Moparts

Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection?

Posted By: ntstlgl1970

Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 03/03/13 06:01 AM

For those of you that have run track events (any road race type track-not just willow springs), what is the tech inspection procedure for this type of track? I don't want to make the long drive (5+ hours) there to discover I missed something small on my car and I'm not allowed on the track. Helmets? Open ended lugnuts? I've only run at drag races and a couple of autocrosses many years ago so what has been your experience??
Posted By: SCATPK

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 03/03/13 06:48 AM

I took my car out to willow last year and there was no inspection of my vehicle. They do require a helmet but that was it as far as anbody seemed to be concerned. Had to have belts and unlike the drag strip keep your windows rolled down. I am sure Steve will see this post and give you a bit more info as he runs that track quite a bit. As said I did it last year and well worth the money to run as long as you want all day long. Make sure your brakes and tires are up to snuff, or your day will be cut short.

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 03/03/13 07:58 AM

Thanks for the info, since it isn't on the flyer, what did they charge for the track day? I guess I'll just run through all the common stuff, wheel bearings, brake fluid, tires, alignment, tighten all the nuts and bolts. I'm looking forward to doing this
Posted By: SCATPK

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 03/03/13 09:07 AM

It was something like $375.00 for the day with a 1 hour class with intructor prior to hitting the track. They will take you out on the track afterward in one of there cars to explain the track to you and where to look for the apexes for the turns. They will move pretty good around that track and you will get a good taste of hitting the corners hard. After that they pretty much set you loose on the track with the hope you use good sence and dont get yourself into trouble. I could have ran all day, but driving balls out takes it toll on you. You will definitly find the limits of your car and its/your shortcomings. Bring a go pro camara and tape yourself going around the track, its a great way to remember the day. I only did it once but felt it was worth every penny. Not to often that you are able to take a car out on a real track, and do whatever you want with no pressure. Very laid back and worth every penny. The drag strip is great, but a road course is a whole different animal with the amount of time on the track and turns.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 03/03/13 09:15 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the info, since it isn't on the flyer, what did they charge for the track day? I guess I'll just run through all the common stuff, wheel bearings, brake fluid, tires, alignment, tighten all the nuts and bolts. I'm looking forward to doing this

Contact Tim Herren at therren_2000@yahoo.com . He organizes the Spring Fling Speed Festival.

-Battery must be held down securely
-Radiator overflow bottle to catch/keep coolant off the track
-Remove driver side floor mat
-Remove any loose clutter from interior and trunk
-Convertibles must have roll bar.

Good idea to bring a filled air tank to increase tire pressures. There is air at track but sometimes not open early in morning.

There is 91, 100 and 110 octane gas available at track self serve with credit/debit card.

Spring Fling Speed Festival Willow Springs Raceway Rosamond, California. "Big Willow" track.

Schedule:
7:00 am Drivers meeting
8:00 am Course open to the first group
8:00 am New Driver instruction class and ride along instruction
12:00 pm Free cruise laps for spectators
5:00 pm Track Closed
6:30 pm Dinner

Info in Willow Springs at: http://www.willowspringsraceway.com

Attached picture 7610978-SFSF12Sm01.JPG

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 03/03/13 09:23 AM

Moparts member:

Attached picture 7610982-SFSF12Sm07.JPG

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 03/03/13 09:27 AM

Another Moparts member:

Attached picture 7610983-SFSF12Sm10.JPG

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 03/03/13 09:28 AM

And another Moparts member:

Attached picture 7610985-SFSF12Sm13.JPG

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 03/03/13 09:34 AM

Giving passengers rides during the slow speed 60 mph lunchtime parade laps. The red Road Runner might be a Moparts member. Car was shipped from Nova Scotia and that is Sandy Colter in the orange shirt.

Attached picture 7610988-SFSF12Sm69.JPG

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 03/03/13 09:38 AM

Looooong straight-away!

Attached picture 7610992-SFSF12Sm88.JPG
Posted By: Dan@Hotchkis

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 03/03/13 02:43 PM

Hey Guys, Working on getting permission to do this with the Challenger this year. Stay tuned!
Posted By: dangina

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 03/03/13 03:53 PM

Quote:

Looooong straight-away!

curious what speeds do you hit on this straight?!

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 03/03/13 05:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Looooong straight-away!

curious what speeds do you hit on this straight?!

I looked down and saw about 5600 rpm. I don't have a tell tale tach. At the end of the straight you have to hit your braking mark and clamp down the brakes big time. Not much time nor concentration left to look at study it.

I'm sure when my instructor drive it he got another 200-300 more rpm easily out of it (5800-5900).

That calcs out to 5600 = 122 mph. 5900 = 128 mph with 96% torque converter efficiency, 245//50/15, 3.23 gears. http://vexer.com/automotive-tools/speed-rpm-calculator

This is what is at the end of that straight away!:

Braking into turn 1:

Attached picture 7611351-CopyofGuisto-5.jpg

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 03/03/13 06:23 PM

We have class room insruction that is mandatory for all new drivers or even fairly new drivers. And should be a refeshers to occasional drivers.

Then we have ride-a-longs with instructors on the track to hands on explain and point out track features, braking points, do's and don'ts, etc.

And we offer driving instructors to ride along with drivers (any novice or not) and/or drive thier cars to give instruction. Only passengers allowed are instructors.

There are no passengers allowed at Spring Fling Speed Festival. But during the lunch time parade laps, you are allow passengers. Parade laps are limited to 60 mph. And spectators' cars are allowed to drive parade laps for free.

Attached picture 7611415-SFSF11SteveWSm06.JPG
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 03/05/13 02:35 PM

This was one of my favorite all time events! It's a great gathering of Mopar fans who really drive and enjoy their cars. There was plenty of excitement for both drivers and spectators, and that noise, that glorious noise from Chrysler products being rung out on the straightaways! They just turn you loose with your nerve being the only thing that holds you back. Well, that and physics.

The sound of Herb's stroker Hemi screaming, Steve Autoxcuda's high winding stroker small block roaring, and the specticle of a modern muscled, daily drive, 6.1 Hemi powered Challenger that spanked a race prepared Carrera. It was simply awesome. I highly recommend it.
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 03/05/13 10:17 PM

The rarity and value of such events should be on most our WANTS list to attend with our Mopars... and maybe a few similar other events can be arranged elsewhere in North America (or the world).

Attached picture 7614632-JolietAutobahnOct72012-Mitch'sTA,Sandberg'AAR,Andrew'sChall.jpg

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 03/05/13 10:47 PM

Here's a video from an old Spring Fling Speed Festival:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6NndwRikAA

This Daytona clone with no interior, race tires, good brakes, built 440, etc, etc... boogies down the track! Comes out every year.

We've had lots of other wing cars out on the track too. One was an actual Winston Cup Hemi Daytona that raced in 1969-70!!

Attached picture 7614662-SFSF12Sm63.JPG

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 03/06/13 12:44 AM

HUGE NEWS !!!

Bob Tarozzi, race engineer at Chrysler in the 60's that did work on Chrysler Nascar effort, some 1966 Trans Am, designed the Super Stock Hemi A-bodies, designed Super Stock AMX's, then to Dan Gurney and the 1970 Trans Am effort, then Keith Black, Shadow Can Am small block Mopar, and on and on...

Is the scheduled guest of honor at the Spring Fling Speed Festival 2013. And he will be racing the track too.

And yes, this is his personal 1970 AAR's Trans Am team member uniform/shirt.

Attached picture 7614841-SFSF08Pics074.JPG
Posted By: boydsdodge

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 03/08/13 05:57 AM

Can't wait, getting excited to head out to Spring Fling again.
Flying out from Toronto with a couple of friends.
Steve, do you know how the turn out is looking this year?

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 03/08/13 07:59 AM

Quote:

Not sure. Tim Herren would have an idea.

Hopefully ntstlgl1970 will join us this year with his awesome Cuda???
Posted By: 71autoxr

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 03/09/13 05:58 AM

Quote:

Ill be there again, i think ive only missed one year. My brother is dragging his non-mopar 65 mustang, but at least we'll get track time. It truly is my favorite time of the year and i only wish i had the motor in the challenger. If it is your first time on track my advice is to pace yourself. The first year i was so anxious and excited that by lunch time i was exhausted from running. The afternoon sessions are usually VERY light with few cars on track. Have a great time and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 03/09/13 11:26 AM

I think this will be on next years bucket list...
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 03/21/13 01:51 PM

I would love to attend this. Only problem is my car has failed on me 2 years in a row right into the trip to spring fling! . I really want to attend this event and enter my yellow turd of a barracuda for some fun. Gonna see what I can do in the next 6 weeks to get it ready in time. Really want to try this, much more fun that driving the congested freeways around here.
Posted By: mopardude318

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 03/21/13 05:46 PM

Quote:

I would love to attend this. Only problem is my car has failed on me 2 years in a row right into the trip to spring fling! . I really want to attend this event and enter my yellow turd of a barracuda for some fun. Gonna see what I can do in the next 6 weeks to get it ready in time. Really want to try this, much more fun that driving the congested freeways around here.

Hey Mig, if ya need an extra hand with something on your car, hand ya tools, hold up a tranny, fab fuel lines, or whatever else, let me know. I'm only a phone call away. Id' like to see your car out there. I'd drive my cuda out there, but 6 hours one way in that thing is alotta gas money!

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 03/22/13 09:25 PM

I don't know how "awesome" my car is, but I plan on being there....
I'm working on replacing my old tires with some better ones that aren't 10 years old.

Attached picture 7636227-frontsample.jpg
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 03/25/13 12:55 AM

Thanks for the offer to help out on my car. 440 just isn't running at all for a long trip, thinking of swapping in that 360 crate motor and running that. Wondering if the new TTI shorty headers will work with that and some dart ratio arm.

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 03/25/13 02:37 AM

Quote:

...thinking of swapping in that 360 crate motor and running that. Wondering if the new TTI shorty headers will work with that and some dart ratio arm.

TTI shorties will work with Firm Feel long fast ratio arms. Big and small block.

I have a bunch of pictures I took of the small block versions. I'll post later in that thread.

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 04/29/13 06:19 PM

Only two weeks away...

Thursday – May 9, 2013

Spring Fling Speed Festival Willow Springs Raceway Rosamond, California

7:00 am Drivers meeting

8:00 am Course open to the first group

8:00 am New Driver instruction class and ride along instruction

12:00 pm Free cruise laps for spectators $10 per person to spectate

5:00 pm Track Closed

6:30 pm Dinner

Attached picture 7686963-CopyofJimLuskLg4.JPG

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 04/30/13 10:43 AM

I'm shooting for this next year...
Posted By: 72440CUDA

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 05/03/13 04:16 PM

I'll be there for the parade laps, first time out. I just ordered new wheels and tires and I don't think I'll get them in time. So I'm stuck with my 12 year old BFG T/A's and I wouldn't feel safe out there

Next year if I get my brakes upgraded, I'm definately in it for all day

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 05/03/13 04:42 PM

Quote:

I'll be there for the parade laps, first time out. I just ordered new wheels and tires and I don't think I'll get them in time. So I'm stuck with my 12 year old BFG T/A's and I wouldn't feel safe out there

Next year if I get my brakes upgraded, I'm definately in it for all day

Don't sweat it to start with.

I'll be running on my 13 year old BFG's and stock type disks and drum rear. You gotta jump on the learning curve sometime.

Herb's 68 black Hemi GTX had 11" willwood smaller type drag brakes. He ran all day. We pick the larger track at Willow Springs becasuse it's not a demanding on brakes as the smaller track or Buttonwillow.

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 05/03/13 07:31 PM

Regarding the age and reliability of those old BFG tires (T/A Radials?), I've beed driving on mine for the past 4-5 years on the street and some local hi-speed road course lapping events. Size 245-60-15 front, 275-60-15 rear... bought them ~1990 and basically they sat in my garage unused until about 2009 (I got real serious and began trailering the car full-time on autocross race rubber)... currently remounted onto 15x8 vintage minilite rims (were originally mounted on 15x7 rally rims). I know they're old and have hardened some, but actually they drive locally a-ok, fine on the highway, and ok on the road course events (avrg speed bewteen 70-80, hitting 110 max on some straights.. I drive it easy on those road courses as its just for social fun... bump the tires up to ~36 front, 34 rear psi.. could go a little more. So, I've now got about 2500 miles on my ~22 year old new tires. I plan to replace them with 255-60-15 fronts and again 275-60-15 rears BFG Radial T/As... they are an ok tire just for cruising and give semi-reasonable performance. For pylon autocross competition events, I run Hossier A6 275-45-16 DOT race radials on my 16x10 road race Centerline forged aluminum lightweight rims.. and I see some of the serious hi-speed road course "competition solo" cars running the Hossier A6 tires also.. they are very sticky when hot! I intend (dreaming again) to eventually get some 17 or 18 rims (9 min, maybe 10-11 widths) with hi-speed soft compound tires (~100-200 tread wear) and use them more safely and with higher confidence on the hi-speed road courses... and likely drive to/from those specific events on those same tires. All it takes is $$. Those 12 yrold BFGs of your's will get you to/from the event and.. just don't push it real hard.. and increase the psi about 5 pounds (maybe a little more) than what you normally drive on them.. just for the road course event.

Attached picture 7692700-DSC08398.jpg

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 05/03/13 08:39 PM

Quote:

.... Those 12 yrold BFGs of your's will get you to/from the event and.. just don't push it real hard.. and increase the psi about 5 pounds (maybe a little more) than what you normally drive on them.. just for the road course event.

I bump up pressures at the track. Of course with heat in them the pressure will rise too.

I've pushed my 12 year old BFG hard for the last 7 Speed Festival events:

http://youtu.be/vTT--mGlpTY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLOrFexa6Fk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je5oeamQ_uw

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 05/04/13 05:34 PM

Those videos are so cooll! How did you mount the camera so it didn't fall off???? Did you use a GoPro camera?

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 05/04/13 05:38 PM

Quote:

Those videos are so cooll! How did you mount the camera so it didn't fall off???? Did you use a GoPro camera?

It's a RealXD camera. Not the HD version.

Camera is mounted with duct tape. The one looking at the front suspension is duct taped to lower valence. Thats why you hear the rattling.

The video when I spinout is the camera duct taped around the door handle. The one looking down the drivers side of the car is duct taped to the rear bumper corner edge.

IMHO, the image stabilization does a darn good job!
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 05/05/13 02:48 PM

I attended for the first time last year in my slant six powered 1968 Barracuda convertible. I have the suspension upgraded with stiffer springs, a pair of swaybars and some Koni shocks. I also have some older BFG Radial TA's.

This year the car has more power with the EFI 5.9 Magnum/727 & 3.23 Suregrip swap I did over the winter. I can already tell the car has a bit more oversteer due to the added weight (+-75lbs) in the front end, so it will be even more exciting. More power and suregrip on a road course, dang I love Mopars!

Willow Springs is a big track. Last year, towards the middle of the day with the /6 & 2.93 rear end gears, I was able to build up to 98 mph entering the back sweeper. It was exciting, I progressed at my own pace and I definitely benefitted from the new driver meeting at the beginning of the day.

There were several guys who literally melted their tires down to the cords, because they pushed their cars so hard. My old TA's did get some wear that day, but it was minimal. I still have them on the car for this year.

My point is that you have all day to get comfortable with your car and the track. The key is to start off slow, build up as you gain experience throughout the day and leave yourself a comfortable but exciting margin of safety.

It was one of the funnest things I've done all year, and I can hardly wait until this Thursday.

Attached picture 7694489-photo(Large).JPG
Posted By: 72440CUDA

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 05/10/13 05:04 AM

Bah, my tow vehicle lost two tires on the way out... Didn't get there until about 3:30, coming from Vegas. I missed out. Walked around with my wife and 3yr old daughter for a few minutes then left for Van Nuys.
Lesson learned, leave the day before and spend the night.

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 05/10/13 09:31 AM

Quote:

Bah, my tow vehicle lost two tires on the way out... Didn't get there until about 3:30, coming from Vegas. I missed out. Walked around with my wife and 3yr old daughter for a few minutes then left for Van Nuys.
Lesson learned, leave the day before and spend the night.

Things were winding down. I was there. Bummer would loved to have hooked up. Probably could have got you in on a ride along. Bummer. I was looking for a yellow cuda.

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 05/11/13 08:14 AM

Some Pictures

Attached picture 7701274-SFSF13Sm02.JPG

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 05/11/13 08:17 AM

A little bit of everything

Attached picture 7701275-SFSF13Sm07.JPG

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 05/11/13 08:48 AM

Guys having a little fun...

Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 05/11/13 08:49 AM

Steve did you get some new tires?

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 05/11/13 08:54 AM

Quote:

Steve did you get some new tires?

No.

Still had boat-loads of fun. New challenger SRT-8 manual, full Hotchkis, air box could not pull on me in the straights.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 05/11/13 05:25 PM

Looked like in the one pic of your car your rear tires looked wider.

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 05/12/13 03:53 AM

Quote:

Looked like in the one pic of your car your rear tires looked wider.

They are 15x9 rims. So the dish gives them a real wide appearance.
Posted By: Ontos

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 05/12/13 05:59 PM

I hear he's gonna need new brakes pretty soon LOL! Running a wee bit on the warm side....

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 05/14/13 04:33 AM

Quote:

I hear he's gonna need new brakes pretty soon LOL! Running a wee bit on the warm side....

My laser heat gun went off the deep end for a while. When it came back to reality, the brakes were ~250 degrees at rotor, pad, caliper.

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 05/14/13 04:38 AM

71Autoxr (Rick Guisto) doesn't post here much.

So, these are some of his pictures he posted on Facebook....

Quote:

Bob Tarozzi throwing the Daytona around Willow Springs:

Would you let this guy check your front brakes?

Trifecta!!

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 05/14/13 05:47 AM

Videos of Spring Fling Speed Festival 2013:

http://youtu.be/5kRH-gIIxA4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjJkg8xtVrQ

http://youtu.be/e0x-qcKrmMs

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 05/14/13 10:05 PM

I'm so bummed I missed this. It was good meeting a few of you guys at the show. I'll be ready next year. We planned to come down Wednesday night, spend the night at a hotel by the track and be there first thing. Murphy had other ideas. I was laying in my driveway welding on the car when it started raining Tuesday night. Rain? what the?? Anyway, with everything that happened we ended up not getting into Van Nuys until Friday night. Is there a track day for Fall Fling??

Attached picture 7705859-rain.jpg
Posted By: 71autoxr

Re: Spring Fling/Willow Springs Open track tech inspection? - 05/15/13 05:26 AM

Quote:

71Autoxr (Rick Guisto) doesn't post here much.

So, these are some of his pictures he posted on Facebook....

...because im too busy working on my stuff to post!!!!!!

Ive said it before, the 4 days of spring fling are my favorite time of the whole year, great cars, great friends, great weather, and great memories. World class event.
© 2024 Moparts Forums