Moparts

which rear anti sway bar??

Posted By: abodyjoe

which rear anti sway bar?? - 05/16/12 03:54 PM

and why?

which rear bar do you think is better and why? now sure which to buy. both are adjustable. think i kinda like the hotchkis mount better. just now sure which to go with.

Hellwig 6907: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HEL-6907/?rtype=10

Hotchkis 22385R: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HSS-22385R/

its going into a 70 small block dart. front end is going to be an alter-k-tion with i forget what size bar it has. primary use will be spirited street use and maybe one day i'll get it to vineland and let the ole lady make some laps in it. . rear springs are going to be espo stock height 6 leaf.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: which rear anti sway bar?? - 05/16/12 05:13 PM

The Hotchkis you have to weld a plate. The Hellwig you drill a hole. You're call what you would like (and can) to do. I think both function well.

Hotchkis is hollow bar, Hellwig is solid and heavier.

Then make a decision on the price factor.

Re: which rear anti sway bar?? - 05/16/12 05:18 PM

welding isn't a problem.

kinda like the way the welded bracket mounts over the other. there is $60 between them. not a big deal. think one will work better then the other? or is there a better option out there that i don't know about?

Re: which rear anti sway bar?? - 05/16/12 05:50 PM

Quote:

welding isn't a problem.

kinda like the way the welded bracket mounts over the other. there is $60 between them. not a big deal. think one will work better then the other? or is there a better option out there that i don't know about?

I think both will function fine.

Another option is the Firm Feel one. It does not have adjustablity. But it is frame mounted. That may help, not help, or make no difference to your exhaust tailpipe clearance. Most of the time it doesn't make a difference with 2 1/2 or under stock routed pipe.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: which rear anti sway bar?? - 05/16/12 06:00 PM

Take a look at the Firm Feel bar. www.firmfeel.com

They can make it adjustable if that is what you want.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: which rear anti sway bar?? - 05/16/12 06:15 PM

Well Joe just an FYI on the Hellwig, its actually a 3/4" bar not 1". Summit just has it twisted. Im not even sure the Hotchkis is 1" but either way if I had to bet id bet on the Hellwig being lighter. And if you punch in that part # to Amazon you will save a bunch on that Hellwig. I found my Hellwig 6908, which is an Ebody rear bar but still works on an A body and is 7/8" instead of 3/4", for $140 shipped on Amazon. Oh another thing is the Hellwig end links mount to the inside of the frame rails so they work with my car having the springs moved in 3" per side.

Re: which rear anti sway bar?? - 05/16/12 06:39 PM

Quote:

...Im not even sure the Hotchkis is 1" but either way if I had to bet id bet on the Hellwig being lighter. ...

The Hellwig is solid and Hotchkis is hollow. I think they are both 3/4". The Hotchkis will be lighter.

This is a Hotchkis rear sway bar:

Attached picture 7208669-PICT0530.JPG

Re: which rear anti sway bar?? - 05/16/12 06:53 PM

i always forget about firmfeel.. i'll call him...

that bar won't interfere with tti tail pipes? don't really need adjustable, the car will probably never be pushed to its limits. the drivers will wuss out well before the car i'm sure. just thought it was an added bonus

Re: which rear anti sway bar?? - 05/16/12 06:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

...Im not even sure the Hotchkis is 1" but either way if I had to bet id bet on the Hellwig being lighter. ...

The Hellwig is solid and Hotchkis is hollow. I think they are both 3/4". The Hotchkis will be lighter.

yea i believe they are both 3/4". kinda like the way the hotchkis attaches to the frame over the hellwig. think i like how the firm feel mounts even better.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: which rear anti sway bar?? - 05/16/12 06:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Steve just weighed the E body Hellwig bar and its 9 lbs and feels like its solid to me.

Attached picture 7208691-049.JPG
Posted By: moparAL

Re: which rear anti sway bar?? - 05/16/12 07:10 PM

Take a look at the Firm Feel bar. www.firmfeel.com

They can make it adjustable if that is what you want.

Firm Feel makes nice products but when you talk about a adjustable swaybar, Firmfeel told my friend they can be adjustable by throwing in some softer end link bushings, Come on, YEA... ADJUSTABLE! Correct me if I am wrong. I did that with the factory rear bar 33 years ago when I bought my E body in 1979. Made no difference. When you say adjustable the HOTCHKIS and HELLWIG are TRUELY ADJUSTABLE. If you want to pedal the adjustable feature, do it the correct way, redesign the bar!
Posted By: ThermoQuad

Re: which rear anti sway bar?? - 05/17/12 11:35 AM

Dick Ross at Firm Feel is great source for technical advice, we just discussed adjusting the bars last week...

Ummmm yes the bars are adjustable...the type of end link material along with how hard the links are compressed makes a huge difference. The number of threads showing on the bolt are noted and adjustments made.

The car always goes out on the track with the bar loose to see how tail happy it is and then the links get adjusted to bring it in. Works every time....

Still want to argue about it????
Take your car to the track and let us know what you learned

Note the pass side header collector being pushed down because there was only one torque strap...

Attached picture 7209660-glen1.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums