Moparts

nice forum rebuild time?

Posted By: cudamank

nice forum rebuild time? - 01/17/12 09:29 AM

Thanks for the new forum.

Its time to rebuild the front on my 70 cuda again. Seems like it was yesterday, 20 years ago. Would like her to handle better but will never likely see track time. 440 auto 8/4. Are the tubler UCA overkill for street? which ones? I used poly everywhere but LCA and she handled great, way back when. What should I look to do different to improve her.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: nice forum rebuild time? - 01/17/12 06:06 PM

Need more info: sway bar sizes and brands, ball joint brands, what your wheel alignment is, etc.
Posted By: amxautox

Re: nice forum rebuild time? - 01/17/12 07:18 PM

If you aren't going to see any track time, save your money. No need for fancy stuff on the street. Just do a good and proper rebuild.
Posted By: cudamank

Re: nice forum rebuild time? - 01/17/12 09:13 PM

Quote:

Need more info: sway bar sizes and brands, ball joint brands, what your wheel alignment is, etc.

Right now the car is currently stock, or to say that when rebuilt 20 years ago, I used all Moog parts. It retains its factory front sway bar, and did not come with the rear sway bar. I do want to add a rear sway bar. It currently has new XHD rear leaf springs and adjustable drag shocks.
Posted By: Mattax

Re: nice forum rebuild time? - 01/19/12 01:09 AM

Quote:

If you aren't going to see any track time, save your money. No need for fancy stuff on the street. Just do a good and proper rebuild.

Exactly!
Very seriously. No loose joints or bearings and good alignment and you're set.

With adding a rear sway bar, that's going to increase the rear roll rate. Unless you measure the XHD spring rate, free hight and installed hieght, its an big unknown. So to be on the safe side, use a very soft rear sway bar and/or increase the front roll rate.

You can also make almost everything better by moving the battery to the trunk. There are downsides but not in terms of handling.

Then just some other basics. Change the brake fluid if its old, adjust the rear brakes, spend the money for tires intended for your primary goal(s).

edit:
Shocks are important. If you're going to continue taking it to the track, then keep them. If not, maybe look at some others especially if you're talking about 90/10 in the front now.
© 2024 Moparts Forums