Moparts

Track Day

Posted By: HUSTLESTUFF

Track Day - 03/03/13 11:53 PM

Took the charger out for an NCRC track day at Thunderhill Raceway. Had a great time and car did very well. Very neutral handling. I took the driver instruction since it was only my second track day and first at that track. Picked up significantly with an instructor. Had 5 20 minute sessions.

There were alot of guys that loved seeing a muscle car on the track. The only other was a 65 mustang with a 60+ yo driver. They were impressed at how it handled.

The new motor did well but ran a little hot, probably need to put in a thermostat. Also need to add a little camber in left side as its a counter-clockwise track.

I spun twice, went in too hard and turned while braking and forgot to let out clutch before I started turn.

Attached picture 7611867-EV0G6210.jpg

Re: Track Day - 03/03/13 11:54 PM

another

Attached picture 7611870-EV0G4211.jpg

Re: Track Day - 03/03/13 11:55 PM

Attached picture 7611872-EV0G6299.jpg
Posted By: amxautox

Re: Track Day - 03/04/13 12:08 AM

Ya got some nice sized meats under there.
Posted By: SCATPK

Re: Track Day - 03/04/13 12:25 AM

Looks good Mike, love the car!
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Track Day - 03/04/13 12:25 AM

I would love to hear more about this car..

Re: Track Day - 03/04/13 12:36 AM

I need a race seat in there. I have stock buckets with corbeau over the shoulder 3 point belts. I added tech info on register.
Posted By: dangina

Re: Track Day - 03/04/13 02:21 AM

Quote:

I need a race seat in there. I have stock buckets with corbeau over the shoulder 3 point belts. I added tech info on register.

great looking car! represent!
Posted By: 72440CUDA

Re: Track Day - 03/04/13 04:06 AM

That car is so sick!

...no pun intended (Biohazard)

Re: Track Day - 03/04/13 04:24 AM

I got this PM

You have a very nice balanced and robust package IMO. Couple of questions, are your front rims maxed out clearance/size/BS wise at 9" wide and whatever your BS was? Are your brakes 100% up to the task or are you likely tweaking them further such as brake ducts, etc? You seem like one to baby the car on the track. I'm trying to see if that robust brake package is near its limit or still has reserve, seems with that motor, and car weight you are nearing the edge, but I'm just guessing here.

Regarding race seats, I got my son a Racetech integral headrest seat for his 5.0 track car, its got to be the safeset solution, although if used on street it might get extra LEO attention.

Again very nice set-up.
you seem like one to baby the car on the track

I like to beat the crap out of my cars ask skatpk

Re: Track Day - 03/04/13 04:34 AM

You can't always determine if a driver is babying the car or abusing it from still pictures. Expecialy those that you posted because of where the car is on track/in the corner/coming out of the corner, shortchutes between corners as the car isn't leaning over and the tires aren't scrubbing the edges or sides. I'm hoping you have a vid or 3 that you could post, hint hint.

Re: Track Day - 03/04/13 05:25 AM

Quote:

You can't always determine if a driver is babying the car or abusing it from still pictures. Expecialy those that you posted because of where the car is on track/in the corner/coming out of the corner, shortchutes between corners as the car isn't leaning over and the tires aren't scrubbing the edges or sides. I'm hoping you have a vid or 3 that you could post, hint hint.

Hows this???

Attached picture 7612415-EV0G4989.jpg

Re: Track Day - 03/04/13 05:27 AM

I didnt feel the car pushing. Like I said need more camber.

Re: Track Day - 03/04/13 05:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Hows this???

That shows some tire action and slight body lean, but it's pretty darn flat.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Track Day - 03/04/13 06:13 AM

Quote:

I got this PM

"You have a very nice balanced and robust package IMO. Couple of questions, are your front rims maxed out clearance/size/BS wise at 9" wide and whatever your BS was? Are your brakes 100% up to the task or are you likely tweaking them further such as brake ducts, etc? You seem like one to baby the car on the track.. I'm trying to see if that robust brake package is near its limit or still has reserve, seems with that motor, and car weight you are nearing the edge, but I'm just guessing here.

Regarding race seats, I got my son a Racetech integral headrest seat for his 5.0 track car, its got to be the safeset solution, although if used on street it might get extra LEO attention.

Again very nice set-up."...

I guess some people really get off on pizzing on your leg while shaking your hand.

Somehow in a handful of pictures some guy can analyze a driving style. AND, you just said it was your second track day.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Track Day - 03/04/13 06:54 AM

That is what I like to see, a nice car getting driven like its meant to be.
Posted By: ThermoQuad

Re: Track Day - 03/04/13 11:52 AM

Nice!!!

Very Nice!!!

In the pics you will see the collector for the right side header being pushed down. This happens when the engine mount compresses on the right side under duress. I can show you 2 other cars on the track doing the same thing if you don't believe me. Meanwhile this stresses the exhaust hangers on the right side. The cure is the torque rod setup from schumaker creations installed on the passenger side, so you end up with one on both sides... This set up was tested in june 2012 at the glen and it works....
Posted By: V��peli

Re: Track Day - 03/04/13 02:02 PM

HUSTLESTUFF. Any videos? If not, get Gopro etc and share them pls
Posted By: B-Body Bull

Re: Track Day - 03/04/13 04:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I got this PM

"You have a very nice balanced and robust package IMO. Couple of questions, are your front rims maxed out clearance/size/BS wise at 9" wide and whatever your BS was? Are your brakes 100% up to the task or are you likely tweaking them further such as brake ducts, etc? You seem like one to baby the car on the track.. I'm trying to see if that robust brake package is near its limit or still has reserve, seems with that motor, and car weight you are nearing the edge, but I'm just guessing here.

Again very nice set-up."...

I guess some people really get off on pizzing on your leg while shaking your hand.

Somehow in a handful of pictures some guy can analyze a driving style. AND, you just said it was your second track day.

F'n LMAO ! ! G__ forbid if the pics posted didn't fit in the screen setting with an obsolete monitor and keyboard ! USE THE zoom button on the lower left !
Posted By: B-Body Bull

Re: Track Day - 03/04/13 04:30 PM

I spun twice, went in too hard and turned while braking and forgot to let out clutch before I started turn.

Now you know why a rear sway bar is not used by some. But if you learn your car,you can adjust and be fast. I'm jealous, (CHARGER !) All I have is a NEON .
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: Track Day - 03/04/13 04:32 PM

Very cool... "MoPower" to ya! Hoperfully you'll get to the May 2013 Spring Fling with the car and run the road course track event with them.

Re: Track Day - 03/04/13 08:29 PM

Quote:

Now you know why a rear sway bar is not used by some. But if you learn your car,you can adjust and be fast. I'm jealous, (CHARGER !) All I have is a NEON .

No rear bar on the car...just me pushing hard and being new. I do have one video I will try to upload and one of the instructors is supposed to send me some video from front and back.
Posted By: edco440

Re: Track Day - 03/04/13 09:52 PM

Very Nice! Can someone explain using both engine mount sides,(Pass and drivers) from Schumacher? Are you saying to mount BOTH sides?? I have his torque rod setup on my 70 R/T Shaker Hood car on the drivers side,,love it!

Re: Track Day - 03/04/13 10:00 PM

Yes, BOTH sides.

One rod on the left side of the engine, and one rod on the right side of the engine, AT THE SAME TIME.

Have someone in the driver's seat. Engine running, in gear, parking brake on, his foot HARD on the brakes.

Stand beside the right fender and watch the motormount rubber.

Have the 'driver' punch the throttle.

The rubber will compress and you can see it, expecialy when you have a rod on the left side as the left won't come up hardly, therefore the right HAS to go down and compress the rubber as the engine WILL torque over.
Posted By: 67autocross

Re: Track Day - 03/04/13 11:01 PM

Why not a engine plate at that point? It would also tie the front frame rails together.

Re: Track Day - 03/04/13 11:04 PM

Some organizations don't allow plates, or solid mounts.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Track Day - 03/05/13 12:45 AM

I'm gonna go solid driver side ,poly passenger side.
Posted By: MrAngry

Re: Track Day - 03/05/13 01:22 AM

That's awesome man! Keep it up!!
Posted By: dangina

Re: Track Day - 03/05/13 02:29 AM

I wouldn't call it it "babying it" if your out on a track - props!need some vids!
Posted By: 340duster340

Re: Track Day - 03/05/13 05:33 PM

thanks for posting the pics and nice ride. what tires are you running and how many laps do you get out of them?

also does your car have head rests? if not i would seriously recommend getting seats with head rest. talk to any paramedic and ask them what a pez dispenser refers to in their line of work.

Re: Track Day - 03/05/13 09:15 PM

The torque strut needs to be on both sides.
It works, we tested the dual set up hard in 2012.

A solid mount on the driver side and anything on the right will not solve the problem. Solid mounts are not good for the car.

As far a the brakes on the OP's car. Ducted air into real spindle ducts is required for any brake set up. Heat is the enemy. Chargers are easy as you can put the intake duct where the splash shield lives in front of the tire.

Attached picture 7614532-trackprep2012011.jpg

Re: Track Day - 03/05/13 09:16 PM

spindle ducts, this really works...

Attached picture 7614534-trackprep2021.jpg
Posted By: edco440

Re: Track Day - 03/05/13 09:38 PM

Quote:

Yes, BOTH sides.

One rod on the left side of the engine, and one rod on the right side of the engine, AT THE SAME TIME.

Have someone in the driver's seat. Engine running, in gear, parking brake on, his foot HARD on the brakes.

Stand beside the right fender and watch the motormount rubber.
!
Have the 'driver' punch the throttle.

The rubber will compress and you can see it, expecialy when you have a rod on the left side as the left won't come up hardly, therefore the right HAS to go down and compress the rubber as the engine WILL torque over.

Thank You,, AMXAUTO Nice brake cooling set-up Tom,, Mitch L. sent me some pics of the Fabbed alloy ones,, very nice. pics on Mopax e-chat Chris Heineys site,,Thanks again Tom!
Posted By: mustardketchup

Re: Track Day - 03/06/13 12:43 AM

Great looking car, HUSTLESTUFF. The car has a great color combo and a great stance. Plus, you get it on the track!

Tom Quad, in particular, always preaches the virtues of extra brake cooling. While poking around on V8Miata.net, I came across a brake thread and some posters were also promoting that same philosophy.

The guy at V8Miata.net added a twist to this concept by using the electric air injection smog pump on his 2002 LS-1 Camaro to provide continuous airflow to the front brakes. This way, the brakes are being force-fed air if the car is moving slowly or even if it is stopped - and he claims it moves a "truckload" of air. His monetary outlay was less than $50; a few bucks more if you use "proper" brake hose ducting.

The poster's build-up of the system was originally posted on LS1Tech.com. Here's that link:
http://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/1572847-diy-brake-ducts-less-then-20-bucks.html

I'm also including the V8Miata.net link because a clear picture of the electric smog pump was provided in the post (for those of you who will scour salvage yards):
http://www.v8miata.net/suspension-drivetrain-12/what-brake-setup-you-running-791/

I hope this is helpful to you people who take your cars out to track events.

Lawrence Brady

Re: Track Day - 03/06/13 12:46 AM

Hot brakes are no fun...imagine running 45 minutes a session. I can't imagine running with out a thermostat. We put an external-in front of the core support ps cooler to help take heat out of the engine compartment.

How did you take care of the engine venting?

Here is how you sneak the mounts for the shoulder belts into a charger. Those are the correct eye bolts but what you don't see is the angle iron reinforcement that runs across the inside top of the package tray.

Check out the 3pt seat belt for the kid

Attached picture 7614845-june06-2010011lr.jpg
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Track Day - 03/06/13 12:55 AM

Quote:

I'm also including the V8Miata.net link because a clear picture of the electric smog pump was provided in the post (for those of you who will scour salvage yards):
http://www.v8miata.net/suspension-drivetrain-12/what-brake-setup-you-running-791/

I hope this is helpful to you people who take your cars out to track events.

Lawrence Brady

Nascar even has been running in-line brake duct blowers for a while now. We even run them on our short track car.

Like around $30 each: http://www.circletracksupply.com/brake-ducts-hose/
Posted By: RichV

Re: Track Day - 03/06/13 05:20 AM

Nascar even has been running in-line brake duct blowers for a while now. We even run them on our short track car.

Like around $30 each: http://www.circletracksupply.com/brake-ducts-hose/

Those look like marine engine blowers.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/sto...CFexaMgodc1QAmQ

Re: Track Day - 03/06/13 07:40 AM

Ordered up the Schumacher torque straps today. I vented the car w/ -8 fittings in valve covers and hose into frame rails. On my list is a breather tank. I have a 2 row power steering cooler up front.

I have some brake ducting stuff from when I made a spoiler that I didn't like so I may play with that. Hope to do track day next month.

I couldn't get the video to load had some audio problem and it said 1200 min to load. Slow internet out in the country. But big shop!!! Hopefully the instructor will email me the video he had.

Thanks for the nice comments on the car. Mike
Posted By: BergmanAutoCraft

Re: Track Day - 03/06/13 01:57 PM

Nice shot of the brake cooling Tom. How does that car do at the Glen with such small brakes? What brakes are you using on the Cuda?

Re: Track Day - 03/06/13 07:45 PM

I was looking under the car at how the passenger side torque strap would fit...I lost two of the three ARP motor mount bolts. I also lost two of three driver side collector bolts. Lots of stresses.
Posted By: BergmanAutoCraft

Re: Track Day - 03/06/13 08:34 PM

LOL! I lost a collector bolt once, it freaked me out! I use prevailing torque fasteners now!

Re: Track Day - 03/06/13 08:36 PM

I lost a car once, but I found it in the garage under the cover later.

Re: Track Day - 03/07/13 12:08 PM

Black n Blue Charger runs the glen very well and the alleged small brakes are not an issue...yet. The actual owner/driver is a very very good driver and pushes the beast nicely. Since ole black n blue was braking and running faster than an SRT8 Challenger I would say the brake package is good.......

I have learned that no matter what braking set up you have all need ducted air to run hot laps. Bigger is not better without air. Sure bigger brakes will shave a few seconds off the lap times but at what cost and what tires and rims will be needed for the extra manliness. It's all about a balanced package.

Large rotors, wilwood calipers, the proper pads, rear wheel ford style disks from Dr Diff. Air on all 4.
© 2024 Moparts Forums