Moparts

I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above

Posted By: 1fastsixpack

I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 04:06 PM

Me and my wife our building this in Northern Michigan, on a recreational piece of property we own. I was going to build a pole bar and continue using our camper until we could afford to build a cabin. But this design allows living space and storage for the toys for a price we can afford. We just got back from working on it. I worked one day from 4:00 in the morning til 6:00 at night screwing deck boards down during a nasty snow storm. We’re trying to do as much work on it ourselves as we can to save money. We hope to have it sided and weathered in by the first week of December.

Attached picture 6933984-DSC00667.jpg
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 04:07 PM

Cool! Exactly the kind of thing my husband and I have thought about building. What part of Northern Michigan?
Posted By: TheBlueBeast

Goodluck I hope the weather co-operates.

Pic 2:

Attached picture 6933991-October27016.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 04:09 PM

Pic: 3

Attached picture 6933995-October27003.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 04:11 PM

Quote:

Cool! Exactly the kind of thing my husband and I have thought about building. What part of Northern Michigan?

Antrim County, which is NE of Traverse City.

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 04:12 PM

Pic 4:

Attached picture 6934001-October27015.JPG
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 04:14 PM

Quote:

Nice area! My brother has a house near Charlevoix.

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 04:14 PM

Pic 5:

Attached picture 6934005-November132011003.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 04:16 PM

Pic 6:

Attached picture 6934006-001.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 04:16 PM

Pic 7:Me freezing my ars off!

Attached picture 6934008-002.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 04:18 PM

Pic 8:

Attached picture 6934014-018.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 04:21 PM

Pic 9:

Attached picture 6934026-November132011009.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 04:22 PM

Pic 10:

Attached picture 6934028-005.JPG
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 04:26 PM

That is awesome! Being a single guy I would love to have a Garage Mahal with a small apartment above it!

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 04:28 PM

Pic 11:

Attached picture 6934040-DSC00682.jpg
Posted By: Wagonmaster

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 04:29 PM

Quote:

Pic 11:

Very nice view!!!

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 04:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nice area! My brother has a house near Charlevoix.

We're building not too far southeast of there.

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 04:37 PM

Pic 12: Up-North Michigan begins North of this sign!

Attached picture 6934059-CampSept.9015.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 04:47 PM

This is a link to the prints we found and modified to fit our needs: http://houseplansandmore.com/projectplans/projectplan009D-7504.aspx We’re building it in reverse to the picture shown. I loved the oval window over the kitchen sink. However, we couldn’t find one that opened, so we went with a rectangular window.
Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 05:29 PM

Awesome!!!

As they say, it's cheaper to build up than it is to build out.

I've been trying to build one like that myself on our back acreage but the wife knows it would be that last she'd see of me.
Posted By: Pool Fixer

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 05:37 PM

Quote:

That is awesome! Being a single guy I would love to have a Garage Mahal with a small apartment above it!

I think I'd become single to live in that. Awesome!

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 06:00 PM

Quote:

Awesome!!!

As they say, it's cheaper to build up than it is to build out.

I've been trying to build one like that myself on our back acreage but the wife knows it would be that last she'd see of me.

Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 06:27 PM

Bill - that is AWESOME!! How far is it from Ludington? Maybe we can take a ride up there next summer when we come to visit for our annual week on the lake. Actually, I think we are going to spend 2 weeks in a row. Just can never get ehough of it.

Man - that is sure nice.

-E
Posted By: 6PACMAC

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 06:32 PM

Looks Great! Keep plugging away! What kind of heating set up are you going to use?

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 06:39 PM

Quote:

Looks Great! Keep plugging away! What kind of heating set up are you going to use?

We're going with a Rheem LP furnace and central air along with a wood stove. I checked into geothermal heat, but it cost too much.

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 06:51 PM

Quote:

Bill - that is AWESOME!! How far is it from Ludington? Maybe we can take a ride up there next summer when we come to visit for our annual week on the lake. Actually, I think we are going to spend 2 weeks in a row. Just can never get ehough of it.

Man - that is sure nice.

-E

Eric, you should try to do that next summer. It's a 130 mile north of Ludsville. Maybe we'll have finished it by then. Antrim County (where we're building) is right up your alley. It sports "five-hundred square miles of watershed." Check it out here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elk_River_Chain_of_Lakes_Watershed
The lake across the road from us is chuck full of walleye! And Torch Lake has the most beautiful colored water! Guaranteed, once you visit there--you'll say goodbye to Ludington as your prime vacation spot. I think you can go 30 plus miles one way in your boat through the lakes and canal system before hitting a damn. Torch Lake alone is 26 miles long. By the way, I’m definitely in the market for a power boat to put in one of the garage bays beside the Chally.
Posted By: peabodyracing

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 06:58 PM

Fantastic looking place. Well done!

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 08:41 PM

Thanks TheBlueBeast, OhioMopar, Wagonmaster, Dean Kuzluzski, dkn1997, 6PACMAC, and peabodyracing!
Posted By: Edison62

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 09:02 PM

Wow... that is one cool place. I'd love to build something like that but my knees couldn't handle the stairs ever day. I'd need a lift...lol!

Congrats....

Bryan
Posted By: MidPenMopar

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 09:16 PM

NICE!!! Hope you got insulated doors!

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 09:27 PM

Quote:

Wow... that is one cool place. I'd love to build something like that but my knees couldn't handle the stairs ever day. I'd need a lift...lol!

Congrats....

Bryan

Bryan, I’m sure I’ll regret all the stairs someday. I must have already gone up and down them 500 times. We hope to move up there someday. And when we do, I plan to build a single story home onto the garage.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 09:28 PM

Quote:

NICE!!! Hope you got insulated drawls

There I fixed it for you

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 09:32 PM

Quote:

NICE!!! Hope you got insulated doors!

We did including the double-doors to the laundry room on the ground floor.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 09:32 PM

Looking good, I was expecting more of one of those kits you can buy thats more of a barn style. I always wanted to do something like this and may some day if I don't buy the house from my dad.
Posted By: NAS Backyard

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 11:41 PM

Man that is nice! And there's nothing wrong with northern MI either.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/24/11 11:52 PM

Quote:

I agree the shop/apartment is cool.... Now nothing wrong with Northern Michigan.. I disagree..

Attached picture 6934652-Minnesota-blizzard.jpeg
Posted By: Aero426

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/25/11 12:31 AM

Very nice!
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/25/11 06:25 AM

Awesome indeed! Can you share how much $$ you are into this for? I am looking to do a similar master suite over a 2 bay garage that would be connected by a short elevated hallway to my smallish Cape Cod.

I want geothermal also, but a wood stove/ pellet stove should heat what you have with no trouble.
Posted By: daniel_depetro

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/25/11 08:39 AM

Quote:

It does? I always figured it started at the bridge.
Posted By: NAS Backyard

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/25/11 09:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree the shop/apartment is cool.... Now nothing wrong with Northern Michigan.. I disagree..

Randy , I meant that in a "nobody will be bothering me way the eff up here" kind of way.....
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/25/11 10:00 AM

You can bet I won't..

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/25/11 11:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

It does? I always figured it started at the bridge.

Not for us trolls who live below the bridge! Though we do love the U.P.and try to vacation up there once a year, Antrim County is a wonderful slice of America!

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/25/11 11:24 AM

Quote:

Awesome indeed! Can you share how much $$ you are into this for? I am looking to do a similar master suite over a 2 bay garage that would be connected by a short elevated hallway to my smallish Cape Cod.

I want geothermal also, but a wood stove/ pellet stove should heat what you have with no trouble.

Check your mail.
Posted By: notnxs383

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/25/11 01:42 PM

I was thinking the same. Bought a $1400 lot that has a 1 car g at the back. Your set up would work really well up front.

Nice work, nice plan. Do you mind copy me on that pm? thanks, Mike
Posted By: B Dartman

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/25/11 02:29 PM

Looks awesome! Out of curiousity, how do you plan to manaage the cold garage under the living space? Will you heat the garage too or insulate the floor?

It gets quite cold here in Kansas and our walls have a blown-in insulation which does a great job filling any voids you can't get too with rolled insulation.

See ya got it shingled quickly too. Once you get the roof and siding done you are in good shape for winter!

Again, looks great and keep the picts coming!
Posted By: BigBird

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/25/11 02:43 PM

Looks like a nice set up. I thought about doing the same when I was younger. Build a nice shop and live upstairs. Then I got married and that got vetoed. Worked out better in the long run anyway.

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/25/11 04:07 PM

Quote:

Looks awesome! Out of curiousity, how do you plan to manaage the cold garage under the living space? Will you heat the garage too or insulate the floor?

We're going to have the floor trusses (18" deep) blown full of insulation after the plumbing heat/cold-air-runs and electrical are finished. I need to drywall the ceiling of the garage and leave a 4-foot section of drywall out down the center of the ceiling. This is so the insulating company can blow it in both ways. They then net and fill the void before I finishing hanging the drywall.
Posted By: Kidsixpack

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/25/11 05:38 PM

Bill
That really looks great! We have been looking around for something with some space. A garage like that would be perfect! Very attractive from all angles!
KID
Posted By: B Dartman

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/25/11 05:59 PM

Quote:

We're going to have the floor trusses (18" deep) blown full of insulation after the plumbing heat/cold-air-runs and electrical are finished. I need to drywall the ceiling of the garage and leave a 4-foot section of drywall out down the center of the ceiling. This is so the insulating company can blow it in both ways. They then net and fill the void before I finishing hanging the drywall.

Posted By: wingman

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/25/11 07:06 PM

Looks great!

Remember not to run your engines in there on cold days. Carbon monodxide kills every winter!
Posted By: Sponge

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/25/11 09:05 PM

Going to ad this to my favorites.
Posted By: David_in_St_Croi

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/26/11 03:53 AM

Quote:

Me and my wife our building this in Northern Michigan, on a recreational piece of property we own. I was going to build a pole bar and continue using our camper until we could afford to build a cabin. But this design allows living space and storage for the toys for a price we can afford. We just got back from working on it. I worked one day from 4:00 in the morning til 6:00 at night screwing deck boards down during a nasty snow storm. We’re trying to do as much work on it ourselves as we can to save money. We hope to have it sided and weathered in by the first week of December.

Boy can we relate. Building a similar layout here on St. Croix now, will eventually be my yacht design office/guest house over the garage/shop. That is, if we can ever afford to build the main house.

One question, is there any steel in that pour???? I guess you don't get hurricanes and earthquakes like we do.

Good luck with the project, we will be up early sanding, wood oiling, routing, screwing, gluing, sawing on ours tomorrow.

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/26/11 12:33 PM

Quote:

One question, is there any steel in that pour???? I guess you don't get hurricanes and earthquakes like we do.

We did put re-rod in the footings, and believe it or not –metal hurricane clips are required on all roof trusses by the Michigan building codes. They fasten the trusses to the walls.
Posted By: David_in_St_Croi

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/26/11 01:41 PM

Cool, makes sense on the clips. A winter blizzard with gale force winds would most definitely not be the time to lose the roof.

Looking good.
Posted By: jrwoodjoe

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/26/11 03:30 PM

That is really neat. I looked at some plans for something like that a year or so ago when my wife and I found a piece of property we were interested in buying. It was sold just mins. before we were going to make an offer and then back on the market for twice as much 10 days later.

We still may do something like that in the future so I can't wait to see more progress pics. BTW, pic 11 is very nice.

Joe
Posted By: Steve340

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/27/11 06:09 AM

How thick do they require the garage sheet rock be on the ceiling for a fire block?
Posted By: GetAwayDriver

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/27/11 05:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Congrats....

Bryan

Bryan, I’m sure I’ll regret all the stairs someday. I must have already gone up and down them 500 times. We hope to move up there someday. And when we do, I plan to build a single story home onto the garage.

Well that solves the only issue/question I saw with a very nice-looking setup. Enjoy.

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 11/27/11 09:53 PM

Quote:

How thick do they require the garage sheet rock be on the ceiling for a fire block?

5/8th sheet rock is required for a fire block.

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/03/11 01:10 AM

Latest progress pics #1

Attached picture 6947609-Dec.22011010.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/03/11 01:11 AM

Attached picture 6947612-Dec.22011003.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/03/11 01:11 AM

Attached picture 6947617-Dec.22011006.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/03/11 01:12 AM

Attached picture 6947620-Dec.22011005.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/03/11 01:17 AM

The builders lost control of one of their ladders during a wind storm before it fell into our camper! Their insurance company will be getting a bill!

Attached picture 6947628-Dec.22011002.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/03/11 01:28 AM

The Hemi leaving camp with our camper. The Hemi is one pulling machine! However, it sucked gas on the way home like a thirsty camel drinking water.

Attached picture 6947650-Dec.22011013.JPG
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/03/11 03:56 AM

Lookin good! You better get some sealer over that hole they knocked in your camper if you haven't already. I keep a small roll of Eternabond in our camper for just such emergencies.

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/03/11 01:03 PM

Quote:

Lookin good! You better get some sealer over that hole they knocked in your camper if you haven't already. I keep a small roll of Eternabond in our camper for just such emergencies.

Great idea!

I’m hauling our camper to the place we bought from this morning. They need to replace the awning I broke this spring when I decided to empty the water that had collected on it during a heavy rain by releasing a support arm to the awning to lower one side. Not a good move! There must have been 800lbs of water that I couldn’t hold. The support broke free from my hands and slammed against the trailer. The long aluminum tube that the awning rolls around broke in half. I did $1300 dollars of damage in less than a second! My insurance company paid, but I still had to pay my $600 dollar deductible. Now I need to get a bid for the ladder damage and have them fix that. Thankfully the contractor’s insurance company is getting this bill. The damaged panels have part of the stripes to the side graphics on them. I bet the stripe package alone is big money. Not to mention the labor for changing two panels.

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/04/11 06:05 PM

Yep...labor for those 2 panels won't be cheap, cause they'll have to remove every panel from the top down to fix those 2! At least they can put the labor to R&R the awning attachments on the bill with the siding. That will save you a few bucks with the deductible. Good luck with it.

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/06/11 11:29 PM

Quote:

Yep...labor for those 2 panels won't be cheap, cause they'll have to remove every panel from the top down to fix those 2!

You were right! The rv service department wrote up an estimate to repair the ladder damage, and it ended up being over $1,700 dollars.

Sadly, I also found out the roof of our 2007 camper had been leaking. And apparently for quite some time (news to us) since some of the plywood under the rubber roof liner has rotted. They told me $700 to $900 dollars to fix that mess.

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/06/11 11:31 PM

Fresh pic 1

Attached picture 6954196-DSC00789.jpg

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/06/11 11:32 PM

Fresh Pic 2

Attached picture 6954198-DSC00791.jpg

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/06/11 11:34 PM

Fresh pic 3

Attached picture 6954200-DSC00790.jpg

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/07/11 03:55 AM

Dang....hate that about the roof! The rubber must still be good and can be saved. We had to put a new rubber roof and 2 pieces of plywood on our 5th wheel, and it was $3200. On a happier note...it looks like your siding folks are rockin on!

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/10/11 11:28 PM

Things are finally starting to come together on our up-north project. Last week, the furnace and a/c were finished. The gas company delivered and installed our LP tank. The power company trenched in the power and hooked it up to the cottage/garage. In addition, the water line was buried from the cottage/garage to the well before being hooked up. And the vinyl siding is about done. Lots of wiring was also completed. This week, the rough plumbing will hopefully be finished, and the chimney for a woodstove should be done. Insulation and drywall will be going in soon!

Attached picture 6960709-DSC00792.jpg
Posted By: 79powerwagon

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/10/11 11:37 PM

That is really nicely done!

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/24/11 04:55 PM

The siding crew finally finshed siding and trimming yesterday!
Pic 1

Attached picture 6982418-DSC00808.jpg

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/24/11 04:57 PM

pic 2

Attached picture 6982421-DSC00810.jpg

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/24/11 04:58 PM

pic 3

Attached picture 6982424-DSC00811.jpg

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/24/11 04:59 PM

pic 4

Attached picture 6982426-DSC00813.jpg

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/24/11 05:01 PM

pic 5

Attached picture 6982433-Dec.222011010.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/24/11 05:03 PM

pic 6

Attached picture 6982435-Dec.222011030.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/24/11 05:07 PM

Last one

Drywall crew starts hanging board Monday.

Attached picture 6982439-Dec.222011031.JPG
Posted By: carcrazyguy

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/24/11 05:12 PM

Looks good! My wife and I almost went the same route. The one we looked at was a 4 car with upstairs living quarters on 5 acres.

Attached picture 6982447-4carGarage-Upstairsliving.jpg

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/24/11 06:16 PM

Quote:

Looks good! My wife and I almost went the same route. The one we looked at was a 4 car with upstairs living quarters on 5 acres.

That's one good looking barn!
Posted By: carcrazyguy

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/24/11 07:30 PM

Quote:

That's one good looking barn!

It was really nice. We knew that if we bought it. We would build a house in the not so distant future on the land. So we looked at a about 5-6 other "turnkey" places (house and shop already built). If all goes well we will be closing mid-Feb!

Keep the pics coming of your place. It is looking really nice!!

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/27/11 11:28 PM

New pic 1

Attached picture 6987069-Dec262011014.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/27/11 11:32 PM

another

Attached picture 6987075-Dec262011018.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/27/11 11:37 PM

The rough plumbing, framing, electrical and mechanical is finished. The drywall crew put the lid in the upstairs today. Insulation crew is coming tomorrow to blow in the attack and insulate the floor.

Attached picture 6987083-Dec262011028.JPG
Posted By: brads70

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/27/11 11:38 PM

Looks great! I'd love to have something like that someday! Good for you!

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/27/11 11:39 PM

Drywall is finally going up!

Attached picture 6987085-DSC00857.jpg

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/27/11 11:41 PM

Quote:

Looks great! I'd love to have something like that someday! Good for you!

Thanks brads70!

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/27/11 11:44 PM

Last one for now until more work is done

Attached picture 6987096-Dec262011016.JPG
Posted By: MRVCODE

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 12/28/11 12:44 AM

Looks awesome! Enjoy filling it with as many Mopars as possible...then you will need another one:)

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 01/17/12 01:16 AM

Insulation is in, and the drywall is up. Now, we are just waiting for the drywall crew to finish mudding the walls and putting the knock-down on the ceilings. Can't wait to start painting!

Attached picture 7022172-DSC00898.jpg

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 01/17/12 01:17 AM

Another drywall pic

Attached picture 7022174-DSC00902.jpg

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 01/17/12 01:19 AM

Last one

Attached picture 7022176-DSC00906.jpg
Posted By: 72N96RR

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 01/17/12 01:35 AM

I have friends that built in Gladwin..Just a small little 5500 square foot cottage... ...Its beautiful and the 180 acres its on was left to them by thier rich gramps instead of giving them cash..
Anyways they built a garage under a living space and they now wish they would have made a few corrections..Insulate the heck out of the area between the garage and rooms above..Not only for fumes but if they are bedrooms above you hear freaking everything that happens in the garage when trying to sleep..We go out hunting before light and the women folk complain of the noise we make in the garage..Its a real issue in that home so take it for what it is..You have a beautiful place..!!

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 01/17/12 01:59 AM

Quote:

Anyways they built a garage under a living space and they now wish they would have made a few corrections..Insulate the heck out of the area between the garage and rooms above..Not only for fumes but if they are bedrooms above you hear freaking everything that happens in the garage when trying to sleep.

To keep the floors warm and the noise down--I had the entire space of the floor trusses blown full of sound deadening insulation.
Posted By: MopowerGal

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 01/17/12 02:08 AM

I love it. I would just have to move it a few hundred miles south. Cool idea. We've been planning a shop and this is much better than anything we've seen/thought of. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: N9671X2

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 01/17/12 04:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Anyways they built a garage under a living space and they now wish they would have made a few corrections..Insulate the heck out of the area between the garage and rooms above..Not only for fumes but if they are bedrooms above you hear freaking everything that happens in the garage when trying to sleep.

To keep the floors warm and the noise down--I had the entire space of the floor trusses blown full of sound deadening insulation.

Did you hang the sheet rock on the garage ceiling and then blow in insulation from above?

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 01/17/12 10:37 AM

Quote:

Did you hang the sheet rock on the garage ceiling and then blow in insulation from above?

No, the drywall went on the garage ceiling first. However, the drywallers left sheets of sheetrock off select spots, so the insulation crew could insulate. Then the insulation crew blew in the insulation from where the sheetrock was missing. They net the area with a fiberglass mesh where the drywall was missing to hold up the insulation. Lastly, the drywall crew came back and installed the missing pieces of sheetrock.
Posted By: jrwoodjoe

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 01/17/12 07:04 PM

Been awhile since I visited this thread. WOW, that looks GREAT! Seriously digging on it.

Joe

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 01/26/12 01:31 AM

The drywall is finished and primed. Now its time to start painting!

Attached picture 7037042-022.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 01/26/12 01:33 AM

Picture of kitchen. Cabinets will be delivered next week.

Attached picture 7037044-001.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 02/04/12 01:05 PM

Kitchen Cabinets just got delivered. I'm letting them adjust to the humidity for a few days before I install them.

Attached picture 7052797-002.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 02/04/12 01:07 PM

Our temp kitchen.

Attached picture 7052799-005.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 02/04/12 01:21 PM

The plumbing was finished last week, so we have a working bathroom. That was big! We put in three long days of work. I finished wiring the place inside and out, and even managed to get most of the lighting installed and all of the smoke detectors. I also hung a 50” plasma TV and installed and wired a surround sound system. My wife painted nonstop and got a lot of the painting done.

Attached picture 7052804-003.JPG
Posted By: 79powerwagon

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 02/04/12 02:06 PM

I'm awfully envious of this whole project!

Someday...

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 02/04/12 04:14 PM

Looks good. You've done a lot of work in a fairly short time. I see the puppy dog got the front row center spot with the bed!
Posted By: Shoozy

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 02/04/12 04:24 PM

This is a very cool build. Keep the updates coming please.

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 02/04/12 05:25 PM

Quote:

I see the puppy dog got the front row center spot with the bed!

That's our spoiled girl "Mocha." The pic is of her playing catch the snowball. She also likes to take out snowmen, and she will cut down any she sees standing:

Short video of her in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D78Uv5Psj...mp;feature=plcp

Attached picture 7053081-013.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 02/04/12 05:32 PM

Furnace:

Attached picture 7053102-023.JPG
Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 02/04/12 11:07 PM

That's really cool. I wouldn't mind that being my entire place! Good idea!

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 02/10/12 09:39 PM

We installed the kitchen cabinets this week.

Attached picture 7064256-CottageFeb10017.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 02/10/12 09:40 PM

Kitchen pic #2

Attached picture 7064259-CottageFeb10016.JPG
Posted By: Kidsixpack

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 02/10/12 11:32 PM

Bill
It sure is coming along nicely! Looks fantastic!
KID
Posted By: 68HemiB

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 02/11/12 01:41 AM

Just to review the priorities:

1. Working bathroom
2. 50" plasma TV
3. Kitchen cabinets

You must be so totally bored with the "That is awesome, I am so jealous" comments by now.

(That is awesome, and I am jealous.)
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 02/11/12 07:20 AM

Nice job Bill. My hat is off to your wife for doing so much of the painting. I HATE painting like that!! We were going to paint our house inside back when it was built 6 years ago. I took a week & all we got done was fill & sand the nail holes in the trim & caulk upstairs. That's when I realized it was WAAAAY more work than I thought. I found a crew to paint the whole inside of the house for $2,600 - we supplied the paint. They got it done in a little over a week. Best $2,600 we ever spent.
Posted By: 64Post

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 02/11/12 09:05 AM

I love in-progress construction pics, they make my naughty place warm and tingly.

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 02/11/12 11:19 AM

Bathroom:

Attached picture 7065319-CottageFeb10015.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 02/11/12 11:22 AM

Guest Bedroom

Attached picture 7065320-CottageFeb10007.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 02/11/12 11:23 AM

Master Bedroom:

Attached picture 7065321-CottageFeb10011.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 02/11/12 11:26 AM

Thanks Everyone!!! More progress pics coming

Attached picture 7065322-CottageFeb10002.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 02/17/12 08:26 PM

We just got back home from working all week on our project. This week my wife managed to finish most of the painting while I laid the kitchen flooring before I finished installing the kitchen cabinets and installing all the pulls. I also hung one door, a hanging lamp, and installed all the jamb extensions. We also got our refrigerator delivered this week.

Attached picture 7076293-CottagepicsFeb.16022.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 02/17/12 08:30 PM

Kitchen

Attached picture 7076301-CottagepicsFeb.16049.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 02/17/12 08:31 PM

Laundry-room in garage:

Attached picture 7076303-CottagepicsFeb.16025.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 02/17/12 08:33 PM

Bathroom

Attached picture 7076306-CottagepicsFeb.16015.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 02/17/12 08:35 PM

Master bedroom painted:

Attached picture 7076309-CottagepicsFeb.16050.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 02/17/12 08:38 PM

Last progress pictures until I and some more:

Attached picture 7076313-CottagepicsFeb.16044.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 02/23/12 08:41 PM

Laid hardwood in the living room yesterday.

Attached picture 7086743-Feb232012009.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 02/23/12 08:45 PM

And I trimmed most of the windows.

Attached picture 7086748-Feb232012015.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 03/10/12 10:16 PM

Staircase:I still need to trim the window and door, stain the hand rail, and carpet the staircase before this area is finished.

Attached picture 7112414-002.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 03/10/12 10:21 PM

Laid Swiftlock flooring in the smaller bedroom this week.

Attached picture 7112419-007.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 03/10/12 10:31 PM

I'm down to less than a day of work doing some trim work before I'm done with my work on it. That will just leave getting carpet installed in the master bedroom and staircase along with waiting for the kitchen counter top to be installed.

I can't wait to drive the Challenger up there before parking it in the garage sometime this spring!

Attached picture 7112428-017.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 03/17/12 01:24 PM

North of the 45th Parallel: Here is a photographic progression of the cottage I have been building in Northern Michigan.

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c245/gingerone/The%20Cottage/?start=0
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 03/17/12 08:29 PM

Quote:

This is a Private Album

Please enter the password from album gingerone to view this private album.

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 03/18/12 05:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This is a Private Album

Please enter the password from album gingerone to view this private album.

Fixed: http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c245/gingerone/The%20Cottage/
Posted By: RUMBLON

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 03/18/12 05:41 PM

What a great job, great looking place. Im heading to our Idaho property to pour 1680 sq ft of concrete in my new shop and then return later i the summer to enclose it. It includes and small 480 bunk house, a place to stay when we build. Your post has inspired me to get on it.

GREAT JOB ONCE AGAIN.

RUMBLON

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 03/18/12 05:53 PM

Quote:

What a great job, great looking place. Im heading to our Idaho property to pour 1680 sq ft of concrete in my new shop and then return later i the summer to enclose it. It includes and small 480 bunk house, a place to stay when we build. Your post has inspired me to get on it.

GREAT JOB ONCE AGAIN.

RUMBLON

Northern Idaho is beautiful! My parents now live in Coeur d' Alene and my sister lives in Rathdrum.
Posted By: RUMBLON

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 03/18/12 06:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

GREAT JOB ONCE AGAIN.

RUMBLON

Im only 90 miles North of Boise Idaho. Cambridge. Its cattle country. I have 175 acres there. Sorry for the large amount of pics, as I just cut and pasted this from another thread. But we are doing what you are doing. I own the property outright and everything I do is out of pocket.

This pole barn was gong to be just that a barn, Now the side boards are comign down and concret is going in. Them conventional framing on the pad and it wil be a shop.

Rumblon

Its tall grass/ cattle country and includes a approx 2 acre pond we did.

IM having one of these put in for entry way in a few weeks when the weather cleans and enclosing our pole barn that 1680 sq ft that I started a few years ago. That's my new hotrod shop. I have 3500 sq ft now, so this will be downsizing. But as I get older, les is more, except for the land.

AS you can see the grass get very tall-- cattle country and we are going to raise cattle and a few Bison in selected areas with reinforced fencing.
This is at the top end of the property. Its 9/10ths of a mile long and pretty much all grass.

Northern Idaho is beautiful! My parents now live in Coeur d' Alene and my sister lives in Rathdrum.

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 03/19/12 12:52 AM

What a beautiful setting and a great bug-out-location, Rumblon.

Nothing wrong with downsizing, I live in about a 3600 sq ft home now, and am looking forward to moving into the rather small place I’m currently building. The home I live in now will suck a tank of propane a month during a bitter cold winter. But the place I’m building has barely used 10% in over 2 months of heating. It won’t even use that once I install a wood stove. I plan on high fencing (to keep the deer out) and planting a large garden this spring. I’m also looking into making my own power. I would love to produce my own electricity.
Posted By: OldHippie

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 03/21/12 05:05 PM

Do you have a "view" of any of the lakes? My parents had, until they passed, a place on the West side of Torch Lake about a mile or so North of the South end of the lake.
Great looking place!

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 03/24/12 09:35 PM

Quote:

Do you have a "view" of any of the lakes? My parents had, until they passed, a place on the West side of Torch Lake about a mile or so North of the South end of the lake.
Great looking place!

That sounds like it was near the sand bar? That location is still a great party spot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXxxyn24Kbg

Torch Lake info: http://www.fishweb.com/maps/antrim/chain-o-lakes/index.html
Posted By: OldHippie

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 03/27/12 03:48 PM

The sand bar was along Chrystal Beach Road from the Bridge/Breakwater going to the East. Our place was on West Torch Lake Drive maybe a tad over half way to Deep Water Point, on the Lake. I recall that area before the Breakwater was ever installed and the Bridge was one lane. Do not ask my opinion of some of the people that partied on that Sand Bar. It is too bad neither my brother or myself could afford to have kept that place. On the other hand I did not want to listen to Jet Ski's and Wave Runner's 14-16 hours a day from May 'till September.

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 03/31/12 02:05 AM

Quote:

On the other hand I did not want to listen to Jet Ski's and Wave Runner's 14-16 hours a day from May 'till September.

That would drive me nuts too!

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 03/31/12 02:11 AM

I started and finished the rear deck this week.

Attached picture 7143459-005.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 03/31/12 02:13 AM

deck pic 2

Attached picture 7143468-Dec262011009.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 03/31/12 02:15 AM

deck pic 3

Attached picture 7143477-Dec262011002.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 03/31/12 02:17 AM

And the kitchen counter was installed this week. Running water at the kitchen sink is really awesome. No more schlepping water from the bathroom to do dishes.

Attached picture 7143487-009.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 03/31/12 02:20 AM

My 1946 Old Town Sponson now parked in its new stall.

Attached picture 7143491-013.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 03/31/12 02:21 AM

canoe pic

Attached picture 7143495-IMG_0988.jpg

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 03/31/12 02:24 AM

I need to pour the approach before I can park the purple beast in its spot.

Attached picture 7143501-003.JPG

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 03/31/12 06:37 PM

Why was this thread moved here from the General Forum? After all this is not a Surviver or Mopar project as per Moparts thread posting rules: https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post4831787

Just wondering why?
Posted By: UCUDANT

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 04/02/12 08:53 PM

Quote:

Why was this thread moved here......
Just wondering why?

don't ask for logic here and nice place BTW
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 04/02/12 10:01 PM

1Fast, beautiful!
The only suggestion I have is to extend the deck down that side and along the front where the garage doors are.
It will give you some shade in the driveway and you could maybe even include an extra beam so you could lift out an engine or pull a load out of a truck bed. More deck space is always nice too!

Re: I’m building a 3-stall garage with living space above - 04/15/12 06:50 PM

Thanks everyone! We had our final inspections last week and passed all of them--getting our occupancy permit. I still need to pour the concrete approach and improve our makeshift driveway before I can take the Chally to its new home.

Attached picture 7165820-010.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums