Moparts

USCA- Series

Posted By: Viol8r

USCA- Series - 11/11/13 08:00 PM

http://ultimatestreetcarassociation.com/events/

Put these dates on the calendar and try to get to one of these events. I am friends with Jimi Day, one of the owners of this series, and he says it is going to be special. It will have rules, classes and give you opportunity to test your skills with like cars. I know mine will be there backed by QA1, Comp Cams, ready to go. I am usually the only one of a very few Mopars that shows up to these things. Let's change that!

I am personally looking at Portland & maybe Cali if Musto let's me stay at his house!!
Posted By: amxautox

Re: USCA- Series - 11/11/13 08:07 PM

Looks like fun. When are they going to have an event at Pacific Raceways?
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: USCA- Series - 11/11/13 10:01 PM

T/Anks for posting this... Road America is a possibility for me.... Gateway (Madison, IL.. by St. Louis) is another (I have family in that area), although I'm planning to be up at Road America that entire wknd for the historic Vintage Road Race weekend.
Posted By: PHJ426

Re: USCA- Series - 11/12/13 12:47 AM

ok I'm mobile on the phone right now.....is there a link for the classes of cars or did I overlook that?

Mitch what about Michigan is that one a possibility as well?

Re: USCA- Series - 11/12/13 12:52 AM

I didn't see anything about classes.
Posted By: jcc

Re: USCA- Series - 11/12/13 02:58 AM

Looks interesting, but how does a street car safely run Daytona for instance? Is this a competitive or a fun series?

Re: USCA- Series - 11/12/13 06:13 AM

Quote:

I didn't see anything about classes.

They just announced this over the weekend in Vegas. Jimi said they are still working on classes and rules. To be released soon.

Re: USCA- Series - 11/12/13 06:19 AM

Quote:

Looks interesting, but how does a street car safely run Daytona for instance? Is this a competitive or a fun series?

I would reference the Optima Challenge Rules. This will be a competitive series, but they obviously want people that are not following the series to compete at individual events.

Re: USCA- Series - 11/12/13 07:18 AM

Michigan is also a possibility. i'll have to determine my own schedule pending other events.. I'm planning to compete in the Midwestern Council hi-speed autocross series and so i don't want to mis any of those events for "points" throughout the season.

Most likely Kevin Wesley will make the Michigan event???... with his Satelite?

Attached picture 7921188-PACECARATROADAMERICA2010.jpg

Re: USCA- Series - 11/12/13 03:59 PM

Mitch I will have to chat with you soon about car setup and strategy for different sanctioning bodies when I get the new track pack.......errr brand X car.

Obviously big events like this one ,that are far reaching are like signing the kids up for travel baseball, get ready for some road tripping.

Midwest Council keeps it closer to home.
Posted By: 67autocross

Re: USCA- Series - 11/12/13 07:45 PM

Lugna Seca will be interesting, you can compare your time to what Motor trend runs with all the production cars that they test at that track.
Now all the guys on the Internet with their ZR Vettes killer cars can get out and show the world.

Re: USCA- Series - 11/12/13 08:07 PM

Paul... the USCA-series, similar to the "Optima" and "Heidt's" challenge events, are, realistically, in my opinion,an "anything-goes" type of hi-hype event. Its pretty cool to see all the extreme mods that various cars have... endless $$ can easily be spent. There's also the mid-to-extreme factory stock newer cars (Z06/ZL1, SRT8s, SS this, Boss that, etc) that can show up... $$ can easily buy into these types of series.. and a few of these, as I'm aware, you'd have to be "invited" to participate.

Then there's cars that are pre-setup, such as my T/A, for specific rules-sanctioned events (SCCA, MCSCC). Realistically, my car won't compete to the higher-level of "pretty much unlimited rules.. endless $$$) similar to the majority of the cars participating. That's OK with me because I know that IF we'd truly be on the "same-level of preparation" of our cars, then we'd be more-so comparing driver against driver, rather than variable modified cars and endless $$$.

I'll try to attend whatever I can and be realistic to the outcome of the event/results, etc. In other words, the USCA and related events are only going to be more "social fun" than competition for me. The SCCA (class E/SP) and MCSCC (class BP or BM) events are more "competative" to me as that's what my car is designed/modified to run in.

I can't wait to start racing next season!!! And, I'm looking forward to both us racing.

Attached picture 7921681-ChallengerTA-MoparMitch.jpg

Re: USCA- Series - 11/12/13 08:08 PM

A lot of people will be embarrassed. .....

How many laps has a guy like Probst has put in at LS then a newbie shows up to have an ego crushing experience. ......

Mitch it appears the Road Runner will be with a new owner shortly. I'll be mulling over options with the Midwest and SCCA with you. I think for now I want to do events at HPDE'S and similar. I can't say autocrossing is out until I give it a shot.
Posted By: 67autocross

Re: USCA- Series - 11/12/13 09:13 PM

Quote:

A lot of people will be embarrassed. .....

How many laps has a guy like Probst has put in at LS then a newbie shows up to have an ego crushing experience. ......

Mitch it appears the Road Runner will be with a new owner shortly. I'll be mulling over options with the Midwest and SCCA with you. I think for now I want to do events at HPDE'S and similar. I can't say autocrossing is out until I give it a shot.

If Randy was in a mini van and I was in a new vette I would still put my money on Randy at Lugna...
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: USCA- Series - 11/12/13 09:28 PM

I doubt I would ever have the cabbage to ever compete or be competitive in this type of series. But still don't know all the classes yet either. Dan mentio.ed somewhere else about a new SCCA class Vintage Modified or something like that. It sounds pretty cool with rules like stock suspension pickup points and no rack and pinions etc. This should be a class where us Mopar guys would shine IMO. Several people that have been around my car have automatically assumed I ditched torsion bars, my answer is always why?

Re: USCA- Series - 11/13/13 08:24 AM

I think its great that such events are expanding across the country. Regardless if you'd be highly competitive or just there for the social fun, its a blast to get out and enjoy doing these events. And, to see more Mopars out there is something that I, too, want and hope for all of us to better enjoy! (OK.. a few Fords and brand-x cars, too, but I favor ALL MOPARS!!!!)

Attached picture 7922459-CopyofCopyofAUTOBAHNOCT72012019(1).JPG

Re: USCA- Series - 11/13/13 01:01 PM

Granted it would be a blast to be on the big tracks!

This should be a blast.

Re: USCA- Series - 11/13/13 04:48 PM

Quote:

This should be a blast.

One thing it can do is humble you and show you real quick where the weaks spots on the car are. Ten minutes on a big track pushing in one of these big Mopars is an eye opener to say the least! Usually results in a "well, I better go back to the drawing board" speech. But that is part of the fun, right?!
Posted By: Dan@Hotchkis

Re: USCA- Series - 11/13/13 06:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This should be a blast.

One thing it can do is humble you and show you real quick where the weaks spots on the car are. Ten minutes on a big track pushing in one of these big Mopars is an eye opener to say the least! Usually results in a "well, I better go back to the drawing board" speech. But that is part of the fun, right?!

Well said. You can putt around and even autocross on marginal setups, but 5 minutes into a road course session will really let you know where your car is lacking.

Re: USCA- Series - 11/13/13 08:30 PM

Other than the first-priority being the "nut-behind the wheel" (you, the driver).. and the constant driving skill improvement along with track/road course familiarization, I suggest something in this order:

tires (and rims)
brakes (pads/shoes)
shocks
suspension/stiffening
sway bars
alignment and weight balancing (side-to-side weight balancing after the front/rear is figured)
rear gear ratio determination
engine reliability = oiling system... oil pan; valvetrain
vehicle weight reduction (pending class rules)
engine power

driver's seat/harness ... sooner rather than later

What will you do: drive to/from or trailer the car? (race tires? street tires?)

Figure upon a "commitment" towards a season of events and the overall cost involved... can you do it??? (the $64k question!)

Look forward to more friendships with the people you'll meet!

Attached picture 7922928-DSC08405.jpg

Re: USCA- Series - 11/13/13 08:34 PM

And it'll cost ya $64,000 for all that along with entry fees, travel expenses, etc.
Posted By: Uhcoog1

Re: USCA- Series - 11/13/13 08:47 PM

What's the entry fee like? Total track time?

If it's priced similar to the other road racing options in Texas, I'll do the one at Texas Motor Speedway.

Re: USCA- Series - 11/13/13 09:12 PM

Quote:

Other than the first-priority being the "nut-behind the wheel" (you, the driver).. and the constant driving skill improvement along with track/road course familiarization, I suggest something in this order:

tires (and rims)
brakes (pads/shoes)
shocks
suspension/stiffening
sway bars
alignment and weight balancing (side-to-side weight balancing after the front/rear is figured)
rear gear ratio determination
engine reliability = oiling system... oil pan; valvetrain
vehicle weight reduction (pending class rules)
engine power

driver's seat/harness ... sooner rather than later

What will you do: drive to/from or trailer the car? (race tires? street tires?)

Figure upon a "commitment" towards a season of events and the overall cost involved... can you do it??? (the $64k question!)

Look forward to more friendships with the people you'll meet!

Mitch, I have the most respect for your expertise and helpful attitude here repeatedly, and I'll add only 2 minor points, hugely safely oriented IMO, constantly fresh brake fluid, and brake ducts of any kind, but I must be out of the loop here on this entire event, because it is flat out dangerous to one self, and others and the cars to take a typical over powered, unsorted out 40 year old car and go fender to fender with others on high speed tracks with a driver who may zero seat time. I don't get how this is being addressed, did I miss something? Because anybody with road course seat time will have already experienced/learned the suggestions you have mentioned, therefore my puzzlement. And being a rolling chicane doesn't win many friends. It sounds like a blast, but wadded up sheet metal because a novice used your rear bumper as an emergency brake gets real old fast.

Re: USCA- Series - 11/13/13 09:15 PM

I thought I'd read that it was a timed event, not side-by-side competition.

Quote:

The Road Course competition is a timed event that establishes the ability of the car and driver to negotiate a variety of turns and straightaways in the shortest time. Very simply, this is the test to see how closely a street car can perform in real road racing conditions.

The Road Course competition is purely time based with the lowest time receiving the highest score.

Re: USCA- Series - 11/13/13 09:22 PM

That would address being punted by others for sure, except in order to have a decent amount of track time on the larger courses, there be multiple cars on the track at once, and keeping them all separated a task with differing speeds, skills, etc.

Re: USCA- Series - 11/13/13 09:32 PM

Quote:

That would address being punted by others for sure, except in order to have a decent amount of track time on the larger courses, there be multiple cars on the track at once, and keeping them all separated a task with differing speeds, skills, etc.

Like we said earlier. Reference Optima Challenge rules or American Street Car Series rules. Zero side by side action here, all timed. Speed stop, AutoX, Hot lap comp, and Road Rally.

I have done these formats. Generally a 200 tire rule (unless they incorporate a pro class) very safe and fun. Multi- day event so it makes it worth the trip. Lot's of good people and most likely TV and magazine exposure.

Re: USCA- Series - 11/13/13 09:41 PM

Quote:

What's the entry fee like? Total track time?

If it's priced similar to the other road racing options in Texas, I'll do the one at Texas Motor Speedway.

I would say that it is going to feel different then your average track day. It's goint go feel bigger commercially, but you will not have the massive amount of track time that you might think. There may be a few open sessions to get the feel (maybe, we will see), then you are off and running. For instance, the other like events we have done they give you (3) runs at each of the timed competitions. In those cases we did not have practice. You need to be confident in the equipment and yourself. Go at your own speed.

We have been the fastest Mopar at some events and still are upwards of 15-20 seconds slower (on the road course) then the likes of Danny Popp, Stielow, Hoghbough, etc. You just can't expect to win these things in our cars, but you can sure have fun!!
Posted By: Consulier

Re: USCA- Series - 11/14/13 02:17 AM

Quote:

Most likely Kevin Wesley will make the Michigan event???... with his Satelite?

I should make most of the events east of the Mississippi. The schedule spread should work well. Hopefully Motorstate will slot in there somewhere.

Plan is to run the Taxi, my Challenger or my Dart Lite late in the year. Probably two cars at each if i can swing it. PA will probably not happen since it's my wifes birthday weekend.

The Brick will be back together this year. Might be able to bring that out as well.
Posted By: Dan@Hotchkis

Re: USCA- Series - 11/19/13 08:34 PM

Had dinner last night with Jimi Day and talked over the new series quite a bit. They are listening to everyone to make sure that this is as affordable and accessible to as many people as possible, and still make it competitive for all entrants. He also said that the site, http://ultimatestreetcarassociation.com/ is the only official source for info on rules and event format. Any other source is speculation at best. I am certainly hoping to make a few of the west coast events if budget allows.
Posted By: dangina

Re: USCA- Series - 11/19/13 11:30 PM

Sounds like a fun series! We need a Canadian series like this.
Posted By: Consulier

Re: USCA- Series - 12/27/13 04:05 PM

The rules are out...

USCA 2014 Rules

3 classes, clear run group designations... should be interesting.
© 2024 Moparts Forums