Moparts

Subjects/ Topics

Posted By: Viol8r

Subjects/ Topics - 01/12/12 07:36 PM

Let's try to keep topics focused on certain handling aspects or parts as opposed to just saying "What did you put on your B-body to make it handle?".

This will help break down when and why, etc. It just becomes to confusing for guys when the subjects are too broad. This will help topics be a bit more clear.
Posted By: amxautox

Re: Subjects/ Topics - 01/12/12 07:38 PM

I disagree, that questain is needed for a beginner to have someone post and so tell them what those parts are.

Re: Subjects/ Topics - 01/12/12 07:41 PM

OK..........
Posted By: jcc

Re: Subjects/ Topics - 01/12/12 07:46 PM

Quote:

Let's try to keep topics focused on certain handling aspects or parts as opposed to just saying "What did you put on your B-body to make it handle?".

I hate limiting anyone, but I think your suggestion has merit, to me, the dividing line, is any deviation from stock in the chassis goes here, and 1/4 mile crowd will recoil on their own, but that quip maybe to harsh and unsensitive, sorry

Re: Subjects/ Topics - 01/12/12 07:58 PM

I will try to be a bit more sensitive next time. Just trying to give suggestions to keep the section living.
Posted By: 70chall440

Re: Subjects/ Topics - 01/12/12 09:58 PM

let me walk down the middle... I agree that the general questions lead to a very confusing litany of opinions and comments; very hard to seperate fact from fiction. On the other hand, many times you don't know what you don't know; meaning many people don't know what question to ask. I have met a number of people who for whatever reason obtained a 60's or 70's era Mopar for the first time and are surprised that they dont handle like a new car or anything near one. All they know to ask is "how do I" type questions in general. With all of the new coil over conversions, tubular K frames, etc on the market now, it can be VERY confusing.

Therefore, I would say "let it run". Some people will ask very pointed well thoughtout questions, while others will continue to ask very general broad based questions. So long as the members here do not descend on them like a pack of wolves, all should be ok. Of course, many people (to include myself) want instant answers to questions that fit into a neat little box. Unfortunately as most of us know, handling questions are rarely simple to answer or invlove only 1 or 2 items/issues (very much like horse power issues).
Posted By: amxautox

Re: Subjects/ Topics - 01/12/12 10:09 PM

Well, a newcomer to handling won't even know the 'proper' questain to ask, so they have to be very general. Starting with the very basics will be necessary more often than not. There is a heck of a lot I don't know, and never heard of myself, expecially the 3 and 4 link stuff, coilovers some but not enough knowlege about that.

Common 'handling terminology' will come into play also. As in 'how to corect over steer?' = "What is over steer?" Then you'll get "What is front over steer compared to rear over steer?"

So we all will just have to understand, and go with the flow and understand there are more than one train of thought, and more than one way to do something.

Then we all have to learn more about the tires that are available these days and which could be best for any setup/car/use/driving style.

This IS going to be a very interesting forum, as it already it.
Posted By: 70chall440

Re: Subjects/ Topics - 01/12/12 10:53 PM

Quote:

Well, a newcomer to handling won't even know the 'proper' questain to ask, so they have to be very general. Starting with the very basics will be necessary more often than not. There is a heck of a lot I don't know, and never heard of myself, expecially the 3 and 4 link stuff, coilovers some but not enough knowlege about that.

Common 'handling terminology' will come into play also. As in 'how to corect over steer?' = "What is over steer?" Then you'll get "What is front over steer compared to rear over steer?"

So we all will just have to understand, and go with the flow and understand there are more than one train of thought, and more than one way to do something.

Then we all have to learn more about the tires that are available these days and which could be best for any setup/car/use/driving style.

This IS going to be a very interesting forum, as it already it.

Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Subjects/ Topics - 01/13/12 04:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I hate limiting anyone, but I think your suggestion has merit, to me, the dividing line, is any deviation from stock in the chassis goes here, and 1/4 mile crowd will recoil on their own, but that quip maybe to harsh and unsensitive, sorry

Something like that. I don't want to weed through a bunch of "how do a replace my balljoints" or "how do I rebuild my front end" questions.

I'm afraid theres going to be a bunch of extremely mild modification type questions.

And a bunch of, "I want to make my car handle but still launch hard with my drag radials"....

Buh-Bye go back to the drag forum.
Posted By: Daty Rogers

Re: Subjects/ Topics - 01/13/12 04:48 AM

Quote:

I'm afraid theres going to be a bunch of extremely mild modification type questions.

Yeah, but they are starting down the path most people here have already been down, who better to ask?

-Daty
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Subjects/ Topics - 01/14/12 09:38 PM

How about a bang for buck thread to sticky for newbies.
Typical old street A body or a typical B/E body.
Owner just got it and it could use a full suspension redo. Price that out, then what would be suggested for 200 more, 500 more and what it would cost to to a full boat (XV or Hotchkiss, for example).
Cover when oil mods will be needed, when the current brakes, tires and wheels will have to be replaced.
Do the same thing with an LX chassis.

Kind of like the old DC formulas for 14 second to 10 second cars.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Subjects/ Topics - 01/14/12 10:00 PM

Quote:

How about a bang for buck thread to sticky for newbies.
Typical old street A body or a typical B/E body.
Owner just got it and it could use a full suspension redo. Price that out, then what would be suggested for 200 more, 500 more and what it would cost to to a full boat (XV or Hotchkiss, for example).
Cover when oil mods will be needed, when the current brakes, tires and wheels will have to be replaced.
Do the same thing with an LX chassis.

Kind of like the old DC formulas for 14 second to 10 second cars.

I think the sticky right now sort of covers it.

I like the same idea done in General Section for events and special gatherings for Mopars that Handle.
© 2024 Moparts Forums