Moparts

Camber-tire wear-street setting?

Posted By: brads70

Camber-tire wear-street setting? - 02/02/14 02:46 PM

Question, what would you say you can get away with camber wise on the street before you get tire wear? While I understand 2-3 is good on the track but my car will see 90% street cruising and the occasional Sunday afternoons autocrossing. Would a wider tire affect your recommendations? (315/30/18)
I'm guessing keeping it around 1 degree will work?
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Camber-tire wear-street setting? - 02/02/14 04:51 PM

I've got 245/50/15's. I'm pulling 1.0 degrees camber. I have about 5,000 miles on this setup. Seems like decent wear pattern. Have about 5 road course track days and one autocross on it.

*correction my camber has been 1.0 degrees

Posted By: jcc

Re: Camber-tire wear-street setting? - 02/02/14 07:25 PM

Since with our typical car set-ups, IMO you can't have enough camber, like 2-3, however from my experience, anything over .5- will not get past 20K on the street.
Posted By: Viol8r

Re: Camber-tire wear-street setting? - 02/02/14 11:09 PM

Quote:

Since with our typical car set-ups, IMO you can't have enough camber, like 2-3, however from my experience, anything over .5- will not get past 20K on the street.

We run .25 on the street and, 2.2 for track.

Re: Camber-tire wear-street setting? - 02/02/14 11:41 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone!
I currently have .75 on mine( Firestone street tires) and no noticeable wear issues. I think I'll be running Falken 615K's and if I got 20,000 miles from them I'd be more than happy.

Re: Camber-tire wear-street setting? - 02/03/14 12:09 AM

Quote:

I currently have .75 on mine( Firestone street tires) and no noticeable wear issues. I think I'll be running Falken 615K's and if I got 20,000 miles from them I'd be more than happy.

Like a noted, I've got away with 1.0 degrees. But that is a 245 (9.6") wide tire with a 4.85" sidewall height/thickness.

A 315/30/18 is 12.4" wide tire with 3.75" of sidewall.

IIRC, you have your own alignment equiptment at home. Then I'd try 1.0 degree then watch/measure tire wear very closely.

Re: Camber-tire wear-street setting? - 02/03/14 12:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Like a noted, I've got away with 1.0 degrees. But that is a 245 (9.6") wide tire with a 4.85" sidewall height/thickness.

A 315/30/18 is 12.4" wide tire with 3.75" of sidewall.

IIRC, you have your own alignment equiptment at home. Then I'd try 1.0 degree then watch/measure tire wear very closely.

Thanks. Yes I just have a caster/camber gauge.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Camber-tire wear-street setting? - 02/03/14 12:35 AM

I'm running with about 2 deg camber on my daily Dart. Been doing that for a good number of months now since I put on different tires.
There isn't any noticable wear to be seen at the moment, but I don't think that will be very long.
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: Camber-tire wear-street setting? - 02/03/14 01:04 AM

I would not worry about camber as much,
It's the toe that eats up the tires
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Camber-tire wear-street setting? - 02/03/14 01:31 AM

Quote:

Attached picture 8023836-20131119_103601.jpg
Posted By: ntstlgl1970

Re: Camber-tire wear-street setting? - 02/03/14 01:36 AM

I run 1/2 degree negative with a 265/35 18. It's been good so far, I think I could get away with a little more. maybe 3/4 to 1 on the street.
Posted By: amxautox

Re: Camber-tire wear-street setting? - 02/03/14 01:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I think his 1/2 degree gauge is off, but only a 'little'.

Re: Camber-tire wear-street setting? - 02/03/14 01:41 AM

Quote:

I run 1/2 degree negative with a 265/35 18. It's been good so far, I think I could get away with a little more. maybe 3/4 to 1 on the street.

Off topic, but are you comming down to Spring Fling Speed Festival this year at Willow Spring and test out that camber on the track??
Posted By: ntstlgl1970

Re: Camber-tire wear-street setting? - 02/03/14 01:44 AM

yes and yes, i was just going to post about that....
Posted By: mopardamo

Re: Camber-tire wear-street setting? - 02/03/14 08:04 AM

Hello brads70,

So do you have a 315/30/18 under your E body at the front? If so what is your combo?

Damon

Re: Camber-tire wear-street setting? - 02/03/14 02:18 PM

Quote:

Hello brads70,

So do you have a 315/30/18 under your E body at the front? If so what is your combo?

Damon

No not yet. What I'm toying with is buying a new pair of AMD fenders and modifying them to fit .Storing my original fenders so I could put the car back to stock down the road if I wanted? No way stock fenders would work with that size. Right now the front end is off for welding in the US Cartool cowl braces. I finally have saved up enough for new rims/tires etc.... so just weighing my options?

Re: Camber-tire wear-street setting? - 02/04/14 05:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Hello brads70,

Damon

No not yet. What I'm toying with is buying a new pair of AMD fenders and modifying them to fit .Storing my original fenders so I could put the car back to stock down the road if I wanted? No way stock fenders would work with that size. Right now the front end is off for welding in the US Cartool cowl braces. I finally have saved up enough for new rims/tires etc.... so just weighing my options?

So how would those fit in the rear?
Posted By: dangina

Re: Camber-tire wear-street setting? - 02/04/14 05:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Hello brads70,

Damon

what 18" wheels will you be running?
Posted By: PasiR

Re: Camber-tire wear-street setting? - 02/04/14 02:18 PM

What brand gauge you guys use for adjustment, how about price of them?
Or is it better to visit at alignment shop?

Re: Camber-tire wear-street setting? - 02/04/14 02:20 PM

Going to use these rims...
http://www.team3wheels.com/lt_iii.html
I'll be using 295/40/18 in the rear.

Re: Camber-tire wear-street setting? - 02/04/14 02:48 PM

Quote:

What brand gauge you guys use for adjustment, how about price of them?
Or is it better to visit at alignment shop?

I use this. I also when to a buddy's shop on put the car on his alignment machine and it was very close. Took him about 15 minutes to get it to what I wanted. Biggest issue is having a level surface to work off of.
http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=129&catid=5

With this adapter to bolt directly to the spindle during mock up
http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=138&catid=5

Re: Camber-tire wear-street setting? - 02/05/14 02:42 AM

Firestone has a one time fee for a lifetime alignment..... Make friends with the guy and you can see the adjustments in real time and it makes doing bump, camber, etc real easy!

I change mine at least 5 times a year, no charge.
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: Camber-tire wear-street setting? - 02/05/14 08:16 AM

I tried that with the local Firestone dealer because I know they have new hi-tech equipment (and they've done a good job on the family vehicles)... but when asked to do the alignment on my Chally, to my specs... no go.. because they supposedly have to follow OE specs.. since they are a national "franchise".. good luck.. maybe your local franchise dealers work differently under different policies (so instead, I went to a local private shop and actually helped him do the re-alignment to MY specs... and the pizza dinner at night after the shop closed was well worth it and fun, too!.

Attached picture 8027303-Mitch'sChallenger-11.jpg

Re: Camber-tire wear-street setting? - 02/05/14 08:45 AM

Quote:

I tried that with the local Firestone dealer because I know they have new hi-tech equipment (and they've done a good job on the family vehicles)... but when asked to do the alignment on my Chally, to my specs... no go.. because they supposedly have to follow OE specs.. since they are a national "franchise".. good luck.. maybe your local franchise dealers work differently under different policies (so instead, I went to a local private shop and actually helped him do the re-alignment to MY specs... and the pizza dinner at night after the shop closed was well worth it and fun, too!.

I get to be involved! No OE specs here! Like I said, it had to be a friend.
© 2024 Moparts Forums