Moparts

2011 Challenger burns on assembly line

Posted By: mccannix

2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/11/11 02:15 AM

I dont know if this has been posted already and it is somewhat old news, but a friend of mine sent me this picture of a 2011 Challenger that burned on the line at the Brampton, Ontario assembly plant a week ago.
I couldn't find anything in the news about it but a couple board members here work there so perhaps they'll chime in.

Attached picture 6578923-image.png
Posted By: amxautox

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/11/11 02:17 AM

I wonder if it was under warrenty?

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/11/11 02:19 AM

It is pretty crispy.
Apparently some attached paperwork as it rolls down the line was too close to a heat lamp.
No broadcast sheet for this one now maybe??
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/11/11 02:32 AM

Is that the new Dodge Baked Potato? It looks like it was wrapped in foil before baking.
Posted By: anlauto

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/11/11 02:36 AM

I just talked to Glenn on Friday, he didn't mention anything
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/11/11 03:07 AM

If I remember the correct term, the engineers at Chrysler call that a "Thermal Event" (fire).

I do know that when I was on the 09 Ram launch team I wrote up a issue for a possible "Thermal Event" on the V-6 trucks for the fuel line connection at the fuel rail for being directly over a coil pack. If the o-ring was damaged on the installation or the connection was improperly done. If the connection ever leaked it would be a bad idea for it to be leaking directly onto a coil pack.

One leak, one spark and

I'd seen way too many fuel line connections not done or the connection o-ring damaged at the tank causing gas to be sprayed all over the top of the gas tank on the trucks.

They said it wouldn't be an issue.

The one in the pic looks like an SRT (SRT wheels).
Posted By: elitecustombody

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/11/11 03:18 AM

Good thing it didn't up and take off with throttle stuck
Posted By: Runner2go

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/11/11 03:02 PM

Wouldn't Deep Water Blue in 2011 make that an Inaugural Edition 392...

Hmmm... I wonder if that was a US or Canadian car
I guess they are going to have to change those dash plaques to either #xxxx of 1099 US, or #xxx of 391 CA
Posted By: chargervert

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/11/11 03:59 PM

Quote:

I dont know if this has been posted already and it is somewhat old news, but a friend of mine sent me this picture of a 2011 Challenger that burned on the line at the Brampton, Ontario assembly plant a week ago.
I couldn't find anything in the news about it but a couple board members here work there so perhaps they'll chime in.

I've always said those new Challengers are really hot cars!
Posted By: cudarex

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/11/11 04:09 PM

They'll have that back on the line in no time!
Posted By: JonC

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/11/11 05:31 PM

If they take the good parts off that car and put them on another new one, does that make it a re vin or non original?
Posted By: Hoof Hearted

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/11/11 06:22 PM

I give it a week and member CHALLENGER2008 will have it up for sale.
Posted By: Hank

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/11/11 07:13 PM

so anyone know when this happened?
Posted By: TX9H6E4CUDA

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/11/11 07:54 PM

Ahhhhh I don't know about the story of paperwork...........(no offense to the op) I have been looking at the insurance auctions for a challenger repairable and there are always a couple in the auction that are burnt and look like the car pictured. They are burned exactly the same way. Maybe there is a issue?
Posted By: chargervert

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/11/11 07:58 PM

Quote:

It is pretty crispy.
Apparently some attached paperwork as it rolls down the line was too close to a heat lamp.
No broadcast sheet for this one now maybe??

This is more likely the issue.
Posted By: badblack68

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/11/11 08:02 PM

Just repaint it "burnt orange".
Posted By: Geezer

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/11/11 08:04 PM

Quote:

Ahhhhh I don't know about the story of paperwork...........(no offense to the op) I have been looking at the insurance auctions for a challenger repairable and there are always a couple in the auction that are burnt and look like the car pictured. They are burned exactly the same way. Maybe there is a issue?

Fiat management likes to burn 1 or 2 cars per shift to increase production numbers but not increase cars in the sales bank.
Posted By: west

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/11/11 08:32 PM

Are we sure this burned on an assembly line?
What is the process in assembling these cars.
It looks like it was gassed up and started before the front end parts were assembled. Is that normal procedure?
How could the car burn for so long on an assembly line,don't they have fire extinguishers?
Posted By: CrAlt

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/11/11 08:48 PM

Quote:

How could the car burn for so long on an assembly line,don't they have fire extinguishers?

If Chrysler is anything like the corporation I work for then no. The bean counters and lawyers decided it was cheaper to remove them and risk a few buildings burning then to maintain them every year and do yearly training with all 80,000 employees. Not to mention the liability if someone gets hurt fighting a fire.

Our yearly fire training is now basically "if you see smoke or see fire pull the alarm and exit the building. DO NOT fight the fire no matter the size."
Posted By: Runner2go

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/11/11 08:51 PM

Quote:

Are we sure this burned on an assembly line?
What is the process in assembling these cars.
It looks like it was gassed up and started before the front end parts were assembled. Is that normal procedure?

Maybe because the stoners where too busy using dip sticks to roast Marshmallows

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/11/11 09:01 PM

All I know is a friend forwarded me an email with the attached picture.
He had been sent the original message and photo taken by cell phone on Sunday, April 3, 2011 by a shift worker.
The photo taker was lucky not to get caught doing that and the message was "Fire @ Work Today" and something to the effect that a heat lamp on a work order resulted in combustion.
I imagine the plant tries to keep this sort of thing internal.
Possible paint work spot-in being cured by a heatlamp?
Posted By: west

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/11/11 09:07 PM

I'm no fire expert but that just doesn't look like some papers burning caused that fire.The damage is pretty extensive. Unless it burned when nobody was around.
Posted By: CYACOP

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/11/11 09:18 PM

Got the Christine cigar treatment at the factory.

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/11/11 09:18 PM

Quote:

I'm no fire expert but that just doesn't look like some papers burning caused that fire.The damage is pretty extensive. Unless it burned when nobody was around.

Coulda been this guy dropped his cigar ash on the front seat, again.

Attached picture 6580076-Christine.jpg

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/11/11 09:23 PM

"You're so Pretty when you're Angry!"

Attached picture 6580084-christine-dvd-cover.jpg
Posted By: scrag

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/11/11 10:21 PM

Actually that is the rare single edition Hemi Grill and Bar BQ edition - you can tune in different receipes and watch her cook......

RE "Thermal event" is about as spot on NASA's idiotic statement about the Challenger "in flight anomaly"
Posted By: TX9H6E4CUDA

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/11/11 11:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Fiat management likes to burn 1 or 2 cars per shift to increase production numbers but not increase cars in the sales bank.

Well here is one at the auctions this week...and I have seen ALOT with the same burn damage. Here is one and they seem to come up weekly like this. Im just saying

http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch.html...=SEARCH_RESULTS
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/11/11 11:06 PM

Hot Rod.
Posted By: 72N96RR

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/11/11 11:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If Chrysler is anything like the corporation I work for then no. The bean counters and lawyers decided it was cheaper to remove them and risk a few buildings burning then to maintain them every year and do yearly training with all 80,000 employees. Not to mention the liability if someone gets hurt fighting a fire.

Our yearly fire training is now basically "if you see smoke or see fire pull the alarm and exit the building. DO NOT fight the fire no matter the size."

That is wrong in every possible way...Ive worked in several auto plants and they have fire extinguishers EVERYWHERE and a special team to go around and maintain them on a DAILY basis..And it is a OSHA mandate...Assembly line employees are not trained in usuing them so no expense in training to anyone but the fire team..Does it take a rocket scientist to pull a pin and squeeze a handle.. .And I have seen many car fires..That is obviously an underhood fire..No dangling paperwork would have burnt to the point of destroying that car without it being noticed and put out..
Posted By: Brian_wo

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/12/11 01:14 AM

funny,this thread made this site
http://jalopnik.com/#!5790986
Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/12/11 02:53 AM

"Negative to zee positive, positive to zee negative...

Posted By: FY1CUDA

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/12/11 10:18 PM

What's the big deal! That'll buff out!

Chuck West
Posted By: HotWheelz

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/13/11 12:33 AM

Quote:

funny,this thread made this site
http://jalopnik.com/#!5790986

wow..its everywhere now, google "challenger fire"...lol
If the plant has a policy about taking pictures inside...I'm sure management is a little pizzed..
Posted By: mopar4ya

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/13/11 12:35 AM

Finally, one I could afford

Dan
Posted By: LugNuts

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/13/11 12:31 PM

From one of the workers.

"It's sort of true. The car wasn't on the line. It was in the repair bay at the end of the production line. The car went in for repair on the body or paint. Not to sure which one. After they repair, they bring the car to a low bake oven (which is near repair) to cure the paint. Word is they either left the car in there to long or there was some malfunction on the car while in the oven. I attached a picture. I think it was a 392 special edition."

Somebody's gonna get a hurtin'
Posted By: HogRidinFool

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/13/11 01:01 PM

Quote:

From one of the workers.

"It's sort of true. The car wasn't on the line. It was in the repair bay at the end of the production line. The car went in for repair on the body or paint. Not to sure which one. After they repair, they bring the car to a low bake oven (which is near repair) to cure the paint. Word is they either left the car in there to long or there was some malfunction on the car while in the oven. I attached a picture. I think it was a 392 special edition."

Pretty nice of the "worker" to state the facts. "Could be a employee error or a vehicle malfunction, but golly gee, I dont know so I'll share the pic with the world and give my employer a black eye".
Posted By: LugNuts

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/13/11 02:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

From one of the workers.

Pretty nice of the "worker" to state the facts. "Could be a employee error or a vehicle malfunction, but golly gee, I dont know so I'll share the pic with the world and give my employer a black eye".

This person did not post or take the picture. The point is that, in the interest of clarifying the facts, yes there was an incident at the factory. They lost a very nice car. Who or what caused the incident is being fully investigated.
Posted By: srt

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/13/11 03:29 PM

industrial incident, no one hurt, no news. It will be handled with an internal incident report.
Looks like an electrical issue. Potential underdash and under hood involvement.
Posted By: ChryCoGuy

Re: 2011 Challenger burns on assembly line - 04/13/11 03:40 PM

Quote:

industrial incident, no one hurt, no news.

© 2024 Moparts Forums