Moparts

I wish my car could do this

Posted By: Kern Dog

I wish my car could do this - 03/28/13 07:57 AM

Yeah, it isn't a Mopar and it sounds terrible, but THIS guy is a great wheel man.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqWhvM8k1Tc
Posted By: Pale_Roader

Re: I wish my car could do this - 03/28/13 09:44 AM

Insane. Hats off to that engine-builder too... that silly little thing never came under the stratosphere the whole time.
Posted By: brads70

Re: I wish my car could do this - 03/29/13 03:14 AM

That's pretty wild when he gets the car airbourn sideways and sticks the landing.(4:25) Wondering how it didn't roll! Wicked talent for sure!
Posted By: 67autocross

Re: I wish my car could do this - 03/29/13 03:41 AM

Anyone drift an old mopar? This car looks neat, not that most older mopar guys would like it but the you kids sure like the drift cars.

http://wallls.com/download/35800/1280x1024/

Re: I wish my car could do this - 03/29/13 06:20 AM

A large percentage of the Mopar guys are either drag racers or people that wax and cruise their cars. Strap them in with Ken Block for a trip like THIS one and you'll see them freak out.
I'm impressed with this stuff. It is much harder to wheel a car like this than to keep the car straight for 1600 feet or to make left turn after left turn after left turn...
I've been doing stuff like this off road for 30 years. Doing it on a paved surface is a whole 'nuther game. Major skills are needed to go this fast sideways without cracking up.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: I wish my car could do this - 03/29/13 09:12 AM

I could not tell if it was rear, front or all wheel drive, but that driver is awsome! Especially at 4:28....Tim
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: I wish my car could do this - 03/29/13 02:11 PM

Quote:

I could not tell if it was rear, front or all wheel drive, but that driver is awsome! Especially at 4:28....Tim

There smoke coming off four tires, pretty good sign it's AWD, It would be an absolute blast to take a ride with Ken Block..
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: I wish my car could do this - 03/29/13 02:13 PM

Quote:

Anyone drift an old mopar? This car looks neat, not that most older mopar guys would like it but the you kids sure like the drift cars.

We didn't call it drifting back in the day.
Posted By: amxautox

Re: I wish my car could do this - 03/29/13 03:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

We didn't call it drifting back in the day.

Lets see, there was 'power sliding', 'hanging out the rear', 'loosin it, then catchin it' and such.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: I wish my car could do this - 03/29/13 04:51 PM

Yes, your car can do that. Just add hand lever turning brakes and drive it like its a disposable Ford Fiesta.

Gawd, what a troll like little car.

Quote:

Mopar does have a pro drift Viper and Challenger, both new, however. I believe there is a group in Sweden that does some classic Mopar drifting for fun. Nothing in the pro ranks though.

For anyone to do this though, you need to look at the car as disposable, like any other contact racing, such as Saturday night bullrings. That's probably a big reason why you don't see many classics doing these things, and certainly won't see a vintage mopar in the mix. Although with Dynacorn, '69 Camaros could join up and play.

Re: I wish my car could do this - 03/29/13 06:09 PM

A point was made about treating these cars as disposable. It didn't occur to me until then that the mortality rate of race/competition type cars is pretty low.
Good point. I'm not willing to beat up any Mopar that is restorable....except for maybe a 4 door Aspen or Volare.
Posted By: dangina

Re: I wish my car could do this - 03/30/13 02:43 AM

Quote:

A point was made about treating these cars as disposable. It didn't occur to me until then that the mortality rate of race/competition type cars is pretty low.
Good point. I'm not willing to beat up any Mopar that is restorable....except for maybe a 4 door Aspen or Volare.

I currently drift a AE86 with a lexus v8 swap, I think my next car will be a 71-75 duster/dart seeing how they're still pretty cheap and lightweight and amd pretty much makes all the panels you need...
Posted By: PHJ426

Re: I wish my car could do this - 03/30/13 03:09 AM

Like was said before that sideways jump that he sticks was bad.......

I still can't believe the car landed like that kept on going.

Re: I wish my car could do this - 03/30/13 05:10 AM

Like any other movie, I'm sure there were multiple "takes" on some of the stunts. Patch it all together and it looks like he never stopped moving.
That right turn after the jump WAS amazing.
For a laugh, on youtube, check "Drifting idiot". Some dork gets out of his car while it is spinning a donut, then the car runs over him!
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: I wish my car could do this - 03/30/13 05:20 AM

Quote:

Like any other movie, I'm sure there were multiple "takes" on some of the stunts. Patch it all together and it looks like he never stopped moving.
For a laugh, on youtube, check "Drifting idiot". Some dork gets out of his car while it is spinning a donut, then the car runs over him!

My neighbor was part of the crew that set up the barricades for filming... Every morning @ 5 am for two weeks they barricaded a small section of the course & ran that section of the course half a dozen times... Crazy part, the city permit was only $100.00... But conforming to the safety requirements cost a little more..

Re: I wish my car could do this - 03/30/13 07:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

My neighbor was part of the crew that set up the barricades for filming... Every morning @ 5 am for two weeks they barricaded a small section of the course & ran that section of the course half a dozen times... Crazy part, the city permit was only $100.00... But conforming to the safety requirements cost a little more..

They buzzed that hyperactive lawnmower through a residential neighborhood at 5AM...??? No one complained...??? hahahaha
Posted By: Nate K

Re: I wish my car could do this - 03/31/13 02:42 AM

I could watch Ken Block drive all day long.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: I wish my car could do this - 03/31/13 04:48 AM

I dont want to sound negative,but, I think Ken Block is a rich wannabe driver with an excellent film crew. Look at all the marks on the street in his videos, his talent isnt anything to shout about. I believe he even tried to compete in the WRC and wrecked ALOT. Here is a video with way better sound and a driver that only needed ONE take. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72hTSFkYVAo

Re: I wish my car could do this - 03/31/13 09:05 AM

Quote:

I dont want to sound negative,but, I think Ken Block is a rich wannabe driver with an excellent film crew. Look at all the marks on the street in his videos, his talent isnt anything to shout about. I believe he even tried to compete in the WRC and wrecked ALOT. Here is a video with way better sound and a driver that only needed ONE take. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72hTSFkYVAo

You sound negative. I dont care how many takes that took... the guy is ridiculously talented/skilled...

Re: I wish my car could do this - 03/31/13 10:12 AM

I will agree that Tanner Foust is talented. Anyone that can compete head to head with Rhys Millen and come out on top has to be skilled.
The video link with him on Mulholland is impressive. The V8 in that car is sweet symphony compared to the fart canned Ford driven by Ken Block.
However.....
I agree with Pale Roader: No matter how many takes were needed, the moves made with the Ford are spectacular. The precision of the sliding turns and the control within the tight barricades is nothing short of amazing.
Posted By: MPerry

Re: I wish my car could do this - 03/31/13 11:46 AM

Just because a racer prefers to go straight doesn't mean they can't drive. http://bangshift.com/blog/watch-larry-di...ng-history.html
Posted By: feets

Re: I wish my car could do this - 03/31/13 04:47 PM

Ken Block had a better finished product than princess Tanner. Both guys are really talented. However, I'd much rather get through the course faster and spend less money on tires.

I just can't get into the azz wagging non-race stuff.

Re: I wish my car could do this - 03/31/13 08:29 PM

Get on YouTube and search Ken Block crash. It won't take long to see how much stuff the uber talented Block has wadded up. The guy has some skill for sure but please. Guys like Robby Gordon, Tony Stewart, Kasey Kahne, Jimmy Johnson and that hotshoe that took the Viper around the Ring, those guys have serious talent and are true "wheelmen". These guys can kickass in ANYTHING with 4 wheels.

Re: I wish my car could do this - 04/01/13 04:05 PM

Quote:

That is exactly why I defected to chevy and then ford when I was oval track racing. I couldn't see tearing up any more classic mopars. Learned a lot about suspension dynamics by dealing with the benefits and shortcoming of the other two brands too. However, with the repoping of Challenger bodies, it makes a good argument to get more classics into potentially destructive racing series.

Quote:

Just because a racer prefers to go straight doesn't mean they can't drive. http://bangshift.com/blog/watch-larry-di...ng-history.html

IMO, there was a lot more luck in that sequence than skill because for a few hundred feet, there was no driver control. Sure Dixon got it back into his lane after the fact to prevent further issues, but if not for the other car grenading their mill first, that could have turned out a whole lot different.

Quote:

Agreed. As long as there are "style" points involved, it is too similar to the subjectiveness of figure skating, regardless of the talent involved or the level of competition.

Re: I wish my car could do this - 04/01/13 06:15 PM

Quote:

Get on YouTube and search Ken Block crash. It won't take long to see how much stuff the uber talented Block has wadded up.

I didn't say he was uber talented. He simply has talent. Sure, he's wadded up a bunch of cars but he's doing things with them that I can't do.

Re: I wish my car could do this - 04/01/13 06:25 PM

My post wasn't a response to yours Feets. I have a friend from Minnesota who has met Block and from what he said about the guy at the Rally event, Ken needs to stick to selling shoes and making videos with the help of Hollywood. He also met Travis Pastrana and said nothing but good things and that he is a very grateful gentleman.
Posted By: V��peli

Re: I wish my car could do this - 04/01/13 06:48 PM

Ken Block is good making show videos. Like his longest jump with WRC rally car... lol. What a BS. Maybe it was at USA.

But i would say best all around driver is Kimi Räikkönen.
F1 world champion. Was doing good at WRC. Tested even Nascar Nationwide 17. and Trucks 25. I would say, not bad for first timer at Nascar.

Re: I wish my car could do this - 04/01/13 08:14 PM

Wow... This post motivated a Finnish response!

Re: I wish my car could do this - 04/01/13 09:02 PM

If you say someone is good driver and fin´s are like Don´t bother to post it
We fin´s are motorsport crazy ppl, Eu first drag strip, ruled WRC till Loeb come (he is best, ever), not bad at F1.
Only thing fins don´t understand is Nascar... "but they drive only circle and always turn left... "
Tho i like Nascar, lots of passing, racing few inch from each other etc... much more fun than watching F1... XXX got lead at start and that´s it...

Re: I wish my car could do this - 04/01/13 09:28 PM

Some of the coolest Mopars on the planet are in Finland. You Fins dont muck around...

Re: I wish my car could do this - 04/01/13 09:45 PM

My favourite Mopar at Finland atm. 1970 4d New Yorker... 528 BB + twin turbos. What i heard, goal is 300kmp at standing mile and 10sec at 1/4 Weight is +1900kg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIE4sYf8beI

Re: I wish my car could do this - 04/01/13 11:04 PM

I sure hope that I wasn't misinterpreted. I meant no offense. I hadn't noticed your screen name before and was surprised.
We Americans tend to forget that other countries exist too.
Sorry if you were offended, Greg
Posted By: cudazappa

Re: I wish my car could do this - 04/02/13 01:16 AM

As James May said:
"if you want to win, get a Fin"

Re: I wish my car could do this - 04/02/13 11:16 AM

Quote:

Ken Block had a better finished product than princess Tanner. Both guys are really talented. However, I'd much rather get through the course faster and spend less money on tires.

You know whats REALLY annoying about drift. The ongoing "debate" about whether a drifter could finish a course faster than a normal racer. Maybe i'm just surrounded by idiots, but everyone just equates vehicular drama with speed. The guy making the most noise, hanging it out the most HAS to be the fastest guy out there. No one has any real idea bout racing... The fastest guy is usually the guy that looks the slowest because he makes it all look so fluid, effortless and easy.

Heh... it used to be people watching too much Smokey and the Bandit. Now its too much Fast and Furious. I cant win...

Re: I wish my car could do this - 04/02/13 06:00 PM

Same, whats the polite word...dookie, different generation.

I believe somewhere, someplace, sometime, I saw a video where someone did the comparison. Drift car and road race car, ran the same course and surprise, the drift car was signficantly slower.

Try youtube or streetfire and you may find it.

Re: I wish my car could do this - 04/02/13 10:19 PM

I used to teach the drivers that a fast lap has no drama. Once you start hearing tires sliding you're wasting time. Wasting tires too.
Posted By: Secret Chimp

Re: I wish my car could do this - 04/02/13 10:20 PM

Quote:

My favourite Mopar at Finland atm. 1970 4d New Yorker... 528 BB + twin turbos. What i heard, goal is 300kmp at standing mile and 10sec at 1/4 Weight is +1900kg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIE4sYf8beI

This is badass

Re: I wish my car could do this - 04/04/13 05:36 PM

For your consideration:

http://worldtuningfans.com/2012/09/is-a-modified-race-car-or-modified-drift-car-faster/

Re: I wish my car could do this - 04/04/13 08:41 PM

I couldn't run the audio at work but it looks like the drifter was holding the racer back by blocking the track. I would have liked to see lap 2 where the racer was out front.
Posted By: amxautox

Re: I wish my car could do this - 04/04/13 08:47 PM

The road course driver had to back pedel a few times to keep from running into the drift car. The 2 drivers agreed that the road course car could sorta easily beat the drift car. And that the drift cars nowadays are much better than they were a few short years ago, more horsepower, etc.

Re: I wish my car could do this - 04/04/13 10:35 PM

Vaughn is a wheelman. Car control was good in that video. That drift car had at least a 100hp advantage on that "Road Course" car.

Re: I wish my car could do this - 04/05/13 12:42 AM

The drift car had a 20 hp and 400 lb advantage.

Re: I wish my car could do this - 04/05/13 01:26 AM

Looked like more by the way it pulled away on the straights.
Posted By: boydsdodge

Re: I wish my car could do this - 04/05/13 02:28 AM

Here's one for us mopar nuts.
http://youtu.be/cEvw0Gs2_ko

Re: I wish my car could do this - 04/05/13 07:26 AM

That Drift Dart...It had a transverse engine but spewed dirt and gravel from the rear tires. How the heck can that be? Is it an AWD with the front drive set up for a disconnect?
Posted By: boydsdodge

Re: I wish my car could do this - 04/05/13 12:24 PM

From what a read, it's based on the upcoming all wheel drive SRT Dart.

Re: I wish my car could do this - 04/05/13 04:21 PM

According to the specs in the video;
Drift car Am Iron car
3200# 3600#
463hp 424hp
398tq 409tq

Yes, it appears the drift car is fully blocking the lane on occasion and you can hear the Am Iron car feathering the throttle to avoid hitting him. If they revesred the starting postion, I think you would see a much greaer delta in times across the stripe when the Am Iron car is not waiting for the Drifter the be clear of contact.

Somewhere a couple years ago, I recall seeing a similar comparison based on pure lap times. The drift car lagged significantly behind in absolute time, which I still say, it it isn't just about getting there first and it involves scoring for "style" then it is motorized figure skating. That doesn't mean that drift drivers suck nor that drifting isn't a legit sport, it just doesnt turn my crank.
Posted By: surmanajaja

Re: I wish my car could do this - 04/20/13 07:28 PM

here is a local guy driving a low-buck classic muscle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH08WloZHKY

there is another local dude driving a diesel-mercedes drifter but that has Toyota aristo axles, Top Gear guys filmed it but I dont watch it so I dont know if they showed it.

the ken block video is not impressive to me, practise and multiple takes, I could do that if you give me that car. seriously.

here is a guy with real talent driving a car without abs or powersteering:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R7ws741KpE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKgeCQGu_ug

Re: I wish my car could do this - 04/21/13 02:53 AM

Any guy who survived and thrived in Rally during the Group B days is a Rockstar period.
© 2024 Moparts Forums