Moparts

Front suspension on Ebay, what do you think?

Posted By: batt2rm

Front suspension on Ebay, what do you think? - 04/29/12 03:02 PM

I have been thinking about upgrading the front end of my 70 Barracuda. I was looking into other complete front ends but the cost is out of my budget. Does anyone have any experience with these front end aftermarket kits.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plymouth-Cuda-M2...r#ht_2751wt_804

Thanks
Ron
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Front suspension on Ebay, what do you think? - 04/29/12 03:47 PM

Never heard of them, but I sure wouldn't go that route even if I were looking at aftermarket suspension. That's a weld-in kit.

Unless they can provide information related to the geometry of the system and some real satisfied customers, run away FAST.

As for me and my cars, I will stick with modified Mopar suspension (stiffer t-bars, etc.) to make these cars handle.

Re: Front suspension on Ebay, what do you think? - 05/01/12 12:45 AM

Anyone else.
Posted By: dusterbd13

Re: Front suspension on Ebay, what do you think? - 05/01/12 01:22 AM

i wouldnt. for a few reasons.
1. ive never had any luck with hilux suspension parts.
2. this appears to be a knockoff of the streetrodder mustang 2 parts. it features a 7 gauge wed in crossmember, with coil spring pockets and tubular control arms. tire clearance appearss as if it will be an issue. and no motor mounts. not to mention your cudas front unibody framerails are nowhere near 7 gauge, which would make me question the integrity of the installation with welding the dissimlar material thicknesses.
3. mustang 2 suspensions are not exactly known for their ultiomate handling characteristics. usually thayre used as an upgrade from what was there, such as solid axles, twin i-beams, etc.
4. its actually heavier than what you have now.
5. this kind of kit, you will be having a TON more fab work than you bargain for, making for a more expensive setup in the long run once you factor in the steering linkage, headers, motor mounts, plumbing mods, and wheel offsets.

hope that helps. id really look into all your options before considering this. much rather see you go with some lower budget hardware that will get you what you want, versus spending money on parts you dont need and headaches you dont expect.

what ARE your goals, after all?

michael
Posted By: BDW

Re: Front suspension on Ebay, what do you think? - 05/01/12 01:41 AM

Brakes seem a little weak?

9 inch disc brake rotors
Posted By: ahy

Re: Front suspension on Ebay, what do you think? - 05/01/12 02:57 AM

With a moderate investment in what you have you can get a lot better result. The basic T bar setup is very capable.

1'st step is to assess current condition. If it needs a basic suspension rebuild (bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends ect.) do it. I'd suggest rubber bushings. Next is brakes. If you have discs you are good. If drums, upgrade to disks. The disc upgrade is possible with all used or reman or re-pop factory parts. See Mopar Action Disk-o-Tech. Another option is "scarebird". You can Google them. Next is shocks if they are tired. A good set of parts store gas shocks should be fine for a moderate build. Next step is a bigger sway bar. Finally the alignment. If your alignment guy can get some positive caster (say 2-3 degrees. up to 5 degrees is better) and some negative camber (say -.5 degree) you will feel a big difference. Factory toe settings are fine. With these mods I bet you will say "wow". More is possible but you can see a huge gain from the above without breaking the budget.

I'd add, there is wide variation in quality of suspension parts. I've had good results dealing with Firm Feel. There are other good ones... just be careful.
Posted By: finadk

Re: Front suspension on Ebay, what do you think? - 05/01/12 04:23 AM

It looks like a universal kit. I never understood the popularity of the mustang II based suspension kits, that car was never known for strength or stellar handling.
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Front suspension on Ebay, what do you think? - 05/01/12 05:23 AM

I wouldnt get one. IMHO, I'd save up enough coin and purchase a kit from a reputable vendor, if thats what your goal is. I just think it would be more of a PITA as far as fitment and the headaches
Posted By: curleysracecars

Re: Front suspension on Ebay, what do you think? - 05/01/12 05:42 AM

As mentioned, its a basic "generic" Mustang II type front clips. They make them for almost every car out there.
Posted By: Jjs72D

Re: Front suspension on Ebay, what do you think? - 05/01/12 07:38 AM

......AAAaaaand THpppppt! The OP doesn't get the answer that he wanted, then went away.
What? Are we just supposed to "rubber stamp" all ideas, good and bad?
Jeff

Re: Front suspension on Ebay, what do you think? - 05/01/12 01:11 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I will definitely stay away from that kit. My front suspension it stock and rebuilt with all rubber bushings. I guess I was just wondering if there was anything out there that would make a car handle more like a modern car. My 70 Cuda has a new 6.4 EFI hemi and a Tremec 5 speed in it. I kept the exterior close to stock and the interior stock except new gauges. This is driven on the street and may possible take a trip to the track.
Thanks again.
Posted By: rustbuckett68

Re: Front suspension on Ebay, what do you think? - 05/01/12 03:47 PM

'Rated for 3000 lbs' sound kinda light, which explains the 9" rotors. Good for fairground duty.
!
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Front suspension on Ebay, what do you think? - 05/01/12 04:06 PM

Quote:

I guess I was just wondering if there was anything out there that would make a car handle more like a modern car. My 70 Cuda has a new 6.4 EFI hemi and a Tremec 5 speed in it. I kept the exterior close to stock and the interior stock except new gauges. This is driven on the street and may possible take a trip to the track.
Thanks again.

First and biggest bang for the buck, ditch the stock alignment specs get a radial friendly setting. Radials will tolerate much more aggressive settings that will make a big impact on feel. Go for as much positive caster as possible, -.5 degrees camber and 1/16" inch, or the equivilent degrees of toe in.

After that then you can look at supporting the body better via add ons, upgrading shock control, then maybe better sway bars.
Posted By: vynn3

Re: Front suspension on Ebay, what do you think? - 05/01/12 09:06 PM

Quote:

I guess I was just wondering if there was anything out there that would make a car handle more like a modern car.

Sounds like you've got deep pockets. If so, there's always RMS:

http://www.reillymotorsports.com/

Everything I've ever heard about his products are positive.

vm
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Front suspension on Ebay, what do you think? - 05/01/12 09:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I guess I was just wondering if there was anything out there that would make a car handle more like a modern car.

vm

I'm guessing he doesn't which is why he was looking at that kit .
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Front suspension on Ebay, what do you think? - 05/02/12 01:02 AM

Read the article in the latest mopar action about " some " front end set ups like the one pictured. It's hard to beat what the factory came up with.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Front suspension on Ebay, what do you think? - 05/02/12 01:31 AM

Before I bought the Charger, I figured that if I ever bought and built a 68-70 Charger, I'd ditch the stock setup and install some kind of "front steer" coil type suspension. After i bought the 70, I looked at the factory setup much closer. I have to agree with Rick E. The factory stuff is a great design, and with a little help from the aftermarket, it can really perform well.

Re: Front suspension on Ebay, what do you think? - 05/02/12 01:36 AM

Quote:

Before I bought the Charger, I figured that if I ever bought and built a 68-70 Charger, I'd ditch the stock setup and install some kind of "front steer" coil type suspension. After i bought the 70, I looked at the factory setup much closer. I have to agree with Rick E. The factory stuff is a great design, and with a little help from the aftermarket, it can really perform well.

Some of us have known that for 35 years....
Posted By: Viol8r

Re: Front suspension on Ebay, what do you think? - 05/02/12 02:03 AM

Ask
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

vm

You went through all that trouble to put a 6.4 in and now you want a new front end? Interesting......
Posted By: moparx

Re: Front suspension on Ebay, what do you think? - 05/02/12 02:28 AM

i can offer my personal experiance with a helix kit. they are indeed a "universal" streetrod type of deal. last year, i had the "priviledge"[?] of "fixing" an install of one of those exact kits on a 53 chevy pickup. to start with, the original installer and his "expert fabrication" pal sure had strange ideas when it came to level out the existing chassis and square up everything before starting to hack away. the first thing i did was check out the installation instructions. they are VERY "generic" [even though this kit was SPECIALLY DESIGNED for this installation] and assume you are a fabber with some experiance under your belt as well as having some insight of how a suspension is supposed to operate. next, i releveled and squared up everything. after some serious examination, it was apparent that the crossmember and upper hats needed some serious trimming in order to fit the chassis, even tho this was a "custom designed kit for your application". after a pile of work, it was installed and i made sure there was not any issues as to the function of the unit. however, i had to re-do the rack mounts because there was a horrible amount of bumpsteer - almost 1" ! i got it down to just a little over .250" before giving up. as stated, the brakes are puney and the option i see as being the easiest, would be to change 'em out to granada size[around 11" i think they are], but i don't know what additional cost that would be. also, i discovered the included shocks were not the right length, but i don't remember what they were swapped for. the quality of the kit, in my opinion, is just barely adequate for the intended purpose of getting your car on it's feet. i was REAL GLAD to walk away from this project ! i give this kit 2 . just my opinion and my real world experiance. the op would be further ahead to upgrade his t-bars,shocks, brakes, and steering box. cheaper in the long run by far !
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Front suspension on Ebay, what do you think? - 05/02/12 05:51 AM

Quote:

Thanks for all the replies guys. I will definitely stay away from that kit. My front suspension it stock and rebuilt with all rubber bushings. I guess I was just wondering if there was anything out there that would make a car handle more like a modern car. My 70 Cuda has a new 6.4 EFI hemi and a Tremec 5 speed in it. I kept the exterior close to stock and the interior stock except new gauges. This is driven on the street and may possible take a trip to the track.
Thanks again.

No need to reinvent the wheel. Just upgrade the stock suspension as well as the wheels and tires. 13 inch brakes with 17 inch wheels and tires makes a big improvement. Add a little stiffer torsion bars, a healthy anti-sway bar and some good shocks and you're basically there.
Posted By: curleysracecars

Re: Front suspension on Ebay, what do you think? - 05/02/12 06:10 AM

Off topic I know...but I cant believe the difference in opinion on this forum versus others like FABO. Hopefully I dont get flamed for mentioning FABO?? LOL.
The torsion bars are a cool setup, and work well. Unfortunately, most people are more into coilovers because they think they are superior. Thumbs up for people here not jumping on the band wagon!
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: Front suspension on Ebay, what do you think? - 05/02/12 04:31 PM

Quote:

Off topic I know...but I cant believe the difference in opinion on this forum versus others like FABO. Hopefully I dont get flamed for mentioning FABO?? LOL.
The torsion bars are a cool setup, and work well. Unfortunately, most people are more into coilovers because they think they are superior. Thumbs up for people here not jumping on the band wagon!

don't know about that.. guys at FABO are pretty divided between stock and aftermarket suspensions also.

for me. after having a rack in my car since 2006. i don't think i could ever go back to a stock type of suspension.

to the OP question. on top of what all others already said it looks like you may also need a custom oil pan also. and what about headers? it would end up costing a lot more then what that ad says to get that into you car. if you want an aftermarket r&p suspension save your pennies and buy an alter-k-tion from RMS. you won't be sorry.
Posted By: vynn3

Re: Front suspension on Ebay, what do you think? - 05/02/12 08:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

vm

Guess it's all relative. To me, someone with a 6.4 hemi and a tremec has pretty deep pockets, and $3-4K on an alter-k would be par for the course.

Any one of those components is too rich for my blood.

vm
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Front suspension on Ebay, what do you think? - 05/03/12 04:23 AM

Quote:

Well good for YOU then.
I rarely "rubber stamp" everything that I see. I like to look at many things closely, THEN decide if there is room for improvement. If everyone just accepted things as they were, there would NEVER be any improvements. I decided to stick with Ma Mopars design after I learned more about it.

Re: Front suspension on Ebay, what do you think? - 05/03/12 06:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Well good for YOU then.
I rarely "rubber stamp" everything that I see. I like to look at many things closely, THEN decide if there is room for improvement. If everyone just accepted things as they were, there would NEVER be any improvements. I decided to stick with Ma Mopars design after I learned more about it.

All I'm saying is that some of us understood how good the Mopar front end was way back when. It wasn't all about straight line for my friends and me.
Posted By: brads70

Re: Front suspension on Ebay, what do you think? - 05/05/12 12:22 AM

I say stick with the stock design. When I first got my car I had planned to cut off the chassis at the firewall and build a clip for it. When I first saw the car and how rust free it was I just couldn't do it. I'm glad I didn't cut it off now! I love the challenge of making the stock design work better! It DOES work good when you add the right parts as some have previously mentioned!
Just my 2 cents...?
© 2024 Moparts Forums