Moparts

Detroit Speed Charger

Posted By: RichV

Detroit Speed Charger - 09/16/14 02:18 AM

Has anyone seen the Detroit Speed Charger? It look like it has Camaro rear frame rails as well as the front clip. I guess you work with what you know.

http://detroitspeed.com/Projects/moe-1969-charger/moe-1969-charger-pg-1.html
Posted By: goldduster318

Re: Detroit Speed Charger - 09/16/14 03:27 AM

Because when a car company makes a nice stiff frontend that isn't just a cantilever beam sticking out of the front end, you replace it with something that is to make it worse.
Posted By: 68cuda440

Re: Detroit Speed Charger - 09/16/14 03:48 AM

Quote:

I guess you work with what you know.

When the only tool in your box is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. I spent almost nine months listening to the guy who owns the shop that painted my car talk about the superiority of the coil over set-up and how front steer rack was the only way to go. "The best thing I could do was convert my car to a coil over set-up and get rid of that rear steer set-up."

Oh... forgot to mention, most of the cars he builds are 1st gen Camaros w/ DSE suspensions.

-Michael
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Detroit Speed Charger - 09/16/14 06:30 AM

There was talk DSE was gonna make a Mopar specific front suspension but I'm sure it went out the window after a market analysis.....
Posted By: brads70

Re: Detroit Speed Charger - 09/16/14 02:04 PM

Not much "Mopar" left but I can appreciate the workmanship. A ton of hours into it for sure.
Posted By: Sneke_Eyez

Re: Detroit Speed Charger - 09/16/14 07:37 PM

Quote:

There was talk DSE was gonna make a Mopar specific front suspension but I'm sure it went out the window after a market analysis.....

Yeah, which is too bad. I'd have at least liked to see what they came up with, I've been impressed with their stuff for the Chebbies.
My grandfather is considering putting their stuff under his 66 Nova.

Quote:

Not much "Mopar" left but I can appreciate the workmanship. A ton of hours into it for sure.

I feel this way as well. The car looks like it will be an impressive build once completed.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Detroit Speed Charger - 09/16/14 09:24 PM

I should buy an early Camaro and convert it over to torsion bars and drop a 340 six-pack into it.
Posted By: Uhcoog1

Re: Detroit Speed Charger - 09/16/14 09:31 PM

Quote:

I should buy an early Camaro and convert it over to torsion bars and drop a 340 six-pack into it.

Please oh please do this
Posted By: Dan@Hotchkis

Re: Detroit Speed Charger - 09/16/14 09:50 PM

I think the "money is no object" thing to do would to be get one of their "holy grail" cars like a COPO or something, and then convert it to 3Gen Hemi and Viper suspension.

Re: Detroit Speed Charger - 09/16/14 10:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think the "money is no object" thing to do would to be get one of their "holy grail" cars like a COPO or something, and then convert it to 3Gen Hemi and Viper suspension.

Ha, this would be amazing.
Posted By: amxautox

Re: Detroit Speed Charger - 09/16/14 10:27 PM

Don't waste the Mopar stuff, use a celica.
Posted By: 72d100

Re: Detroit Speed Charger - 09/17/14 04:59 AM

I have been here long enough to know better then to say this but why cant anybody just be happy anything at all gets made for these cars?

Re: Detroit Speed Charger - 09/17/14 05:04 AM

Quote:

I have been here long enough to know better then to say this but why cant anybody just be happy anything at all gets made for these cars?

What do you mean?
Adapting Chevy parts to a Mopar isn't making stuff for Mopars...
Posted By: 72d100

Re: Detroit Speed Charger - 09/17/14 05:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What do you mean?

i highly doubt its straight off the chevy without modify the design in some way to fit the mopar. plus everyone acting like its factory camaro stuff and not aftermarket

Re: Detroit Speed Charger - 09/17/14 03:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What do you mean?

i highly doubt its straight off the chevy without modify the design in some way to fit the mopar. plus everyone acting like its factory camaro stuff and not aftermarket

If they put up their stuff for sale for Mopar applications, then I'll believe you that they've built something for a Mopar.
I'm not against removing torsion bars so much as I'm against adapting Chebbie stuff to fit a Mopar. If they want to super impress me with this car, they'd have to have built a bolt-in Mopar front and rear subframe like RMS does and then put it up for sale.
But they haven't done that, so I'm still not sure what you're going on about...
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Detroit Speed Charger - 09/17/14 05:55 PM

I suppose kotacars is bummed that he isn't the first to do this.

Quality appearing build, though I didn't bother to look beyond the first page.
Posted By: sparcy

Re: Detroit Speed Charger - 09/18/14 03:40 AM

I did the roadrunner hood on my 69 charger 9 years ago !! and mine has a air grabber !!! when i spoke to d s they modified the car to fit there k frame !! but did say they were working on mopar stuff , amazing build , quality welding , fab and fit . I wish they did more body mods . all it takes is money !!!! IM building a three link rear for mine !!
Posted By: topbrent

Re: Detroit Speed Charger - 09/18/14 07:36 PM

Very Nice Work. It will be a great car.
Posted By: cdoublejj

Re: Detroit Speed Charger - 09/25/14 10:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What do you mean?

If they put up their stuff for sale for Mopar applications, then I'll believe you that they've built something for a Mopar.
I'm not against removing torsion bars so much as I'm against adapting Chebbie stuff to fit a Mopar. If they want to super impress me with this car, they'd have to have built a bolt-in Mopar front and rear subframe like RMS does and then put it up for sale.

Who's RMS?

EDIT: yeah they could have gone a ton of different routes as far as possibilities go a number of companies make kits or universal kits to really upgrade the suspension.

Re: Detroit Speed Charger - 09/25/14 02:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What do you mean?

Who's RMS?

EDIT: yeah they could have gone a ton of different routes as far as possibilities go a number of companies make kits or universal kits to really upgrade the suspension.

Stands for Reilly MotorSports:

https://www.reillymotorsports.com/store/home.php

They make bolt in coil-over front suspension kits and bolt in rear 3 and 4 link set ups.

I am not putting DSE (Detroit Speed Engineering) down, I'm just saying what seems to be the case: they adapted their Camaro stuff to fit a Mopar - they didn't build anything that they'll re-sell for Mopars. They make impressive stuff, though - just not for Mopars.
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: Detroit Speed Charger - 11/19/14 11:36 PM

I toured there shop in late October. they where doing mustangs and Camaros. the charger body was in red paint, but It looked strange with no front clip
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: Detroit Speed Charger - 11/19/14 11:37 PM

ps, it was getting a mopar new hemi
Posted By: Dennis Flinchum

Re: Detroit Speed Charger - 11/23/14 02:27 AM

LOL.... Yeah DSE sux in my opinion also....just$$$

Re: Detroit Speed Charger - 11/23/14 07:47 PM

They probably did the market analysis of who would buy their stuff and decided against making stock fitting Mopar stuff. Its much more profitable to leave it as is, call it all custom, and sell it at 2x pricing to special build projects to high end garages.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Detroit Speed Charger - 11/23/14 11:39 PM

Quote:

HA ! I would LOVE to see that!
Posted By: 67autocross

Re: Detroit Speed Charger - 11/24/14 12:34 AM

Just had a look at the charger, the detail is incredible ! The dash alone is a work of art, and the suspension looks great.

Re: Detroit Speed Charger - 11/24/14 05:39 AM

Finally took some time to browse through all the pages today. Yes, the fabrication work is top notch and some of the details are impressive.

However....the front stub looks like basic F body fair with a few mods and their typical C6 Vette bolt on systems. This change resulted in a massive and extensive endo-skelton that tracks through out the car to restore the integrity to body to support the GM suspension systems while integrating a somewhat restored mopar floor.

Speaking of all the tubing running throughout the interior of the car, it obviously is put there for suspension support and asthetics since there are so many mid-line curves and untriangulated mid tube joints in it that it is definetely not being put together with serious competition in mind.

And, all that custom metal work and they leave the stock, angled wiper motor mount in the firewall...sorry, but with all the work in this thing you could have eliminated that obtuse angle and done loads for cleaning up the firewall.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Detroit Speed Charger - 11/29/14 02:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

HA ! I would LOVE to see that!

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/4762545173.html
© 2024 Moparts Forums