Moparts

Amp meter by-pass

Posted By: 69DartGT

Amp meter by-pass - 10/29/04 07:03 PM

I just completed the amp meter by-pass as shown on the http://www.madelectrical.com/index.shtml website. Surprise car started right up even the lights seem brighter, now all that I need to do is hook up a voltmeter, need to find a good source for switched 12 volt under the dash.
Posted By: BBR

Re: Amp meter by-pass - 10/29/04 07:21 PM

I was thinking about doing that this weekend as well. The b l i n k e r s a r e s l o w a t a s t o p l i g h t...

Re: Amp meter by-pass - 10/29/04 08:20 PM

Voltmeter gage installed, just curious it seems to bounce between 12-15 volts or so. My old amp gage did the same thing. The Alt and voltage regulator are new, but thinking maybe the voltage regulator wasn't working as advertised?
Posted By: groundpoint6

Re: Amp meter by-pass - 10/29/04 10:41 PM

Make sure you have all good, clean, solid grounds from the body to engine, and engine to battery.
A slight fluctuation in volts and amps were common to those cars at idle.
The most important thing is to see at least 13.5 volts at 750 rpm with no electrical accessories on, or no less than 13.2 volts with h/lamps and heater on.
Above 1500 rpm anything more than 14.5 volts maximum is an overcharge condition, and has to be repaired or you will cook the battery
Posted By: Dartman928

Re: Amp meter by-pass - 10/30/04 12:50 AM

running you should have 13.5 volts even with a one wire alt.?

I might have a probelm. Mine seems only to have 12.5 volts all the time.

Re: Amp meter by-pass - 10/30/04 01:28 AM

If you only have 12.5 volts, your not even charging. If you want to check your alternator, its easy.
If you have only one field wire, disconnect it and run a jumper wire from the positive battery to the field terminal, bring the motor uo to about 1200 rpm, you should have at least 15.0 volts.
If you have a two field alternator, disconnect both field wires, ground one terminal and put battery voltage to the other terminal, 1200 rpm should give you that 15.0 volts.

Re: Amp meter by-pass - 10/30/04 01:33 AM

Just out of curiosity, how did that madelectrical web site tell you guys how to bypass your ammeter

Re: Amp meter by-pass - 10/30/04 05:35 AM

groundpointe, take a look at part two and compare the two wire diagrams part one to part two.
http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml
Posted By: ohiodemon

Re: Amp meter by-pass - 10/30/04 12:53 PM

i did the same thing to my 72 demon about 2 years ago.
it was well worth it and makes the system much more reliable.
Posted By: Snailpower

Re: Amp meter by-pass - 10/30/04 06:01 PM

Just finished the ammeter bypass and it works great! I even called the guy at Mad Electrical and talked to him about it. I miss the gauge working on the dash, but I feel much better about the charging system.

Re: Amp meter by-pass - 10/30/04 08:56 PM

Quote:

Just finished the ammeter bypass and it works great! I even called the guy at Mad Electrical and talked to him about it. I miss the gauge working on the dash, but I feel much better about the charging system.

Did you add an after market voltmeter? or just running without any gages?
Tom
Posted By: roadrunner383

Re: Amp meter by-pass - 10/30/04 08:59 PM

I did the ammeter bypass on my Challenger and had Redline convert my amp gauge to a voltmeter. They did a great job and it looks like factory.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Amp meter by-pass - 10/31/04 02:24 AM

We have the ammeter bypassed on the 65 Belvedere.
I don't miss the gauge since I disconnected it just after we bought it 3 years ago.

I haven't installed a voltmeter since the headlights are "my voltmeter".
I have a pair of halogens at if they are bright, I'm over 13 volts.

I've owned many Mopars but this Zero options 65 is one of the first I remember that can claim virgin fuseable link. Mint too.
I think it's lack of options and lack of additional electrical add ons is to thank for it's trouble free after 40 years.
Posted By: Snailpower

Re: Amp meter by-pass - 10/31/04 02:36 AM

Hey Tom, I am not running any amp/volt gauge right now , but Roadrunner383 just gave me an idea...
© 2024 Moparts Forums