Moparts

what alum radiator to get for a B body.

Posted By: Mopar Ron

what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/12/04 03:20 PM

What radiator do I need to get for a big block B body (63 plymouth). I was told that the ford style one will have the inlet and outlet in the right places for a mopar, is that right?
I would like to be sure befor I order one.
summit has howes for $206.
and Griffin for $190.
Is one any better than the other? thanks in advance. Ron...
Posted By: earlybee

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/12/04 05:07 PM

SUM-380428 Ford: 27 3/8 in. x 19 in., aluminum, two row, radiator Today $169.95 they have 2 other sizes on their web page.

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/12/04 05:33 PM

has anyone used that summit radiator? does it work good? Ron...
Posted By: rva

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/12/04 09:29 PM

ron, i have the summit ford 27"3/8x19" works well see attachment

Attached picture 1012865-engine 007.jpg

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/12/04 09:35 PM

one more photo

Attached picture 1012880-engine 008.jpg
Posted By: ryan053

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/12/04 10:26 PM

whats that upper radiator hose for?

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/12/04 10:41 PM

Quote:

whats that upper radiator hose for?

?????????? not sure what you mean, the upper hose is going to the elect water pump on his car. Ron..

RVA, that is beautiful, that is just what i am looking for. very nice mounting, how is the bottom mounted?
do you know the hose #'s by any chance? Thanks. Ron...

Posted By: ryan053

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/12/04 10:46 PM

no like whats it for. when you went to the parts store what did you ask for? is it just a regular mopar hose?

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/12/04 11:03 PM

Whats it fit(what car), now it makes sence.
It sounded funny when I read it
like "whats the upper radiator hose for" . I asked the same question but I asked for a # of the hoses. Ron...
Posted By: beeper71

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/12/04 11:12 PM

I have the same radiator mounted in the RR similar to how RVA mounted his.
Sorry I can't remember the part # for the hose,but I made a simple pattern from a coat hanger and found a hose to fit.

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/12/04 11:21 PM

Quote:

Sorry I can't remember the part # for the hose,but I made a simple pattern from a coat hanger and found a hose to fit.

are you runnung a stock fan setup or did you go with an electric one. and how cool/hot does it run on the street. Thanks again, Ron...

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/12/04 11:50 PM

0n the 65 coronet the motor is moved back 3" i don't no what the hose is for but the part# is,70445 and 70734 one is upper and one is lower think they were dayco hoses, also have a 63 dodge with same radiator with engine in stock location hoses were from advance auto part #C71654 and C78592 on the bottom of the rad i used a alluminum angle and mounted it to the bottom fin and attached to the rad support.

Attached picture 1013177-engine 015.jpg
Posted By: Silver70

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/13/04 12:01 AM

Advance Auto parts #'s. Top hose # C71654 and bottom hose is # C70592.

I got the summit rad for my car also... but if you doa search since I didn't save the info, summit has a special on the rads, 14 off. So 155.00 plus thye 8.95 or whatever handling charge... of course I ordered mine a few days too ealy Even at 170 its a deal!

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/13/04 12:10 AM

Advance Auto parts #'s. Top hose # C71654 and bottom hose is # C70592.
silver70rr is correct my eyes are playing tricks with me again, thought the O was a 8
Posted By: beeper71

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/13/04 12:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

are you runnung a stock fan setup or did you go with an electric one. and how cool/hot does it run on the street. Thanks again, Ron...

Flex fan with a custom shroud...keeps the 451 cool on the street no problem.
I have installed a shorter fan spacer since this pic was taken to take better advantage of the shroud.

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/13/04 01:08 AM

This place(moparts) is the best.
Thanks guys for the great info on the radiator,hoses and mounting setups.
when I finish my shopping list I will give summit a call.
Thanks again. Ron....
Posted By: super451b

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/13/04 04:55 AM

I have to say thanks for the info too!! I just bought the Summit 380428 for my car and was wondering what hoses were going to work. Thanks Guys!

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/18/04 01:31 AM

Silver70rr(joe) thanks for the heads up about the summit special on the radiator.....
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=bestdeals.asp

Guys,I need your Opinion on where to mount the Summit radiator, I have 2 sets of holes right now. but because the engine is not in the car I am not sure if I should mount it high or low.
if I mount it high then 2 rows are blocked by the upper core support,
if I mount it low it doesn't look like the ones that you guys showed me this week.
so here are 2 shots with it mounted high and low, what do you think. thanks, Ron...

higher mounted

lower mounted
Posted By: 65racer

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/18/04 01:55 AM

Either way looks good to me, if you use the up high mounting, will the radiator cap clear the hood when it is shut? This would be my only concern. By the way you didn't happen the weigh the new radiator, I have one coming just like that for my car, and was wondering about the wt factor.

Thanks Dave

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/18/04 02:08 AM

Dave, I just went out and weight the new one and the old one, not sure how accurate it was with my old bathroom scale but the new alum one is 14# and the stock 3 core old one is 29#. half the weight and better looking, good deal. Ron...
Posted By: 65racer

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/18/04 02:15 AM

Thanks Ron, I was just curious, as to what the wt., was. Half the wt., and it's off the front end.

Thanks Dave
Posted By: kruger

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/18/04 02:53 AM

I was shopping radiators till I came across this post...

Thanks fellas!
Ordered the SUM-380428 Ford: 27 3/8 in. x 19 in also.

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/18/04 03:00 AM

did you order from
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=bestdeals.asp

SUM-CSUM974 $155.88 Ron...

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/18/04 03:32 AM

Yes sir,

Did 2 day.

Used the savings for the 2 Day.
Thanks again fellas.

Monday its off to Advance for the Hoses

SUM-CSUM974 SPECIAL CUSTOMER POSTCARD JULY $155.88 1 $155.88

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parts Total: $155.88
Handling Charge: $8.95
2nd Day Air Flat Fee: $19.90

Total Order: $184.73
Posted By: nomore65BelvJim

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/18/04 03:47 AM

thanks guysgood timing, I was wondering what I'd use on my 65 B. did anyone use the universal mounting kit? who used the rad in a swap from a /6 in an early B body and did you have to modify anything in the core support?

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/18/04 03:50 AM

65, I'm also doing a 65 Belv. 1

You beat me to the question

I'm watching this topic like a hawk
One stop shopping info.

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/18/04 03:56 AM

Cool kruger nothing like the lines on the B-1's,eh?
us "early B" guys gotta stick together, or we'll be overrun by the "E boys"

Jim

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/18/04 04:15 AM

I found this 65BelJim.

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=esearch.asp&N=110&Ntk=KeywordSearch&Ntt=radiator+universal+mounting+brackets&x=20&y=14

I just looked at RVA's pic again,
Its not these brackets.

I'll wait for replie and what he used to mount it.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/18/04 04:28 AM

Good to see ya all taking advantage of the sale price! I used this rad on my 69 rr also with an auto and used a b&m supercooler if anyone is wondering what to do if they have an auto... never had a problem. Of course I got a 4 speed now, so it saves me buying one

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/18/04 07:06 AM

I haven't done the bottom mounts yet, I plan on making them sunday(OH it's midnight) today.
but it looks like I will take a small piece of angle alum and mount it to the lower part of the radiator and there are 2 hole in the lower radiator pan(on the car) that i can bolt it to.
I will take some pics of the pieces and post them when I get it done. Ron...
Posted By: 440Satellite

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/18/04 11:53 AM

Yeah, this post is at teh perfect time!!!!! I took my 68 Satellite for a ride yesterday after alligning it and smelled a little antifreeze. I got home to discover there is a hairline crack right under the upper hose inlet , time to make another Summit purchace!!!! One Summit radiator here I come!!!!!

Butch
Posted By: Gary67

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/18/04 03:25 PM

I did mine similar to those posted but I used the universal brackets for the bottom mount on my 66 Satellite. When I purchased the rad it included the universal mounts as a package deal. I high mounted it making sure there was clearance when the hood was closed. I didn't have a easy spot to mount the bottom flange to but the universal kit had j brackets and a sticky back rubber insulator tape that holds the rad tank snug in the bracket and it worked out pretty well for my situation. I used 1/4 20 screws lockwashers and nuts along with some aluminum tubing from the local hardware store to finish it off on the top mounts. Also got the hoses from advanced auto that are mentioned earlier and a B&M supercooler. I attached pics for the top and bottom. Hope they help...

Attached picture 1025184-trad.jpg
Posted By: Gary67

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/18/04 03:29 PM

Bottom j bracket from the Summit universal kit...

Attached picture 1025192-brad.jpg

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/18/04 04:50 PM

Thanks for the pics Gary,
I was stareing at the universals in the summit pic
Scratching me head how they went on.

Ron,
Does it look like you'll be able to bolt the bottom?

Getting that Super Cooler from CRT
http://www.coperacingtrans.com/coolers.htm

( 440, Nice Satellite )

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/18/04 05:07 PM

excellent pics, thanks Gary! Looks like the universal kit will work for me. I'm still curious if there is a major difference in the radiator opening area of the support structure, /6 vs. V8.
Jim

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/18/04 05:19 PM

Jim,
Mine was a /6 its a 440 now with a radiator out of a 70 BB Car..

No difference in the opening.

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/18/04 05:51 PM

well I got the bottom brackets made and they seam to be strong enough, I pushed on the radiator very hard and nothing moved.

here are some pics of the lower bracket and the holes that were in the lower pan. Ron...

I have more pics if anyone need them.....

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/18/04 05:57 PM

Outstanding... Thanks Ron, Gary.

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/18/04 06:16 PM

nice job! thanks Ron

thanks for the info kruger, I'm going the same route...440 in an ex-/6. are you using an auto or 4 speed? I'm going with a 727, I have had the thrill of a 450hp 4 speed wheel lifting ride besides, I'm tired of shifting
Jim

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/18/04 06:30 PM

Its an Automatic Jim .

Getting a new one from CRT in September.
Setting the car up for NSS, ECNSS.

Never did air time in a car yet

get this radiator and trans stuff straighten out, Should be good to go when the cold weather hits.

This radiator topic came at a good time for me Jim Gives me something to do now lol

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/19/04 12:16 AM

the radiator is mounted in all stock holes that were on the upper and lower core supports.
on the upper core support the holes were just a hair smaller than 1/4" so I just opened them up to 1/4",
and for now I have a 1/4" bolt with washers but I am going to make the proper alum spacers for it.

then the lower plate is a piece of alum that I bent into a 90* piece and bolted it to the holes in the lower pan then drilled it and the radiator and bolted them together.

the only thing that I had to modify was on the driver side there is a raise area the made the radiator stick out towards the back of the car so I cut a small area out of it to make it set flat.(see the picture below)
If you did not want to cut anything all you would have to do is make the spacers a little longer(around 1 1/2").Ron...

the cut area is to the left side in this picture..

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/19/04 12:26 AM

When buster brown gets here I'll psot the install Ron..Jim..With or without Ball-Peen hammer marks
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/19/04 03:53 AM

i just ordered one too moparts discount...
Posted By: AZ-Nick

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/19/04 01:11 PM

Quote:

65, I'm also doing a 65 Belv. 1

You beat me to the question

Using the same on my 65
Posted By: Charger727

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/19/04 08:04 PM

It's a great deal from Summit, but these rads don't have trans coolers - is that a concern, or is everyone installing seperate trans coolers - and is that enough?

Or does everyone run 4-speeds?

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/19/04 09:30 PM

Im getting this Super Cooler 65.
http://www.coperacingtrans.com/coolers.htm

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/20/04 06:25 AM

where are you mounting the cooler/fan set up? is the fan necessiary for the street or would just the cooler be enough?

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 07/20/04 12:16 PM

Jim,

I'm mounting it between the Rad and Grill.
( off center )

The No-Fan is good enough for the street Depending on the works in the trans IMO.

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 08/06/04 11:41 PM

an update on this thread
started the process this afternoon with the universal mounting kit(sum380100)and it looks like the lower brackets will attach to the original rad lower holes. they are spaced almost perfectly to let the bottom of the tanks rest in the "cradle" of the bracket.

first pic,brackets only

Attached picture 1066389-photo195.jpg

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 08/06/04 11:44 PM

pic 2 , with rad resting in lower brackets

Attached picture 1066396-photo192.jpg

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 08/07/04 02:18 PM

Nice, looks like it'll fit good. I just put one in my 68 Satellite with the 26" rad suport and the bottom brackets were in mid air in ht eradiator opening when the brackets were on the tanks. I ended up welding an extra 1 1/2" peice of flat stock to the sides of the J-brackets and that worked out great, every applications diferent I sopose, attatched is a picture.

Butch

Attached picture 1067323-7-25-04   radiator 007.jpg

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 08/07/04 02:24 PM

And heres a picture of it all installed. It was running a little warm (almost 210)so I had to make a custom fan shroud. I picked up a 24"x28" peice of 20 gauge sheet metal and bent/welded up a fan shroud for it. It came out pretty good and the 440 now runs a constant 185!!!!!!!! Finally fixed my cooling problems.

Butch

Attached picture 1067332-8-01-04   radiator 001.jpg

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 08/07/04 02:33 PM

Excellent nice clean install.
Is that a hand made Shroud Satellite? Or a Universal.

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 08/07/04 02:54 PM

nice job on the shroud and brackets 440Satellite.
Here's another thread on using an electric fan/shroud set-up.

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 08/07/04 03:08 PM

Thanks, yeah I made the shroud by hand. I had an air nibler so the cutting was easy but I dont have a metal brake so I had to bend it all using peices of angle iron and clamps. Thats why it doesnt have sharp corners but I like it better that way.

65BelvJim, I've been folowing that thread on the T-bird fan setup. I was going to go that rought next if the shroud didnt keep it cool. I also changed the fan from the one in the picture which was a flex fan from Summit. I'm now running a 5 blade stock type flex fan, its got the pentastar on it so it must be a stock part. With this fan and the shroud it will suck your hand against the radiator when you hit the gas, it flows some major air. The car would get up to almost 210 with the Summit flex and now its a constant 185!!!

Butch

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 08/07/04 03:08 PM

Outstanding
Thanks.

Re: what alum radiator to get for a B body. - 08/07/04 03:39 PM

Heres a picture of just the shroud, I had to clearence it on the lowwer drivers side for the Summit rads lower hose outlet. I'll get a picture of the fan I'm using if you want.

Butch

Attached picture 1067445-8-07-04   radiatorshroud 005.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums