Moparts

Nitrogen in tires, any one use it at the track?

Posted By: brads70

Nitrogen in tires, any one use it at the track? - 08/10/14 03:27 AM

Just wondering? Seems to me wouldn't be very useful in autocross, road racing yes .
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Nitrogen in tires, any one use it at the track? - 08/10/14 03:36 AM

Quote:

Just wondering? Seems to me wouldn't be very useful in autocross, road racing yes .

Yea, I don't think the tire would build enough heat. But size of course would matter, grip used, and sliding friction will a raise heat generated.

We do it in circle track racing. But we run bottled air, so nitrogen isn't really much more expensive. Biggest thing we do is purge the tires of moisture and regular air. We have a tire air moisture gauge for this. takes about 2-3 times to get the moisture down.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Nitrogen in tires, any one use it at the track? - 08/10/14 05:52 PM

Since regular air is 78% Nitrogen, most of us are already using it, with a few other contaminants.
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: Nitrogen in tires, any one use it at the track? - 08/11/14 06:09 PM

Its an added expense onto your budget, but the best national-caliber drivers use it.... fluxuation of PSI is minimal when using it.
Posted By: 5spdcuda

Re: Nitrogen in tires, any one use it at the track? - 08/11/14 06:34 PM

I wouldn't bother using it for autocross, but I just bought a new car last month [ 2014 Mustang 5.0 GT six speed manual ] and the dealer put nitrogen in the tires so that's what I'll use next month at Lawrenceville. I doubt that it will make any difference. I just want to see how the car works in showroom stock configuration.
© 2024 Moparts Forums