Moparts

Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money

Posted By: 71340vert

Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/18/13 05:58 PM

Is the Hotchkis TVS kit really worth the money or can I accomplish similar handling with other popular tubular control arms and sway bars And stiffer leaf springs And torsion bars from a variety of different companies out there. The Hotchkiss system seems very pricey for what you get And it doesn't even include shocks
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/18/13 06:40 PM

Google shop the part #, you will be suprised how much the pricing changes between vendors.
Posted By: Viol8r

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/18/13 07:05 PM

I think the Upper control arms are a bit much for the normal enthusiest. Many companies offer a caster correct arm for a fraction of the cost. The tie rod kit is a bit excessive also for the same reason, not to mention I am not a huge fan of running heims for everyday use.

To answer your question, yes there are many options out there for most people. I run a combo of Hotckis springs, Firm Feel TB/ UCA, Ridetech shocks and obviously we will have an entire QA1 front end under it soon. With the above combo of parts (minus QA1) we were 3 seconds faster then the Hotchkis B-body R&D car at the OUSCI Pahrump road course.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/18/13 07:10 PM

Quote:

Is the Hotchkis TVS kit really worth the money or can I accomplish similar handling with other popular tubular control arms and sway bars And stiffer leaf springs And torsion bars from a variety of different companies out there. The Hotchkiss system seems very pricey for what you get And it doesn't even include shocks

The rear springs are unique and made for handling. They have mid eye's for lowering, second strong support leaf up to the front spring eye, and another leaf on top of the main leaf next to front eye to resist axle hop under braking. They are very different than MP H.D. or XHD or other common over the counter springs.

The upper control arm is relocated to reduce bump speed as opposed to just installing a tubular upper control arm on B and E body cars.

The rear sway bar is adjustable

The sub frame connectors connect directly to the leaf spring front shakle where the load is.

Sway bar eyelets are formed to receive/cup bushings as opposed to holes in flat surface.

The sway bar to frame bushing brackets are butressed for reinforcement.

Just some of the different added features between the Hotchkis stuff and others. You might not feel you need them or want them, but they are there.
Posted By: Dan@Hotchkis

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/18/13 07:31 PM

Quote:

I think the Upper control arms are a bit much for the normal enthusiest. Many companies offer a caster correct arm for a fraction of the cost. The tie rod kit is a bit excessive also for the same reason, not to mention I am not a huge fan of running heims for everyday use.

To answer your question, yes there are many options out there for most people. I run a combo of Hotckis springs, Firm Feel TB/ UCA, Ridetech shocks and obviously we will have an entire QA1 front end under it soon. With the above combo of parts (minus QA1) we were 3 seconds faster then the Hotchkis B-body R&D car at the OUSCI Pahrump road course.

I can't wait for a rematch so you can stop holding that over my head, lol. And stop leaving out the part where I beat you handily in the Autocross and Speed Stop(or that you finished 49th overall to my 38th, but whatever).
To the original poster, the best example of the effectiveness of our system would be the autocross event we just did in Carlisle. A 72 Scamp that was bone stock with a 1bbl Slant six placed 1st in A-Body (by nearly 3 seconds) and 6th overall with nothing done to the car other than our TVS and shocks.
Posted By: Viol8r

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/18/13 07:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I can't wait for a rematch so you can stop holding that over my head, lol. And stop leaving out the part where I beat you handily in the Autocross and Speed Stop(or that you finished 49th overall to my 38th, but whatever).
To the original poster, the best example of the effectiveness of our system would be the autocross event we just did in Carlisle. A 72 Scamp that was bone stock with a 1bbl Slant six placed 1st in A-Body (by nearly 3 seconds) and 6th overall with nothing done to the car other than our TVS and shocks.

Well done my friend, well done! Not sure a .5 second is "handily" since my car that had never seen an autocross, but whatever. I still look forward someday to the challenge. I build cars for tracks, not parking lots!! More or less kidding, I enjoy both arena's, but most will agree that they are vastly different.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/18/13 08:57 PM

As autoxcuda pointed out, there are some specific design differences in the Hotchkis products that differentiate them from most other parts out there. They are also designed to work together as a system to achieve very linear and predictable results with a minimal amount of effort. For that benefit, you pay a package price, which as others have said, can vary widely from outlet to outlet.

Are they worth it, the answer to that question may vary considerably from user to user. What is your intended application and how often is it used that way, what's your budget in $$, what's your budget in time, what is your mechanical ability, and what is your mathematical ability ( which will also be coupled with what amount of time, effort, and money are you willing to put into researching and understanding the dynamics and applications of suspension theory to under stand how to do all the "cipherin" necessary to combine the ideal mix of components to achieve similar results).

Can you duplicate their results, absolutely...and you can do it for a quarter of the cost, IF, you know why they did what they did, where to source similar components, or how to modify them to get those results, and then test them to validate the calculations.

Or you can buy their kit, install it over a weekend, and be back on the road with minimal downtime, headaches, and hassles.
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/19/13 12:09 AM

Quote:

Or you can buy their kit, install it over a weekend, and be back on the road with minimal downtime, headaches, and hassles.

This is exactly why I am interested in this kit, I want to drive my car as soon and as much as possible and have as much fun with it as possible. I don't really care who has the fastest setup as most of that boils down to driving ability and not the car itself. Is the Hotchkis TVS kit worth the $3.5-4K? What do I know? I think it is the best marketed though
Posted By: Fastback67

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/19/13 12:32 AM

Quote:

I saw that car at the show... I watched it on the track from above. I can't tell you how surprised I was when I went down to the field and actually looked at the car up close.... "Is this the same car that I just saw buzzing around the track?"... I found myself looking around the field for a similar looking car, because this little 6-banger couldn't possibly be the right one.

Way Cool!

Hopefully, I'll be out there next year with my ride.
Posted By: RokketRide

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/19/13 02:11 AM

I found a site that shows it for $2029 + 20 ship (A-body), and there is a 2% code that drops that by about 40 bucks. That's getting to be a pretty friendly price for what's included as a "pre-matched set".

Just add shocks and TBars.
Posted By: dangina

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/19/13 02:55 AM

If you can wait, hotchkis has a 20-25% off sale about twice a year, If I remember I think it was around thanksgiving and christmas?

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/19/13 03:01 AM

Quote:

If you can wait, hotchkis has a 20-25% off sale about twice a year, If I remember I think it was around thanksgiving and christmas?

And if you catch us at a show, we are usually 25% off!

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/19/13 05:06 AM

Quote:

I found a site that shows it for $2029 + 20 ship (A-body), and there is a 2% code that drops that by about 40 bucks. That's getting to be a pretty friendly price for what's included as a "pre-matched set".

Larry!

Long time

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/19/13 07:29 PM

Quote:

Not sure if the site you found is the same but I just bought the 80112 TVS kit from THMotorsports. They have the lowest price on Google search as of todays date (07/19/2013). I am also a previous customer and was able to get 2% off so my total was $2522 w/ free shipping
Posted By: cogen80

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/19/13 08:12 PM

Quote:

how low did the rear of the car sit? i have read guys complaining that the springs don't work so well on a dart/scamp body.

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/19/13 11:58 PM

Quote:

how low did the rear of the car sit? i have read guys complaining that the springs don't work so well on a dart/scamp body.

I may have a picture of the car, I'll have to check. I know my daughter took a short piece of Low-Fi video with that car in it, so if nothing else, I may be able to grab a shot from that.

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/20/13 04:31 PM

Here's a couple of shots (one from video). Sorry, but it's the best I can do for you at the moment.

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/20/13 04:40 PM

Quote:

Here's a couple of shots (one from video). Sorry, but it's the best I can do for you at the moment.

Fastback, you mind if I steal the bottom image? And if possible do you have a higher res?
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/20/13 08:07 PM

Although the Scamp had a fairly stock drivetrain, it did have upgraded wheels and brakes that most likely played a big roll in the event.

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/20/13 08:23 PM

Quote:

Fastback, you mind if I steal the bottom image? And if possible do you have a higher res?

No Problem Dan... Just shoot me a PM with an email address or whatever, and I'll send you the full rez image.

Mike

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/20/13 08:27 PM

Quote:

Although the Scamp had a fairly stock drivetrain, it did have upgraded wheels and brakes that most likely played a big roll in the event.

Tires yes. Brakes I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. It was a very short course.

What brake did the scamp have. Look like 11" rotor on some sliding piston caliper (stock or mustang 2 piston?) The drilled rotor would be worthless on that short course.

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/20/13 08:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Tires yes. Brakes I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. It was a very short course.

What brake did the scamp have. Look like 11" rotor on some sliding piston caliper (stock or mustang 2 piston?) The drilled rotor would be worthless on that short course.

How would 9-10" drums compare to that kit though? Did slant A-bodies come with front discs as an option at that time? Granted it is a short course, would it be long enough for brake fade to develop in drums?

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/20/13 08:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How would 9-10" drums compare to that kit though? Did slant A-bodies come with front discs as an option at that time? Granted it is a short course, would it be long enough for brake fade to develop in drums?

Yes /6 were always available with disc since 1966. More likely to see a /6 with disc in a '72 than a '66 for sure.

But when you said upgraded brakes, I'm thinking Willwood or something. Might be just a common simple inexpensive Late A-body or F-body disc swap.

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/21/13 12:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes /6 were always available with disc since 1966. More likely to see a /6 with disc in a '72 than a '66 for sure.

But when you said upgraded brakes, I'm thinking Willwood or something. Might be just a common simple inexpensive Late A-body or F-body disc swap.

When I said upgrade, I meant something better than stock (implying/assuming most slants didn't have discs).

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/21/13 03:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Not too bad. We autocrossed and short tracked the 62 R&D B-Body on 10" drums all four corners for 2 years.
Posted By: cogen80

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/21/13 10:39 PM

Quote:

good looking car but its a hard angle to see how the rear end sits.

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/22/13 12:49 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SwRwY6pDdE
If you watch this video it shows the Emax Chally going around cones. I just don't like the fact that the rear squats down and the front lifts up.
You can notice it in the first 60 secs of the video. I'm going to make sure that doesn't happen when I install the TVS kit on my car.

Other than that it looks good

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/22/13 01:14 AM

Quote:

If you watch this video it shows the Emax Chally going around cones. I just don't like the fact that the rear squats down and the front lifts up.
You can notice it in the first 60 secs of the video. I'm going to make sure that doesn't happen when I install the TVS kit on my car.

What "looks good" and "is fast" are two different things.

I'd FIRST make sure your car was as fast as that one, THEN worry about how it looks like during an autocross.

That car has turned autocross times close to better that much more expensive Pro Touring cars from Detroit Speed and Engineering, Swartz, etc, etc.

I think because it's lowered with the natual fender skirt those cars have, it's look like the rear is low just standing still. It's just transfering weight to the rear on acceleration.

If the rear was jacked up 2-3" to start with and the rear compressed the same as in that video, you would not notice it. Even though it's compressing the exact same.

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/22/13 01:53 AM

I dont know much about suspensions and am still learning, but doesnt the weight transfer to the rear lessen front grip? Can that phenomenon be alleviated in some way? No doubt the car is fast, just seems weird to me?

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/22/13 02:46 AM

Quote:

I dont know much about suspensions and am still learning, but doesnt the weight transfer to the rear lessen front grip? Can that phenomenon be alleviated in some way? No doubt the car is fast, just seems weird to me?

It's comming out of the corner and going generally straight. Doesn't need front grip. But needs to keep rear tires from spining.

Traction Circle or Friction Circle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjCcFsGLpaM

http://www.rapid-racer.com/driving.php#Car Traction Circle

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/22/13 02:11 PM

Quote:

Controlling proper weight transfer is very important to car handling. Allowing the nose to come up generates rear traction while accelerating out of a turn. The front wheels are fairly straight and not doing much of anything at that time.

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/22/13 05:32 PM

In my original post, I guess I should have mentioned that this car is going to see a lot of daily driving. I just wanted to upgrade the car to a nice handling suspension. I've heard concerns about Hiem joints for daily use. Should I be concerned? The car has already been stiffened withXV Motorsport stiffening kit. Will have viper disc brakes up front and big Brembo brakes in back from SRT 8 jeep. New Hemi with Nag 1 trans. The price for the Hotchkis system from THmotorsport is a good price and will probably buy that especiallu if they will giver torsion bars in lieu of frame connectors that I already have.
Can some one make a recommendation for shocks for me? I was thinking about Bilsteins. Also looking for a front wheel that will fit a viper 14.25 diameter rotor. Hopefully something in an 18 inch that's not too pricey.

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/22/13 05:35 PM

Quote:

In my original post, I guess I should have mentioned that this car is going to see a lot of daily driving. I just wanted to upgrade the car to a nice handling suspension. I've heard concerns about Hiem joints for daily use. Should I be concerned? The car has already been stiffened withXV Motorsport stiffening kit. Will have viper disc brakes up front and big Brembo brakes in back from SRT 8 jeep. New Hemi with Nag 1 trans. The price for the Hotchkis system from THmotorsport is a good price and will probably buy that especiallu if they will giver torsion bars in lieu of frame connectors that I already have.
Can some one make a recommendation for shocks for me? I was thinking about Bilsteins. Also looking for a front wheel that will fit a viper 14.25 diameter rotor. Hopefully something in an 18 inch that's not too pricey.

Our Fox shocks are tuned to run with our system. Also, if you piece together the kit vs. Buying it out right (same price) you can exclude the subframe connectors and add the torsion bars.
Posted By: mopardude318

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/23/13 07:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

It's comming out of the corner and going generally straight. Doesn't need front grip. But needs to keep rear tires from spining.

as i was watching those videos, i couldnt help but have the "deer in the headlights" look...

uhhhhhhhhhhhh....WHAT???

I just drive the damn car. Ill buy a kit that works, and let someone else do all the mathematician mumbo jumbo, when puttin one together... then go ripping

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/23/13 07:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

as i was watching those videos, i couldnt help but have the "deer in the headlights" look...

uhhhhhhhhhhhh....WHAT???

I just drive the damn car. Ill buy a kit that works, and let someone else do all the mathematician mumbo jumbo, when puttin one together... then go ripping

I'm sorry. I couldn't find just a plain simple explanation that they teach in almost every track day driving school.

It's much simpler that that dudes math.
Posted By: 340duster340

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 07/26/13 06:29 PM

no experience with their parts personally, but there is value to be had with parts that are designed to work together and buying them all at once.

i have had various projects and more recently (post baby) have not had the time to hunt out the best deal part for part and then tinker to make it all work together.

regardless of this, before you buy anything, you should have an idea of what you want to do with the car, and your budget and buy what works for that. if you dont have a plan, before you buy parts it might not end well.
Posted By: fastbackmopar

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 08/02/13 03:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm running Wilwoods drilled and slotted kit on the front and 11" drums on the rear.
Posted By: fastbackmopar

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 08/02/13 04:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I saw that car at the show... I watched it on the track from above. I can't tell you how surprised I was when I went down to the field and actually looked at the car up close.... "Is this the same car that I just saw buzzing around the track?"... I found myself looking around the field for a similar looking car, because this little 6-banger couldn't possibly be the right one.

Way Cool!

Hopefully, I'll be out there next year with my ride.

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you liked it.

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 08/07/13 06:02 PM

up date, I just ordered the Hotchkis TVS from Autoplicity. The price was much friendlier from them and they allowed me to swap the frame rail connectors for Hotchkis torsion bars and I just paid the difference. Also bought the Hotchkis tuned Fox shocks that are not listed on their website but they were able to get for me at a nice savings and they are shipping all of it for $50. They were very helpful on the phone, and seemed to like their job unlike so many people I've tried to buy parts from. Pleasure doing business with them. They seem to have great customer service. They told me it might take a day or two longer to receive my parts because they were breaking up a kit. I appreciate them letting me know that and being honest about the delivery time frame. If I get everything I ordered in the time frame I was told, I will highly recommend using them

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 08/07/13 07:52 PM

Quote:

They told me it might take a day or two longer to receive my parts because they were breaking up a kit.

It shouldn't matter really... every piece of the kit comes in it's own individual box anyway. At least, that's how mine arrived, one box at a time.

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 08/09/13 05:39 AM

Hey Dan,
I know it depends on the brake setup as well, but do you know roughly how much back spacing with the Hotchkis upper control arms is needed?
I want to get an idea of how wide a wheel I can fit in the front of an E body Cuda

Thanks
Posted By: BergmanAutoCraft

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 08/09/13 12:26 PM

My normal setup is 18x9 and 18x10. 5.5 bs and 5.75 respectively.

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 08/09/13 05:38 PM

I concur!

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money - 08/09/13 10:09 PM

You mention on another forum instances where the Emax Chally had stock welds fail
http://www.protouringmopar.com/showthread.php?838-Hotchkis-E-Max-Challenger
Do you mind disclosing where the failures were located so I can reinforce them on my car?

Thanks
© 2024 Moparts Forums