Moparts

Steering coupler question

Posted By: moparcyco

Steering coupler question - 03/27/12 04:50 AM

Kinda new over here read through most of the posts goood info.My question for you guys is what do You use for your steering coupler with your upgraded boxes?The box in my challenger is shot and I can stand it no longer.So I shipped mine to firm feel today but forgot to ask Mr. Ross about the coupler.Is there an upgrade?Or is a properly rebuilt stocker ok?This is an ex drag car being built back to a driver that will have excellent handling.Thanks guys
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Steering coupler question - 03/27/12 06:05 AM

Flaming River has u-joints that replace the coupler. The u-joint saves a little space which can be handy around some headers.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Steering coupler question - 03/27/12 07:16 AM

Rick Ehrenberg from Mopar Action advises against the U joint coupling because it has no fore/aft slide action. This could result in broken steering column capsules and worn bearings. I've seen and read of people using them anyway with few problems. Rick is like anyone else though. He has his opinions based on what he believes.
There are rebuild kits for the factory couplers. Steer and Gear offers an alternative to the thin steel retainer that seals in the grease: Its a polyurethane boot that fits over the end of the coupler. They are P R I C E Y though..... $28 each! I called to order a few, thinking that they might be $10-$15 each. I only bought 2 !
Posted By: ahy

Re: Steering coupler question - 03/27/12 11:32 AM

I'm running the re-built stocker. Its nice and tight with new
"shoes".
Posted By: cogen80

Re: Steering coupler question - 03/27/12 01:32 PM

Quote:

advises against the U joint coupling because it has no fore/aft slide action.

were the stock joints used to provide "fore/aft slide action" ? or was it used to make up for the poor tolerances on the assembly line?
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Steering coupler question - 03/27/12 02:21 PM

Uni-bodies flex and parts move around. If you don't have reinforcements on the uni-body and the steering mount in particular, you're taking a chance putting a solid coupling in there.
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: Steering coupler question - 03/27/12 05:48 PM

Especially true with a C-body, or any other car with a removable fromt subframe or rubber-isolated K-member.
Posted By: cuda-sweden

Re: Steering coupler question - 03/27/12 06:51 PM

i used my oem with new internals.theres no slop,none
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Steering coupler question - 03/27/12 07:53 PM

Here is the one I bought. Came in a Mopar labeled sealed bag?? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-Coupler...#ht_2161wt_1163
Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: Steering coupler question - 03/28/12 04:18 AM

Do you have the Mopar part number off the bag your kit came in?
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Steering coupler question - 03/28/12 04:57 AM

1-04443436AC

Re: Steering coupler question - 03/28/12 05:14 AM

Cool looks like the stocker gets the nod here.I have a ton of slop in my steering.I've never had it apart since I have owned the car so I will rebuild the stock one,as the u joint style looks like way more work than I want to do.Thanks everyone
Posted By: IronWolf

Re: Steering coupler question - 03/28/12 04:56 PM

I bought my coupler rebuild kit from Ehrenberg. The "value-added" part of the deal was the detailed instruction sheet that came with the kit.

Believe it or not, it's easy to muck up the coupler installation, so I appreciated the extra help.
Posted By: @#$%&*!

Re: Steering coupler question - 03/31/12 02:45 AM

The factory coupler is a slip joint. Ask D.R. if he'll match the ebay coupler kit price along with the steering box rebuild.
Posted By: Rick_Ehrenberg

Re: Steering coupler question - 04/03/12 05:12 AM

Quote:

Uni-bodies flex and parts move around. If you don't have reinforcements on the uni-body and the steering mount in particular, you're taking a chance putting a solid coupling in there.

Absolutely correct. Not really dangerous, but once you snap the nylon breakaway pin, or trash the upper bearing, you've set yourself up for lots more work and parts-chasing.

Flaming River's setup works fine with their column (only), because it is a close-tolerance collapsible deal with no breakaway pin.

Rick
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Steering coupler question - 04/03/12 12:47 PM

Quote:

Cool looks like the stocker gets the nod here.I have a ton of slop in my steering.I've never had it apart since I have owned the car so I will rebuild the stock one,as the u joint style looks like way more work than I want to do.Thanks everyone

Check to make sure the shoe's are installed properly, if there 90 degrees out you will have lot's of slop. DAMHIK

Re: Steering coupler question - 04/04/12 06:02 AM

Thanks for the input, its at least 90 percent the box there could be some slop due to a worn coupler.That was the idea when I posted this.Must be a pretty good design from the factory if that what most guys over here are using,always looking for an upgrade,especially when its coming apart anyways.As always thanks to all my moparts friends
Posted By: Montclaire

Re: Steering coupler question - 04/26/12 08:12 PM

I really can't bring myself to waste any more time on another factory coupler. Is there any way to improve on the flaming river design? I do plan to use a sector support and frame ties.
Posted By: woody02

Re: Steering coupler question - 04/27/12 12:50 AM

hey killerbee...i have a chally as well with the same sloppy gearbox. what was the cost to send it out and rebuild?also is it being built to stock specs,or are they giving it a firmfeel upgrade? thanks
Posted By: flatiron

Re: Steering coupler question - 04/27/12 02:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Check to make sure the shoe's are installed properly, if there 90 degrees out you will have lot's of slop. DAMHIK

Got my stock coupling rebuild kit through Dorman or Napa for like 7 bucks at the local autoparts shop

Re: Steering coupler question - 04/27/12 04:28 AM

Quote:

Absolutely correct. Not really dangerous, but once you snap the nylon breakaway pin, or trash the upper bearing, you've set yourself up for lots more work and parts-chasing.

Flaming River's setup works fine with their column (only), because it is a close-tolerance collapsible deal with no breakaway pin.

Rick

Rick, there has to be cheap-o factory alternative out there. My coupler body was actually worn so no amount of rebuilding was going to save it. I don't care if it's a brand-x fix, I want something cheap that works. And that stupid crimp cap always sucked. I'm swapping from power to manual on a 64 b-body so I'm open to suggestions if you come up with something in varying lengths.

Re: Steering coupler question - 04/27/12 04:55 AM

Take a peek at a steering coupler for a 76 jeep cj. It does come in a 3/4, 36 spline version, which I believe is the same as many mopar manual boxes. It has a very similar design, giving the desired fore/aft movement, and you can get the whole coupler for $36 or better. I'm going to look into it more, if this works I want an article. Lol

Re: Steering coupler question - 04/28/12 04:27 AM

Quote:

hey killerbee...i have a chally as well with the same sloppy gearbox. what was the cost to send it out and rebuild?also is it being built to stock specs,or are they giving it a firmfeel upgrade? thanks

I went with a stage 2 box.Pricing is on there website I believe $329 shipping is probably what will get you though.Im pretty close to Washington so it was only $10 one way.
© 2024 Moparts Forums