Moparts

Track Car coming together

Posted By: HUSTLESTUFF

Track Car coming together - 12/05/13 11:44 PM

I'm building a track car to have fun with since I live so close to Thunderhill in Willows. Started a while ago but getting closer. I have Firm Feel Suspension and will probably go big block even though I have the 360 all machined and ready to put together with W2's that came from Petty Enterprises. Need to get some clutch pedals for the 4 speed and may build hydraulic unit and use race pedals. Anyhow I'm starting to dig it.

Attached picture 7948351-pettysmall.jpg
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Track Car coming together - 12/05/13 11:48 PM

Looks like a fun project!
Posted By: PHJ426

Re: Track Car coming together - 12/06/13 03:12 AM

More pics.

That looks awesome there is no better car to clone for some track work other than The King's!
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: Track Car coming together - 12/06/13 04:32 PM

AWESOME Project! I remember watching RP at the ~73-4(?) Daytona 500 race do a final lap drafting/sling shot to win the race!

MoPower to ya!

Posted By: 71autoxr

Re: Track Car coming together - 12/08/13 06:18 AM

Love love love it!! Tell us allll about it. Bring it to willow for speed festival in april, even with no motor!
Posted By: HUSTLESTUFF

Re: Track Car coming together - 12/08/13 09:20 AM

Pretty basic car. Gutted a $400 74 Charger added a Speedway cage, Ebody I think 8 3/4 and Firm Feel suspension. Modified the bumpers with homemade brackets to tuck them in and some sheet metal inserts. Took the book "The Cars of the King" to get some as raced photos and had a graphics shop make all the stickers ($425). Did all the bodywork and paint. Used an orange toner with a bit of Viper red and Petty blue. I have a dash from a Winston West car for the gauges and have the numbers matching 360 machined and ready to go with a set of W2 heads from a local old time Winston West race team that bought the heads from Petty enterprises in the early 70's. I think I want to go big block and 4 speed instead, but want to fab a hydraulic clutch vs buying resto pedals, linkage etc. I have Dr. Diffs adapters for the Truck 1.25 rotors and some either Viper or US Brake calipers. The wheels are race wheels and have the Blue Streak Good Years. Gonna have fun, Should have it ready for the festival. Mike
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Track Car coming together - 12/09/13 12:05 AM

I believe the King was quoted in Hot Rod saying his favorite all around race cars were the 73-75 Chargers. Said they did everything well.
© 2024 Moparts Forums