Moparts

Wildwoods and OEM master cylinder??

Posted By: superbeeman69

Wildwoods and OEM master cylinder?? - 09/12/12 03:24 AM

I'm curious here....I want to run wilwoods dynalite front disc brake kit on my dart, PN 140-11023 but the kit doesn't come with the master cylinder. Seeing as I want my engine bay to look like a stock 68 Super stock car, can I use an original (the correct one for 68 SS cars) manual disc master cylinder with no problems? Or do i need a wilwood master? This may be a simple question but I want to double check. Chrysler PN on the master is 2823576. Thanks in advance! Evan
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Wildwoods and OEM master cylinder?? - 09/12/12 05:29 PM

You should be fine with a stock master, running a wilwood master is not required, what size calipers/#pistons are you running?

Re: Wildwoods and OEM master cylinder?? - 09/12/12 08:07 PM

They will be the wilwood 4 piston calipers that come with the kit. My dart is a /6 car so I assume I have 9inch spindles. Wilwood offers kits for 9 or 10 inch drum spindles...I can use mine right? No need to upgrade to 10in? I can't see any benefit to larger spindles..
Posted By: feets

Re: Wildwoods and OEM master cylinder?? - 09/12/12 08:23 PM

You need the size of the caliper pistons and the bore of the master cylinder.
If they match you're good.

Re: Wildwoods and OEM master cylinder?? - 09/13/12 03:58 AM

Quote:

You need the size of the caliper pistons and the bore of the master cylinder.
If they match you're good.

Wilwood lists the piston bore at 1.75. The master cylinder I want to use is Chrysler PN 2823576. I can't find the bore size of this master tho. Google says most manual disc brake mopar masters are 1.03 give or take on year, engine, etc. By my understanding, a master cylinder with 1.75 bore would be extremely hard to push. How close do they have to be exactly? I'll just run wilwoods adjustable master cylinder pushrod and proportioning valve. It's the appearance I'm after with this for my dart.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Wildwoods and OEM master cylinder?? - 09/13/12 11:06 AM

Why dont you call Wilwood? Im sure they have a tech line..

Re: Wildwoods and OEM master cylinder?? - 09/13/12 04:26 PM

They do. And I guess I will. I just figured someone here had been down this road before. After all it is a Q and A forum...
Posted By: feets

Re: Wildwoods and OEM master cylinder?? - 09/13/12 04:51 PM

Quote:

They do. And I guess I will. I just figured someone here had been down this road before. After all it is a Q and A forum...

Try looking at some of the other brake posts.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=4#Post7210853

Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Wildwoods and OEM master cylinder?? - 09/13/12 05:11 PM

Quote:

By my understanding, a master cylinder with 1.75 bore would be extremely hard to push.

He meant "match up" as in, they go together, not as in "they are the same size" a 1.75" bore master operating calipers with 1.75" bore cylinders will be impossible to create enough line pressure to stop the car.

like feets said, look at some of the other posts about brakes to learn about master bore sizes and caliper bore sizes.

I'm running viper calipers on all 4 corners with 42mm bore and a 38mm bore pistons. combined piston area is 3.90 square inches. my master cylinder is a 1 1/8" bore, or about .99 square inches.

I'm also running a power booster so pedal effort is about zero

However, in the thread about "how warm should discs be" I thought maybe I was lightly dragging a brake caliper(s) and in troubleshooting, disconnected the power booster.

pedal effort was noticeable, but not impossible. I could still stop the truck pretty easily. I would think that with a 1" master cylinder for manual brakes would be perfect for my combo.

anyway...find out how big the pistons are in the caliper you are going to be using.
© 2024 Moparts Forums