with a shorter assembled height if it was not ballooned. 2 - the TCS direct drum in the trans has a bronze bushing insert in the aluminum. The stator support seals wore pretty serious grooves into the bushing so I'll have to replace that prior to putting the trans back together. I was surprised at the amount of wear considering the low miles on the trans. From what I understand from another post on here, the seals provided with the drum are pretty aggressive. I need to talk to TCS and see if there are any options on using a different seal. I was starting to have issues with clutch chatter in reverse and I guess this was the source. I guess I just expect too much from these parts. It's pretty aggravating.

Attached picture 8418529-drum1.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 02/06/15 10:54 PM

got the engine mocked up in there. Will work on headers over the weekend.

Attached picture 8421206-Img_1932re.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 02/06/15 10:55 PM

another

Attached picture 8421207-Img_1934re.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 02/06/15 11:01 PM

Awesome!
Can you get a shot of the oil filter and engine mount area on Pass side please?!

Also I called Milodon a while back about the 18336 pickup and Ken Sink said that it was still being made which is complete BS!

I kept calling back today until I spoke to Steven and he said that they would see if a run of the parts could be done next week and shipped out. I said that I didn't need mine to be plated and that would save a couple of days. Maybe if people kept calling in, a fire could be lit on someone's behind. You figure that an oil pickup tube ordered mid-Nov. 2014 would be ready by now...

Thanks
Posted By: AlexP

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 02/07/15 01:39 AM

Those wheels are awesome!

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 02/07/15 01:39 AM

Quote:

Awesome!
Can you get a shot of the oil filter and engine mount area on Pass side please?!

Also I called Milodon a while back about the 18336 pickup and Ken Sink said that it was still being made which is complete BS!

I kept calling back today until I spoke to Steven and he said that they would see if a run of the parts could be done next week and shipped out. I said that I didn't need mine to be plated and that would save a couple of days. Maybe if people kept calling in, a fire could be lit on someone's behind. You figure that an oil pickup tube ortdered mid-Nov. 2014 would be ready by now...

Thanks

Tom is who got mine handled in 15 days.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 02/08/15 12:49 AM

Quote:

Awesome!

I kept calling back today until I spoke to Steven and he said that they would see if a run of the parts could be done next week and shipped out. I said that I didn't need mine to be plated and that would save a couple of days. Maybe if people kept calling in, a fire could be lit on someone's behind. You figure that an oil pickup tube ordered mid-Nov. 2014 would be ready by now...

Thanks

here you go - bummer with this oil filter adapter is you can't bolt it in prior to bolting the motor mount to the k member. Then I missed that I need to cut the corner off the motor mount below the hole for the adapter, you can't get the adapter bolt in there and since access to the nut for the mount where it meets the engine bracket is so limited, you can't really loosen the nut, raise the engine to put this last bolt in and drop it again.

Attached picture 8422224-oilfilteradapter.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 02/08/15 12:53 AM

I'm happy with the header clearance on the driver's side with the steering box. I have to do some work to get the AC compressor in there but overall the headers fit ok so far.

Attached picture 8422228-header2.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 02/08/15 12:57 AM

Thanks so much that viewpoint is awesome!
Looks like there is plenty of space for the Hamburger oil filter block off adapter I will be using with some 45* degree fittings

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 02/08/15 01:07 AM

passenger side

Attached picture 8422242-header3.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 02/08/15 01:13 AM

yeah I think that you should have plenty of room. After seeing the adapter and how it all fits in there, I'm thinking it is a better idea to use the remote adapter and fittings vs the angled adapter and an oddball filter. The stock, somewhat short, filter doesn't fit at all.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 02/08/15 01:15 AM

Quote:

Those wheels are awesome!

Thanks! Once I put them on the car, I had one of those "oh hell yeah" moments.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 02/09/15 08:16 PM

Quote:

I realize that this is a hobby car and not a daily, but what about making the pickup tube yourself? If you have the part that attaches to the block and the end that sucks the oil, I'm sure that you are skilled enough to fab one yourself.

I bought a Durango oil pickup off ebay to see if I can make it work - If anything, it could be too long which is ok....

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 02/10/15 06:39 PM

I called Milodon again, they said they were working on the 18336 oil pickups. The gold iridite plated ones are supposed to go out by next Friday. I asked for one un-plated since it will be in oil anyways and mine is supposed to ship out this Friday.

This is what the guy said so we'll see. Maybe he just told me that because he is sick of me calling in all the time haha!
I think someone else should call in to confirm this info or even ask for a un-plated version as well

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 02/13/15 04:06 PM

Some good news! My oil pickup and pan were finally shipped to Arrow Racing.
Bad news is that they forgot to weld a small section of the tube haha! WTF!?!

Oh well it is what it is, easy fix... I am glad that it was caught!
Todd from Arrow mentioned that the clocking of the pickup tube was a little off but it should still work.

The rest of 18336 pickups should be coming out shortly after finally seeing mine, although I would run them over a fine tooth comb to see if any other mishaps in welding happened
Posted By: AlexP

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 02/13/15 04:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Awesome!

Thanks

here you go - bummer with this oil filter adapter is you can't bolt it in prior to bolting the motor mount to the k member. Then I missed that I need to cut the corner off the motor mount below the hole for the adapter, you can't get the adapter bolt in there and since access to the nut for the mount where it meets the engine bracket is so limited, you can't really loosen the nut, raise the engine to put this last bolt in and drop it again.

I made the same mistake. I shortened the bolt a tiny bit and ground the head a bit for clearance. I got it in by only having to lift he motor a little on that one side.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 02/24/15 04:15 AM

Hey can you take a look and compare your con rods please? I paid for Dyer I beam rods but Arrow sent me pics of these?

I'm not sure what rods they are?
If these are Eagle H beams I'm gonna be so pissed!

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 02/24/15 04:24 AM

pretty sure mine dont look like that. I'll check.

My main caps don't look like yours either. Taking the block and crank by the machine shop tomorrow to have them check them out

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 02/24/15 04:32 AM

Ok thanks!

Here is another pic for reference

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 02/24/15 05:18 AM

Look like Carillos.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 02/24/15 05:25 AM

If they are Made in USA I don't care what they are!
Just as long as they are not made in china...

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 02/24/15 05:46 AM

Can't believe how crappy that pickup is welded, they must had their 4th string welder on those. Mine looked great in the weld dept, like professional. Dyes makes H beam rods to fyi,. Sorry to keep hijacking your thread Nstlga.....

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 02/24/15 06:09 AM

I sent these same pics to Dyer and they said that these are definitely not their rods.
I was actually excited to own a set, but oh well that's life...

Yeah sorry for the hijack ntstlgl1970

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 02/24/15 06:30 AM

gotta keep in mind that the chinese rods are copies of the high end rods, so I would not be surprised if they look similar. I'll post up pictures of mine in a little while

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 02/24/15 03:26 PM

I got in touch with Arrow and apparently these are Callies Ultra H beams.
I didn't need the Dyer I beams since I'm not running boost or a ton of torque/hp

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 03/04/15 12:04 AM

Called milodon and the guy says 3-4 more weeks for the pickup. I'm calling summit to cancel my order. I'll make the durango pickup work. F_U milodon.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 03/04/15 03:16 AM

What a collection of ineffectual assclowns.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 03/04/15 03:35 AM

Quote:

What a collection of ineffectual assclowns.

Truer words have never been said...

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 03/04/15 05:02 AM

Quote:

Called milodon and the guy says 3-4 more weeks for the pickup. I'm calling summit to cancel my order. I'll make the durango pickup work. F_U milodon.

Man that really sucks! I was hoping that my calling in for the pick-up would also get yours made as they said that a few others would get plated?
A custom pick should not be too hard to weld up

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 03/04/15 05:48 AM

Just before you shook their tree, Rylis, they had sent me an e-mail saying I was looking at mid-March. Then a couple days later, I got shipping confirmation. I was hoping everyone who was waiting was gonna be taken care of...

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 03/04/15 06:19 AM

I called summit and cancelled my order. The guy I talked to at Milodon made me feel less than confident that anything would be done soon.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 03/05/15 12:24 AM

I dropped my parts off at the machine shop, they said the crank should be ok. Depending on the timing, I might have them put the short block together. turnaround looks like 2 weeks. that leaves me 3 weeks to get it together, put it in the car, finish the wiring, tune and head down south. Sure! no problem!

Spring Fling is starting to look iffy.....

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 03/08/15 07:11 PM

who did you use for the machine work in Sac? hopefully you make it to spring fling. What model pickup number are you looking for from milodon? I have a pan and pickup I got a few years ago. give me a call or text
Jason

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 03/08/15 10:59 PM

I ended up going to Rex Hutchison in Sac on recommendation of friends. I'll get in touch with you about the oil pan. Thanks Jason

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 03/11/15 07:51 AM

And because I don't have enough stuff to do, I found one of my rocker shafts is bent (maybe that is why there were bearing issues) and I need to replace the pump on my transmission because the gear ate the stator support. Good times!
At least a new rocker shaft, with rockers is $89 from the dealer - quite reasonable...

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 03/11/15 06:43 PM

Quote:

And because I don't have enough stuff to do, I found one of my rocker shafts is bent (maybe that is why there were bearing issues) and I need to replace the pump on my transmission because the gear ate the stator support. Good times!
At least a new rocker shaft, with rockers is $89 from the dealer - quite reasonable...

You think your bellhousing could've been off of index? Seems odd it ate itself that quick.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 03/13/15 03:06 AM

The pump gear ate into the stator support face, like there was a thrust issue or not enough clearance. There was some damage to the converter too that I have to have fixed. I thought I had enough clearance, but maybe not or maybe I ballooned the converter - which would be weird since the 440 that was in front of it didn't make a huge amount of power. The front pump bushing actually looked pretty good so the converter to pump drive tube concentricity was close. At least with the small block case, I don't have to deal with centering the bellhousing on the front pump bore like you have to do with the JW ultrabell. Got the pump today, so I am hoping to get the trans air checked and buttoned up tonight.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 03/13/15 03:31 AM

I got ya, my head was thinking drum bushings, not thrust washers.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 03/19/15 08:34 AM

I've got the transmission back together and everything checks good. Converter isn't back yet. Engine is still in progress at the machine shop.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 03/19/15 12:02 PM

Hey just a heads up,
I pulled my radiator yesterday and when I checked the zinc anode it was all ate to crap. I had last checked that thing about 2 years ago and it was still in good condition. My radiator still works fine no leaks so I didn't think the galvanic corrosion would be that bad. I was amazed to find the anode to basically crumble in my hands. With this new motor I went and got a new aluminum radiator and will replace my hoses with some Gates green stripe hoses,
http://www.gates.com/products/automotive...ly-coolant-hose
replaced the steel water neck with an aluminum piece,

and will put in another sacrificial zinc anode. Also going to use some aluminum engine specific coolant and flush more often.
Posted By: 73MagDuster

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 03/19/15 02:03 PM

Use the Chrysler orange HOAT coolant. Lasts a long time and it's what the new Hemi's are tested and born with.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 04/26/15 07:48 AM

Picked up my parts from the machine shop yesterday. I'm now the proud owner of a torque plate. Really messed up my budget but I didn't have a choice. So today I went to start assembling the short block. I was just going to throw the crank in there are run it but thought better of that and set up the dial indicator, lay in the crank and check it for straightness. Done for the day, crank is bent about .0035". Not sure what that is about. Since they had to send the crank out to get ground and I did not have them assemble it, I can't blame the machine shop I guess. I could straighten it myself, but that would require me to build some V blocks - besides I just spent some money to have it worked on. Since I paid someone to grind the thing, I'll talk to the machine shop on Monday and have them straighten it. Disappointed that the place that ground the crank either didn't straighten it or it bounced around in the truck on the way back to the machine shop.
Posted By: gold66cuda

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 04/26/15 09:03 AM

Originally Posted By ntstlgl1970
Picked up my parts from the machine shop yesterday. I'm now the proud owner of a torque plate. Really messed up my budget but I didn't have a choice. So today I went to start assembling the short block. I was just going to throw the crank in there are run it but thought better of that and set up the dial indicator, lay in the crank and check it for straightness. Done for the day, crank is bent about .0035". Not sure what that is about. Since they had to send the crank out to get ground and I did not have them assemble it, I can't blame the machine shop I guess. I could straighten it myself, but that would require me to build some V blocks - besides I just spent some money to have it worked on. Since I paid someone to grind the thing, I'll talk to the machine shop on Monday and have them straighten it. Disappointed that the place that ground the crank either didn't straighten it or it bounced around in the truck on the way back to the machine shop.

Wow,if you didn't have bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all!

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 04/27/15 05:24 AM

Eh - I'm pretty stubborn and patient so I'll get through this. It's a mopar thing right?
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 04/27/15 05:54 AM

Originally Posted By RylisPro
Hey just a heads up,
I pulled my radiator yesterday and when I checked the zinc anode it was all ate to crap. I had last checked that thing about 2 years ago and it was still in good condition. My radiator still works fine no leaks so I didn't think the galvanic corrosion would be that bad. I was amazed to find the anode to basically crumble in my hands. With this new motor I went and got a new aluminum radiator and will replace my hoses with some Gates green stripe hoses,
http://www.gates.com/products/automotive...ly-coolant-hose
replaced the steel water neck with an aluminum piece,

and will put in another sacrificial zinc anode. Also going to use some aluminum engine specific coolant and flush more often.

Have you done a electrolysis check on your motor? Take a voltmeter and ground the black/neg. and dangle the red/pos. in the coolant with an open radiator cap. Should be less than .3 volts (300 mV).

Are you mixing tap water with green coolant?

Description: This is 76.8 mV
Attached picture 6_10_11ElectorolysisTestSm1.jpg

Description: Distilled water, Justice Brothers Radiator Cooler p/n 22p and Cooling System Protector 1csp
Attached picture FanShoudSm55.JPG

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 04/29/15 04:20 PM

Machine shop got the crank straightened out, it's under .001" now. Made a little progress last night. Looks like I need to shorten and move the oil pump pickup to the centerline of the crankshaft to meet up with the oil pickup area on the pan. I think that it should end up just over #3 main cap, so couple inches forward and about an inch towards the crank centerline. Probably will leave that until the weekend and continue assembling on the shortblock.

Attached picture crank 1.jpg
Attached picture pickup1.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 04/30/15 05:49 AM

Hey Eric, what are those marks on the crank counterweight and the main caps? It might be my aging eyes, but it looks like there are some marks or something there.
Looks very clean, the bare aluminum. That is going to be really great!

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 04/30/15 07:16 AM

It's the arp assembly lube for the fasteners. If you glance at it really quick, it looks like there are big gouges in everything. I'll get the extra lube stuff off of there before I button the pan up. Fun task of filing rings will start tomorrow.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 04/30/15 05:10 PM

Going ok....hope to get more done tonight

Attached picture IMG_2285.JPG

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 05/01/15 01:57 AM

It's the arp assembly lube for the fasteners. If you glance at it really quick, it looks like there are big gouges in everything. I'll get the extra lube stuff off of there before I button the pan up. Fun task of filing rings will start tomorrow.

It does look like gouges in the metal!
Glad that it isn't!

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 05/03/15 09:37 PM

Got the oil pump, timing cover and balancer on. Good thing I have a microwave/convection oven in the garage, had to heat up the balancer hub to get it on the crank since the balancer bolt thread is so deep on these motors, my regular damper installer tool wasn't going to work. Also the FedEx guy showed up just in time so I could install the 3/8 NPT x -10 fittings for the oiling ports in the block. Looks like one of the fittings might be very close to the guard on the back of the alternator once the hose is attached to it, will need to investigate that further. I got all the pistons miked and the shortest rods paired up with the tallest pistons, smallest pistons in the smallest bores, etc. It's going pretty smooth now. Just not fast enough!

Attached picture t cover.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 05/03/15 10:44 PM

Looks great!!

Yes- the oil fittings and the alternator are close (touching, actually). My upper 90* -10 end presses up against the alternator cover (the hose end of the 90, not the -10 AN end), and I have to lever the alternator in place. I have that hose going between the alternator and head, so it is angled slightly forward, and that's what causes the most interference.

I have a car alternator. Not sure if the jeep alternator has the same back cover depth.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 05/05/15 07:33 AM

Forgot how long it takes to file fit rings, 3 holes down 5 to go. I'll have to spend some more time on the alternator to oil line clearance after I get the long block together.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 05/05/15 08:24 AM

I had to grind down one of the hex's to get mine to fit

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 05/05/15 02:38 PM

Getting it done! And I bet it will be a better motor than ever now.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 05/15/15 04:23 PM

I hope it will be better than ever - making progress. I think I will be able to drop it in over the weekend. Also got the oil line fitting issue sorted out. Still lots of stuff to do, but things are looking up

Attached picture IMG_2327 cr.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2328cr.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 05/17/15 07:40 PM

All that aluminum looks great.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 05/17/15 07:59 PM

Got the AC compressor mounted up, cut the compressor, cut the k member, dent the header, grind the motor mount - piece of cake right?

Attached picture IMG_2341.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2350cr.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 05/18/15 01:16 AM

If it were easy, JC Whitney would have a $19.95 swap kit to do it.
Guys with determination and skill are a MUST for this sort of thing.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 05/18/15 07:43 AM

there isn't a whole lot of clearance after doing all this stuff, I hope it will be ok....

Attached picture IMG_2340cr.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2346cr.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 05/18/15 11:10 PM

I found that the alternator actually hits the AN fiiting I used as oil ports
I had to cut out a portion of the plastic on the back of the altermator to make things all fit

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 05/25/15 04:49 AM

I think that whoever mentioned cutting the motor mounts off the k member was onto something, what a pain the ... might as well start from scratch.

also including funny picture of me taking a break watching the indy 500

Attached picture k member.jpg
Attached picture k member2.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 05/25/15 05:49 AM

Looks like the Indy car is about to meet the wall.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 05/25/15 07:14 AM

If you have a MIG, do it yourself. Im very glad I did.
Posted By: gold66cuda

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 05/25/15 07:38 AM

Turn off the boob tube and get welding, the fall fling track day is coming! Id rather be driving than watching. Eh!

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 05/25/15 06:47 PM

The welding is the easy(ier) part. Cutting all the extra bracing off that I put on before and figuring out how to add some rigidity back to the steering box mount and leave space for the compressor etc is what is hard.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 05/25/15 09:50 PM

1/4" plate doesn't flex.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 05/25/15 10:21 PM

I think mine will end up similar except I'm going to add a forward brace in this area, depending on clearance

Attached picture IMAG0274_zps8n62tzsq edit.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 05/25/15 10:30 PM

Yeah not a bad idea, I was in a "make as much room as possible" mode for AC later when I did it so if a brace fits, why not?

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 05/30/15 08:41 PM

some progress pictures, down to the last two pieces to weld in then this part is done.

Attached picture mount 3.jpg
Attached picture mount 4.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 05/30/15 08:46 PM

getting to this point has taken about 4 cutoff wheels 4 sawzall blades 2 grinding wheels and one plasma tip. In some places the welds were close to 1/2" thick because of overlapping braces. I "should" be able to finish up and paint the k member today so I can drop the motor in tomorrow. Hopefully there are no other snags at this point.

Attached picture mount 6.jpg
Attached picture mount 7.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 05/31/15 06:30 AM

Put the motor in tomorrow? I thought you were coming over to mow my lawn.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 05/31/15 07:32 AM

Uh, no you need a riding mower for your place!

The k-member stuff is done, started on the oil pump pickup. Started with a durango pickup, made about 5 cuts to it. It's tacked up now, will add the tab that goes to the main stud and button up the pan tomorrow. After that I can drop the motor in the car.

Attached File
IMG_2384.JPG  (452 downloads)
Attached picture pickup 3.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 06/02/15 07:47 AM

It's in, wasn't expecting to have to cut the two bolt bosses off the block to clear the starter, which made things take longer than expected.

Attached picture engine in 1.jpg
Attached picture engine in 2.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 06/02/15 07:49 AM

last one

Attached picture engine in 3.jpg
Posted By: Sneke_Eyez

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 06/02/15 09:37 PM

Niiiice! I really like those valve covers!
Posted By: Darius

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 06/04/15 02:16 PM

NICE!!! Can't wait to see it in person.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 06/04/15 03:12 PM

Looks great!!!

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 11/09/15 10:01 PM

any updates?

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 11/10/15 08:14 AM

Progress has been slow - going to SEMA recharged me to get this thing done. Mainly I've been working on the wiring, trying to get the harness to lay out right and look tidy. It's coming along

Attached picture where is it now.jpg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 11/10/15 08:29 AM

A car that beautiful AND a high tech modern Hemi?
Heck yeah!
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 11/10/15 08:57 PM

awesome!

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 03/13/16 08:22 PM

At the point of firing it up, have to make some adjustments on the cam sensor settings in the controller, but I have spark and injector pulse now

Attached picture image.jpeg

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 03/13/16 08:41 PM

AWESOME!!! Are you planning on Track Day on the 21st??

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 03/13/16 09:11 PM

Awesome, looks like you went with MS3.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 03/13/16 09:46 PM

Darius, yes on track day. It is MS3x. Have to get rid of this 12mo old gas now.....oops

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 03/13/16 10:25 PM

Very cool! Drive it as much as possible so you can work out the bugs.
Been driving mine 6 months and still find some bolts get loose and other minor issues

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 03/24/16 06:15 AM

Got it to kick over tonight, ran out of time though so I'll have to get it idling Friday.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 03/24/16 10:17 PM

Right on!!! Can't wait to see how this turns out for you.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 03/25/16 02:53 AM

Eric is meticulous. He will get it right and the car will kick ass. Less weight on the front may require a little suspension tuning, huh ?

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 03/25/16 08:16 AM

I have to lower the front end about 2" to get it back to where it was. I like having that kind of problem. Also got the week before SFSF off work, for all the last minute stuff that comes up.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 03/29/16 06:54 AM

It runs now, weird how mellow it sounds compared to the 440

http://s830.photobucket.com/user/ntstlgl...rxwurm.mp4.html

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 03/29/16 01:27 PM

Right on!! Do not let that mellow sound fool you!
Posted By: lilcuda

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 03/30/16 03:33 AM

It runs now, weird how mellow it sounds compared to the 440

http://s830.photobucket.com/user/ntstlgl...rxwurm.mp4.html

Sounds great!

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 03/30/16 07:29 AM

Thanks Lee, are you bringing the red brick to the Mopar alley show? I'll definitely be there this year
Posted By: lilcuda

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 03/31/16 09:24 PM

Thanks Lee, are you bringing the red brick to the Mopar alley show? I'll definitely be there this year

I'll probably be there depending on the date.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 04/25/16 01:23 AM

well, f me - I took a whole week off of work to get ready for spring fling and speed fest but instead I missed everything and lost my deposit and entry fee for both because of a charging system problem. I'm just pissed at this thing right now and want to burn it to the ground. But I won't. I guess it's good to know that 19vdc won't damage an MS3 controller...
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 04/25/16 02:37 AM

What are you using for charging system control?

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 04/25/16 02:42 AM

Have to use old school regulator.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 04/25/16 03:03 AM

Originally Posted By 72Swinger
Have to use old school regulator.

I've thought about using a Ford FPDM module and just let the MS3 control it.

I thought the MS3 can control an alternator via PWM but couldn't take the full alternator field load through it....but I've slept since reading that.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 04/25/16 03:08 AM

I was in the exact same situation earlier in the year so I feel your pain.
I had to send in my oem 160 amp alternator to get internally regulated. It cost about $60 plus shipping
http://www.qualitypowerauto.com
The old school external regulator wasn't working for me at all.

Hope this helps!

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 04/25/16 05:10 AM

You cant use a parts store stock replacement, you have to use a heavy duty replacement. Wade has the wiring diagram, its simple but I cant remember it exactly. Switched 12V to stock field wire or something. I know it works on mine, 14.2-14.4 at the batt.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 04/25/16 05:31 AM

I did use the heavy duty TransPo C8313 external regulator the one with a rotary switch on the back of it but for some odd reason it didn't work for me?

If yours goes bad PM me and I'll send one to you as I have 3 in my garage haha!

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 04/25/16 05:45 AM

The ms3 is supposed to run it via pwm on the main board injector output but I don't think the frequency is high enough, still doing research...this alternator uses a positive voltage signal vs. the older ones that ground the field

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 04/29/16 07:05 AM

I weighed the car tonight, the weight balance front to rear is better than I thought it would be an improves with me in the car

Attached picture image.jpeg
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 04/29/16 04:21 PM

ntstlgl1970 -- Did you disconnect the sway bar end links when you did the weight scaling? Try doing that and then re-weigh as you might find differences.... then re-attach the sway bar end links equally by shimming each end, assuming they are typical stock-style (pending your sway bar end link designs). Also, be certain tire pressures are where you want them to be, and of course with driver's weight included at the driver's seat.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 04/30/16 06:53 AM

I did not disconnect the end links since I was interested in seeing the total weight and f/r balance. I will try that though

Thanks!
Posted By: HP2

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 11/17/17 10:59 AM

Any updates? I'm curious as hell, just started a 6.1 swap!
Posted By: AeroMonte

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 11/26/17 03:15 PM

I'm starting a Hellcat swap into a 71 Cuda right now too. lots of learning to do

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 11/26/17 09:28 PM

Eric is still alive but he is not as active here or elsewhere.

Re: Another Gen-III Hemi E-body swap - 12/19/17 07:32 AM

I haven’t checked in for a while, but I’m still around. Need to get a pro to tune the engine and finish the interior
© 2024 Moparts Forums