Moparts

A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade

Posted By: BigBlockMopar

A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 11/02/13 10:31 PM

Today, after a fierce few hours long battle with the driverssside torsion bar, I was able to remove my Dart's 0.87" bars in favor for a set of 1" torsion bars from Just Suspension.
The pass.side bar slid out with just a few taps.
The JS bars measure exactly 1".

With just the 20 minute ride home from the garage as a reference I can (also) now say, from personal experience, that these 1" bars are 'nothing to be afraid of' for a performance handling orientated daily driver.
I too was afraid at first these bars would be just too much for actual daily usage.

One thing I did do was invert the front/outer most strutrod washers so with the dished side outwards to the front. This was done to free up the front suspension a bit more, as I noticed that even without the torsion bars installed, the spindle/suspension was kinda difficult to move up and down by hand.
I would've liked to invert the inner cup washers aswell but I was a little pressed for time and didn't want to take the entire front suspension apart for that.

The only 'issue' I'm still having is that the car's frame still hits the LCA bumpstops sometimes, but that's because I have it lowered as far as usuable, with only miminum play above the LCA's.

A set of 1" drop spindles would be perfect now I guess.

Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 11/02/13 11:21 PM

I've got close to 80K miles on a set of MP .99 from 1993 to 2011.

Now I'm running 1.14" which are about 3 times as stiff as stock (1" ~2x stiff as stock). Those are a little scary if I'm down in the middle of metro LA and come across some serious pot holes. In the suburbs here the roads are better.

Posted By: Rapom65

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 11/03/13 12:52 AM

So for a mix of road conditions which do you like better 1" or 1.14"? Or maybe between like 1.06ers?
Posted By: jcc

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 11/03/13 01:18 AM

"With just the 20 minute ride home from the garage as a reference I can (also) now say, from personal experience, that these 1" bars are 'nothing to be afraid of' for a performance handling orientated daily driver.
I too was afraid at first these bars would be just too much for actual daily usage."

It would be very helpful to many if that result could be be coveyed to others just as hesitant. I've even offered to loan my bars out to prove it. Still anything over .96 is just to scary for many.
Now you get to wonder what 1.06" feel like.

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 11/03/13 01:42 AM

Quote:

So for a mix of road conditions which do you like better 1" or 1.14"? Or maybe between like 1.06ers?

What type of mix?

And is it a daily driver back and forth to work everyday?

Do you live IN the center of a big metropolis massive traffic density? I'd imagine downtown Seattle would be the closest thing?

The multiple potholes are really specific area in the middle of Los Angeles in one of it's older sections of the city: West Los Angeles to Downtown LA. Densely populated area, massive traffic, lot of vehicles, and buses. The buses are what really beat things up in the right hand lanes.

It's not like I'm driving though a bunch of beat up street the second I leave my driveway with my 1.14" T-bars. It's not a big deal to every once in a while cruise through my old neighborhood near Hollywood, Beverly Hills, etc.

Now, when I had .99" T-bars and lived there, I did go through those beat up streets the second I left the driveway. Not a big issue. And I drove the car daily back and forth to work every day. Now I don't drive it like that.

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 11/03/13 01:48 AM

I was in that boat for a while: 1.0 vs 1.03 vs 1.06. Leaning heavily towards 1.06 as the Fox nonadjustable shocks I want are valved for that spring rate. Then there are those here who worship at the Alter of the Big Bar. When you get some road time on your new set up please report back with your observations on the differences in ride you found with these. Curious minds want to know!

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 11/03/13 02:06 AM

Not a daily driver but good weather back road/mountain highway twisties, freeway trips of 2 hours +, cruising & and an occasional jaunt around a road course. Just a variety of road surface conditions. Freeway, small city streets, older country roads ie. old worn asphalt but not full of pot holes, big city crap roads (Portland, OR). Do the big bars react to any surface irregularities in particular, examples ~ jolts from expansion joints or vibration/hum from old coarse pavement? I know its hard to separate as shock quality and stiff sidewalls will play into the ride quality also.

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 11/03/13 02:06 AM

Quote:

... When you get some road time on your new set up please report back with your observations on the differences in ride you found with these. Curious minds want to know!

Is this question directed/including me?

I've had .99" T-bars from 1993 to 2010. About 80K miles

And I've had 1.14" T-bars from 2010 to current. About 6,000 mile
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 11/03/13 02:10 AM

Bigger bars will amplify expansion joints and sharp edge type hits, its just the way it is. But overall the ride is still compliant and on the majority of roads, comfortable still. Good shocks are key. I have 1.06's.

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 11/03/13 02:21 AM

AutoX that was directed at BigBlockMopar. The question on different sized bars was directed at you. Sorry didn't notice that was JCC's comment I had replied too, thought it was BigBlock's. But anyone is welcome to throw their 2 cents in. 72Swinger's comment on expansion joints is the kind of info I seek, thanks.

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 11/03/13 02:59 AM

.99" to 1.14" is a very noticable jump. You can really feel a lot.

I just have Bilstein RCD's and 50 series though. And 72Swinger noticed a ride diffence between RCD and the new Hotchkis/Fox shocks.

Remember, the lesser the sidewall thickness the more road harshness you feel. Tires are springs too.

But here's what I tell people as an exaggeration:

.99" are like being able to feel running over some change dropped on the road.

1.14" are like being able to feel running over some change dropped on the road and then being able to tell you how exactly many nickles, dimes, pennies, and quarters you ran over.

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 11/03/13 12:28 PM

The type of roads in my area our kinda various. The majority of roads overhere have nice smooth asphalt without obvious potholes.
The smaller streets in residential areas have cobble stones. Pretty much all of them are like shown below.

But we do have an abundance of speedbumps and roundabouts overhere. Annoyingly much I might add.
The roundabouts aren't that bad as such, but the speedbumps, which all vary in height and ramp-steepness, seem to be put down at random.

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 11/04/13 12:21 AM

Quote:

Bigger bars will amplify expansion joints and sharp edge type hits, its just the way it is.

Well, I racked up a few miles today.
(after I had turned up the torsion bars about 2.5 turns to keep the car from hitting the bumpstops on speedbumps.)

I drove on various roads and the ones where say streetcar-tracks normally would try to shake the entire car to pieces, were suprisingly quieted actually.
A few other roads with some uncomfortable bumps and dips in them felt also more easy to drive on.

What I think has happened on my car, is that the beafier front springs match the (KYB) shocks much better now.

Along with the extra leaf I added aswell recently, the car has a much more 'grown up' feel about it now. More modern.

Corners are taken flatter and more stable and secure. Bumps and dips are delt with much better and on plain smooth asfalt the higher springrates aren't noticable at all.

I'm actually glad I did the upgrade!

As a short reminder, here are some specs of my car again;

1973 Dodge Dart w/ '71 front clip.
- Hellwig front swaybar
- Homemade welded subframe connectors.
- polybushings on all suspension points, even the lca's.
- C body diskbrakes upfront, drums on the rear.
- bonestock 8.6cr 318 running on propane
- A518 OD
- 8-3/4" w/ 3.91 suregrip
- 2 heavy steel propane tanks in the trunk area.
- 17" wheels w/ 215/50R17" Michelin Primacy tires. (240 threadwear)

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 11/04/13 02:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Bigger bars will amplify expansion joints and sharp edge type hits, its just the way it is.

Well, I racked up a few miles today.
(after I had turned up the torsion bars about 2.5 turns to keep the car from hitting the bumpstops on speedbumps.)

I drove on various roads and the ones where say streetcar-tracks normally would try to shake the entire car to pieces, were suprisingly quieted actually.
A few other roads with some uncomfortable bumps and dips in them felt also more easy to drive on.

What I think has happened on my car, is that the beafier front springs match the (KYB) shocks much better now.

Along with the extra leaf I added aswell recently, the car has a much more 'grown up' feel about it now. More modern.

Corners are taken flatter and more stable and secure. Bumps and dips are delt with much better and on plain smooth asfalt the higher springrates aren't noticable at all.

I'm actually glad I did the upgrade!

As a short reminder, here are some specs of my car again;

1973 Dodge Dart w/ '71 front clip.
- Hellwig front swaybar
- Homemade welded subframe connectors.
- polybushings on all suspension points, even the lca's.
- C body diskbrakes upfront, drums on the rear.
- bonestock 8.6cr 318 running on propane
- A518 OD
- 8-3/4" w/ 3.91 suregrip
- 2 heavy steel propane tanks in the trunk area.
- 17" wheels w/ 215/50R17" Michelin Primacy tires. (240 threadwear)

I think Bilstien RCD's will help reduce some harshness. When I had .99" T-bars I went from KYB's to QA1's just in the front and it reduced harshness.

Also your 215/50 series tires are pretty low profile.

I was running 245/50's and 225/60's with my .99's.

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 11/13/13 10:19 PM

Ok guys, almost 2 weeks later, I can safely say that I'm already 'used' to these 1" torsion bars and truly believe these bars should have been standard in certain A-body models.

Actually...
Quote:

Now you get to wonder what 1.06" feel like.

... ehm, yes.

However, I would like to try and take out some corner bodyroll out of the car first.
The car has improved greatly ever since I bought it when it had no swaybar, stock 0.87" Tbars and 14" wheels and crappy tires.

Eventhough the wheel-upgrade, subframe-connectors, a front Hellwig swaybar, added rear leafs and the 1" torsion bars did wonders for the car, it still shows some body-lean when I really drive the car through a corner fast.

Although upgrading the front Hellwig bar to even bigger would be a probable cure for this, I think I would rather install a rear swaybar instead.
My idea is that a rear bar would help out more leveling the car, mainly because of the 2 steel propane tanks in the trunk area.
One tank is a donut-shaped tank, mounted tightly in the spare tire well, the other tank is cylindrical and mounted 'high' in the car under the package tray, right over the rear axle.

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 04/20/14 01:47 AM

I think another update can be done to this topic.

At this moment I would be very willing to install a set of 1.06" bars, even maybe 1.10" bars.
The only thing holding me back is the price of these bars.

Another thing I like to mention is I installed 4 Moog offset bushings in the car. Besides ofcourse being able to add more caster, they did have another, very noticable effect on the ride-quality... Namely they softened the front suspension especially on most of the speedbumps which have sharp ramp ridges.
When I still had the polyurethane bushings mounted, it would feel like someone would hit the car's suspension with a large rubber hammer when encountering a firm speedbump.
Now with the rubber Moog bushings the speedbumps are taken much more sedate, more like a car with a stock suspension.

Other updates I have planned are replacing the swaybar bushings with homemade nylon or alum. bushings, like Andy F mentioned he had done in another topic.
I have also ordered a rear-swaybar from Hellwig.

Also in the works are creating inner fender-supports, a radiator-frame reinforcement and making 4 torqueboxes on all the body-corners.
Posted By: dickdale

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 04/20/14 03:20 PM

Those will be nice upgrades, Herman!
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 04/21/14 04:57 PM

BBMopar -- You are a further testament to how anemically weak small TBs, such as 1.0, etc, can be. See... now that you've adjusted to them, you're saying/thinking ~"maybe bigger aren't bad.. and they'll take more roll out...". My good friend and racer John Sandberg has a 67 Formula S (sb)... he's the original owner! He runs 1.14 TBs with 16x8 minilite rims, 245-50-16 f/r tires, beefed rear leafs, red Konis, added rear sway bar... car handles great, rides great... do yourself a favor and stop waisting time and $$$... get the 1.14 from FF and be done... if you get anything LESS than 1.14 you'll wonder again... what the bigger TBs such as 1.14 would be like. The 1.14 is a size that should've been OE on a "handling" package such as the Formula S a-bodies. These TBs are not harsh or bad on thre street; they'll reduced the lean, dive and lift.. you'll find it to be the best single improvemet and wonder why you didn't get them in the first place.

You do need a rear bar... to complete the package, and favorably a little stiffer leafs.
Posted By: 68cuda440

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 04/22/14 03:59 AM

Quote:

get the 1.14 from FF and be done...

The only size in that range I see listed from FF for the A body is 1.12 and 1.18, I am having trouble deciding between the two. One day I think 1.12 would be OK, others I think 1.18 is the correct choice. Car has sub frame connectors and torque boxes. No cage. 255/40-18 front tires. I plan on welding the K-frame and adding the LCA stiffening plates. I read an opinion several years back that the 1.18 would be too stiff a bar for a car without a cage. Car is mostly meant for the street. The car has a 440.

Comments or opinions?

-Michael

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 04/22/14 04:45 PM

I'm pretty sure FF will make any size TB... (I thought they used to advertise 1.14 for A-bodies, and I know a few A-body owners who have the 1.14)... For your street car as you've described, the 1.12 would be fine (the 1.18 if you want better road course/autox track performance).

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 04/22/14 05:33 PM

I agree with Mitch, go big.
Posted By: Dan@Hotchkis

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 04/22/14 05:59 PM

Quote:

Unless you have a proper cage and significant reinforcement to support the chassis, I would stick with 1.06 or lower for A bodies and 1.10 or lower for the B and E's. Any more than that and significant torsional load is transferred to the chassis; you begin to pop spot welds and tear sheet metal.
Posted By: feets

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 04/22/14 06:57 PM

Quote:

Unless you have a proper cage and significant reinforcement to support the chassis, I would stick with 1.06 or lower for A bodies and 1.10 or lower for the B and E's. Any more than that and significant torsional load is transferred to the chassis; you begin to pop spot welds and tear sheet metal.

That's where my money is.

You're dealing with more than 3,000 lbs of steel being thrashed over bangs and bumps and seeing all kinds of torsional loads. The bad part is that it's built of stamped sheet metal.

Beef up the suspension too far and it will be stiffer than the chassis it's hanging on.

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 04/22/14 11:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That might be just a bit of hyperbole. IMO, every load or movement of the car transfers load to the chassis, and those loads in small enough amounts might take millions of cycles to eventaully fatigue sheet metal and welds. ANYTHING that increases those loads decreases the amount of cycles the chassis can accept before failures crop up. Therefore for 99.99% confidence in your chassis, never move your car. For those not inclined to just look at their car, using a heavier TB then a smaller one will shorten the time in use before sheet metal tears and spot welds to pop. The following are some things that also cause these unfavorable mentioned earlier out comes:
1. Higher tire pressures
2. Lower profile Tires
3. Stiffer Tire side walls
4. Increased cargo/passenger weight
5. Higher driving speed
6. Bigger potholes
7. Increased braking forces
8. Faster cornering speeds
9. greater driving mileages
10. Previously abused chassis

Pick your poison, there is no free ride.

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 04/22/14 11:54 PM

While what you listed are effects on the system, the impacts you suggest are implying that the suspension system is like a go kart and all things are the same, where in this case, they are not. We are discussing the lever arm of force that is being applied to the chassis under compression. If I were to solid mount the suspension system, it would cause the same issues and the force would be applied to the chassis instead of being absorbed by the suspension. By making the suspension too stiff for what it was engineered to withstand, you will accelerate the fatigue to a car that we all already know was not assembled to the highest of standards. And these failures aren't brand specific. Look at the fatigue issues that the Mustang guys have with their spring pockets. They figured it out quicker, and then even Mopar jumped on board with engine compartment bracing.
Posted By: mopardamo

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 04/23/14 01:23 AM

Hello,

With a better handling car the force will go up when used as intended. The forces will also occur at a greater acceleration/rate due to the added stiffness of the suspension. This will increase the fatigue rate along with the higher forces of the improved handling.

Damon
Posted By: brads70

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 04/23/14 01:31 AM

Interesting... Dan , where does an e-body fail first ?

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 04/23/14 05:51 AM

In our experience, the three major fail points were:
-upper inner fender wells where they "attach" to the firewall
-Inner fender wells to shock tower
-Rear shock tower to frame horn

That was with 2 above average chassis'; about 30k street miles driven mostly in CA, AZ and NV; and probably 500 track miles and 2000ish autocross laps split between the two. Your results may vary.
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 04/23/14 06:35 AM

So how do you properly reinforce these failure points?
I am currently getting a cage welded in and would like to address it while its still in the early stages

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 04/23/14 07:38 AM

Quote:

So how do you properly reinforce these failure points?
I am currently getting a cage welded in and would like to address it while its still in the early stages

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=1#Post8073886
Posted By: brads70

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 04/23/14 01:22 PM

Quote:

That was with 2 above average chassis'; about 30k street miles driven mostly in CA, AZ and NV; and probably 500 track miles and 2000ish autocross laps split between the two. Your results may vary.

Thanks for sharing that! US cartool cowl brace should address the first two then?

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 04/23/14 05:15 PM

I've owned my Chally since 1975, always been rust free (stored winters), bought it with 22K odometer; been autocrossing it since 1975; car went through major transformation in mid-80s, including progressive changes in suspension (TBs, leafs, bushings, shocks, etc) primarily for concentrated hi-level SCCA Solo II/autocross competition, as well as for some hi-speed road course events). Streetable, but mostly trailerd between mid 80s through mid 2000s. Odometer currently has ~78K (put ~5K miles between mid 80s~early 2000). Chassis/unibody has no cracks or weld breakage, no stress cracks, etc... I know every inch of the car. Best mod ever for improved suspension handling was progressing stiffer with the TBs... the 1.24 is simply the largest to fit within the factory hex openings.... and a 1.24 TB is still very reasonable to drive daily... other mods compliment the "package" to my car.... again, primarily intended, and following the SCCA class rules for "E/Street Prepared".... rules have since changed a little since my past heavy involvement up to early 2000s, so a few other selective mods could be done, including welding in SFCs (must attach to the front and rear frame rails, not the leaf spring point).

The original T/A-AAR race cars used something like 1.4 diameter TBs.... makes the 1.24 and smaller TBs really weak by comparison. I had the opportunity to talk "unibody stiffness" with some Chrysler engineers face-to-face in the early 80s.. they told me our Mopars (concentrating on my E-body) had the strongest unibody designs compared against any makes, and even the AMC Javelins were very strong. At the time I was considering the "SCCA-Solo allowed Bolt-In SFCs"... they told me unless they were welded in, not to worry or bother with them (and I still don't have any SFCs.. maybe/probably someday). Our unibodies can certainly be strengthened, but I've never experienced any unibody or weld cracking, despite extreme g-forces (soft/ultra-sticky compound tires, such as Hoosiers). The car is intended to be driven at autocross and road course events, and certainly avoiding bad roads, pot holes, etc when driven on the street/hwy... If I were concerned about the ride stiffness, I wouldn't drive it on the street/hwy... even with the 1.24 TBs in it now, as well as some friends of mine with A-bodies having 1.14 (even 1.18), driving on the street/hwy is just fine and compliments the handling for better personal enjoyment.

Big TBs aren't for everyone, but small TBs (1.0~1.6~1.10) only lend the question: "These aren't bad at all... what would larger TBs be like?" That's why I encourage at least mid-range TBs like ~1.12-1.18 for best moderate results (leaning towards street/hwy as a larger % of someone's driving)... and still other mods are needed to compliment (leafs, shocks, etc). Don't forget.. "the nut-behind-the-wheel" will make the biggest difference.

Attached picture 8121855-JolietAutobahnOct72012-Mitch'sTA,Sandberg'AAR,Andrew'sChall.jpg
Posted By: B-Body Bull

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 04/23/14 05:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My Duster has broken these while using mopar 1.14 bars: k-member at control arm/torsion bar pivot, torsion bar cross member at torsion bar socket. A bodies are flimsy so get out the welder. Get some custom rate leafs to match large bars or it's Plow city. For me, I like the .99 bars addco front and rear sway bars, monroe shocks, and Hotchkiss 130lb leafs for driving my Duster. My stock suspension factory bars and leafs Duster with just low profile tires, front and rear sway bars and edelbrock shocks handled like a boat, when autocrossing in comparison.

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 04/26/14 05:50 AM

Boy, been on Moparts over ten years, and finally discover we should be picking our TB sizes based on possible spot weld failures. Who knew?

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 04/26/14 03:15 PM

Quote:

Boy, been on Moparts over ten years, and finally discover we should be picking our TB sizes based on possible spot weld failures. Who knew?

Some people get a little bummed when they just spent 50k on a freshly restored car and their front frame horn and inner fenders detach on a track day. Who knew?

We try to minimize failures as much as possible. We'd feel a bit liable if someone's car came apart because of a recommendation we made. Are you willing to be liable for it? Both of the cars we ran heavy TB's on began to see massive amounts of torsional loads shifted from the suspension to the body, and failures ensued. Not all of the cars out there are as well maintained as Mitch's car; and I would argue that my Road Runner is in about as good of shape as his Challenger. We didn't have any catastrophic failures, but sections of the frame horns started to come apart. I made the repairs needed and stepped down on the bars to our new production units.
Posted By: 68cuda440

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 04/27/14 05:32 AM

Quote:

Would the A-body then fail elsewhere? The shock towers on the A body appear to be a lot more stout and better attached to the frame rails. Any experience on the A body cars? My car has had some reinforcement and some additional welding, but nothing compared to the car you posted the link for that has a full cage being fabricated. The A-body has a lot of differences dimensionally, and has some design differences. Does it have more torsional rigidity than an E-body?

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 04/27/14 02:53 PM

Quote:

Would the A-body then fail elsewhere? The shock towers on the A body appear to be a lot more stout and better attached to the frame rails. Any experience on the A body cars? My car has had some reinforcement and some additional welding, but nothing compared to the car you posted the link for that has a full cage being fabricated. The A-body has a lot of differences dimensionally, and has some design differences. Does it have more torsional rigidity than an E-body?

An excellent question. I"m trying to recall, but the only thing I've personally noticed is about twice as many LCA pin hole failures on the K-Mmember. We are building 3 A-Bodies right now that should start hitting the streets in the next month or so. These will be the cars to watch.
Posted By: joes68340s

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 04/27/14 10:09 PM

I just purchased an AAR cuda that showed little to no rust only to find out that the inner frames have begun to rust in some locations. front drivers side at the rear K frame mount and outbored passenger side torsion bar spot. Im not worried about originality as I plan to drive the car and autox. Im bummed about the rust but repair there are many options now. Just glad I found it first before I through in bigger bars and such. I guess it gos to show these are old cars many people have handled them and you have to seriusly look them over and address the weakness of the car.

Re: A-body dailydriver 1" torsion bar upgrade - 04/27/14 10:33 PM

A-body frame rails appear to be weak even in factory stock state.
© 2024 Moparts Forums