Moparts

Getting ready for sub-connectors

Posted By: 72440CUDA

Getting ready for sub-connectors - 03/30/13 11:31 PM

Well, I've had these prototype US Car Tool subframe connectors sitting in in my garage since they hit the market (6-7 years ago?)

I'm finally ready to install them. I have my interior gutted, except for the dash and a seat so I can still drive it.

I just got back from the body shop and had them put the car on a lift and tram-gauge it to make sure everything is square and level. Everything is good.

They are letting me do the work at their shop on a weekend, so that will save me on the labor

My question is, since the car is pretty much at full weight and won't be on a rotisserie... is it better to weld these in with the car on a lift (suspension drooped), or to have the weight on the tires up on a lifted frame rack?

This will be my first installment of chassis rigidity.
Posted By: m88mark

Re: Getting ready for sub-connectors - 03/30/13 11:43 PM

4 post lift, on tires.

Mark
Posted By: BigSugar

Re: Getting ready for sub-connectors - 03/31/13 01:14 AM

I would level the chassis left to right and unload the bulk of suspension and engine weight, with more stands.
support the chassis at eight points. front crossmember, rear crossmember and at the forward section of the chassis and the rear.
The chassis is the foundation of the suspension , Subframe connectors and Torque boxes are to beef up the foundation.
If you Chassis or Unibody is under load from the suspension it may not be true and square, Losts of Mopars rubnning around with bad rear leafs and misadjusted torsion bars.

While your under thee gusset your steering box with a little triangular piece of heavy gauge, and if your up to it add the reinforcing plate to the underside of your LCA (Mancni , Firm Feel)

Ron
Posted By: brads70

Re: Getting ready for sub-connectors - 03/31/13 01:27 AM

I bought a set of those too and quickly gave up on them and sold them. Too much work to fit them to the floor IMO. I then made my own from 1X2 square tubing cost be $10!
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Getting ready for sub-connectors - 04/01/13 04:13 PM

If your car is complete, assembled, and in driving condition, install them with the weight on the four tires to maintain the intergity of all the panel alignment.

If its apart and under construction, square it up and make it as flat and plumb as possibe by using up to 9 jackstands to loacte everything.

There is a reason competition cars are welded up on a chassis plate, but, the vast majority of us do not need that much precision in the foundation of our classics that are only weekend cruisers.

Re: Getting ready for sub-connectors - 04/01/13 05:56 PM

Quote:

If your car is complete, assembled, and in driving condition, install them with the weight on the four tires to maintain the intergity of all the panel alignment.

If its apart and under construction, square it up and make it as flat and plumb as possibe by using up to 9 jackstands to loacte everything.

There is a reason competition cars are welded up on a chassis plate, but, the vast majority of us do not need that much precision in the foundation of our classics that are only weekend cruisers.

This is sort of what I was thinking
Posted By: shart70rt

Re: Getting ready for sub-connectors - 04/28/13 02:35 AM

I finally got mine in, but ridiculous amount of grinding and cutting on them was necessary to make them fit. Poor product in my opinion.
Posted By: edco440

Re: Getting ready for sub-connectors - 04/28/13 08:23 PM

Quote:

I bought a set of those too and quickly gave up on them and sold them. Too much work to fit them to the floor IMO. I then made my own from 1X2 square tubing cost be $10!

Exactly the same scenario with me. I sold mine off and am going to use 1X2 Square tubing,, welded on my Bend-Pak 16 HDX
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: Getting ready for sub-connectors - 05/02/13 04:19 PM

Quote:

I finally got mine in, but ridiculous amount of grinding and cutting on them was necessary to make them fit. Poor product in my opinion.

agreed,these cars tolerances are all over the place,its actualy a miracle that anything fits them as intended from time to time
Posted By: BergmanAutoCraft

Re: Getting ready for sub-connectors - 05/03/13 12:35 PM

Much easier to weld with the suspension hanging. As long as the car is well supported I've never had an issue. In theory it would be nice to weld on a four post, but I don't know how you would get to the outside to weld properly.

That said I am wrapping up an A body is car tool install. Frame connectors take 3 hrs per side of prep for welding, plus R and R carpet, etc.

Re: Getting ready for sub-connectors - 05/03/13 04:03 PM

I've been contacted by a member from US Car Tool. They said there have been improvements to their design and that I can send mine back in exchange for their updated (better fitting) model

I'm tempted to go with the full kit
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Getting ready for sub-connectors - 05/04/13 12:40 AM

I made my own out of 2x3 tube. Total install time was a few hours per side.
Posted By: sogtx

Re: Getting ready for sub-connectors - 05/08/13 01:55 AM

Getting ready for a hotchkis sale
© 2024 Moparts Forums