Moparts

67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar

Posted By: NV69B7RR

67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 10/17/09 03:11 PM

I thought I'd share the build up of my new racecar. She's a rusted 67 Belvedere post car, so she's getting a better life now as she was destined to be a parts car. Thanks to Tom Herrgert (Tallzag) for practically giving her to me. I'm excited to build a B body, as I have a lot of parts leftover from my 69 RR build and parts cars over the years. I plan on Lemons style racing with it. The theme for the car is going to be "UGLY BETTY"...

Yesterdays progress constisted of cleaning out the trunk of all the crap that belonged to the previous owners. As always there were some interesting surprises found, including: a wallet (no money, but had hospital records from a previous junkie owner), 2 vibratory cylinders wrapped in socks, hopefully from the previous owners wife (good thing I had gloves), 3 hubcaps, a spare, 2 jacks, and 2 trash cans full of crap.

Next up is:
1) Cleaning the interior out.
2) Removing the rust with the plasma cutter
3) Fabrication time

I'll be listing parts removed from the car soon in the for sale section.

Attached picture 5550768-PF.jpg

Re: 67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 10/17/09 03:13 PM

More pics.

Attached picture 5550772-DR.jpg

Re: 67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 10/17/09 03:14 PM

Another pic

Attached picture 5550773-Image.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 10/17/09 09:37 PM

Good luck with the build, looking forward to seeing your progress pics.

Re: 67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 10/21/09 05:13 PM

After removing the interior I found there was no floor. I trimmed it with the plasma cutter.. The good news is that the rockers are good. It was a rubber floor mat car and that was exlained why the floor rusted so bad.

Attached picture 5558343-Flr.jpg

Re: 67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 10/21/09 05:15 PM

The trunk was pretty rusted too, especially the tire well. Again the plasma cutter came in handy. The fuel cell will go between the frame rails soon.

Attached picture 5558348-Trk.jpg

Re: 67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 10/21/09 05:18 PM

Some of the remains of the floor and trunk. The good news is that the car is getting lighter, and lighter! The trash man ain't gonna like me this week.

Attached picture 5558353-RRst.jpg

Re: 67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 10/21/09 05:32 PM

Tire clearance looks good, may only need a small spacer. But I'll be running a slightly narrower tire than this. Its a 275/40/17, and will get replaced with a 255 or 245.

I got most of the parts pulled out to sell today. I only found a lighter in the dash, no syringes or pipes . I did find several syringe tops & burnt spoons when I pulled the seats, no needles though thank god!. No doubt that Mr Bruce Fields (the last registered previous owner) was a junkie. I'm guessing he died or lost his car around 1989 and the car sat in yard in Washington until recently.

Attached picture 5558382-17.jpg

Re: 67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 10/21/09 05:38 PM

This car has a factory VIN typo. I'm glad I don't have to go rounds with the DMV on this car. Sorry for the Cell phone pic. The VIN is RL12D75112992, and should be RL21D75....

Attached picture 5558391-VIN.jpg

Re: 67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 10/23/09 10:32 PM

Today consisted of installing the fuel cell, along with trimming and cleaning metal.

I also found some hard brown substance in a deteriorated ballon in the glove box while taking pics of the dash.. sure hope it wasn't hooped!

Attached picture 5562947-cell.jpg
Posted By: tallzag

Re: 67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 10/24/09 01:35 AM

Now I'm really, really glad I didn't try to clean out the trunk. Glad the progress is going well!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 10/24/09 11:10 PM

I know your pain all to well, keep at it.
Posted By: SRT6776

Re: 67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 10/24/09 11:37 PM

You should have sold that heroin you found to finance the build

J/K

Re: 67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 10/28/09 02:29 AM

Is that stuff good after sitting for 20 yrs?

I got tires ordered today. Won't get much done this week as I have to get the Class 1 Off Road Car ready for a race this weekend.

Tom, you didn't miss anything valuable in the trunk. It did make for a good time though. You gotta love the history some of these cars have. BTW, where was this car sitting again? I'm thinking it was an impound lot not a junkyard, as it appears this car was being driven regularly and suddenly parked for 20yrs? Hmmmm

Also theres #'s all over the car 67-625, like a lot # or something. Oddly enough they add up to 13 13.... Good thing I was born on friday the 13th!
Posted By: demon440

Re: 67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 10/28/09 04:16 AM

Wow !
I don't understand some people,
I have junked nicer cars than that.
Posted By: 88_mopar

Re: 67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 10/28/09 04:27 AM

Ive wanted to do a LeMons car since i heard about it. Have you competed before?
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: 67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 10/28/09 05:22 AM

Quote:

I have junked nicer cars than that.

Take it from a multiple Lemons race competitor/driver, building a Lemons car IS junking a car!

Re: 67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 10/31/09 07:40 PM

You can't save them all.
Posted By: OldHippie

Re: 67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 11/03/09 03:18 PM

When I cleaned out the '66 Belvedere I bought 12 years ago I found a Coke scale under the back seat.

Re: 67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 11/03/09 08:43 PM

Quote:

You can't save them all.

No? Why not?

66 Belvedere

Re: 67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 11/11/09 03:48 AM

Progress is rolling along nicely. The trunk floor is done, and the cage is coming along. I'll post more pics later. Heres the trunk floor in progress.

Hey Scott, do you want to buy it? I tried to sell it down here with no luck after I got it. So I did try to "save" it. If your guys Fury has lasted this long, I think she'll done just fine for awhile.

Attached picture 5598284-Trunkpro.jpg

Re: 67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 11/11/09 06:49 AM

Quote:

If your guys Fury has lasted this long, I think she'll done just fine for awhile.

We'll have to see about that! I'll be driving the Fury in Willows CA next week, will you? 200 plus cars entered, it should be a real "derby"

Posted By: kb73rr

Re: 67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 11/11/09 01:45 PM

I never heard of this before. Had to check it out on goooogle. Now I get it. Well, maybe not. It's cool though. It seems in keeping with the Spirit of the Event and the Spirit of the Car you should include some of the previous owners relics. The paraphenalia probably wouldn't be your best choice but those personal massagers...

Quote:

2 vibratory cylinders wrapped in socks, hopefully from the previous owners wife (good thing I had gloves)

...could come in handy. Duct tape those babies to the top of the air cleaner and instant econo ....

Attached picture 5598633-barracuda_shaker_decal_67.jpg

Re: 67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 11/12/09 01:54 PM

Scott, no I'll be in Baja for the 1000. 200 cars sounds crazy, good luck! How did the portland race go for you guys?

Re: 67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 11/12/09 06:07 PM

I didn't do the Portland race, we did test there however. Car performed really well on that track!
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: 67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 11/14/09 07:14 AM

Quote:

Tire clearance looks good, may only need a small spacer. But I'll be running a slightly narrower tire than this. Its a 275/40/17, and will get replaced with a 255 or 245.

I'd sure leave the 275 tires. Grip is everything. Just cut the fenders over the tire for clearance. I'd cut them over so when you bang against other cars the pushed in fender won't cut down a tire.

Making the fender lip from rebar is an old trick too.

This is like an old 1/4 mile circle track Hobby Stock car but made for a road course.

To get the car down low, notch the frame about the lower control arm. This will give you suspension travel when you hit the rumple stripe and someone sends you off track.

Re: 67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 11/14/09 07:46 AM

Quote:

I'd sure leave the 275 tires. Grip is everything. Just cut the fenders over the tire for clearance. I'd cut them over so when you bang against other cars the pushed in fender won't cut down a tire.

This is like an old 1/4 mile circle track Hobby Stock car but made for a road course.

To get the car down low, notch the frame about the lower control arm. This will give you suspension travel when you hit the rumple stripe and someone sends you off track.

Wise words....And this is why I was against starting a Lemons build on a desirable 2 door sedan (rusty or not) because it won't be worth a plug nickle after one race if you build it to last on the track.

Lots of and more
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: 67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 11/14/09 07:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wise words....And this is why I was against starting a Lemons build on a desirable 2 door sedan (rusty or not) because it won't be worth a plug nickle after one race if you build it to last on the track.

Lots of and more

Yes, I was sort of surprised at the car too. But it is a rust bucket. The fender are the most valuable thing on it? And they have some dents and minor rust it looks like.

The grill and trim could be taken off. You could sheet metal the headlight buckets like the 66/67 Plymouth NASCAR's did.

Re: 67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 12/03/09 07:04 AM

I got one of these window decals at the Thunderhill race, thought you'd get a kick out of it, notice the "life span of a car" bar at the bottom

Attached picture 5643080-LemonsDecal.jpg
Posted By: Australopithecus

Re: 67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 12/07/09 01:39 AM

Quote:

The grill and trim could be taken off. You could sheet metal the headlight buckets like the 66/67 Plymouth NASCAR's did.

Uh, yeah...if they're in good condition...I got some $ for ya...or I'll trade you an already slightly damaged passenger side headlight bezel and some $ if yours is good!

Re: 67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 12/19/09 11:12 PM

Good news and bad news:
Good: The cage is almost done, the trunk floor is done, parts have been getting sold, motor is done. Pics to come this week.

Bad: My local track Reno-Fernley raceway is now owned by the bank and closed indefinately....so that really may change what I do with this car. Its been snowing and in the single digits so progress has slowed.

So Scott you may get your wish.....

Re: 67 Belvedere race car project, LeMONS/Chumpcar - 12/20/09 04:47 PM

Trust me, you won't regret saving that car.

*Bummer about the raceway, I raced on it this past Lemons event, it was a fun track!
© 2024 Moparts Forums