Moparts

What old mopar are you improving the suspension on?

Posted By: migsBIG

What old mopar are you improving the suspension on? - 06/13/14 11:07 AM

Been slowly collecting parts to improve the ride on my 70' Barracuda, hoping to get my last bit of parts in the next month. Been reading alot of posts on here and was wondering what cars/trucks are you guys building up and what mods are being done to them?
Posted By: 340duster340

Re: What old mopar are you improving the suspension on? - 06/13/14 03:48 PM

66 dart: firm feel bars front and back, FFI UCAs, new 6- leaf springs, 11.75 disc conversion, 8.75 rear, LBP, frame connectors. 318/auto for now, but would like to upgrade to 360 4 speed one day. should be a basic driver.

current status: front end all apart and working on putting it back together.

Posted By: jrlegacy23

Re: What old mopar are you improving the suspension on? - 06/13/14 03:51 PM

I have a 1970 Dart with 5.7 Hemi, Hotchkis rear suspension, E-Body rear sway bar, HemiDenny K-Frame, Addco 1" front sway bar, QA1 front coilovers, subframe connectors, 11" 4 wheel drilled/slotted disc brakes, 4.10 gears with carbon fiber clutches, 17x7" front wheels, 18x8" rear wheels.
Here is a link to my build:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=226170

Attached picture 8174947-wheel%203.jpg
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: What old mopar are you improving the suspension on? - 06/13/14 04:38 PM

Big brakes, big T-bars, big sway bars.

Sheldon

Attached picture 8174984-Challengerttos007.JPG
Posted By: feets

Re: What old mopar are you improving the suspension on? - 06/13/14 09:09 PM

1972 Imperial.
As for the rest of it, let's not go there.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: What old mopar are you improving the suspension on? - 06/13/14 11:07 PM

Not working much on the suspension these days.
oth, I'll be swapping gears from 3.91 to 3.55:1 and be installing shorty headers and a 4bbl-intake on my daily 318 Dart soon.

Posted By: pauly v.100

Re: What old mopar are you improving the suspension on? - 06/14/14 03:45 AM

1.06 FF t-bars, 340 Duster leaf springs
FF adjustable struts and tie rod ends
Magnumforce non-adjustable tubular a-arms
poly bushings everywhere
welded and reinforced 340 K-frame
welded in Mopar frame connectors
KYB shocks
first gen Viper calipers on 11.75 rotors, EBC red pads
B-body rear with stock 11" drums, carbon metallic shoes

It's current setup has been on the car for a few seasons now and there are quite a few changes I would like to make, but it all costs $$$ and I'm having too much fun hammering on it. -pauly

Attached picture 8175566-04-20-14Davescar051_1.jpg
Posted By: IndyDave

Re: What old mopar are you improving the suspension on? - 06/14/14 03:51 AM

1979 Aspen

Replacing everything under it with a chassis from a Busch Grand National North car. The chassis is a Laughlin short track front steer and came as a roller minus brake calipers but with a freshened Richmond quick change.
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: What old mopar are you improving the suspension on? - 06/14/14 05:44 AM

I'll be removing all the drum brake stuff on my 8 3/4 this weekend and giving my friend a call to see if he can help me rebuild it. Going with all new bearings and seals, powder coated case, 3.55 gears, and an Eaton TrueTrac. I'll also be placing an order with Dr. Diff later this summer for some 13" Brembo discs up front and 11.7" Cobra brakes in the rear. On top of that, I already have my Hotchkis TVS in the garage with 1.06" T-bars and subframe connectors awaiting to go on the Dart. And lastly, I'm going to be getting some 2-piece 18" wheels set to my backspacing. I'm going to try to fit a 275/35/18 all the way around. If I have some extra time and money, I may do an engine swap for a 360. I know it's going to be a lot of money, but I don't care because it's my car. Hopefully, I can finish this all by late September (or to Fall Fling) with the help of friends and moparts.

The GT on the Dart is going to start for something new, "Gran Turismo." I know it's cheesy.
Posted By: 68cuda440

Re: What old mopar are you improving the suspension on? - 06/14/14 06:47 PM

Just getting started. So far front brakes are Dr Diff "Stage 4" and I have done a little fender trimming. Brought car home from paint today.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=3#Post8094659

Attached picture 8176073-Homesmall.jpg
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: What old mopar are you improving the suspension on? - 06/15/14 05:50 AM

Looks like alot of a-body guys are fixing up their rides. I'm thinking of a complete suspension revamp, including aftermarket k-member, big Wilwoods, rack/pinion and welding in some chassis bracing to keep it a little tight. I have Magnum Force tubular adjustable control arms, subframe connector and Hotchkis rear leaf springs, but might upgreade to indecent rear later on.
Posted By: Chally426

Re: What old mopar are you improving the suspension on? - 06/15/14 06:01 PM

71 Barracuda convertible, AlterKtion front and Street lynx rear with 6 piston 13" brakes front and rear

Attached picture 8176914-newrightsusp.jpg
Posted By: CKessel

Re: What old mopar are you improving the suspension on? - 06/15/14 11:53 PM

I'm going to update my 65 Coronet. I already have for it: 500" aluminum Indy lowdeck wedge w/AEM EFI 664hp 651tq, fresh Pro Trans 727 w/manual valve body, custom Continental converter, GV o/d unit, everything to be had from FFI minus the k-frame, 70 k-frame so I can have through the frame sway bar/double shear mounted idler plus move the engine back 1 1/2", Strange S60 w/3.73's, Dr. Diff 4 whl disc, new tank[ to be modified for efi pump], frame connectors/torque boxes/safe t caps from ART, Sebring conv seats so I have shoulder harness. To be gathered up: Ron Francis wiring, SD Concepts serp belt system, wheels & tires, fuel plumbing, swap out existing HVAC unit for modern unit and re-route plumbing. I'm sure there will be more when I get into it.

Re: What old mopar are you improving the suspension on? - 06/15/14 11:58 PM

Picture of car

Attached picture 8177213-019.JPG
Posted By: Rapom65

Re: What old mopar are you improving the suspension on? - 06/16/14 12:07 AM

'74 Duster. Front: Firm Feel 1.12 TB, Fox/Hotchkis non adj shocks, Hellwig 1.25" hollow sway bar, Dillinger chomemoly adj strut bars, Moog offset UCA bushings, Proforge solid aluminum tie rod adjusters, 11.75 B body disks & calipers, LCAs plated, Firm Feel Stage III PS rebuild, lower radiator cross member, sub frame connectors. Rear: home built HD version of a RMS Street Lynx poly bushed 4 link, Strange coilovers w/ QA1 150lb springs, 10 x 2.5 drum brakes.

Re: What old mopar are you improving the suspension on? - 06/16/14 12:17 AM

Another shot of car

Attached picture 8177239-021.JPG
Posted By: dangina

Re: What old mopar are you improving the suspension on? - 06/16/14 08:42 AM

I thought this was what the first post "suspension modification" was for??!
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: What old mopar are you improving the suspension on? - 06/16/14 09:23 AM

Sticky topics that are up there too long tend to become invisible and get overlooked.

Besides, I think this topic was not ment for indept and detailed project-coverage from everyone but just a short general update what everyone is doing these days on their cars.

Does anyone update his post in the Modification Register-topic at all?

Edit:
Just noticed a topic's EDIT-function disappears after some time, so any updates would have to be done as a new reply on the Modification-topic.

Makes me wonder how useful an un-editable topic is as a 'Modification Register'...
Posted By: Greg55_99

Re: What old mopar are you improving the suspension on? - 06/16/14 04:46 PM

1977 Volare Road Runner. Replacing the entire front k-frame with a modified aftermarket kit for installing Gen I Dakota IFS parts into a 56 Ford F100. Tricky, but it's a good fit. Still working it.

Greg

Attached picture 8177761-Volare_rails_4.jpg
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: What old mopar are you improving the suspension on? - 06/16/14 05:38 PM

Quote:

Sticky topics that are up there too long tend to become invisible and get overlooked.

Besides, I think this topic was not ment for indept and detailed project-coverage from everyone but just a short general update what everyone is doing these days on their cars.

Edit:
Just noticed a topic's EDIT-function disappears after some time, so any updates would have to be done as a new reply on the Modification-topic.

Makes me wonder how useful an un-editable topic is as a 'Modification Register'...

Yes, edit function on Moparts only lasts a certain period of time.

IIRC, I've had to add a second post.

so you go just copy what you wrote before and make changes. Maybe the post should have a place on top that says. As of this date: ________

Posted By: jcc

Re: What old mopar are you improving the suspension on? - 06/16/14 07:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Edit:

Yes, edit function on Moparts only lasts a certain period of time.

IIRC, I've had to add a second post.

so you go just copy what you wrote before and make changes. Maybe the post should have a place on top that says. As of this date: ________

Kinda is reduntant, and now maybe "invisible" as mentioned. I went and looked at the original template, and it does start "Entry/Update Date:"

and I can't edit it anyway because the time window has closed.

However having continuously reoccurring threads rehashing the same topic b=can also gets old. "Corner-Carvers' nip,s that in the bud quickly, and IMO a little too brutally, if you ask me, but the end result, most of the shared wisdom stays in one pertinent thread.
Posted By: ahy

Re: What old mopar are you improving the suspension on? - 06/17/14 04:08 AM

Mine's a '70 Challenger/496/5 speed. I've been running it for a few years. The frame and K and LCA's are re-enforced, FF front and rear sway bars, bigger T bars, big front brakes and 17" rubber.

After the initial build I made a few changes: 1) adjustable strut rods to help dial in alignment with poly LCA bushings 2) stiffer rear springs. 3) 10 mm wider rubber front and rear. The poly LCA bushings are nice but do not positively locate the LCA pivot so any production variation or tweaking of the K or other parts can cause alignment problems. Adjustable strut rods helped dial it in. I started with re-pop XHD rear springs. They seemed a little soft, especially with passengers and luggage which I carry time to time. They were also a little low after some use. Adding one full leaf to each set me back $100 and change and got the rear rate and height where I wanted it. On the rubber, after a lot of fitting and measuring and custom offset wheels, I went with 225/45/17 front and 255/40/17 rear. The goal was no rub under the most extreme conditions. Very conservative. After wearing out the first set of tires I figured I could go +10 MM without issue and did in sticky Dunlops. The only "rub" is with the light front aluminum wheel trim which is not "relieved" like my factory Hemi fenders. I trimmed the rear wheel lip a little but otherwise stock steel bodywork.

Next steps? I may step up from the often criticized KBB shocks to Koni's... although the KBB's have done OK in my application. I also may step up to T bars bigger than my current 1". I think the KBB's with T bars >1" would not do so well. Beyond that its Aero. I plan hood pins this year so I don't have to worry about the hood latch at "significant" speeds. Some form of front spoiler/air dam and rear lip spoiler next.
Posted By: Darius

Re: What old mopar are you improving the suspension on? - 06/24/14 10:49 PM

Quote:

71 Barracuda convertible, AlterKtion front and Street lynx rear with 6 piston 13" brakes front and rear

I have this set up on my 70 GTX. My brakes are from an 07 Charger on all 4 corners. QA1 shocks. The car is a go cart! Oh, 17" all around 8" wide
Posted By: joes68340s

Re: What old mopar are you improving the suspension on? - 06/25/14 06:30 PM

Starting on my 70 AAR Cuda.
© 2024 Moparts Forums