Moparts

A body Rack and Pinion

Posted By: BB65Barracuda

A body Rack and Pinion - 05/31/14 02:02 PM

I picked up a A body Rack and Pinion for my Dart that bolts to the original steering box location and to the original Idler arm location,
The Bracket is pretty heavy duty and it looks as though it may even clear my Headers.
I will post pics but I always have a hard time getting them sized correctly to add in to these forums.

Posted By: moparx

Re: A body Rack and Pinion - 05/31/14 02:12 PM

from whom and pics please ?

Re: A body Rack and Pinion - 05/31/14 02:19 PM

Supposedly a NASCAR driver had fabbed it up.
It looks heavy duty enough, Hope it clears my TTi'S.

Re: A body Rack and Pinion - 06/01/14 12:15 AM

Here is a pic of he entire unit!
Posted By: 340duster340

Re: A body Rack and Pinion - 06/02/14 03:57 AM

these guys make something similar, nice score.

https://www.unisteer.com/bolt-in-rack-pinions/search-by-product/bolt-in-rack-pinions.html
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: A body Rack and Pinion - 06/02/14 04:08 AM

Where does it bolt up? Do you have a spare K-member you can mock it up on?
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: A body Rack and Pinion - 06/02/14 04:17 AM

Hopefully it works better than a unisteer setup.

Have you checked for bump steer and those types of issues yet ?
Posted By: MileHighDart

Re: A body Rack and Pinion - 06/05/14 01:19 AM

Unisteer doesn't actually offer a setup for A-bodies.

I talked to a guy at the MATS a couple years ago however that had a Unisteer setup on his 67 Dart.
He called them and even though they don't offer a kit, they sold him all of the parts that he would likely need.
He said he didn't have much trouble with the install and liked the result.
Posted By: brads70

Re: A body Rack and Pinion - 06/05/14 05:37 AM

Quote:

Hopefully it works better than a unisteer setup.

Have you checked for bump steer and those types of issues yet ?

Re: A body Rack and Pinion - 06/17/14 12:24 PM

I have yet to get around to installing it.
I tried to build my own a while back and I am very familiar with bump steer issues. Scary SH!T!
It looks a though it will bolt up fine but i will need to swap out my 8qt pan for more or less a stock unit.
It's nothing like the unisteer unit from what I have seen on their web site.
Posted By: brads70

Re: A body Rack and Pinion - 06/17/14 02:52 PM

I don't think you can use a rack AND torsion bars as it causes bad bump steer issues. Torsion bars are in the way.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: A body Rack and Pinion - 06/17/14 03:37 PM

Quote:

I don't think you can use a rack AND torsion bars as it causes bad bump steer issues. Torsion bars are in the way.

Torsion bars would be in the way of the regular steering linkage too.

http://www.circletrack.com/chassistech/ctrp_1001_bump_steer_explained/viewall.html

Re: A body Rack and Pinion - 06/19/14 12:42 PM

I measured the idler and Pittman distances and final tie rod positions and its an exact match for the stock installation.
I mounted the rack set up and with my center sump pan it bolts right in! It looks as though the only stumbling block is a extra steering support under the hood.
With it all lining up the same as the stock box and steering linkage components, im not seeing any problem with bump-steer.
Ill see about mounting something off the frame for support this weekend.
If anyone has a suggestion for the support im open to suggestions, using the stock steering shaft.
Posted By: Consulier

Re: A body Rack and Pinion - 06/19/14 06:01 PM

Any details on the rack? Who is the manufacturer, off the shelf or custom, etc...

Any chance I could take a look at that bracket to possibly make a copy? I see you are in MI. It's a big state, but maybe you are close.

Re: A body Rack and Pinion - 06/20/14 12:41 PM

I guess I'm close, I also live in the USA.
Posted By: Consulier

Re: A body Rack and Pinion - 06/21/14 01:56 PM

Quote:

I guess I'm close, I also live in the USA.

Yeah, just saw that. I'm near Lansing.
Posted By: 48Heap

Re: A body Rack and Pinion - 07/02/14 08:55 PM

Looks like the rack out of an '88-'94 Chevy Cavalier to me. Not a perfect match, but close enough to me make me think it very well could be.

The part bolted to the rack with the inner tie rod ends is new, though, no idea if that came from something else or is custom. The Cavalier used two really long tie rods that bolted direct to the rack where the stand off is bolted now.

Maybe standard rack and pinion inner tie rod ends could be screwed into a machined rod to make something similar.

Just some observations.

Re: A body Rack and Pinion - 08/24/14 03:42 PM

I don't see the Cavalier reference but I really don't deal with too many Chevrolets.
Fits the car fine but it's not going to work with my 440.
It was obviously designed for a small block. Its a shame, it really does set up in the car nicely.
To bad I wont be able to use it on my setup. The 65 has a 426 Hemi and the dart sports a 440.
Posted By: Trojmn

Re: A body Rack and Pinion - 08/24/14 11:06 PM

i've got a home for that :-)
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: A body Rack and Pinion - 08/24/14 11:14 PM

Quote:

i've got a home for that :-)

Don't we all?
Posted By: 68cuda440

Re: A body Rack and Pinion - 08/24/14 11:45 PM

Quote:

Looks like the rack out of an '88-'94 Chevy Cavalier to me. Not a perfect match, but close enough to me make me think it very well could be.

The part bolted to the rack with the inner tie rod ends is new, though, no idea if that came from something else or is custom. The Cavalier used two really long tie rods that bolted direct to the rack where the stand off is bolted now.

Maybe standard rack and pinion inner tie rod ends could be screwed into a machined rod to make something similar.

Just some observations.

How about closer to home. Looks like the variable assist unit from a 1999-2004 Chrysler 300M.

http://www.carsteering.com/data/all_images/R-157436J-900-Map.jpg

Yes, some GM cars have similar "center take off" steering racks.

-Michael
Posted By: 48Heap

Re: A body Rack and Pinion - 08/25/14 10:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Just some observations.

How about closer to home. Looks like the variable assist unit from a 1999-2004 Chrysler 300M.

http://www.carsteering.com/data/all_images/R-157436J-900-Map.jpg

Yes, some GM cars have similar "center take off" steering racks.

-Michael

Not seeing it. The area where steering shaft connects looks pretty different to me.

Not a big deal, someone was just asking what the rack came out of and I thought it might help to point them in the direction of a Cavalier rack. Might not be, hard to say. It was just an idea.
Posted By: 340duster340

Re: A body Rack and Pinion - 08/26/14 03:34 AM

just a thought, can you run c-channel in the front part of the k frame, mount the rack there, and flip the ball joints side to side so the tie rod mounts are facing forward? might have an issue getting the steering shaft all the way up there, but it might work.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: A body Rack and Pinion - 08/26/14 05:16 PM

Quote:

just a thought, can you run c-channel in the front part of the k frame, mount the rack there, and flip the ball joints side to side so the tie rod mounts are facing forward? might have an issue getting the steering shaft all the way up there, but it might work.

Maybe, but it depends. If you just flip them around to put the tie rod mount forward, no, because this introduces anti-ackerman.

If you flip them around and swap sides, maybe, but... the mounting face on the lower balljoint is offset from the axis. So, this move may restore some ackerman, but will narrow track width and possibly introduce caster/camber shortcomings, if you can even mount it to the spindle pads. The ball socket may be a bit too big to mount the joint flat against the spindle. Some minor machine work may be able to offset this, but again, more modifications to the process.

Re: A body Rack and Pinion - 08/26/14 10:07 PM

All good points but I don't think reworking it is an option.
It will work fine for someone with a Small Block.
It would be a shame to cut it up.Its a very nice piece.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: A body Rack and Pinion - 08/26/14 10:26 PM

What's so different on the bottom between a big and small block?
Or are you just talking about steeringshaft clearance?
© 2024 Moparts Forums