Moparts

The hot rod EXPLODED today

Posted By: feets

The hot rod EXPLODED today - 06/03/03 01:42 AM

I was pulling out of work and merging with traffic when the whole car exploded!
I slapped the kill switches and pointed it towards where I thought the curb would be. The smoke was so thick that I couldn't see the steering wheel much less anything else!
The guys at work saw it from 100 yards away and totally freaked.
My first thought was that the battery in the trunk exploded. The second thought was that all my work for the Power Tour was wasted.
I got the car stopped and got out. That's when I tasted it. The smoke. It's not smoke. It's powder.
My friggin 10 pound dry powder fire extinguisher blew. It's been behind the driver's seat for two years and picked today to blow it's top.
Scared the ever-lovin blue-eyed chit outta me.
I've got yellow/white powder all over the inside and outside of the car. I doubt my shop vac will ever be able to get all that crap outta there.
I'm picking up a new extinguisher tomorrow. I don't like the idea of not having one in the car.
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: The hot rod EXPLODED today - 06/03/03 01:49 AM

CO2 or halon is the ONLY way to go...no crap to ingest in the motor if its ever called for - get that powder outta there, I hear it can be pretty corrosive if left to sit...
Posted By: Anonymous

Sorry to hear that, but its much better than your car buring to the ground!
Posted By: drbill

Quote:

Scared the ever-lovin blue-eyed chit outta me.

Sorry about the explosion and mess you have to clean up but that is pretty darn funny.

Re: The hot rod EXPLODED today - 06/03/03 01:52 AM

Sorry to hear about the mess, but count your blessings...It coulda been far worse.

Are you still planning on the Power Tour? I'm jealous..My car is nowhere near ready. Oh well, maybe next year.

Re: The hot rod EXPLODED today - 06/03/03 01:55 AM

This post scared me about as much as your accident scared you.. I LOVE your car and I was expecting the worst when I saw this

Re: The hot rod EXPLODED today - 06/03/03 01:59 AM

This thread scared the fsck out of me! Glad to hear you and your ride is ok, though.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: The hot rod EXPLODED today - 06/03/03 02:05 AM

Glad it wasn't anything too serious.
PS: I HOPE THAT YOU CHANGED YOUR SHORTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Ed_Devinney

Re: The hot rod EXPLODED today - 06/03/03 02:13 AM

Shazam! Glad to hear everything is still together, although with a new color scheme. And yes, as far si I know, it's corrosive.

I'll second the vote for halon. Expensive, but cheaper than rebuilding the engine after you fire it off under the hood. Reminds me I need to get one for my hot rod, have one in the road course car, but still have dry chemical in the 'cuda...
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: The hot rod EXPLODED today - 06/03/03 02:13 AM

i saw that happen to a friend competing in a 4 wd. truck race. he was strapped in with his helmet on waiting to be called up when he accidently pushed on the extinguisher. it was supposed to be safety pinned. anyway the cab fills up with yellowish smoke the door opens and he falls out. by the time he realized something was wrong he injested some of the crap and almost passed out. not a good experience. feets you were lucky it happened in a area where you could get off the road. could of been a lot worse.
Posted By: feets

Re: The hot rod EXPLODED today - 06/03/03 02:16 AM

I'm a bit hesitant to run halon due to some mental delusion of it displacing oxygen. I'm worried about inhalation and the fact that it's much heavier than breathable air.

The powder is a mess but I don't ever plan on poking it down the carb throat. I've got stuff inside the car to smother that if necessary.
Posted By: Ed_Devinney

Re: The hot rod EXPLODED today - 06/03/03 02:28 AM

Quote:

I'm a bit hesitant to run halon due to some mental delusion of it displacing oxygen. I'm worried about inhalation and the fact that it's much heavier than breathable air.

Halon and CO2 both displace air, but they're really only dangerous in closed spaces like rooms with big fixed extinguisher systems. There is some risk to inhaling the halon itself, more so from inhaling the products it releases when in a fire, but in a car situation with lots of fresh air that's not a big deal. I guess if you use it on a fire inside the car with the windows up you might have a problem, but the halon would be the least of my problems there :-0

erd.dli.state.mt.us/Safety/SB_brochures/HALON.pdf
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: The hot rod EXPLODED today - 06/03/03 02:35 AM

when i first saw this, my first thought was the fuel system or something glad to hear everything is ok!! CHIP
Posted By: 70rtdroptop

Re: The hot rod EXPLODED today - 06/03/03 02:59 AM

wow. think i will have mine checked and put it in trunk.man i thought you blew up the motor or trans, you were lucky it happend totady
Posted By: Damned67

Re: The hot rod EXPLODED today - 06/03/03 03:17 AM

Glad that was all the drama. Like many, the "hot rod" is one of my fave car's on the board.
And what exactly is
Quote:

the ever-lovin blue-eyed chit

Re: The hot rod EXPLODED today - 06/03/03 03:25 AM

Sorry to hear about your "explosion". I am glad to hear you were able to pull over safely. How hot was it today? Was the heat a possible reason for the explosion? Sorry that I don't have any suggestions for cleaning up the mess. Better luck in the future.

Re: The hot rod EXPLODED today - 06/03/03 03:29 AM

"the ever-lovin blue-eyed chit" is the stuff in the shorts he changed.
Posted By: beeper71

Re: The hot rod EXPLODED today - 06/03/03 03:31 AM

Holy crap! You had me scared there for a minute!
Glad thats "all" it was though!GEEZ!
Sounds like you have a big azz mess to clean up.
Posted By: Dartman75

Re: The hot rod EXPLODED today - 06/03/03 04:31 AM

Glad to hear it wasn't the powertrain that blew up. Time to take advantage of a car cleaners with flat rates! Use CO2, unless you plan on using it in an enclosed area for longer than you could hold your breath...

Greg
Posted By: earlybee

Re: The hot rod EXPLODED today - 06/03/03 06:40 AM

man i,m glad your alright! did it look like your sig pic except on the inside!! yea your post heading got me too!!

Re: The hot rod EXPLODED today - 06/03/03 08:22 AM

Same thing happened to me a few years ago, just finished working on a Maserati 450s and took it out for a road test, going up the road I forgot about a big bump, car left the ground and when it landed the dry system went off, now a 450s is an open cockpit deal so you can just imagine what this looked like, at the same time I thought I had blown the motor and fully expected to be working to pay it off for the rest of my life!

Halon is banned in extinguisher systems in the U.K. by the way

Re: The hot rod EXPLODED today - 06/03/03 11:39 AM

Sorry feets! But that is pretty darn funny!! It'll clean up. 5hp shop vac!
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: The hot rod EXPLODED today - 06/03/03 11:48 AM

Feets,

That was scary. I was afraid you were going to say the motor blew big time!

Still, that powder sucks, to breath and to clean up. Glad to hear you and the car are OK.
Posted By: aarlucas

Re: The hot rod EXPLODED today - 06/03/03 11:57 AM

Feets,
You had me worried. All that hard work and then BOOM. I bet that did scare the S$%* out of you. Anyway, I'm glad to hear that it wasn't anything to serious. However, I couldn't stop laughing as I read the part about the powder!! All I could picture was you getting out of your car looking like you were rolling around in a big bag of flour!
Posted By: mopartony

Re: The hot rod EXPLODED today - 06/03/03 12:04 PM

Feets, sorry to hear about the mess in both the car and your drawers.

If you are on the power tour look for a short 5'5-6" guy Built like a fire plug, has his head shaved, from Michigan in a yellow Vette, MI plate, 4 spd, he is a buddy of mine. Nice guy a little cocky but.... His name is Fred, tell him Tony and Troy said Hello. Should blow his mind.

Have fun on the tour if you still go.
Posted By: 440trk

Re: The hot rod EXPLODED today - 06/04/03 01:15 AM

YIKES!
Glad to hear it was only CO2 and not oil/anti-freeze smoke.

Bet your buddies at work got a good chuckle once they found out what happened.
Posted By: dbdartman

Re: The hot rod EXPLODED today - 06/04/03 02:52 AM

I guess I'll have to add this to the story about the Road Runner & trailer ("Who's the member..." post on BEST OF MOPARTS board. Glad you didn't break anything!

Re: The hot rod EXPLODED today - 06/04/03 04:26 AM

Phew! I thought that after all the h e doubletoothpicks you've been through jobwise and all the work on the car that it just couldn't be true! Glad it wasn't, Kevin. Wow, I need a cocktail just to relax after that post! 440cj

Re: The hot rod EXPLODED today - 06/04/03 04:57 AM

we had 3 big guys in the cab of the INT and someone stomped the 40 pounder and off it went
i had to take a pressurewasher to the inside cause the shop vac would just "regas ya"
that is some NASTY stuff
I had a sore throat for 3 weeks

Posted By: savoy_63

Re: The hot rod EXPLODED today - 06/04/03 12:40 PM

Was it extreme interior heat or old age that caused it to blow?
Posted By: stumpy

Re: The hot rod EXPLODED today - 06/04/03 05:36 PM

If you think his story is funny you should have seen him. He was as dusty as the car and spitt"n stuff. He was still a little wide eyed and shook.BTW the beast sounds great with no mufflers in the system. It really is quiet and you have to love the sound of twin turbos spooling up and bleeding off.

© 2024 Moparts Forums