Moparts

71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D (UPDATE 22 Jan 2013)

Posted By: Dan@Hotchkis

71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D (UPDATE 22 Jan 2013) - 12/20/12 01:54 PM

Hey folks, I know we get asked about it a lot, so I figured I'd post some pics of the 71 Charger we have in the shop so we can get the 71-72 B-Body folks taken care of. The car is pretty sweet, restored original interior, with a big nasty 500cid RB sitting between the fenders, twisting on a TKO 600. The car has a couple drive-ability issues the owner would like us to sort, but the measurements have been made and I'm hoping to have some stuff done before the new year!

Posted By: dangina

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/20/12 03:45 PM

Sweet ride! Still waiting for your 1.5" sway bar results!
Posted By: mopardamo

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/20/12 04:49 PM

That looks like a nice ride. Thanks for helping us Mopar guys out.

Damon
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/20/12 06:16 PM

Quote:

Lucky that charger fit that sway bar in there. That k member is smashed, colapasing the cavity to pass the sway bar through.

Needs to dump that drag oil pan. Ride height must be set 4x4 to keep it from scraping.

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/20/12 07:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Lucky that charger fit that sway bar in there. That k member is smashed, colapasing the cavity to pass the sway bar through.

Needs to dump that drag oil pan. Ride height must be set 4x4 to keep it from scraping.

Relax Steve, we are on it!

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/20/12 08:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How about some pictures of that '62 Dart in the background. One of the lightest B-bodies made. Post car?
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/20/12 11:53 PM

cooolll pics... I wonder how difficult it was to get the 1.5" sway bar inside and through the bent k-frame... I have a solid 1.25 front sway bar and, only for weight-savings, I'm considering the hollow 1.25, or a ~1.375" or ~1.5" hollow bars... but my own k-frame has a similar bent area in the k-frame.... Challenger.

Attached picture 7512031-ChallengerTA-MoparMitch.jpg

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/21/12 01:41 AM

Quote:

How about some pictures of that '62 Dart in the background. One of the lightest B-bodies made. Post car?

Its a 4-Door sedan we used for the Early B R&D. It has a full Hotchkis TVS and gets shop hand-me-downs. Weighed in at 3240.

Quote:

cooolll pics... I wonder how difficult it was to get the 1.5" sway bar inside and through the bent k-frame... I have a solid 1.25 front sway bar and, only for weight-savings, I'm considering the hollow 1.25, or a ~1.375" or ~1.5" hollow bars... but my own k-frame has a similar bent area in the k-frame.... Challenger.

Just to be clear, the 71 Charger has NO HOTCHKIS parts on it yet. It currently has a hodge-podge of PST, Magnum Force and Firm Feel stuff. It works terribly together. This type of car is the perfect example why the Hotchkis TVS is the way to go. We've done all the math and all the science. You can bolt on our selected, quality tuned parts off the shelf and be the one of the fastest Mopars in the country!
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/21/12 04:30 AM

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/21/12 06:20 PM

So... the sway bar shown in the picture going through the k-frame is NOT a 1.5" Hotchkis bar?

(PS: I already am one of the fastest Mopars in the country... always looking for that extra nth degree of possible performance improvement.)

Attached picture 7512945-ChallengerTA-MoparMitch.jpg
Posted By: OLD318

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/21/12 07:03 PM

How is a 71 B-body any different than the 70 B Body other than
the sheet metal? They both use the same suspension parts don't they?

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/21/12 07:29 PM

Quote:

(PS: I already am one of the fastest Mopars in the country... always looking for that extra nth degree of possible performance improvement.)

Is it correct you are the highest placing Mopar RWD in the history of the SCCA Nationals autocross E-street prepared class?

I believe John Sanburg's AAR Cuda in C-prepared is the only 66-76 Mopar to win an SCCA National Championship. I think that might be in ANY class or form of SCCA racing including Trans Am, A-Sedan, or whatever.

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/21/12 07:38 PM

Quote:

How is a 71 B-body any different than the 70 B Body other than
the sheet metal? They both use the same suspension parts don't they?

Different wheelbase and floorboards (subframe connectors), different width rear end and frame rail (rear sway bar), and possibly different weight balence (rear springs). Are what come off the top of my head.

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/21/12 09:32 PM

Quote:

So... the sway bar shown in the picture going through the k-frame is NOT a 1.5" Hotchkis bar?

Correct

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/21/12 10:56 PM

T/Anks Dan!

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/21/12 11:02 PM

Steve.. AutoxCuda... T/Anks for the notoriety... your recognition of the SCCA class E/SP for me is true... wish I could have more MOPAR competition at such events.

John Sandberg's AAR notoriety is alo true.

I believe an early A-body Dart won the first SCCA TRANS AM Serie Championship, if I'm correct, back around 1966?
Posted By: IndyDave

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/21/12 11:21 PM

Working on it Mitch........
Posted By: cudazappa

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/22/12 04:20 AM

Wow a GY3 from Pennsylvania!! I'm sure they're gonna love it when its done!
Posted By: CUDAJAS

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/22/12 04:59 AM

wow...cool R&D car for sure.

ANy info on the wheels...they look cool. Will they stay on the car???

Jason

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/22/12 05:21 AM

Quote:

wow...cool R&D car for sure.

ANy info on the wheels...they look cool. Will they stay on the car???

Jason

They are made by NewGen Wheels, and they will be staying on the car.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/22/12 07:16 AM

nth Degree was bought out by AEV from Montana...

Posted By: PHJ426

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/22/12 10:17 PM

Are you going with the road race Milodon pan for that Charger?

How about one of them cool Borgeson steering boxes as well?

Looking forward to some of them 71 - 72 Parts you are working on for my 72 Roadrunner. What kind of rear gear is in that Charger with that 500CI torque monster?

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/23/12 05:39 AM

Quote:

Are you going with the road race Milodon pan for that Charger?

How about one of them cool Borgeson steering boxes as well?

Looking forward to some of them 71 - 72 Parts you are working on for my 72 Roadrunner. What kind of rear gear is in that Charger with that 500CI torque monster?

The owner asked that we swap his oil pan for the Milodon Road Race pan. He did not ask for us to swap the steering box, and because of the need to cut the factory steering shaft we most likely won't carry that box. I am unsure of the rear gear ratio.

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/24/12 02:12 AM

Check out how Rick Ehernberg and Mopar Action installed the borgeson box into a 69 GTX in the latest mag.

Looks like they didnt have to cut the column doing it the way they did and the pot coupling stays in place.
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/24/12 02:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Or that 68

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/24/12 02:56 AM

Quote:

Or that 68

That is "Sally" a customer's car from DTM Racing. It's on its third round of modifications this time, a 5.2L Magnum in place of the 440 it had.

http://www.protouringmopar.com/showthrea...highlight=sally

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/events/...s/photo_09.html

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/26/12 02:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Or that 68

That is "Sally" a customer's car from DTM Racing. It's on its third round of modifications this time, a 5.2L Magnum in place of the 440 it had.

http://www.protouringmopar.com/showthrea...highlight=sally

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/events/...s/photo_09.html

Curious how it handled with that big block

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/26/12 02:57 AM

Not terrible, but definitely not good. It was all iron. Biggest problem was massive understeer and very easy to over drive, which was a problem since the owner is a novice driver.

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/26/12 03:22 AM

Quote:

Not terrible, but definitely not good. It was all iron. Biggest problem was massive understeer and very easy to over drive, which was a problem since the owner is a novice driver.

Handle better with a 360 or 340
Posted By: gregn96cuda

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/26/12 05:06 AM

Should have used a '71 2 door Plymouth instead of that Dodge... the wheel wells are bigger on a Satellite. Better body for a little larger wheel, and tire combo.
Posted By: 1964superstock

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/26/12 06:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Its a 4-Door sedan we used for the Early B R&D. It has a full Hotchkis TVS and gets shop hand-me-downs. Weighed in at 3240.

Dan, how is the Hotchkis TVS package coming for early 1962-1965 B-Body Dodge and Plymouth? ETA on availability? Ready for MATS 2013?

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/26/12 02:42 PM

Quote:

That's the plan. She has a rebuilt 5.2L Magnum with a 4 speed O/D nestled in between her fenders now.

Quote:

Should have used a '71 2 door Plymouth instead of that Dodge... the wheel wells are bigger on a Satellite. Better body for a little larger wheel, and tire combo.

We will tell the owner some guy on the internet says he bought and built the wrong car. I'm sure he won't care.

Quote:

Dan, how is the Hotchkis TVS package coming for early 1962-1965 B-Body Dodge and Plymouth? ETA on availability? Ready for MATS 2013?

It's done, just need more cars to test fit on. The 62 is a really funky platform, and I'm pretty confident that they changed it up again in 63. If you know anyone who would like to submit their car for R&D, let me know. If its a car we haven't done before, I can work out a screaming deal.

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/28/12 01:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That's the plan. She has a rebuilt 5.2L Magnum with a 4 speed O/D nestled in between her fenders now.

Quote:

We will tell the owner some guy on the internet says he bought and built the wrong car. I'm sure he won't care.

Quote:

It's done, just need more cars to test fit on. The 62 is a really funky platform, and I'm pretty confident that they changed it up again in 63. If you know anyone who would like to submit their car for R&D, let me know. If its a car we haven't done before, I can work out a screaming deal.

Too bad I'm up here in the cold NW or you could use my 71 RR as a test mule.
Posted By: gregn96cuda

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/28/12 05:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I thought this was some type of test car that the R/D department would supply the suspension parts free of charge for the use of the car. I guess I was wrong, just thought a car with bigger wheel wells would be a better choice for R&D. It wasn't an attempt to offend you, or the cars owner.
Posted By: Viol8r

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 12/29/12 12:02 AM

Don't apologize for expressing your opinion. The guy who built this car obviously does not care about how much money or time goes into it to make it right!! Shoot, according to Dan he is a novice driver, so a little less wheel well width won't make the slightest bit of difference.

Besides Dan can handle a little ribbing every once it a while.

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 01/03/13 02:41 PM

We've been slowly making some headwork through the holiday's and unfortunately came up on a pretty big road block on the R&D car. While we were taking measurements I came across this....

so some surgery is in order...

Gauging the metal...it's supposed to be 14ga.

and it's down to about 22ga where it isn't completely rusted through....

The piece removed...

Hoping to weld it up today, just waiting on the local steel house to finish up their year end inventory....
Posted By: amxautox

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 01/03/13 06:20 PM

Superglue whould take care of that.

Darn, hope all else is good.
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 01/03/13 06:24 PM

Quote:

Hoping to weld it up today, just waiting on the local steel house to finish up their year end inventory....

You could always try Schorr in Anaheim/Placentia...

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 01/03/13 11:49 PM

Ya mean that is something that has to be fixed?

D

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 01/04/13 12:08 AM

my frame needed the same spot fixed as well, i wonder what caused it

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 01/04/13 12:37 AM

Quote:

There is a piece of boxing that is put in by the factory. It blocks off the channel and is a great place for crap to build up and store moisture.

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 01/04/13 01:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

There is a piece of boxing that is put in by the factory. It blocks off the channel and is a great place for crap to build up and store moisture.

Wow. Good catch!

For reference/education, can you post a picture of that area a little farther back, so I can better tell where it is at? Also, do you have a photo of the frame with that section removed?

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 01/04/13 01:50 AM

Sure. I'll snap a picture tomorrow. It's pretty easy to find because of the spot weld divots in the frame.

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 01/04/13 03:16 AM

In that pattern and location i'd guess it is corrosion weakened metal coupled with frame flex. Ended up completely failing/fracturing thru at the small fissures that originally developed.

D

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 01/05/13 02:46 AM

Quote:

Sure. I'll snap a picture tomorrow. It's pretty easy to find because of the spot weld divots in the frame.

Thank you sir!

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 01/05/13 03:14 AM

Here is a pretty good picture of what is left of that "block". There was a lot of debris in the rail when I cut it open.

And the finished repair. With the varying thickness of metal to weld to, this was quite a project.

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 01/05/13 04:34 PM

same spot on my car just slightly more towards te front of the car - repair looks good
Posted By: CKessel

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 01/05/13 04:52 PM

See if you can get ahold of some of the body cavity wax/rust protection products to spray in through a hole and stop the rest from rusting out. These use a long wand that will get in and spray all over so it will all get coated. Look in Eastwood. But do it after the welding as it will contaminate the welding process.

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 01/05/13 10:55 PM

Interesting. A lot more layers of metal...a lot more going on...inside that rail than I knew of. Thanks for sharing this Dan. And congrats on a nice looking repair.

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 01/23/13 01:36 AM

Well, just finished up the Sub frame connectors, and they look great! The second set will be mailed out tomorrow so the jig can be built. waiting on production to give me another front sway bar and we will be in business.

Been waiting forever for some brake hardware and the new radiator, that finally came in today, so as soon as I get the brakes plumbed up tomorrow, we should be ready to drop the body back down on the engine and suspension!

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 01/23/13 04:34 AM

How about some pictures of those parts on the Charger?

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 01/23/13 02:51 PM

Quote:

How about some pictures of those parts on the Charger?

TOP SECRET!

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 01/23/13 05:25 PM

I thought you wanted to sell some parts?

Why the top secret or is there something Im not picking up since we are just typing and not face to face?

Or do you mean there will be no pictures until the product is released for consumers to purchase????

Please clarify.

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 01/23/13 09:44 PM

Once we have a final product to sell to customers or the boss gives me the okay to leak pictures, I can't leak images of R&D phase items.

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 01/24/13 04:02 AM

Fair enough....Ill be waiting to see what you guys have available when it hits the shelves.

Any idea when they might be stamped for approval?

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 01/24/13 05:53 AM

I was supposed to ship the prototypes to HQ to have the jiggs built today, however the car we got for R&D isn't very square. I'll be test fitting the prototypes on another 72 Charger within the week. After that they have to be shipped to HQ, jigg built and then the first run can be made. I'd say 30-45 days to be safe.

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 01/24/13 06:14 AM

How far off is the car from side to side?

Would that show up on a 4 wheel alignment rack as well?

Since you found out since your building subframe bars for the car and you seen a discrepancy in the two sides?

We found my car had 2 different length front spring hangars on a 4 wheel alignment. Got that fixed and all was good. This was when I first bought it. Spin the tires and then let off the throttle the back end would snap back to the right it felt weird that was for certain.

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 01/25/13 08:28 AM

can't wait till you get the 1.5" bars for these cars done!

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 03/13/13 05:05 AM

Any updated pics or progress of the 71 Charger?

Also any update on parts for the 1971 - 72 B bodies, what parts are being added to the catalog? I know subframe connectors for certain. When will these parts be available?

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 03/13/13 02:25 PM

Owner drove the car home from the shop a couple weeks ago. We will have the car at MATS and Good Guys Del Mar. Unfortunately the car was twisted enough that I will need another car to come to the shop for test fitting subframe connectors. We have 2 designs right now.
Posted By: 71TrakPak

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 03/24/13 04:24 AM

Dan,

Thanks for working on the parts development for the '71 B body. I can't wait to see your product offerings.....perhaps in time for Carlisle??
Posted By: mopork

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 03/28/13 12:12 AM

DAN

I want to be next, make the cop car turn on a dime and leave 9 cents change please

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 03/28/13 01:18 AM

Quote:

DAN

I want to be next, make the cop car turn on a dime and leave 9 cents change please

Sounds fun! Bring it over!
Posted By: amxautox

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 03/28/13 01:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

DAN

Flip it upside down, then turn it around on the bubblegum machine.
Posted By: mopork

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 03/28/13 02:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

DAN

Responding CODE 1
Posted By: JF_Moparts

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 03/29/13 04:12 AM

Quote:

Owner drove the car home from the shop a couple weeks ago. We will have the car at MATS and Good Guys Del Mar. Unfortunately the car was twisted enough that I will need another car to come to the shop for test fitting subframe connectors. We have 2 designs right now.

I'm in Los Angeles and I have a 1971 Satellite Sebring. If you want to do some measurements let me know.

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 03/30/13 03:16 AM

Measure that 71 Satellite up.....I have a 72 Runner that needs some connectors.........
Posted By: JF_Moparts

Re: 71 Charger at Hotchkis for R&D - 03/30/13 07:18 PM

I'm seriously considering going with the XV Level 2 system, but I'm paranoid about replacement parts and I won't go that way unless I KNOW what to look for in 15 years when I still have my car and XV is possibly history.

But the Hotchkis stuff has my eye because unlike XV, they're local to me and it looks like they have a shop where things can be done correctly the first time. I will not cut corners on my next suspension upgrade.
© 2024 Moparts Forums