Moparts

Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise...

Posted By: Anonymous

Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/06/04 09:33 AM

Every Wednseday night there is a cruise at the local Kmart. In the swing of summer, they usually get 100+ cars. Anyway, after cutting the grass (3 hours), I earned the cold beer and needed a little time to myself so off I went.

Ive only been to this cruise maybe 3 times with my car in the new paint, so most dont know my car and have no clue what it runs.

About an hour into the deal, I'm talking with a guy that owns a 70 when a group of guys walk up and check my car out. One guy is older, maybe 60, the others are about my age (mid 30's). One of the guys is a big dude that thinks he's a hard arse. Heavy set, goatee, dark shades, smoking a cig and wearing a Dupont Jeff Gordon hat. I know of this guy because he owns a blue 69 Chevelle with a nitroused 468 with Dart Heads. When he pulls in, he's always bouncing the car and trying to get as much attention as possible. He runs on the street with slicks and the smell of Torco fills the air when he goes by. The car has 2 seats, no dash and a ton of guages with an 8 point roll bar. Ive seen it go 10 teens on the gas.

Anyway, I'm talking to the guy with the Roadrunner near the back of my car and a conversation ensues at the front of my car between these guys. The older guy leads the way with a statement, "yeah these Mopars used to run, but theyre cheap and tinny". Then, Mr. Chevelle says words to the effect of, "its pretty but its probably a pooch". I remember the word "pooch". At this point I'm already walking up to the front of my car and one of his buddys is telling him that he's seen my car at Lapeer Dragway but I interrupt. Excuse me? I said to Mr. Chevelle. "Nuthin' dude, were just checking out your ride". Oh, you mean checking out my "pooch"?? "Dude, you said it not me" he replys. And his buddys chuckle, but theyre looking down because they know I heard him say it..

So at this point I call him out. I open up my wallet and fortunately its a rarity that I have a decent amount of cash on me. Tell ya what I say as I show him a $50 bill. You let me turn that bottle of yours off and we go right now. His buddy that was mentioning my car at Lapeer starts to walk past him and says something into his ear as he walks away, stops and comes back. His response was "Dude, I have nitrous so I use it, take it or leave it". My response was "So you need a power adder against my car? What were you saying about 'Pooch' "??

At this point the guy tells me to F-off and the group starts to walk away. I'm laughing at this point and say "Come on back anytime"...

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/06/04 09:50 AM

Money talks and b.s. walks!! Must have been huffing the noz!!
Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/06/04 11:23 AM

Gary,

I know that dude!!!

We ended up hangin' out with that guy one evening as the cruise empties while watching everyone depart giving the gratuitous tire squealing launch, hop or whatever they could muster.

That guy is one pompous he-man woman-hater. He did have some funny one-liners. I'm glad my kids weren't around him.

It appears that, with you, he certainly didn't hold back. Lowering his level of humanity complete with profanities.

Dean

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/06/04 11:51 AM

What's the location of the Kmart?

Posted By: Jeremy71

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/06/04 12:55 PM

good story
Posted By: TJP

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/06/04 01:03 PM

Haven't done any serious racing for years. my cars were always non bottled. So when I ran into these types and they would whimper about giving up their bottles my normal response was something like
"I gave up bottles when I was two years old and I also got rid of Diapers about the same time"

After using the above line I can't think of an instance in which the bottle wasn't removed, nor do I remember ever losing to one of the tykes

Tim

Posted By: MY340

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/06/04 01:09 PM

I think you shut him up for at least a minute or two!
Posted By: FY1CUDA

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/06/04 01:29 PM

Good one Gary! Just remember, most serious street racers have a visible bottle and a hidden bottle.
Chuck

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/06/04 01:41 PM

nice one! i love calling out the phonies
Posted By: Wile1coyote

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/06/04 01:43 PM

Street Racing is illegal there Gary.

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/06/04 01:47 PM

Good for you Gary....put them in their place..
Posted By: 65Dart270

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/06/04 01:51 PM

Way to go, Gary. It should be illegal to run the juice on the street, anyway. Keep that crap on the strip where it belongs.
Posted By: v8440

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/06/04 02:00 PM

Wait, he has a gutted car with a 468, good heads, a bottle, and it only runs low 10's? What a punk. I wish I lived near you guys-I'd put my mustang with a smallblock on his ass. It also runs 10-teens on the bottle, but with a smallblock and a full interior, except for the back seat being gone to make way for the 8pt cage.

Don't worry, I'm not going ford. I got a crackhead deal on the car that I couldn't turn down. A turbo chrysler smallblock is in the works for it. It just burns my ass to see folks talk all kinds if sh*t loudly, when they can be fairly easily beaten themselves.

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/06/04 02:05 PM

Go back to Kmart next week, but this time write 12.70 on your side window before entering the parking lot. Make sure that the loud mouth see's it....that should get you your race
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/06/04 02:13 PM

Gary has a pass to be alolowed to street race Its pretty shiny and is like a free ticket to ride, lol!

I used to have this guy want to race me with his cobra mustang when I had a 93 z28. I'd always revved up the motor when going past him, but refused to race him as I knew he had heads/cam, and we think a hidden bottle. He really wanted to kick my butt over that... It was pretty funny when I showed up in the 69 rr, suddenly he doesn't race older muscle cars

My 70 is probally going to get me in toruble this summer! I can't wait!!!!!
Posted By: mcat4321

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/06/04 02:50 PM

Quote:

You let me turn that bottle of yours off and we go right now. His buddy that was mentioning my car at Lapeer starts to walk past him and says something into his ear as he walks away, stops and comes back. His response was "Dude, I have nitrous so I use it, take it or leave it".

i have to agree with the chevy guy here ,on the street its run whatcha brung.
no excusses. either bring enough or stay on the sidelines and watch
i have a smallblock it could go mid 11 would you race me if i said you have to unhook your 4 barrel and shift a 5000
or maybee you should have to take off in second
you bring it how you race it....
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/06/04 02:53 PM

Good job man It's always fun to go after the ones who run their mouth.

Besides the bump, it's one of many reasons why I haven't gone to Lapeer. Too many locals/ya hoos hanging out there and I don't want them or their buddies to see what my junk runs.

Quote:

Drayton Plains, Dixie Hwy south of Walton.

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/06/04 05:53 PM

Actually, I called his bluff without him calling mine because no, I wouldnt have raced on the street.

mcat, I understand your point. And yes.. If you heard me trash talking your car (which I dont do) and you called me out, I would feel obligated to put up or shut up.. Disconnecting the 4 barrel and shifting at 5 grand is kind of gay, but turning off a bottle when thats the only crutch youre standing on seems to be a no brainer.. The point being, he wouldnt have called my car a pooch if he didnt have a bottle. Now for me to walk up to him while he's minding his own business and say "Hey turn that bottle off and lets run", I can see your point. Didnt happen that way though, he threw the first dagger. KnowhatImean??
Posted By: Just Cameron

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/06/04 06:03 PM

Let him run nitrous. Get in front of him and hit the brakes the second he fires off a shot. Sorry dude, you now have $50 less to build a new motor with.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/06/04 06:26 PM

gary...sounds like that guys mouth was running like a toilet with a broken chain......

good job.......

hey couple of things....

1.how many beers did you have before yu jumped in that rocket

2.what are ya doing wanting to race on the street

someone might call the cops or something..lol

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/06/04 07:25 PM

it doesnt matter where you go there is always at least one guy like that, and for some reason they are always driving chevies, dont get me wrong i admire and respect all muscle cars, i am always the first person to complement soem one elses ride always, but these jerks are the worst, we have a guy like that around hear, but he is a real jerk, and a big mouth, recent story is his nitrous invected big block camaro,nice car by the way, was soundly spanked, not once, not twice, but 3 times in row about a wekk ago by a small block duster and get this drivin by a girl! its all over town and came from a very reliable source who was there went it went down!! so there is some justice out there

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/06/04 07:52 PM

SO why not let him spray and you spray and everybody sprays. Power adder or not. What about a Grand Nation who came factory with a power adder? I wont mess with one on the street that has been built. Fair or not, just run them or spray.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/06/04 09:07 PM

Its mostly the mustang 5.0 guys here who are real $#@%s! I used to cruise around in my 68 sport satellite only to get one always wanting to race... I just kept driving, looked the other way. Have I street race? Kind of, once or twice, would I do it now since I am a little more mature , probally not! I'm not saying your immature if you do street race, just I used to do alot os tupid, crazy stuff and wouldn't do much of it now!
Posted By: demonman

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/07/04 12:54 AM

The world is just full of them.I just ignore them and go about my biz

They are not worth wasting oxygen on.

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/07/04 01:52 AM

Quote:

it doesnt matter where you go there is always at least one guy like that, and for some reason they are always driving chevies,

Dude that is like saying all the mopar guys are dirty and have mullets.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/07/04 02:17 AM

Quote:

Youre just saying that because you bought a nova....

2tons
Posted By: FuryUs

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/07/04 04:26 AM

So, you drank a beer, went for a cruise in your 10 second street car, and then challenged someone to a street race? Sounds unlawful...
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/07/04 04:55 AM

people must be friendlier here in Colorado Springs. there's a local cruise in EVERY saturday night, almost year round it seems, out on Powers and Constitution. if it's car related, it's out there. from old bucket roadsters to muscle cars to...sadly...rice. but we all play nicely. Not once have I had someone walk up and talk about thier car being fast and mine being slow. either they are afraid of an old, tired beat up 383 with a slipping 727, and 2.76 gears...or they're just not into the whole "prove your speed" thing.

Most of them just ask if my car is for sale.
Posted By: 10secGTX

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/07/04 05:33 AM

I guess I better be careful before I smack talk... Dueling Doughnuts II

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... *DELETED* - 05/07/04 12:32 PM

Post deleted by Hemiragtop
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/07/04 12:56 PM

The guy is nice enough to tell you a story, and all you can do is give him a hard time.....

call the whaaaambulance!

2tons
Posted By: Waveraider

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/07/04 01:19 PM

2tons. That's funny!

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/07/04 01:35 PM

Quote:

2tons. That's funny!

Not funny to me. By making that post, he has himself become a "keyboard jockey." Hell, I probably am too, since I made this post.
Posted By: 65Dart270

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/07/04 01:36 PM

It's contagious...must...fight...keyboard...Argh!
Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/07/04 04:30 PM

Maybe we can have a Michigan Moparts AT that K-Mart someday ?? Would likely have a good turnout.

Would be cool to rumble in with a bunch of Mopar IRON (strictly for back-up officer... )

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/07/04 04:48 PM

Where is this Kmarts and what night?

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/07/04 06:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Every Wednseday night there is a cruise at the local Kmart...

Quote:

Quote:

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/07/04 08:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

2tons. That's funny!

Not funny to me. By making that post, he has himself become a "keyboard jockey." Hell, I probably am too, since I made this post.

Unlawful's car can back up the talk, and I am sure he would gladly race the Chevy guy at the track. I personaly can relate, many times I have had people at cruise nights talk smack about my car, it gets old after awhile, Gary just needed to vent.

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/07/04 08:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Youre just saying that because you bought a nova....

2tons

Shhhhh don't tell anyone

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/08/04 01:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

So, you drank a beer, went for a cruise in your 10 second street car, and then challenged someone to a street race? Sounds unlawful...

Exactly what I was thinking!!! I guess those are the perks of being a police officer. Drinking & driving(illegal), street racing(illegal)Causing an accident while street racing and being drunk, then flashing your badge to get out of trouble........priceless

Making a living off Hemiragtops tax dollars.. Now THATS priceless!!
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/08/04 01:49 AM

That's funny Gary, I can relate because there's a couple mustang guys at our local hangout that I have to wear tall rubber boots around since they're so full of s---!

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... *DELETED* *DELETED* - 05/08/04 02:59 AM

Post deleted by Hemiragtop
Posted By: Waveraider

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/08/04 03:37 AM

Guess what I did tonight? Cut my grass, had a couple of beers, then went to the local cruise-in at the mall. And it wasn't unlawful because I can't get drunk on two beers, but I'm working on it now. Thanks for the great story Gary. Keep us posted on your next encounter with your Chebby buddy.

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/08/04 11:25 AM

Quote:

Guess what I did tonight? Cut my grass, had a couple of beers, then went to the local cruise-in at the mall. And it wasn't unlawful because I can't get drunk on two beers, but I'm working on it now. Thanks for the great story Gary. Keep us posted on your next encounter with your Chebby buddy.

Well, I dunno. Two beers will put the smell of beer on your breath which is enough for a hardass cop to nail you for public intoxication in some places. And it's a (cop's) judgement call that counts, not yours and no breathalyzer needed for that one.

Steve

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/08/04 03:44 PM

As you can tell by some of these replies they dont all drive chebbies. LATER
Posted By: Giggy

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/08/04 04:24 PM

speaking of beer, went to a local Hooters and they restricted us to 2 beers an hour. (wasn't just us, it was their new policy?) Totally crazy. Not sure why, but needless to say, we were all designated drivers that night!
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/08/04 05:16 PM

so just level the field and hose the challenger (you had considered it anyhow?), if your going 70's on motor i doubt it'd take much gas to match him.

there's always some big mouth talking sh!t. i remember one weekend of bike racing this clown was running his mouth at the hotel bar saying he was gonna do this an he was gonna do that and i'd better not line up next to him...he didn't know i was flying the #1 plate. it was fun i just let him go on and on...then told him i was the national champion, the look on his face now that was priceless.
Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/08/04 05:41 PM

Sheesh. The Chevelle guy has watched American Graffitti too many times... Who does he think he is? Harrison Ford? LOL. Nope... Jeff Gordon...

To me the hobby is about what makes me feel good. A sweet looking car that is quick enough to scare me makes me happy. Sounds like that dude got bullied too much in high school or maybe was the bully that never grew up.
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/08/04 07:59 PM

I resently sold a 69 Bee I owned that was stock appearing but would run 12.40's at 111. The chevy guys were constantly looking for a bottle, they would even bring their flashlight. I finally put a licence plate frame on it that said too big for a bottle. I had one group that was so persistant that I finally told them I will open the trunk and take the back seat out and if you find a bottle I will give you $500 but if you do not you owe me $250. No takers. Danny Bell
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/08/04 08:50 PM

Unlawful were in Michigan is this K-mart, I might have to make a road trip and either bring a car or bring you the bottle set up. Street race is legal here unless you get caught.

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/08/04 09:04 PM

Quote:

Unlawful were in Michigan is this K-mart, I might have to make a road trip and either bring a car or bring you the bottle set up. Street race is legal here unless you get caught.

Anything is legal until you get caught!

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/08/04 09:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Every Wednseday night there is a cruise at the local Kmart...

Quote:

Quote:

Posted By: rapom

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/08/04 09:40 PM

I would say this happened to me around 1992. I had a very stock looking 79 Camaro with a strong 427 in it. (I was running consistant 12.10's at the track and 11.00's with 125hp nos jets) I was cruising in a nearby town when suddenly I found myself being stalked by a 79 Pontiac Grand Am or something(Pontiac's version of the Chevy Malibu). It had a nice sounding small block, slicks and had a tow vehicle following it around. We were playing around a bit and he asked it I had NOS and I said Yes but it was off. He wanted to race so I had him follow me out into the country where it was safe to race. First pass and I had him by about 4 cars. He then asked if I wanted to race again and I said why since I beat him so bad. He was persistant so I finally said ok and we ran again. This time he actually beat me by a car length. After the race he popped his hood and basically showed off the NOS plumbing that had beat me. Then all his friends plus him were basically claiming that I was running NOS the whole time and wouldn't believe that I wasn't. So I had them all come over to my car and I popped my trunk. Then I told the guy that raced me to turn on my bottle. It was very quiet when that guy turned the knob and everbody heard the Nos line fill up. Then I said, now do you want to race me. They really didn't have much to say after that and that was the last I saw of them.

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/08/04 09:47 PM

Quote:

Tell ya what I say as I show him a $50 bill. You let me turn that bottle of yours off and we go right now.

I'm sorry but this statement sounds like a whining ricer. If he has more HP on the bottle then you have, HE HAS MORE HP.

Might as well whine about more cylindas.
If your worried about the bottle don't race him, or race him and loose graciously, or race him and maybe win against the bottle without one.

Just don't whine at him like a teenager.

Remember "hope you brung enough"?
Posted By: peelerboy

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/08/04 09:59 PM

Quote:

Good job man It's always fun to go after the ones who run their mouth.

Besides the bump, it's one of many reasons why I haven't gone to Lapeer. Too many locals/ya hoos hanging out there and I don't want them or their buddies to see what my junk runs.

I probably should have tried to read ALL the way through this immense thread before posting, but I'm gonna' reply anyway!

Rich, when running at Lapeer, you don't have to worry about other people "seeing" what you run since they don't have e.t. light boards. Heck, they don't even have a friggin' ambulance for that matter! I guess you can hear the e.t.'s announced over their scratchy PA system, but you can always request this to be kept quiet via a "NO TIME" shoe polished on the side glass.

Excellent story, Gary. I love to hear when the big mouths get challenged. He was obviously informed by his buddy that he'd have been in trouble without his giggle gas. Too cool.

Dale
Posted By: Moparmal

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/09/04 01:15 AM

Quote:

Proud member of the "radical, loud and hate-filled loser element of our Mopar family".

Jim , that is just too funny!! Good one!

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/09/04 01:23 AM

I have nothing to contribute,but wanted to ask GregZ where the heck this K-Mart is???

Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/09/04 01:46 AM

Good one Gary, glad you slapped him back in place
the problem was he didnt have any where near the
fifty bucks in his pocket, too bad you could have
had more beer money.....LOL, good job
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/09/04 02:09 AM

Greg were in Michigan is this Drayton plains,Dixie Hwy.south of Walton.What big city is it close to. There was a street car a 70 dart back in the early 90s in the area were I live and he use to get the bad mouthing about his car from all the Chevy guys, Steel motor 440, ported 906 heads, big cam, huge NOS kit on it. He won most of his races on the street but alway told us he never liked running the bottle on the street and seldom did. I use to think like some of the Chevy boys that got beat by him that he did use the bottle until he took in to the Mopar Nations and ran a 8:26 on a full bottle pass with full exhaust and slicks. I never new what the car ran without the bottle at the track but I would believe it was in the 9:00 range.Unlawful should give the bottle a try its simple and cheap horsepower now a days and lots of it.

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/09/04 09:50 PM

Quote:

As you can tell by some of these replies they dont all drive chebbies. LATER

Dang, if that aint a NUFF' said!!!

Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Verbal jostling at the Kmart cruise... - 05/10/04 12:53 AM

when in rome
© 2024 Moparts Forums