Moparts

Mini Starter acting up?

Posted By: streetkit

Mini Starter acting up? - 04/25/07 04:14 AM

I have a mini starter in my D100 that has started acting up. When you hit the key and crank the engine it makes clicking noise while it is cranking. It always fires up but the noise is new and I figure it will eventually quit.

Is it the starter or should I look for something else? I'm going to start by making sure all my connection are good, clean and tight but what else can I check?

Thanks for all your input in advance
Posted By: Erics5th

Re: Mini Starter acting up? - 04/25/07 07:15 AM

Its your soloniod contacts are going bad. You can go to Kragens and get a kit that has a new soloniod and contacts for around 14 bucks. Pop off the cover, put the new plunger in, install new contacts (the kit will have several since Toyota, Mitsubishi, etc uses the same basic starter, the instructions will say which ones to use) and its good as new. Oh yeah, be carefull with the insulators for the contacts, they are fragile.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Mini Starter acting up? - 04/25/07 08:48 AM

if you know your way around a starter you can pull it apart and just flip the contact disc in the solenoid. sounds like yours has gotten some pitting and its contacting is a hit or miss.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Mini Starter acting up? - 04/25/07 02:59 PM

If somebody would give a good part number for the contact replacement kit, I would archive it.
Posted By: Erics5th

Re: Mini Starter acting up? - 04/25/07 04:42 PM

Victory Lap Starter Solenoid Repair Kit part number ND34SOL. Found at Shucks/Kragen/Checkers stores and partsamerica.com.
© 2024 Moparts Forums