Moparts

Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ?

Posted By: dOOc

Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/13/12 03:28 AM

....LOTS of diff requirements for a cornering-car VS a drag car. Wasssupy ?
Posted By: amxautox

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/13/12 03:31 AM

side sumps. sometimes a swiveling oil pickup.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/13/12 03:35 AM

A recent tech question in Mopar Action dealt with the need for an oil pan built for turning corners while maintaining adequate ground clearance for street use. Milidon to the rescue! Now that I am delving deeper into the handling aspects of these cars, I guess I'll need to upgrade this area as well. I'm going to need a second job or sell a car to afford all these upgrades!

Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/13/12 03:51 AM

This is the new small block pan I helped Milodon develop the fitment on. This basic sump design is a race proven setup used for the SCCA A/Stock racers and such with GM's.

Works great and has ultimate ground clearance. A lot of people are buying these for non handling reasons. They are just tired of beating up HP deep pans that stick below the K-member.

There are FIVE gate doors to this.

Attached picture 7015681-MilodonSBRoadRacePan17sm.jpg
Posted By: dOOc

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/13/12 04:12 AM

Quote:

This is the new small block pan I helped Milodon develop.

NICE looking piece ...

But will FRANKENberri need a second-job to get it ? ...
Posted By: Ontos

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/13/12 05:19 AM

A quick Google search sez around $400 for a 318/340 milodon pn#31590 road race pan.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/13/12 06:21 AM

What about us RB guys?

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/13/12 06:26 AM

Quote:

What about us RB guys?

IIRC, the same price or a little cheaper. You need to buy the special pickup that goes with each pan too.

Attached picture 7015981-6067188-Milodon31580-MilodonRoadRaceOilPans-Overview-SummitRacing.com(Medium).jpg
Posted By: Ontos

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/13/12 06:45 AM

But...the B/RB pan only fits an E or B...surgery on the K-Member required for an A body. Or so I'm told

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/13/12 06:52 AM

Quote:

But...the B/RB pan only fits an E or B...surgery on the K-Member required for an A body. Or so I'm told

Mike Mosley did it and it didn't sound like a ton of mods.

Here's a big block Milodon pan in the ultra tight 73-76 A-body spool K-member. A 67-72 biscuit K-member might take less driver side mods.

Mike Mosley's BB Milodon Road Race pan in a 73-76 A-body Spool type K-member

PASSENGER SIDE

DRIVER SIDE

Attached picture 7016003-MikeMosley1.jpg
Posted By: 70chall440

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/13/12 07:57 AM

Highly recommend Kevko pans; very afforable and nice fitment. Thier street stock fitment pans are like $180 for the pan and $40 for the pickup.

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/13/12 08:16 AM

Quote:

Highly recommend Kevko pans; very afforable and nice fitment. Thier street stock fitment pans are like $180 for the pan and $40 for the pickup.

Those are 1/2" deeper than stock and 3/4" deeper than the Milodon road race pan. If you running a car for handling with the front end low you should add a skid plate with that Kevco.

The Kevko's are better than stock, but seem to focus on fore and aft oil control. They are less expensive than the Milodon road race pans. But there is a world of difference in the features and benefits.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/13/12 09:04 AM

Milodon 31581 pan with external pickup. Right now I am having issues with the pickup fitting being too close to the Hooker Super Comp Hemi Headers.
Posted By: Daty Rogers

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/13/12 09:41 AM

Mike is a great friend of mine, I'd trust him. He knows what he's talking about.

-Daty
Posted By: racealittle

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/13/12 04:43 PM

I own an original bb stock car oil pan that has that shape, but is not that well baffled on the inside. It is much like the very old type written Direct Connection papers descibe, where the second oil pickup can be added to an external pump. It can hold 10 to 12 quarts of oil. I did use this on my first front engine dragster until I could afford a proper drag pan. It worked fine.

I thought that I would start out keeping it simple with the hemi/sixpack, 6 quart pan and either a mopar or Milodon windage tray. I still have to add the skid plate on the k member. I want to make sure the TTI headers and other possible steering mods will allow a change to a better oil pan.

It's hard to do work on your ride when it's in paint prison. Hopefully it's worth the wait.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/13/12 08:03 PM

I'm probably gonna have to bite the bullet on one of these for mine. An accumulator is an option but it won't gain me ground clearance.

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/13/12 08:18 PM

Quote:

I'm probably gonna have to bite the bullet on one of these for mine. An accumulator is an option but it won't gain me ground clearance.

And it's added weight.

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/13/12 08:41 PM

Steve this forum is gonna keep you busy as hell you know that right?
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/14/12 12:42 AM

How does that LA pan fit the early A bodies?
Posted By: jcc

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/14/12 02:41 AM

Quote:

Steve this forum is gonna keep you busy as hell you know that right?

And left, and then right gain

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/14/12 04:45 AM

Quote:

How does that LA pan fit the early A bodies?

I think it has very good possibilities. I think Milodon said someone was going to try it on a 63-66 A-body.

I've got some pics with some measurement under a 66 A-body with stock LA pan...

Attached picture 7017492-Julius8_20_10ShopSm11.JPG

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/14/12 05:10 AM

Not sure what that pan is stock for, but it isn't stock for a 65 Cuda.

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/14/12 05:31 AM

Quote:

Not sure what that pan is stock for, but it isn't stock for a 65 Cuda.

Your right. That's an generic pan. But the Milodon pan core is base of that 70 up type pan. It seems to be working in this 66 Cuda though.

The idea is to get the relative distances off the picture and apply it to the Milodon pan.

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/14/12 03:48 PM

Yep, Right now I have a Milodon pan on my Cuda, minimal baffles but more than stock. I also have a pan from an 87 M body, it fits, that I baffled similar to the Milodon one I have. I thought of adding more baffling but my welding skills are not up to thin sheet metal, yet.

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/14/12 04:46 PM

Quote:

Yep, Right now I have a Milodon pan on my Cuda, minimal baffles but more than stock. I also have a pan from an 87 M body, it fits, that I baffled similar to the Milodon one I have. I thought of adding more baffling but my welding skills are not up to thin sheet metal, yet.

Which Milodon pan do you have?
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/14/12 05:38 PM

Milodon road race pan is probably the best choice currently available. Only thing better in a stock chassis would be a dry sump. There are some nice rear sump SB pans available, but you have to use front steer which is a bunch of work.

Attached picture 7018123-dougsp.jpg

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/14/12 10:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Milodon 30750

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/15/12 12:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Milodon 30750

That's the stock one with the added baffle in the back. That will have the same (or extremely close) outside dimensions as the chrome pan I posted pictures of above.

If someone in So Cal had a loose 63-66 K-frame with motor mounts I could take it over to Milodon and check hands on fitment.
Posted By: 68440fish

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/16/12 03:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Mike Mosley did it and it didn't sound like a ton of mods.

Here's a big block Milodon pan in the ultra tight 73-76 A-body spool K-member. A 67-72 biscuit K-member might take less driver side mods.

Mike Mosley's BB Milodon Road Race pan in a 73-76 A-body Spool type K-member

PASSENGER SIDE

DRIVER SIDE

I wonder if it will be possible for me to pull the engine out the top with the K-frame in? This was done in response to the previous pan bottoming on a huge pothole and ripping the drain plug half out. Four quarts on the ground in about a minute. I suspended the engine, removed the K, swapped in the pan and started measuring and trimming. Then burned in a few pieces of reinforcement with the stick welder.

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/16/12 04:08 AM

Quote:

I wonder if it will be possible for me to pull the engine out the top with the K-frame in? This was done in response to the previous pan bottoming on a huge pothole and ripping the drain plug half out. Four quarts on the ground in about a minute. I suspended the engine, removed the K, swapped in the pan and started measuring and trimming. Then burned in a few pieces of reinforcement with the stick welder.

Mike.

I put my smallblock in from the top. No headers and no trans. Would not be able to do it with trans still on it.

TIGHT FIT

Attached picture 7020970-3_19_11Sm62.JPG

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/16/12 04:27 AM

So would you guys say the pan works and does what it is intended to? Andy you mentioned some control issues, were they oil pressure loss with that Valiant pullin some G's? Or just typical leaks and/or valve cover breather issues?

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/16/12 08:54 AM

Quote:

So would you guys say the pan works and does what it is intended to? Andy you mentioned some control issues, were they oil pressure loss with that Valiant pullin some G's? Or just typical leaks and/or valve cover breather issues?

IIRC, that was with his custom Charlie's pan. Car went out to PIR, kicked butt, but after so many laps would loose oil pressure. Read down this page. I don't think Tim Werner has had his Valiant out with the new Milodon pan? AndyF?

On my car, with the old motor with stock pan and old suspension (still all upgraded) I had a pro driver drove my car at the big track at Willow Springs he sucked the pan dry.

He drove my car last April on same track with the new Milodon pan and about 200 more horsepower (seriously the old motor was tired) AND full Hotchkis TVS with 1.12 T-bars and there were no oil pressure issues whatsoever. He even over revved it by tossing it in neutral because the gearing is pretty still and thought it was in 2nd. I guarentee he was pulling more G's in the corner, coming of the corner with more HP/TQ, and pulling more revs at the end of the long straight because he could hit a higher top speed.

I also went dead sideways through the backstretch for about 200 yards. Motor died. Fired it back up and oil pressure was fine.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/16/12 09:03 AM

Right now I am trying to figure out how to clear my headers, this is the newer milodon 581 pan, got it directly from them. I am going to run a solid line to the pump cover because I just dont trust a hose that close to the exhaust. Tim

Attached picture 7021249-oilpickupline.jpg
Posted By: boydsdodge

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/20/12 01:02 AM

I am running the new Milodon road race pan on my small block.

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/20/12 01:05 AM

I will be getting one for my big block as soon as I recover from my recent purchases
Posted By: Mattax

Re: Whatchoodoinferran OIL PAN ? - 01/20/12 02:43 PM

What am I using?
Stock pans with my own baffles. The biggest problem is that the sump is shallow (A/LA engine). In this respect the generic stock style Milodon pan is slightly worse starting point than many of the OEM pans (although it does look nicer). The best guidance is in the old DC catalog and Martin books, but there's no blueprint per se. After some experimentation, I've found the sump baffle suggested in MA (a magazine) a few years back sits too low to be very effective. Placing baffles higher, or running a second set on the sides will better trap the oil.

My only serious low pressure issues arose when the pickup was not properly located at the bottom of the sump. The accusump definately helped save the situation that weekend. Although I use the accusump, it brings its own host of issues and there were a number of years where I didn't use it.

I think E-berg used a Charlie's pan on the Green brick, and so have some vintage racers. Others have used custom steel pans or the Kevco (non street use since it sits a little lower). Beckman used a steel pan on the rallye cuda since using readily availble gaskets was a requirement. Rallye is a bit differnt than pavement, and honestly I think WRT oil control autocross is a bit different than track. Unless there's a 'skid pad' maneuver, autocross generally doesn't keep oil to any one side for a long time. However, in autocross the car is rapidly and violently changing direction so the oil is sloshing like crazy compared to road course.
© 2024 Moparts Forums