Moparts

74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware!

Posted By: Challenger 1

74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/04/07 12:48 PM

Well it's time to save this car. I purchased it from a guy in N.J. real close to N.Y. city. Anyone know the car?? I bought it about three years ago and used it for parts. Last year I decided that I would "save it" and not part it out/sell it. It is a 318 car, I'm not sure what I'm gonna put in it when I'm done. It started out being stored under a awning but now the last 18 months it's been out in the weather. I could'nt stand to see it sit there anymore. It was a complete running car until last Sunday when I offically started this resto. It's gonna need quite a bit of sheet metal before I even think about paint. Anyway please follow along as I rebuild this thing. I have many photos of ever part of the car before I even touched it. I use photo bucket to store these pictures and will allow access to those pictures for anyone interested. Thanks Moparts.

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 10/04/07 12:51 PM

Have fun!!

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 10/04/07 12:59 PM

Thanks, it'll be fun I'm sure.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 10/04/07 01:06 PM

I'm making a point to spend at least a little time on it everyday if I can.

Still has the factory quarters on the car which are gonna be replaced.
Posted By: RonTheAnnouncer

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 10/04/07 01:20 PM

Maybe a way cool back halved pro streeter?
That's what I see when I look at it, but it isn't mine!
Posted By: 6T6Cuda

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 10/04/07 03:14 PM

So your going to start on it...

GOOD LUCK...

BTW: I am still working on the '73, I have learned SOOOO much... I think I am close to getting the info needed to make it run well...

I need to get back on the '67 'vert...

Good luck with the new project...

RAR II

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 10/06/07 01:51 PM

Hello everyone,
Spent some time on this car each nite this week. It's been great weather for outside work, just like Aug in Oct!

Did most of the work in the dark out behind my garage, very messy and lots of rust.

I removed the motor and tranny Thurs nite. I have everything else loose underneath,front and rear spring hanger brackets,U bolts.Pretty much anything else that screws on has been soaked in solvent to loosen without hurting it.

Then today I wake to this, I'm gonna take it all apart today,grill,valance panels etc.

I did clean up last nite before bed, I get to start clean today.
Posted By: resqguy

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/06/07 02:27 PM

Hey, what kind of lift is that in the one picture?

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/06/07 02:51 PM

Quote:

Hey, what kind of lift is that in the one picture?

Ironically it's Challenger Brand portable mid rise lift. Definelity helps.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/09/07 03:14 AM

Good evening everyone,
Saturday I disassembled the front and rear valance panels, front headlite header and grill. Then I pressure washed everything before inspection. I've bagged and tagged a ton of stuff, it's getting tricky finding a place for eveything. The car still has the front and rear suspention under it soon to be on the rotisserie. This car was originaly red with one black paint job on top. I was playing around tonite see how easy everything was gonna come off so I can decide what sheet metal to get. This was a quickie cleaning so it's reasonably clean when I pull the K member and such. Before washing:

After, Most of the undercoating came off allowing very light media blasting to clean it up.
] Got to go. More later.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/09/07 04:44 AM

wow, you're making some darn good progress done there. Makes me feel bad for getting jack squat done lately, lol.
Posted By: JonsGottaDusta

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/09/07 05:33 AM

Thats looking good! My dad and I are finally getting to the building up process. Finished stripping the floors to bare metal tonight, then applied POR-15 to them.

Good Luck!
Posted By: 0791challenger

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/09/07 06:06 AM

My next project is gonna get hauled 3 hrs to Cinci and dropped off at your house!!

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/10/07 02:58 PM

Quote:

My next project is gonna get hauled 3 hrs to Cinci and dropped off at your house!!

B

Bring it on, I'll take it.
Thanks

Last nite I took the K and rear end out of it. Got a few more things to unbolt and it is stripped. I may mount it on the spit tonite for a preliminary pressure washing before I pull out the blaster. Plan is to partially blast some of the bottem and such, then take it off the spit and set up for sheet metal replacement. After all that is done then the whole thing will get a blasting.

Here's my work space,I'm luckier than most, not near as nice as some peoples work space.
Posted By: PocketThunder

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/10/07 04:56 PM

Damn dude you are not wasting any time. Keep up the full head of steam..

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/13/07 06:37 PM

Hello everyone!

Another beautiful day here in Cincy. I got this thing on the spit Weds nite. I ran into a little trouble going from the lift to the rotisserie. Had to do it a couple times till I got it right. Took Thurs and last nite off and bought a Durango with a Hemi!

Today I'm gonna remove the undercoat, I'll post pictures in a few hours.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/13/07 07:49 PM

Ok here it is, this is only about a 1/4 of the way done. You can see the factory primer and over spray.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b260/c...65S.jpg[/image]
Posted By: 71sat440

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/13/07 09:07 PM

Looks great What are you useing to take the undercoating off?

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/13/07 09:11 PM

Checkout the home made torque box on that rear spring mount. It's coming off and will get Harms boxes,

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/13/07 09:41 PM

I'm using a steam pressure washer. Took me about 3 1/2 hours this afternoon, luckly it's pretty nice out today, temperature wise. Tomorrow it's supposed to be even nicer and I plan on flipping it and doing the inside and alot of the outside. It'll strip the old black paint off. I blasted out the frame rails too.

Posted By: 340SIX

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/14/07 12:20 AM

wow thats a nice body Be a great parts car for my vert
Great work by the way and fast

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/14/07 12:54 AM

Quote:

wow thats a nice body Be a great parts car for my vert
Great work by the way and fast

Thanks,
Still have a long way to go. The bottem looked better than I thought it would. Lot's more hot water and dirt tomorrow. I changed shirts at least 5 times this afternoon and was filty when I got done, with a little muscle pump to go with it! I would'nt want to do it in 40 degree weather, that's for sure. I've been telling people to go rent a steam cleaner from the tool rental when it comes time to do this. Here's evidence, second car I've done this way.

Posted By: markz528

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/15/07 08:24 PM

Nice, but I'll get my quarters cut off first!

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/16/07 02:13 AM

Quote:

Nice, but I'll get my quarters cut off first!

OKkkkk, we'll see. I have to make some room to work before I get to cutting quarters off.

I cleaned out the inside including all the seam sealer, well most of it. Don't worry, I took alot of pictures, of before. There was a ton of sealer all over and I still did'nt get it all out. But it is very clean right now, inside and out. I think I'm gonna go right to panel replacement before any media blasting.

It's supposed to rain tonite, man I hope soo....

Well you all know that I'm been working out behind my garage outside. This thing is bare steel in a bunch of places, so temporally I was given permission to store it here till I move my other two challengers to make room for this. When my GF looks out the back bedroom window she see's the bottem of my car!! You know what my backyard looks like, it quite a site.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/16/07 10:57 AM

Making great progress!

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/16/07 12:35 PM

wow that steam cleaner reay works for getting the under coating and grime off
From looking at the news last night you also have perfect blasting weather. I love to blast

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/19/07 08:45 PM

Quote:

Making great progress!

Thanks everyone for looking. TGIF!!!
Drilled few spotwelds while it's on the spit. I only drilled a few because the cars not supported yet. Lots easier now than later. IMO Cleaned out the lead top and bottem. Gonna move it tomorrow and put it on jack stands. Then off comes the quarter and the trunk pan, ect. I've been cleaning out seam sealer out of the trunk this week too. They use at least two different kinds and one of them sticks pretty good, nothing a little heat won't take care of. Same with weather stripping, apply a little heat under the steel gutter and the old weather strip will come off in one piece. Hopefully I'm gonna put time in this this weekend, even though tomorrow's... you know what.

Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/19/07 09:46 PM

The steam cleaner thing is totally new to me. Had no idea it would blow off undercoating that way. I know it didn't happen in a moment, but that and rotisserie look to make extremely short work of an otherwise nagging, on your back scraping and eating dirt and guck job. Really great! Will you be soda blasting?

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/19/07 10:35 PM

Quote:

The steam cleaner thing is totally new to me. Had no idea it would blow off undercoating that way. I know it didn't happen in a moment, but that and rotisserie look to make extremely short work of an otherwise nagging, on your back scraping and eating dirt and guck job. Really great! Will you be soda blasting?

Yes it really works well, I plan on blasting the bottem and interior with coal slage and the outside with plastic media.

But I almost hate to refinsh the bottem because it is so clean.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/20/07 12:52 PM

Found a spot weld tip welded to the car,it was in the wheel well. It looked like someome shot it with a arrow head, I fiqured that what is was when I was cleaning the bottem. But the other nite I took a channel lock pliers and removed it, when I realized what it was. 6T6cuda was here when I removed it. It was stuck there since 1974 when they built the car! Then it looks like they missed the next welds in line on the car because the welder was missing a tip that day. I bet the line had to stop when they realized the spot welder wasn't working anymore. lol Here;s a picture of it in the wheel well before I cleaned the car.

Cars in the garage,I'm gonna remove a quarter today. Gold car is going to be moved.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/20/07 07:07 PM

Set the car up on four jackstands plus the four outer frame rails are still supported by the rotisseire. Took the old quarter off and test fitted the new one. Man what a relief, it fits good. I only have one vice grip holding it on but it is real close to where it needs to be.
I think I'm gonna go ahead a remove the other one along with the trunk floor. I have new trunk gutters and rear window filler, but I wanted to fit both quarters with the old parts first. Markz I got lucky I think.
<a

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/20/07 09:36 PM

Quote:

Markz I got lucky I think.

I hope so!

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/20/07 10:01 PM

Got the other side off. This is manuel labor! Who makes a special tool for this!!?? It's not cleaned up yet.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/23/07 07:57 PM

Well we been hoping for rain and we are getting it! 4" yesterday and a few inches more today and more tonite! Which has put a stop to my project till I can get rid of these cars. I've converted my back porch to a garage temporarily. I have a deal with my mother inlaw to install a garage door operator on one of her two garage door. In exchange I get to use the other side of her two car garage! My GF bought the operator today and I might go get started installing it tonite. I can move the car any time it quits raining. The other car is gonna get put down in my race shop once I get it all cleared out. Then I'll have my spacious two car garage to work in all this winter. I know alot of you guys would like to have my car storage problems. I need a bigger house and garage I guess. Until I move the gold car I won't do anything to the resto project, it's too close for comfort to work with it sitting there.

And then, Monday I had this treated lumber delivered for a 14'x22' awning over the slap next to my garage. Naturally it started raining 1/2 hour after the delivery guy left. So that is on hold too, till it's stops raining. That will be handy for equipment storage and such behind the garage when it's covered.

Markz528 got on me for not supporting the sills on the car during panel replacement. So I came up with this bottle jack setup that's offering a little more support. Hope everyone has a great week!
Posted By: Tom_440

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/23/07 08:01 PM

Quote:

I have a deal with my mother inlaw to install a garage door operator on one of her two garage door. In exchange I get to use the other side of her two car garage! My GF bought the operator today and I might go get started installing it tonite. [image]

Sorry to hear about the rain, but I'd be more worried about your mother in law finding out about your GF!

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/23/07 08:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have a deal with my mother inlaw to install a garage door operator on one of her two garage door. In exchange I get to use the other side of her two car garage! My GF bought the operator today and I might go get started installing it tonite. [image]

Sorry to hear about the rain, but I'd be more worried about your mother in law finding out about your GF!

I'm sorry, I must clarify. My GF is my X wife and her mother I still consider my motherinlaw.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/23/07 08:43 PM

I was thinking the same thing when ya said
Quote:

In exchange I get to use the other side of her two car garage! My GF bought the operator today and I might go get started installing it tonite.

wow he has a wife and a GF and no one cares

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/23/07 10:04 PM

Quote:

wow he has a wife and a GF and no one cares

I don't even wish that.
Posted By: hemiallen

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/24/07 02:25 AM

Excellent pictures.

It looks like you need the same part of the firewall I do, between the firewall electrical and the brake booster....

If you find 2 donor cars...LOL

Allen

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/24/07 11:25 AM

Quote:

Excellent pictures.

It looks like you need the same part of the firewall I do, between the firewall electrical and the brake booster....

If you find 2 donor cars...LOL

Allen

Thanks,

Yes, there is some rot on the firewall. Not sure what I'm gonna do about it yet. Seems like a doner car would be pretty expensive. I see Goodmark is going to repro that part but that will be big bucks too I'm sure. I just may weld some metal in there and be done with it. Can't really see it when the car is together anyway. I've been thinking about fiberglass and resin inside... no I don't want to do it that way?? Any suggestions???

Wait till tonite, I built something for the car last nite. Stay tuned.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/24/07 02:23 PM

BTW: I have a cowl / firewall from a '67 'dart 'vert in my back yard if some of it has the sections you need, I am not sure as the e-bodys are quite a bit different... but some patches might work...

RAR II
Posted By: jpilone

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/24/07 03:16 PM

Excellent progress in such a short time! bravo!!!
Posted By: Mark340A66

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/24/07 05:45 PM

Is this one going to threaten the 20 plus page mark like the gold car? LOL, I love it, hands-down the best Moparts post!

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/24/07 07:32 PM

Quote:

Is this one going to threaten the 20 plus page mark like the gold car? LOL, I love it, hands-down the best Moparts post!

This is getting the fired started to get me going on my '69 XX.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/24/07 11:10 PM

Quote:

BTW: I have a cowl / firewall from a '67 'dart 'vert in my back yard if some of it has the sections you need, I am not sure as the e-bodys are quite a bit different... but some patches might work...

RAR II

Hey appreciate the offer.

Thanks guys, I'm glad to share the progress.

Call me crazy, call me stupid or maybe silly. But I'm gonna blast some of the car right where it sits. I wanna do behind the quarters and prime it before I weld the quarters on. I don't want to move it, with no quarters, so this is what I came up with. It's not done yet, I'll use a squire cage blower to keep a negative pressure in there when I paint or blast which should help keep the dust in. I only have a few minutes of blasting to do, but the tent is neccessary even for a few minutes. I made it so I can slide it right out of the garage out of my way after blasting.Plus I may use it outside in the drive when it comes time to do the whole thing. I'm gonna go drill some more spot welds in the trunk now. Cya
Posted By: moparmojo

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/25/07 12:55 AM

I agree, you have provided some great posts. This one is looking pretty good too. I am learning a lot. What kind of rotisserie is that? I plan on doing a lot of panel replacement on my 70 Challenger and the 70 Charger will soon get some work soon too. I am learning as I go. So what ever you find that would be helpful,continue to post. I would appreciate it.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/26/07 03:56 AM

Good evening everyone,

I've drilled a few spot welds, well maybe a bunch. I got the rear deck filler out and both trunk gutters too.Tail light housing is off intact! I have about half of the trunk floor spots drilled, hopefully I'll have the trunk floor out tomorrow nite. Then once I get both outer wheel houses off I can start to put it back together. Here's a picture.

Posted By: VITC_GTX

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/26/07 04:02 AM

Awesome progress.

You make me feel quilty about not getting work done on my '69 Coronet 500. It's been sitting in bare metal for almost two years, and I don't need to replace any sheetmetal!!

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/27/07 12:04 AM

UUUUGGGGGHHHHHH????? And how are you going to be blasting in there without an air supplied respirator??????

Get that wallet out and spend some money where it counts!

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/27/07 12:15 AM

Quote:

UUUUGGGGGHHHHHH????? And how are you going to be blasting in there without an air supplied respirator??????

Get that wallet out and spend some money where it counts!

Funny you say that, I've been listening. I just spent some $$$ on safety.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/27/07 12:51 AM

Quote:

What kind of rotisserie is that?.

It's a Auto Twirler out of Indy, er nearby Indy.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/27/07 01:37 AM

No updated pics for almost 24 hours! you're slacking!! lol
Posted By: Hemiken

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/27/07 01:49 AM

Quote:

Good evening everyone,

I've drilled a few spot welds, well maybe a bunch. I got the rear deck filler out and both trunk gutters too.Tail light housing is off intact! I have about half of the trunk floor spots drilled, hopefully I'll have the trunk floor out tomorrow nite. Then once I get both outer wheel houses off I can start to put it back together. Here's a picture.

Excellant work
What spot drills are you using please and how much are they each.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/27/07 02:11 AM

??? is that the same car I saw... there is nothing left

I am curious how the rear section attaches to the body... I need a trunk floor in the '73 but I do not think I need to pull the entire rear end...

I agree about the blasting in a closed area... - not fun and I have been using the "old" blasting media (playground sand and sandblasting sand...)... that stuff sucks... - gets in your ears, eyes, everything.... - gotten smarter and whare a mask now, but still... don't see the coal slag local here anyware...

RAR II

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/27/07 08:09 AM

Quote:

??? is that the same car I saw... there is nothing left

I am curious how the rear section attaches to the body... I need a trunk floor in the '73 but I do not think I need to pull the entire rear end...

I agree about the blasting in a closed area... - not fun and I have been using the "old" blasting media (playground sand and sandblasting sand...)... that stuff sucks... - gets in your ears, eyes, everything.... - gotten smarter and whare a mask now, but still... don't see the coal slag local here anyware...

RAR II

Hi Rick,
Yes blasting is hard nasty work, I've always wore a sand blasting hood and that keeps it off of me. I get blasting media from Western Hills Builders Suppy. The used to have silica sand but for a few years now only sell Black Lighting(coal slage) It works really well and is pretty cheap. Your welcome to stop by anytime to check it out. I hope to get back to work on it latter today. I have all the new sheet metal here except for one frame rail reinforment for the front.

Later today I'll take a couple pictures of my spot weld cutters. How much they cost? I'm not sure, I'd have to look up a reciept being I've had them for a while now. More later, Thanks everyone.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/27/07 12:56 PM

Quote:

Funny you say that, I've been listening. I just spent some $$$ on safety.

Well about time!!!!!

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/27/07 01:01 PM

Quote:

Later today I'll take a couple pictures of my spot weld cutters. How much they cost?

You paid $75.45 delivered from Quimby. Generally they can be bought for around that price but I have seen then a few dollars cheaper on the internet, but not sure of the shipping costs for those.

Hougen and Blair are exactly the same cutters. Challenger and I have the Hougen cutters.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/27/07 01:20 PM

Hi, Can you post a picture of the cutter please. As i am in Australia and they may be called something different here than America. Is their any other name for these as i can look on e-bay aswell. Not trying to take over the thread but i will be doing the same method of panel replacement as Challenger125.
Thanks, Kenny.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/27/07 01:27 PM

Quote:

Hi, Can you post a picture of the cutter please. As i am in Australia and they may be called something different here than America. Is their any other name for these as i can look on e-bay aswell. Not trying to take over the thread but i will be doing the same method of panel replacement as Challenger125.
Thanks, Kenny.

Let's see if this link works:

hougen cutters

We use the 11075C kit.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/27/07 09:45 PM

Quote:

Thanks, Kenny.

No problem at all,glad to answer any questions that I can. Yup those are the cutters, they work very nice and have held up. I'm still on my first one, and I used it dry because when I tried using cutting oil I could'nt see as well.

Good News! I got the floor out,and the inside of the rear frame rails are solid with very little rust inside. Still have the outer wheel wells to get off.

I drilled the wire hanger straps off the drivers side gutter that will be spot welded to the new pieces. I was too cheap to buy a new spare tire mount so I have to strip it from the old floor still.
Gonna go get those outer wheel wells off now.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/27/07 09:47 PM

I've used these... they are nice as they drill around the spot weld.... I have the double sided one... about $16 or so and about 10-15 for a pack of 3 blades.

My local paint store has them as well...

http://www.blairequipment.com/Spotweld_Cutters/Spotweld_Cutters.html

If all you are doing is spot welds the double sided spot weld cutter is great, Challenger125 kit has a bunch of different sizes, which you might not need...

RAR II

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/27/07 09:50 PM

Quote:

I've used these... they are nice as they drill around the spot weld.... I have the double sided one... about $16 or so and about 10-15 for a pack of 3 blades.

My local paint store has them as well...

http://www.blairequipment.com/Spotweld_Cutters/Spotweld_Cutters.html

If all you are doing is spot welds the double sided spot weld cutter is great, Challenger125 kit has a bunch of different sizes, which you might not need...

RAR II

Good to know, paint store huh.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/27/07 10:21 PM

Automotive paint store, not lowes, or home depot...

My local KOI paint store down the road has the blades and the cutter, it is not a blair, but it looks exactly the same...

BTW when using these do not let them get cocked or the blades can shear off, sending the drill out to one side... - not fun...

RAR II

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/28/07 02:31 AM

I ground down all the welds and dollyed all flanges. I think I'm gonna only replace what is rusted on the outer wheel houses instead of taken em all the way out??? What do you guys think?

This is a very preliminary fit up. The trunk pan just fell in and fits good. The extensions as you may well know took some hammer and dolly work to get the floor gap good.

I definitly got to get more clamps. Everything is loose but things are lining up including the 56 5/8" width for the rear deck lid. I measured everything before I took it apart.

Posted By: FrankenScamp

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/28/07 03:11 AM

all this in just a couple days.....wow! Looks good(naturally). After the last Chally build we all watched you do, I'm sure this one will be a real beauty.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/28/07 11:36 AM

Quote:

all this in just a couple days.....wow! Looks good(naturally). After the last Chally build we all watched you do, I'm sure this one will be a real beauty.

Thanks FrankenScamp
I still have a long way to go.

I passed out last nite right after posting, was it all the work or the buds?? My muscles are aching this morning and my arms are hard from all the drilling last few days. Oh well, got lots more to do today.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/28/07 01:35 PM

Hey GT,
How many Challengers do you have..... Is their one under the car cover ? And have you thought of putting a 70 tail panel in instead of the later model rear while you have it in a way were it would be easy to do or are you happy with the 72-74 look. Just asking

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/28/07 02:17 PM

Quote:

Hey GT,
How many Challengers do you have..... Is their one under the car cover ? And have you thought of putting a 70 tail panel in instead of the later model rear while you have it in a way were it would be easy to do or are you happy with the 72-74 look. Just asking

Good question!!

I have three challengers now, two complete and this one.

Yea I seriously considered converting it to a 70. But I was convinced by the good people here to keep it what it is plus I'm saving 500 bucks by not having to buy the 70 tail panel. Now that does'nt mean I'm gonna stick a stock motor in there! But I am gonna keep the outside stock 74 with the strobe strips and all. I'm gonna move the bumpers in though like a 72, so I guess I'm not keeping it stock. I'm also converting it to a 4 speed too!
I'm gonna do some light media blasting today I think. While I was getting my blast equipment from work, I brought home some Urea plastic media, gonna use it on the outside body. I don't usually recycle my media, but this plastic is exspensive and designed to be reused. I used this once before to strip the outside of the gold challenger in my signature picture. So I have to sift it before going back into my blaster. Thought some people would like to see what it looks like. I gonna use something different for the bottem and behind the quarters. Have a real nice sunny day today!! Perfect for fall car work!

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/28/07 02:29 PM

So what is the other Challenger year model you have ?
If you would like a 70 Challenger in your fleet, i would seriously think about it now while it is at this stage, it would look great sitting next to your Gold 71......... You are building this car for yourself after all
And it is looking great by the way,if i have not said so allready.
Hot Stuff Buddy.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/29/07 01:52 AM

This is true inspiration man!!! Very impressive! Keep it up!

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/29/07 11:42 AM

Quote:

So what is the other Challenger year model you have ?
If you would like a 70 Challenger in your fleet, i would seriously think about it now while it is at this stage, it would look great sitting next to your Gold 71......... You are building this car for yourself after all
And it is looking great by the way,if i have not said so allready.
Hot Stuff Buddy.

Hey Thanks a bunch guys, Sure I would love to have a 70 someday, but this one will stay a 74, I think it'll be worth more that way. There weren't that many 74s made. Maybe the next car I do will be a 70? Took some pictures but haven't loaded all of them yet. My tent worked pretty good along with a fresh air breathing mask. Got the rear frame rails cleaned up and painted. Started to make some patch panels, got one welded in.

Posted By: a12superbee

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/30/07 07:22 PM

Favorite Topic! (toggle)

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/30/07 09:17 PM

Thanks

Good evening everyone! Was pretty whipped from the weekend, took last nite off. Just did more blasting out in the drive, did the rear tail panel(bye-bye silver argent)I have some to put back on! Lot's warmer tonite than last nite so I'm gonna get a little done.
Posted By: THESHAKERPROJECT

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 10/31/07 05:44 PM

I was wondering how the lines lie up at the trunk lid gap on both sides and if the panels match the curvature with the top of the lid as well...on my Challenger , the gap was way to big and uneven on both sides with the goodmark panels. Make sure your panels are not warped in this area....also check the recess for the bumper cut-out area and the body line around the wheel well at the top . The Goodmark panels need more work than some people think.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 11/01/07 12:05 PM

Quote:

I was wondering how the lines lie up at the trunk lid gap on both sides and if the panels match the curvature with the top of the lid as well...on my Challenger , the gap was way to big and uneven on both sides with the goodmark panels. Make sure your panels are not warped in this area....also check the recess for the bumper cut-out area and the body line around the wheel well at the top . The Goodmark panels need more work than some people think.

Good points, I haven't put it back together yet. I'll let you know how it works out. This is all new to me, so I'm learning as I go. Thanks for the heads up.
I need a spot welder!!

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 11/01/07 12:19 PM

Quote:

I need a spot welder!!

Is that a hint?

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 11/01/07 12:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I need a spot welder!!

Is that a hint?

Posted By: HemiDave

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 11/01/07 01:10 PM

Nice work, man.

Dave
Posted By: Scottmon

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 11/09/07 08:39 PM

Any updates?

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 11/09/07 11:56 PM

Quote:

Any updates?

TGIF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well... last Sat Markz528 lent me his brand new Hobart spot welder with a custom made timer built by him. But also last weekend besides going to a house warming party I built a wood frame awning behind my garage. Took me most of the weekend to do it. I haven't installed the panels yet, I just got them last nite. So I haven't had time to try the welder out. Monday I was shot and the rest of the week I've been repairing trucks at work. I hope to get some done tomorrow and Sun although I do have to work a little this weekend too.

Timer built by Mark, I'm gonna mount it in a box. Thanks Mark.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 11/10/07 12:27 AM

Another update is my hours worked. I started first of Oct, I have about 76 hours into it so far.
Posted By: moparmojo

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 11/10/07 06:30 AM

Keep it up. I am learning a bunch. One of my most favorite posts by far.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 11/13/07 11:29 PM

Quote:

Keep it up. I am learning a bunch. One of my most favorite posts by far.

Thanks, it's hard to keep it up sometimes!

Good evening everyone, I started out like wild fire begining of Oct, then I wait till the 12 day of this month to work on this car. Well I sure haven't been sitting in front of the computer or in front of the TV that's for sure. I built a 23'x14' wood awning behind my garage,by myself. It took me two weekends, I'm still sore all over.
Plus I lost a mechanic at work which means I get a little more exercise at work here lately.
I've been on the fence on wether I was gonna remove the whole outer wheelhouse or just splice the outter lip onto the original??? Well standing there looking at the car last nite, I decided to replace the whole thing. Took me about a hour and a half just to get the old one out. It was toughest piece yet to get off. IMO The replacement seem to fit pretty good, but the next thing I know I have another hour into it just messing with the fit. I was gonna start on the other side last nite but ran outta time. Once I get it off, then I can get to putting it back together and really see how it's all gonna fit. I'm getting busy at work so I may not have time every nite like I like to work. we'll see.
You saw pictures of my awning, except now it has 8 ounce fiberglass panels on it, sorry too late to take a picture.
Here's the car last nite after I got the outer wheelhouse off.

And here it is with the Goodmark replacement, it seems to fit pretty good. It fits real good inside the new quarter, that's why I decided to replace the whole thing.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 11/13/07 11:37 PM

Looking good GT.

Why the name change

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 11/13/07 11:49 PM

Quote:

Looking good GT.

Why the name change

Well when I joined challenger was taken, so was challenger1,so was 2 and so was 3. So I said to a friend that day, I bet no one has challenger125 and Moparts let me use it. Well I noticed someone new using just challenger here lately and when I checked challenger 1 was available again. So I went with it because it was shorter. Hey I could of used challenger#1...it was available too.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 11/14/07 08:26 AM

Quote:

Well when I joined challenger was taken, so was challenger1,so was 2 and so was 3. So I said to a friend that day, I bet no one has challenger125 and Moparts let me use it. Well I noticed someone new using just challenger here lately and when I checked challenger 1 was available again. So I went with it because it was shorter. Hey I could of used challenger#1...it was available too.

I was just curious that is why i asked. Have you got a pick of the house extension

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 11/15/07 02:42 AM

Quote:

Have you got a pick of the house extension

Hello folks,

I got the pass. wheelhouse off, and here is a picture of the replacement. It fits pretty darn good from what I have found so far.

I put the new pass wheel house on, it fits better than the drivers side. But I did a better job of removing the old one the second time around on the pass. side. I forgot to take a picture of the pass side before I hung the quarters.

Here's what a outer wheel house looks like.

I did another fitup to check things out. I think I can make this work. All panels are in place. I started to scribe stuff that will need to be modified. The trunk extensions will need the most work, but it looks doable. I think I'm gonna weld the trunk pan and extensions in next.

Hope to do more tomorrow, cheers everyone.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 11/16/07 06:24 PM

Wow! I don't have a car (or job) at present. Your posts make a great break from job hunting!

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 11/19/07 08:21 PM

Any weekend progress?

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 11/19/07 08:52 PM

Quote:

Any weekend progress?

Well not much that I can show. I used my stud welder and welded all the studs on the quarters and rear window filler for the window trim clips. I postioned the gas tank mounts and am ready to weld them on. I only spent about two hours on it over the weekend. But I did spend most of my weekend in a garage working on trucks. I plan on getting to know Markz528 spot welder tonite but first I have to mount some stuff for Markz timer to work with the spot welder. Oh yea I cut grass over the weekend,cleaned out three rooms for the carpet cleaners today,put up a ceiling light,rotted out two different drains,took my girlfriend out for her birthday, and worked on a awning all this weekend. I'm tired, but I'm gonna work on it tonite.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 11/20/07 10:06 AM

When you have that much metal cut out (all of it ), how do you line everything back up to fit each other? Like dog houses to quarters to trunk extensions to tail panel to ect. and not get anything out of whack? I don't mean holding it together, but where everything goes.
Awesome.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 11/20/07 12:43 PM

Quote:

When you have that much metal cut out (all of it ), how do you line everything back up to fit each other? Like dog houses to quarters to trunk extensions to tail panel to ect. and not get anything out of whack? I don't mean holding it together, but where everything goes.
Awesome.

Very good question, I'll let you know here soon. I still have the doors mounted and I will referece off of them. I took a bunch of measurement too before I took it apart.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 11/25/07 09:23 PM

How did you get the studs on the filler panel?? My bodyman cannot get the welder in the shallow recess without tilting the gun for the ground ring and the studs would be set crocked, Do you have some sort of adapter for the tip or ground ring of the gun?? He is using the Stinger brand stud setter.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 11/26/07 01:02 AM

Quote:

How did you get the studs on the filler panel?? My bodyman cannot get the welder in the shallow recess without tilting the gun for the ground ring and the studs would be set crocked, Do you have some sort of adapter for the tip or ground ring of the gun?? He is using the Stinger brand stud setter.

Hello everyone,
Haven't spent as much time as I would like, the past week or so. We are having house guests here Weds for a week and have been busy getting ready.

I've been doing things everyday to keep this car project moving forward.
Drove my other 74 Challenger today and yesterday! It was lot's of fun, it reminds me why we do this.

Hey good question about the stud welder, this is how I solved the problem for me.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 11/26/07 07:51 PM

Hey, Looks like the Rallye/Bulge hood is on the 71. I thought you were happy with the Shaker. Bucking the trend? LOL

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 11/27/07 12:40 PM

Quote:

Hey, Looks like the Rallye/Bulge hood is on the 71. I thought you were happy with the Shaker. Bucking the trend? LOL

Yea I'm bucking the trend,lol. Yea your right everyone has a shaker now.
I'm not real happy with the painter right now. I have two different colors on the car including the trim ring on the shaker hood is a slightly different color than the hood. I warned him about my concern, did he listen.... no. Now he wants to paint the whole car again, but I'm not sure what I'm gonna do now. As time went by the color changed to two different colors because he painted it on two different days.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 12/01/07 04:17 PM

Hey, thanks for the stud welder mod pics....funny they dont have an adapter to do this or they should make all the welders like this....cool stuff. This is a great post !! IM really wondering how the Goodmark quarters are gonna fit for you....they were a pain for my bodyman in the trunk lid gap on both sides. This may have been corrected by Goodmark by now....hopefully.
Posted By: Scottmon

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 12/14/07 03:22 PM

Anything new?

Thought I'd bump the thread, it's too cool to let die...

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 12/19/07 02:24 PM

Hello everyone,
As you guessed it, I've been really busy at work and haven't had time to work on the car. But I'm constanly thinking about it. I've been in contact with a company called Pro-spot and I am very seriously considing purchasing one of their spot welding systems. I have a demo coming up in the next week or two, whenever I can make time for them. Did you see the spot welder they were using to weld that twanise camaro together on TV? That's the system I want to buy. I don't want to start drilling panels for plug welds if I'm gonna get this system fron Pro- spot because it'll do most of what I need to weld. It's a big investment but I hope to do more of this kind of restoration in the future. I could see myself doing this when I retire.
Anyway thanks for keeping an eye out for my posts, I hope to get back to it here this weekend.

Happy Holidays everyone!!

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 12/22/07 01:04 AM

If you have the metalworking video by goodmark and sold through hot rod...the bodyman uses the HTP spotwelder and it seems to work very well without the big investment they also use a phenematic hole punch to punch out holes for plug welding. I think with the right tips the HTP spot welder could get into most of the areas of a challenger thats apart like yours. BTW , can we get this thread closer to the top ?
Posted By: 71sat440

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 12/22/07 01:19 AM

I havn't posted since the beginning, but that doesn't mean I don't follow the thread
I love following home projects

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 01/11/08 08:29 PM

Quote:

I havn't posted since the beginning, but that doesn't mean I don't follow the thread
I love following home projects

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 01/11/08 08:44 PM

OK Ok I know I've been slacking, Holidays are done. Believe or not I have been back on it the last two nites. Too much going on in my life right now.
My better half wants me to remodel the kitchen and I have been making a game plan for that. Then about a week ago she say's "your not happy unless your working on that challenger" She say's get out there and work on it and the kitchen can wait! She's a very good women, she know's me so well. So that's what I'm gonna do, challenger first then the kitchen. Hopefully anyways! Stay tuned. I build em because I love em, not to flip. I drove one of my challengers new year eve!!
Posted By: moparman383

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 01/23/08 04:32 PM

Quote:

Then about a week ago she say's "your not happy unless your working on that challenger" She say's get out there and work on it and the kitchen can wait!

I thought that was leading into one of those "you need to choose - me or the car!" conversations. She seems to be a good woman, you're a lucky guy.

I just found this thread today in another one of your posts Challenger 1, unbelievable! I just read every single post and loved it! I am inspired now but no way do I have the ability to do what you did in such short time, if at all!

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 01/23/08 06:40 PM

I thought that was leading into one of those "you need to choose - me or the car!" conversations. She seems to be a good woman, you're a lucky guy.

I've been there too, he's lucky! Happy New Year and keep up the work (and posts)
Posted By: EWJ

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 01/23/08 06:57 PM

Keep the pics and progress posts coming: it helps me keep going on my project which is as extensive as yours. I'd post about it, but it's a Brand X car

BTW: Where in NJ was the car?

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 01/23/08 07:06 PM

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 02/11/08 02:53 AM

Hello everyone,
Sorry I haven't posted like forever.Haven't had as much time to work as I like so I did'nt work on it at all.
But I did last Sat for about 4 hours, then today I spent a couple hours on it. I have the gas tank braces plug welded in. Welded the spare tire mount on. And drilled the floor pan for plug welds to the frame rails. I have everything either clamped or screwed together at this point. I'm gonna remove the rotisserie from the rear of the car so I can boltup the rear valance panel before I start welding for good. Gonna build me a temp. support for the rear of the car so I can take out the rotisserie.Then I'll have everthing where it needs to be and I will feel comfortable welding it solid. So far all these panels are fitting very nice. Here a few pics:

Posted By: aspenrt360

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 02/11/08 03:16 AM

awsome work

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 02/11/08 03:52 AM

Awesome work

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 02/12/08 03:39 PM

Quote:

Awesome work

Thank you guys,

I got home at 9:30 PM last nite, I did a little.
Tough for me to find the time during the winter because we are busy at work this time of year. Here's some of the hardware that will be going back on the car that I cleaned up.

This is what it looks like naked.

Gonna pull the quarters off one more time and under coat them just like the originals.I bet most people forget to transfer the rear window hardware from the old quarters to the new, you can see it in this picture. It needs to be welded on the new quarters for the windows to worh right..

Here's some of the sheet metal that this car is gonna get. There's more for the front that's not shown, like new inner and outer front fenders.

More I post the more I get reved up

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 02/12/08 04:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Awesome work

Thank you guys,

I got home at 9:30 PM last nite, I did a little.
Tough for me to find the time during the winter because we are busy at work this time of year. Here's some of the hardware that will be going back on the car that I cleaned up.

This is what it looks like naked.

Gonna pull the quarters off one more time and under coat them just like the originals.I bet most people forget to transfer the rear window hardware from the old quarters to the new, you can see it in this picture. It needs to be welded on the new quarters for the windows to worh right..

Here's some of the sheet metal that this car is gonna get. There's more for the front that's not shown, like new inner and outer front fenders.

Amazing considering your schedule!!
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 02/12/08 04:52 PM

Very very impressive!

Attached picture 4187805-welder.gif

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 02/18/08 03:43 PM

Quote:

Then by all means, POST POST POST!

It helps get me reved up on my projects too!!

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 02/18/08 04:17 PM

I spent some time out in the garage this weekend. I worked on my 71 gold challenger Sat, I stripped all the trim off of it for a repaint. Took it to the body shop Sat night. Then spent some time cleaning up my garage and working on the 74 car Sun. No new pictures yet but I'm gonna stay on it this week. Hope to get everything welded up in the rear so I can start on the front! Thanks for looking. Thanks to Marz528, I used your spot welder yesterday and it worked fine. You can see the timer on top of my car in a couple earlier pictures.
Posted By: rtmike

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 02/18/08 05:20 PM

Good work! I am always amazed at the talent and drive of the do it yourself crowd here, it inspires me, (and hopefully everyone else too).
Posted By: mopar155

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 02/18/08 07:26 PM

Gary- Ron here, long time no see. I hope you don't mind me asking but why did you have to have the Challenger repainted already? Did some issues come back in the paint and is Boitnot's gonna take care of it if it did? Just curious- take care

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 02/18/08 11:53 PM

Quote:

Gary- Ron here, long time no see. I hope you don't mind me asking but why did you have to have the Challenger repainted already? Did some issues come back in the paint and is Boitnot's gonna take care of it if it did? Just curious- take care

Hey Ron,
Good to talk to you. Jim painted that car on two different days and you can see it. At first we could'nt see it but after a month or so you could. I told him about it and he said bring it back. I did'nt want to and wanted to live with it. I put the whole car together thinking I'm just gonna drive it, right? Well as time went by the colors changed even more.Jim and I talked about re doing it last summer but I did'nt want to give him the car then. Then Jim called me about a month ago and even came to see the car and wanted it to get it right. So it's there now, I'm not sure how much he's gonna redo but he is taking care of it. Funny thing was, when Jim first looked at my car before he painted it, I expressed that exact concern and was told it should'nt be a problem with the older metalics,. well it was.

Hope everything is good with you and your family.

A lot has changed for the better here.
Posted By: EWJ

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 02/19/08 01:55 AM

Quote:

Any info?

Keep the progess pics coming.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 02/19/08 12:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Any info?

I keep forgeting to look at the title, I don't remember exactly where, but I will look and post what city.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 02/20/08 01:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Any info?

I keep forgeting to look at the title, I don't remember exactly where, but I will look and post what city.

This car came from So Plainfield NJ I bought from a guy named Leon. I remember seeing a sign that said New York City 12 miles ahead while I'm cruising my toterhome and 49' trailer along thinking this exit better be soon and it was. I did'nt want to get into NY with my truck and trailer. I picked up the car at a comercial business with a large lot. I'm not sure if I was in So Plainfield though when I picked it up. Just where the car was titled.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 02/28/08 12:03 AM

Hello everybody,
I've done a little this past weekend...I came across these screw jacks. I had to cut them down a little but they fit pretty good for support. They allowed me to remove the rotissiere that was supporting the car, I cleaned up and hung some H.O. lights so I could see.
Anybody having trouble loading pics at Photobucket? I can't load all my pics but here are a couple.
[image]Variance[/image]
Posted By: FuryUs

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 02/28/08 12:53 AM

Pic no workie. C'mon, a bunch of us that never work on our cars are waiting!
Posted By: da50r

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 02/28/08 01:13 AM

You guys are doing great... taking and posting the pics is work alone!!! Thanks for sharing.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 02/29/08 02:36 AM

Not real sure why I had trouble yesterday loading pics but here are a couple. Found these 3 foot long screw jacks which fit pretty good. I fit up the rear valance and it look good. I still have to drill some holes to mount it. Did alot of clean up and hung some lights so I could see.

This is a timer that Marz528 designed and built at the last second for me to use. We don't have it mounted in a box yet but it works great.It is really nice to know that you can repeat the same spot weld time, time after time. Thanks Mark for letting me use it.

Posted By: HemiChallenger

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 02/29/08 03:52 AM

Looks great! You are cruising right along! I gotta see the end results then!

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 03/21/08 11:18 PM

Hello everyone, Hope everything is well with you and your family.

Haven't done much till today and this weekend. I have done a bunch on my gold 71 Challenger in the past 2 or three weeks. It was in a show here in town! The car got a total repaint job two weeks before the show. All worked out fine. Here's a few pictures.

Anyway I am gonna get back on this 74 challenger tonite.

Last one:

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 03/31/08 06:43 PM

Posted By: IMGTX

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 03/31/08 07:09 PM

Quote:

I have done a bunch on my gold 71 Challenger in the past 2 or three weeks. It was in a show here in town! The car got a total repaint job two weeks before the show. All worked out fine.

Wasn't the gold car recently painted????

I always enjoy watching your work.

Great Job

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 04/07/08 05:55 PM

Sorry IMGTX I missed your post, Yes can you beleive my painter had to repaint the whole thing again? and he did at his expense, the whole car! Yea it sucked but what are gonna do? Then he talked me into showing it along with other cars that he painted. I got to say this about him is that he does'nt mess around when I give him the car. I think he had it about 10 days max and waits at the shop late for me to pick it up. He's a good guy. He was bugging me for the car for a year now for the repaint because he did'nt want his reputation damaged.

. I've been side tracked on this 74 project for a little while. Right now I type this from Lake Tahoe Ca. Here for a week with my better half planing her daughters wedding in the fall. The good news is we are coming back with my truck and trailer for the the H.A.N. at Reno Aug 2-10 this summer so I can cruise the car and she can spend time with her daughter planing her wedding. I'm a lucky guy. Have great week everyone. Gary

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 04/07/08 06:06 PM

BTW the reason the car was repainted was because he painted on two different days and after a while you could see two different shades of gold.

I even warned him about that before he painted it but he did'nt want any paint lines any where on the car so he did it that way. Apart on two different days, it cost him.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 04/07/08 06:08 PM

WOW!

I'm glad to hear there are still some honest people more worried about their reputation than money.

I look forward to seeing more progress. I am wanting to start on my Hardtop but I can't until I move. So I restore cars vicariously through your work .

Congrats on the wedding too.
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 04/07/08 06:53 PM

Quote:

WOW!

I'm glad to hear there are still some honest people more worried about their reputation than money.

...<snip>

That one action probably gained him more customers because of his service than most folks could have imagined and he will make it up in the long run.
Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 04/07/08 07:21 PM

Hey. I have always admired your gold car and enjoyed your posts. That painter of yours is a stand up guy. Tell him we think your car looks fantastic. Keep up the good work on that new project. At some point here my car will be taking on the new sheetmetal too. You guys who are kind enough to document your progress are really helping me learn and I SO appreciate it. THANK YOU!

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 04/08/08 01:28 AM

It was 70 here today. I want my ride............

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 04/17/08 03:50 PM

Anything new on the '74...

I took the '73 out yesterday for a bit...

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 05/01/08 01:48 PM

Hello everyone, I've been on hold for a while now, but I have started back on this thing here lately. Here's a picture of the rear window stops that get welded onto the new quarters. I sprayed some rocker panel "chip guard" from 3M on the inside of the new quarters. You can paint over it and it looks close to what was in there when new. I'm to the point of welding everything back together on the rear of the car. It's gonna happen in the next few nites. Thanks for looking at my project!!

I'm pretty happy with the fit of all the panels.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 05/13/08 03:58 PM

Is that the finished project in your sig pic or another Challenger of yours?

This is an awesome thread/project. Thanks for the inspiration!

Brad

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 05/13/08 07:38 PM

Quote:

Is that the finished project in your sig pic or another Challenger of yours?

This is an awesome thread/project. Thanks for the inspiration!

Brad

Hello,

No it's not this car, it's another 74 that I've had since 1987. Bought it from a friend who bought from his uncle who bought it new. Making me third owner with all original paper work. He gave me all the paper work in 87 but I just recently found the paper work! 360/727 ralley car loaded, pretty rare for a 74.
The 74 that this thread is about came from NY city in 2004, I was gonna part it out after I used some parts from it to built the gold 71 in my sig picture. Ebayed some stuff off of it that covered the cost of it.Gave 2000 bucks for the car complete running with a 318/904 and a 3.23 suregrip with the original am/fm radio in it. I kept asking the guy over the phone if the radio was in the car like it was in the pictures. It was and I sold it for 400 bucks as soon as I got home with the car. It covered my fuel and time to go get it. I have other radios in the basement, as I have had challengers since 1976(bout ten over the years)

Anyway I have taken the last three month's off from this project but recently I have started back on it.I spend too much time here on Moparts!!

Last fall when I tore the car apart I left the rear axle assy together and rolled it into the back yard. Same with the front end end. In the last couple weeks I have disassembled the complete rear end and leaf springs. Found a 323 suregrip in the rear end! that was added at one time, it was originally open. I also stripped the front control arms upper and lower. k MEMBER IS BARE AND IN GOOD SHAPE, NO EGGED OUT HOLES. i WILL WELD IT UP AND ADD SOME GUSSET AROUND THE STEERING MOUNT.Sorry bout the caps. Pressure washed all the grease and grime off of everything.
Starting to get a nice pile of stuff that I will sandblast here soon before paint. Dismounted 4 old tires and discarded them along with thoose old keystones. The tires had water inside them and the rims were really rusty inside. I got all that out of my yard.

I did weld those rear window brackets into the new quarters too, a couple weeks ago.

I have had the rear sheet metal on and off the car about four or five times now and it's gonna fit fine. I just gotta get the balls to weld the floor pan in solid and then concentrate on getting the quarters and rear window filler panel tight. I'm gonna do it here real soon. I hope to finish this car right here on Moparts before the end of the year. I have everthing for the most part right here to make it a 340/4 speed with a 8 3/4 I'm thinking about going with original red color and strobe stripes.

I haven't been sitting around too much, I did windup tearing my kitchen out, so I have to have it back together before Jun 1 for a wedding shower that is gonna happen here. No pressure here.
Plus it's time here lately to cut grass too, 4 acres a week Fun.

Oh well the car project will be there when I'm ready, but it does make me smile every time I look at it, man I love working on these cars
Hey I'm gotta move my 71 so I think I'll take it for a cruise this afternoon, Cya.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 05/13/08 08:48 PM

Gary don't forget about all the time you spent helping me out...

I am just now putting some stuff together...

I have the k-frame all back together and painted... the rear end should go together tonight (BTW -I got the ratach gasket - it looks like it will work great!)...

The undercoating in the wheel wells is done, a few things I would like to do before it is off the rotisserie and put back together for final fitting a blocking...

Come hell or high water I am going to DRIVE my car to the nats this year... - DONE!

Good luck gary!

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 05/13/08 10:04 PM

Quote:

Gary don't forget about all the time you spent helping me out...

I am just now putting some stuff together...

I have the k-frame all back together and painted... the rear end should go together tonight (BTW -I got the ratach gasket - it looks like it will work great!)...

The undercoating in the wheel wells is done, a few things I would like to do before it is off the rotisserie and put back together for final fitting a blocking...

Come hell or high water I am going to DRIVE my car to the nats this year... - DONE!

Good luck gary!

So is it painted yet??????????????

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 05/13/08 10:32 PM

I do not want to take away from Gary's thread; but no it is not painted:

See:
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/favl...amp;postmarker=
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/favl...amp;postmarker=

Putting the rear end together tonight...
More pics to come (in my thread)...

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 05/14/08 12:40 AM

Looks pretty, but

Quote:

no it is not painted:

why not?

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 05/15/08 06:05 PM

Thanks for the update (and background info) Gary! I didn't imagine you painting the car like that after doing all that work, it's a cool design but I expected your 74 to look more stock after all that work you are doing.

Keep up the good work! Maybe you'll have it ready to drive to the Nats!

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 05/15/08 06:17 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the update (and background info) Gary! I didn't imagine you painting the car like that after doing all that work, it's a cool design but I expected your 74 to look more stock after all that work you are doing.

Keep up the good work! Maybe you'll have it ready to drive to the Nats!

Hey thanks guy's,

The 74 in my sig picture was painted for my friend with black emron back in 1984. He sold it to me without any trim put back on.I finished it back in 1987 after the paint job. It's has a true 70s design but is holding up pretty good for 24 years old plus it's a driver. Looks great from across the intersection. I'll be at the Nat's but with my other cars.

You guys can post all you want on my thread, love to here about your car and garage projects.

Rick if you need help getting that thing done by Aug, just let me know. I'd be glad to help, love your attitude.
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 06/07/08 01:48 AM

Any updates? Your posts have been inspiration. Oddly, the last time I worked on my car was around May 15th. I have about 40 more spot welds and a few cuts before I can start welding the thing back together. I was just wondering how you were coming along.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 06/07/08 06:35 AM

Honest, theres a _lot_ of us watching this thread.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 06/10/08 09:32 PM

Hello folks!

I've been on hold for a while now, was gonna tell everyone that I sold the car to buy a mustang or something like that. lol
Now that it's 90 plus degrees out I'm working on the car again. I think I like the hot weather, I guess. I've had the panels on and off the car now many times and I started welding stuff on. I wound up with pretty much all new sheet metal in the rear. I remembered to spot weld the wiring clamps that were welded to the old rain gutter for the trunk and the jack brackets for the trunk floor before I welded them in for good. here's a couple pics: The trunk floor is getting welded in for good tonite.

Posted By: DusterKrazy

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 06/10/08 11:31 PM

You are doing a great job on this! WOW!! I love the 72-74 challengers! This is one of the best most detailed posts on here. Id like to post one of my '70 charger going through the stages although it's not done yet. Alot of purists and numbers guys will flame the project for sure but keep in mind I saved it from the crusher and it's way to far gone and way to out of my budget to restore. I believe it'll be a death proof replica car Keep up the good work and cant wait to see more! Very few realize what kinda work goes into projects like this!

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 06/11/08 01:26 AM

Hey Thank you,

It's in, the trunk pan. I plug welded it to the frame rails and spot welded it to the lower cross member. I chickened out, I had the extensions all clamped up to the trunk pan and was gonna install them together. They were still clamped up from the last fitup, but I decided to install them separately. Next up is the window filler and then the quarters, then work my way down to the trunk extensions and rear valance. Then the rear panel and rain gutters.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 08/04/08 01:46 PM

Hey Gary, have you made much progress so far this summer? Haven't seen any updates in a while and wondered if you had the Chally ready to drive to the Nats?

Brad

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 08/04/08 02:22 PM

Awesome Job

How well does that spot welder work? Is it a 220V or 110v?

I noticed that you plug welded some parts and spot welded others. Why do you do both? Do you feel better about the plug welds for strength?

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 09/13/08 10:38 PM

Quote:

Hey Gary, have you made much progress so far this summer? Haven't seen any updates in a while and wondered if you had the Chally ready to drive to the Nats?

Brad

Hello everyone,
I'm sorry I did'nt see you guys posts. I was'nt even sure this thread was still here. To answer your question, I haven't done anything to this thing since early June. I don't have any excusses other than being lazy. I just got back from dropping my better half off at the airport. She's gonna be gone for 30 days. So I am a bachlor again temporaly and I can work all I want without any distractions. So I'm getting back on it tonite and every day for at least the next month. I'll keep you posted. Here's the heap as I type.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 11/22/08 01:07 PM

I haven't done any work on this car since spring. I had good intentions in sept but then a bad wind storm came along and tried to blow my garage down. I sorry I did'nt do what I said I was gonna do. But I am gonna get back on it and I did'nt want to lose this thread, so I hope you don't mind this bump. \
Have a good weekend everyone.
Posted By: Scotts72Rallye

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 11/22/08 08:42 PM

Keep up the great work. You and Steve Segal "HemiChallenger" posting your updates are what keeps me motivated to work on my Challenger.
Scott
Posted By: Scott Carl

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 11/26/08 05:48 AM

Hey Gary,
Looks like a fun project eerie how similar our projects are!(check out "Just another '74") I think you have the advantage though; Experience, and room LOL

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 11/26/08 01:39 PM

Hi Scotts, Thanks for looking at my thread. I started like gangbusters but now have been on hold for a while now. I'm gonna get back at it.

Good luck with your project and glad to help anyway I can.

Thanks to Tom for keeping this long running thread and for this new board. Happy Thanksgiving.
Posted By: AftermarketGoody

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 12/01/08 03:07 AM

I have been following your amazing progress. I hope you find the time and motivation to continue.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 12/15/08 08:38 AM

so, needless to say, you probably won't be ready for my car this spring!

that's fine, because now I'm not sure what I want to do first...body work on the car, or build a garage. part of me says build the garage now while things are slow and people are looking for work.

but the other part of me says "get the freakin car done already!"

...but, when the bodywork is done...I'm going to need a garage to finish the car in!
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 12/30/08 01:55 AM

I loved watching you put that gold car together. Now we get to see you do another. Looking forward to some more progress pics!
Posted By: etek

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 01/07/09 03:11 AM

Quote:

I loved watching you put that gold car together. Now we get to see you do another. Looking forward to some more progress pics!

Me too - very nice work, very nice thread!! Been watching for a while and just went through the entire thread again.
I also have a '74 (Chilly Challenger thread) and agree with you on saving them rather than making them a '70 or '71 - they made VERY few of them and at some point that's gonna affect prices.
Not that you need anyone's help or advice...but if I may: Just a reminder - get that rear valence on before you weld up them quaters!!I made that mistake on mine and had to redo a few things...
As well, I sandblasted all my nuts and bolts and - save for some that came out nice - I think the job looks better with new hardware in places like the fenders, valences, etc...not sure what you think on that.
On another note, you seemed to have lucked out now that your painter is on board with fixing his mistakes. Obviously he knows you'll have more work for him if he keeps you happy! I do my own painting - so have no-one to balme but myself when things go wrong.
Keep up the good work and all the posting!!
Cheers,
e.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 01/07/09 01:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Me too - very nice work, very nice thread!! Been watching for a while and just went through the entire thread again.
I also have a '74 (Chilly Challenger thread) and agree with you on saving them rather than making them a '70 or '71 - they made VERY few of them and at some point that's gonna affect prices.
Not that you need anyone's help or advice...but if I may: Just a reminder - get that rear valence on before you weld up them quaters!!I made that mistake on mine and had to redo a few things...
As well, I sandblasted all my nuts and bolts and - save for some that came out nice - I think the job looks better with new hardware in places like the fenders, valences, etc...not sure what you think on that.
On another note, you seemed to have lucked out now that your painter is on board with fixing his mistakes. Obviously he knows you'll have more work for him if he keeps you happy! I do my own painting - so have no-one to balme but myself when things go wrong.
Keep up the good work and all the posting!!
Cheers,
e.

Hey thanks everyone,
I've been trying to get my mind wrapped around this project again. I don't have any excuses on why I haven't worked on it here lately. Been lazy.

I have thought about the rear valance, don't have any pictures of it bolted in place but I have had it bolted up already.
Don't worry I will finish this thing this year.

70cuda383 I'm sure your watching to see me finish this car before thinking about having any work done on yours. I understand and can't wait to finish it.

Making excuses...I am just finishing a drywall/inslulation job in the house and when that's done I'm back out in the garage FULL TIME!

I have had great paint work done by a friend for many years. He has done wonderful work fast, like in 48 hours a couple times on my dragsters. He only had my 71 gold car for 10 days, but that's because I had all the body work done when it got there.I had the bottem and interior painted before he got it too.
I have painted many work trucks over the years so this time I plan to paint the whole thing by myself.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 01/07/09 04:06 PM

1 question why a 74 challenger???

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 01/07/09 04:43 PM

Quote:

Cuz I had it sitting here rotting outside and I have a 30 year collection of challenger parts.

Actually I bought it for the AM/FM radio that was in it and the AC vents in 03.Sold the radio for big bucks and used the vents in my 71 AC dash.Sold a few other things too which paid for the cost of the car when I bought it.(gave 1900 bucks for it) Was gonna part it out after I finished my 71. But got to thinking that I already owned everything to put it back together except for the sheet metal.
So I get some good practice for if I ever get a chance to do a hi dollar car. Luckly I already own a complete never taken apart 74 that I have owned since 1985. So I have a good example to work from. I have owned about 10 challengers since buying my first one in 1976 when I turned 16.
Posted By: burdar

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 01/07/09 05:04 PM

Quote:

WHy not?

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 01/07/09 07:17 PM

why not!! its a 74 not worth that much, why put alot of time and money into a car that in the long run he will lose money, just makes no sence to me,i can see 70 or 71 challenger but not 72 to 74,

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 01/07/09 08:24 PM

Quote:

why not!! its a 74 not worth that much, why put alot of time and money into a car that in the long run he will lose money, just makes no sence to me,i can see 70 or 71 challenger but not 72 to 74,

My guess is it's not about money. With the cost of restorations these days it's hard to make money on most cars. That's why so many shops go under. IF you wait long enough, the 72-74's will come up in price. I'm glad to see someone building something other than a 70-71. I'm tired of hearing that 72-74 cars aren't worth fixing.

You are doing a great job so far. I've been keeping track of your progress for a long time now and I can only hope my 73 comes together as nice.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. *DELETED* - 01/07/09 08:49 PM

Post deleted by theiceman
Posted By: 3eighty3

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 01/07/09 09:22 PM

I don't know if the '72 to '74 cars will pick up in price, if I had to guess I'd say they probably will but - nonetheless, I'm glad it's not all about money. Respect to anyone rescuing one of these cars!

thomas

cuda blog

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 01/07/09 11:20 PM

Quote:

Yup it's not about the money, I bet I never sell it. I like challengers.
I haven't ever flipped a car. I have only sold one challenger my whole life, all the others got cut up because they were so rusty. Not this one, it's gonna be like new soon.

I will have very little money into it because I can do all the work and I already own all the parts and tools literally. Sheet metal being the biggest investment for me. I'm a lucky guy that have worked hard.

My better half would like a cuda because she thinks their more girly like. So our next E body will be hopefully be a cuda.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 01/07/09 11:24 PM

Gary progress looks great, dont mind the boards friend cudavert71 . Hes very absent minded and extremely ignorant.

Whats the color plan for this one?

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 01/08/09 01:49 AM

Hey Steve,

It was FE5 red when new, so I'm thinking about keeping it FE5? Seems like a easy color to shoot, except for the cost.

Your car sure has come a long way, great work!

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 01/08/09 02:16 AM

Red would be nice, they really pop with white accents...Speaking of paint thats what im doing tommarrow...wish me luck

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 01/08/09 03:02 AM

Quote:

First of all this isnt to flame but asking why doesnt make sense. I get tired of all the "If it's not a '72 or older, it's not worth fixing crowd"..

Im glad people are fixing mopars made past '72.
They in my opinion are just as important. Keep in mind that we all cant afford '70/'71 e bodies.

It's still a challenger so why not! Notice how many 72-74 dodge chargers,satellites,and roadrunners are being fixed up nowadays? People are fixing up what they can get a hold of.

Just like in the world of a body cars. The 73-76 are where the really good deals are. I have a '71 duster and a '73 duster. The parts are cheaper and easier to get for my '73. Everybit as fun to.

My buddy even has a '74 duster that many say "should have been scrapped". It's now a very nice car.

Being concerned will what you get back out of a car after it's completed or being concerned with what it's worth is one of the things wrong with our mopar hobby and infact making it less of a hobby. For some of us it's definetly not about the $$$.

I have a '70 charger as well. Not an r/t and because it's not a '69 woud it not be worth fooling with? It's what I wanna build and Im having a good time doing it and that to me is worth more than any amount of $$$

Im watching this build and am enjoying it!

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 01/08/09 03:10 AM

Quote:

First of all this isnt to flame but asking why doesnt make sense. I get tired of all the "If it's not a '72 or older, it's not worth fixing crowd"..

Im glad people are fixing mopars made past '72.
They in my opinion are just as important. Keep in mind that we all cant afford '70/'71 e bodies.

It's still a challenger so why not! Notice how many 72-74 dodge chargers,satellites,and roadrunners are being fixed up nowadays? People are fixing up what they can get a hold of.

Just like in the world of a body cars. The 73-76 are where the really good deals are. I have a '71 duster and a '73 duster. The parts are cheaper and easier to get for my '73. Everybit as fun to.

My buddy even has a '74 duster that many say "should have been scrapped". It's now a very nice car.

Being concerned will what you get back out of a car after it's completed or being concerned with what it's worth is one of the things wrong with our mopar hobby and infact making it less of a hobby. For some of us it's definetly not about the $$$.

I have a '70 charger as well. Not an r/t and because it's not a '69 woud it not be worth fooling with? It's what I wanna build and Im having a good time doing it and that to me is worth more than any amount of $$$

Im watching this build and am enjoying it!

I couldn't have said it better Michael. I'm tired of the haters as well. I have a thread about my dads 73 and there is a thread on another 74 here as well. They are all worth saving in my book.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. *DELETED* *DELETED* - 01/08/09 03:17 PM

Post deleted by theiceman

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 01/08/09 04:48 PM

Quote:

the point the haters are trying too make is the 72 and up challengers are just not that good looking and did not come with any factory horse power so there not worth the time to restore as well as the chargers, dusters, darts, demons, 71 was the last year of the great cars!!!!

To each there own... I agree that 71 is the last year of the true muscle cars. But that don't mean that you should turn your back on the later cars.

I have been getting all positive comments for years now when I'm driving my ugly old 74 challenger. I've almost caused accidents while poeple were looking at the car. And to tell you the truth, I've had some pretty hot dates because of the car. It's a nice rush talking my ugly girl out for a cruise. Most people have no clue what year it is but everyone notices the car.

I did'nt paint it, it had this black imron on it when I bought it in 1985 from a friend.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 01/08/09 05:05 PM

i dont know about the dates u say u get but be honest about the car, ugley tail lights and ugley grill!!,

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 01/08/09 05:08 PM

Quote:

i dont know about the dates u say u get but be honest about the car, ugley tail lights and ugley grill!!,

Got any pictures of your hot cars?

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 01/08/09 05:13 PM

Hey Challenger1...I have a question for you. Not to take anything away from your thread but what is the correct color for the rear bumper filler panel between the bumper and the body on the 73-74 Challengers? My cars tail panel is argent and the filler looks to be argent on the middle, but it kind of faids out as it wraps around the side of the body. Should it be solid argent on the whole thing? I know the front panel is just a natural light gray. Thanks

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 01/08/09 05:29 PM

Quote:

Hey Challenger1...I have a question for you. Not to take anything away from your thread but what is the correct color for the rear bumper filler panel between the bumper and the body on the 73-74 Challengers? My cars tail panel is argent and the filler looks to be argent on the middle, but it kind of faids out as it wraps around the side of the body. Should it be solid argent on the whole thing? I know the front panel is just a natural light gray. Thanks

I beleive it should be light argent silver all the way around the rear. Never thought about the front, is it gray? I was thinking silver also? My 74 in the pictures was painted blue when the car was painted black back in the early 80s. I'm not in love with the paint job but it was new when I got the car.

Here's picture of the car I'm redoing now. I guess it looks gray up front? I'll look at the filler strips tonight to investgate and let you know.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 01/08/09 05:42 PM

THe front just seems to be natural with no paint. Here is a pic from my thread that shows the front filler.

Attached picture 4932740-4872437-engine[1].jpg

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 01/08/09 05:49 PM

Quote:

THe front just seems to be natural with no paint. Here is a pic from my thread that shows the front filler.

I have all of mine in a box at home, I'll look real close at them and let you know what I find. I have some early bumper mounts so I was gonna move the bumpers in and not reuse them.

I like the early small bumperettes which I bolted on my 74 bumpers, just used a extra bumper bolt to fill the extra hole. I already have a fresh set of bumpers and bumperettes from Tri City that I ordered when they redid my 71 bumpers.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 01/08/09 06:03 PM

I am still debating weather or not to move the bumpers in. If I do, I'll still use the big rubber bumpers because that's how I always remember the car. Moving the bumpers in next to the body does look better though.

I have heard that there is still a small metal filler piece that needs to be installed into the body even if you move the bumpers in. Is that true and do you have a picture of that piece?

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 01/09/09 01:44 AM

Quote:

I'm doing a 74 myself (Chilly Challenger thread) and up here, a nice resto will go for $20-24K. If you buy one for less that 5K and put even $10K in parts into it, you'll come out ahead - as long as you do all the work yourself! But that's what's seperates the real men from the "payers"! If you have to pay $25K for body and paint, well....you'll have to look for something else to throw your money at!

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 01/09/09 01:48 AM

Im sorry but lets drop this hating on 72+ cars.

IF YOU DONT LIKE IT KEEP GOING!

Gary doesnt want to read how you dont like the look of the car.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 01/09/09 02:15 AM

As for moving the bumpers in, I'm doing the same. I cut and reworked the rear brackets and re-drilled the holes in the front.

I'll also be going without the bumperettes, filling in all the holes. Haven't decided for sure yet, but may paint them body color.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 01/09/09 06:51 AM

I guess Im one the weird folks that likes the '72-'74 taillights

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 01/09/09 12:37 PM

i here ya on that but u can find a mint 72 to 74 for 10k easy and if any1 pays more there nuts!!!

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 01/09/09 02:07 PM

I like the '72-74 e-body cars. You can get so much more car for the money and for the most part the styling is the same as the earlier cars. I think this factory red car is a great car to fix up. If it turns out as good as that gold car you know it will be a stunning head turner attracting tons of attention where ever it goes. Can't wait to see more progress.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 01/09/09 03:44 PM

keep in mind that all old cars turn heads being u just dont see them driving down the road every day anymore, u can have a 71 to 74 charger prob the worst body style ever made and some1 will look,

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 01/09/09 04:41 PM

Quote:

u can have a 71 to 74 charger prob the worst body style ever made and some1 will look

That statement will ruffle some feathers.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 01/09/09 10:12 PM

Quote:

As for moving the bumpers in, I'm doing the same. I cut and reworked the rear brackets and re-drilled the holes in the front.

I'll also be going without the bumperettes, filling in all the holes. Haven't decided for sure yet, but may paint them body color.

Nice job on shortening those bumper brackets Etek. That's a smart way of doing it, thanks for sharing that idea. Car look great, very clean.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 01/21/09 01:56 AM

All this talk about the 72' thru 74' Challengers being ugly and undesirable is a real load,A real mopar fan would appriciate any mopar that someone took the time and money to restore,any Challenger included. I wish I had my 73'back that I drove in high school.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 07/13/09 05:58 PM

Quote:

why not!! Its a 74 not worth that much, why put alot of time and money into a car that in the long run he will lose money, just makes no sence to me,i can see 70 or 71 challenger but not 72 to 74,

Some folks such as myself could care less about the dollar value of a car. Lose money? Mine was purchased by my father for $2600 and change when it was 6 months old. I doubt it will ever be worth less than that. He left it to me when he died in early '08. What is it worth?? If its only dollars then I should call the salvage yard and have them come and get it to send to the crusher. But that's not my plan. Mine is only worth the memory of my father and that has no price tag. Yeah I don't like the extended bumpers, but as many have proved, you can fix that. Tail lights?? I think the 72 to 74 tail lights are the best looking of them all. The Grill?? Again, once the bumpers are put back where they belong (pulled in ) they're the meanest looking front ends on the road IMHO.

BTW, I'm wondering why no one else has brought it up before now, but how is it that an unregistered non-member is able to post in the first place Something smells trollish

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 07/13/09 06:08 PM

Scott...those comments were made by a member who was banned for all of the comments he made. Every post by him was putting someone elses car down. He was finaly removed from the site.

Apparently after a certain timeframe, those accounts are deleted. That's why it shows up as an unregistered user.

Hey Gary...what is the progress on the 74? You havn't updated this in a long time.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 07/13/09 08:15 PM

Oh OK thanks Darren. Sorry for the rant I know there's a lot of guys out there that just have animosity toward E-body owners in general, but for whatever reason, I think its mostly jealousy And hey! It could be worse. We could be building Camaroes!!

Gary, keep up the great work. How about an update!?!

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 07/14/09 03:42 PM

Hi guys,

I haven't done anything in over a year, no excusses. Just been lazy and enjoying my other two cars. I started to do a little when I took these pictures and then got side tracked. I'm missing out on the good weather this summer. Thanks for your interest and don't worry it will get finished. I'll post on a reg basis when I get started again.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 08/27/09 03:17 AM

Holy VICE-GRIP collection batman!!! I love it!!!
Great work on the bottom end there too. Here's a photo of mine, all done, bumpers pulled in, etc. A little motivation for ya!
Posted By: Charger69RT8

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 03/20/10 09:12 AM

I have just gone through this post / project for this first time and am replying because it desreves to be back on top. You have taken on a large project and done some very nice work so far.

Don't bother making excuses for having not worked on it. Life gets in the way. That is just fact. Believe me, I know of what I speak as my project has been on hold for 18+ years now. Thankfully it is about to resume. (Recently posted on this forum.) In seeing your history and the work you have completed thusfar I have no doubt you will finish and have yet another fine ride when done.

As for the negative poster I am sooo glad he has been removed. What an arrogant jerk. Thank you Tom!!!!

I am fortunate enough to own a 69 Charger R/T. Am I somehow better than you because of it. NOT EVEN SLIGHTLY. Nor is the guy who owns a 71 hemi E body any better than either one of us.

I too prefered the 70 & 71 Challengers, but could kick myself now for passing on some really sweat (cheap) buys back in the 70's on some of those cars. I would be just as proud as you to own one today.

Hold your head up high and keep us posted on the progress

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 03/20/10 02:37 PM

Awesome work! Don't feel bad about the time consumption I too go through stages where I can't work on my project and end up going through with-drawls. I applaud your effort of a major under taking.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 03/22/10 03:05 PM

Gary, you said that once you got back from vacation, you were going to start working on the Challenger again....looking forward to seeing some progress on it.
Posted By: TROUBLE987

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 04/14/10 12:00 AM

IM NEW HERE TO THE MOPARTS SITE,BUT IM FOLLOWING WHAT YOUR DOING REAL CLOSE..GREAT INFO..KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK..

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 04/14/10 12:59 PM

Thanks guys, I haven't looked at this board for a while, sorry I haven't posted lately.

I know I promised to get back on this project and I will here soon. Thanks again.
Posted By: Hemi ragtop

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. Dialup Beware! - 06/28/10 11:29 PM

Isn't it amazing how unibodys can hide rust?

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 02/17/11 02:54 PM

Hello everyone,

First I'd like to Thank Tom @ Moparts for providing this great website and keeping my old thread about this old car,Thanks!

I uncovered this car last weekend and wiped off the dust. I'm gonna work on it everyday, that's a promise I make to myself. I just make it a prority each day to at least spend some time on it. Keeps my head into it.
I have done a ton of work since this thing, just not on this car.

I fit up the trunk floor extensions last year but not real happy about them. So last year I bought some different ones and fit them last night. They suck too, just in different areas. I am not sure which way I'm gonna go here, they both need alot of work to make fit correctly.

What have some of you done about these things? Which one should I use?
Posted By: rhamson

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 02/17/11 03:49 PM

Quote:

The funny thing is that by making a statement like that it just says a lot about the hobby. I used the word "hobby" to define what the intent of doing all of this means. Hot rodding is an expression of the individual and not based on the worth in monetary form. If that were the case then it would be far more feasible to find and restore a Corvette or Duesenberg so that you can conform to the monetary basis that you propose.

I happen to prefer the look of the '72 Challenger over all the years despite it's muscle options. And while it may be true that a '72 and newer Challenger does not have the draw as that of a prior money year, I find the freedom of a restomod project is much more satisfying without the worry of destroying a numbers matching money car.

That to me is why it is worth all the bother and work. Besides unless you are a professional car restorer and in it for the money all cars are a loser.
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 02/17/11 04:00 PM

Good luck Challenger1. I'll be anticipating progress reports.

Re: 74 Challenger rebuild pictures. - 02/17/11 04:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The funny thing is that by making a statement like that it just says a lot about the hobby. I used the word "hobby" to define what the intent of doing all of this means. Hot rodding is an expression of the individual and not based on the worth in monetary form. If that were the case then it would be far more feasible to find and restore a Corvette or Duesenberg so that you can conform to the monetary basis that you propose.

I happen to prefer the look of the '72 Challenger over all the years despite it's muscle options. And while it may be true that a '72 and newer Challenger does not have the draw as that of a prior money year, I find the freedom of a restomod project is much more satisfying without the worry of destroying a numbers matching money car.

That to me is why it is worth all the bother and work. Besides unless you are a professional car restorer and in it for the money all cars are a loser.

For sure, I'm NOT in it for the $$ or to sell the car someday. I do it because I like challengers and I have enough spare parts to put this one back togeather. It also is very rewarding when you do this kinda of stuff, I love it.

71rm23 thank you very much, I will update it almost daily.

Now what about those stupid extensions, anybody have a preference on which one's to use?

Don't want to forget about these kinds of details.

I already transfered the bumper jack hold downs to this new extention, but I'm not sure which way to go with them.

This corner bracket don't fit worth a darn on this extention.

It fit's this one much better but it don't fit the outer fender well very well.

I pressure washed a bunch of the car and removed alot of the seam sealer. I took about 20-30 more pictures so I know where it goes when I reapply it.

\
© 2024 Moparts Forums