Moparts

My first ever Dodge Truck. ('88 Ram Shorty)

Posted By: That AMC Guy

My first ever Dodge Truck. ('88 Ram Shorty) - 07/20/21 07:14 PM

My buddies dropped it off for me just this morning. 1988 Ram 100 or 150 (I'm not sure) V6, Auto. Really nothing to write home about. My friend was going to turn it into a 440 Shorty, but then latched onto a '71 Polara that deserved the 440 more. (It's actually now a Six-Pack car!) So, this truck fell to the back burner and kicked around for a few years. Well, I need a small truck, my 70-year-old mom needs a small truck.... for the price we paid, this little hunny is perfect.

My buddy previously upgraded the rear to a 2.94 Sure Grip 8-3/4, the front brakes have been changed to New Yorker brakes (so it's now 5 on 4½ all around) and it's a rust-free, 70-ish-thousand kilometer tootsie pop. Some suggested I put a V8 in, but.... really, the song of my people is sung by six-cylinder, 1/2-ton pickup choir, and it's just going to be used for dump runs, hauling the occasional large car part and for gardening purposes. It's absolutely perfect.

The plan is to put the V6 back together, get it running and have it painted. I should have all the side trim to go back on, and I think I'll put my aluminum slots on here just for fun, and perhaps a "Tuff" wheel just for fun.

Anybody got the cab drip-rail trim they'd be willing to sell me?? Or an AM/FM 8-track stereo? grin

Attached picture General Delivery 001.JPG
Attached picture General Delivery 002.JPG
Attached picture General Delivery 003.JPG
Attached picture General Delivery 004.JPG
Posted By: basketcase

Re: My first ever Dodge Truck. ('88 Ram Shorty) - 07/22/21 12:20 AM

Nice truck! I had an '88 with the V6 and a 5 speed. No speed demon, but good enough for a daily. The slots will be a great touch. I love mine.

Attached picture IMG-0412.JPG

Re: My first ever Dodge Truck. ('88 Ram Shorty) - 07/22/21 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by basketcase
Nice truck! I had an '88 with the V6 and a 5 speed. No speed demon, but good enough for a daily. The slots will be a great touch. I love mine.

Dude!! Love the stepside. If this truck had been a stepside, I'd have gone full-clown Li'l Red, but still kept the V6. Ya, it's no powerhouse, BUT it's got more grunt than the Slant ever did, and that's fine by me. And yes, wheels & tires will totally make or break any vehicle. grin

Attached picture General Delivery with Slots 005.JPG

Re: My first ever Dodge Truck. ('88 Ram Shorty) - 10/18/21 08:20 AM

Motor is pretty much in. Basically just needs ignition and some final vacuum/electrical giblets hooked up. My buddy trucked it to the muffler place today so it can get an exhaust put on. It needs the O2 sensor to run properly, so it needs the y-pipe and the whole kaboodle. With any luck, it'll be back next weekend.

Anybody knowledgeable in setting up an 8 & 3/4 rear end? My friend who swapped one in was having an issue adjusting the axle endplay and it's got like.... 1/4" on the driver side. How does one adjust axle end play?

Attached picture Another Update 001.JPG

Re: My first ever Dodge Truck. ('88 Ram Shorty) - 03/31/22 02:01 AM

Well, it's alive. Still have some engine codes, but I'm pretty sure they'll be cleared up with a couple new sensors. Found the groovy sport wheel the other day at the junkyard and one kick panel. Going back for the other kick panel next week. All the electrics work again so it'll be legal. Just gotta hurry up and wait for a friend to clear his schedule so he can c'mon down and help me set up the rear end.

Posted By: DynoDave

Re: My first ever Dodge Truck. ('88 Ram Shorty) - 03/31/22 03:53 PM

Nice! Easy turn-key EFI starting for you from now on. up

Re: My first ever Dodge Truck. ('88 Ram Shorty) - 04/01/22 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by DynoDave
Nice! Easy turn-key EFI starting for you from now on. up

Nailed it. 100% the reason I took this project on. Classic looks, but with some modern tech. Even though it's only the six, I get almost as much power as a 318, with less weight and better fuel economy. I still have a Check Engine light and a couple codes to resolve - oh, and this start was on 6 year old gas still left in the tank. So, I can imagine it's only going to get better.

What a weight off my shoulders though. I'll be honest, there were a few times I had some self-doubt. Seriously! Put one of these back together having never seen one before. No simple task!
Posted By: Drei

Re: My first ever Dodge Truck. ('88 Ram Shorty) - 04/28/22 05:58 AM

Looks like a fun project! Nice

Re: My first ever Dodge Truck. ('88 Ram Shorty) - 05/03/22 06:09 AM

Found a cool steering wheel at the junkyard. Spent a few weeks repainting it and a couple hours putting a leather wrap over it. Turned out OK, though I may revisit it later.

I also managed to score a front sway bar for a very reasonable price. That may get delivered this week. Everything is coming up Milhouse!

Attached picture Steering Wheel Installed 003.JPG
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: My first ever Dodge Truck. ('88 Ram Shorty) - 05/10/22 04:26 AM

Man you did good. I love these things, mainly the 70s ones. The steering wheel is killer. Just love those.

Make sure you have the lock on the pass side axle or your buddy will be wasting a trip. That’s not a parts house help rack score if needed.
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: My first ever Dodge Truck. ('88 Ram Shorty) - 08/04/22 08:41 PM

I like that wheel! Nice find.

Re: My first ever Dodge Truck. ('88 Ram Shorty) - 08/15/22 06:23 AM

Just a little update:

Got the rear end repaired. The axle adjuster on the passenger side somehow got cross-threaded; so I pulled the axle out, took it to my friends' place and for the cost of lunch, he set me up with a new adjuster and swapped everything over. The axle got put back in adjusted and everything looks/feels/sounds 100%. All engine codes are GONE. Truck has gone around the block a few times now - I've put something like 16 kilometers on it. Trans shifts at 15 & 25 like it should.

Found a front sway bar, that was nice!

Had a little issue with a weepy head gasket but 3/4 of a bottle of "Head Gasket in a bottle" cured that right up.

This pic is from a few days ago, but tonight I put on the mirrors, the front side markers and put on a new set of wipers so I should be legal!

I had ordered some new Cooper Cobras from a local tire place. They said they should have them by Friday.... but they did not call. Hoping they call tomorrow. I'll head out in the A.M. and get all the legal paperwork straightened out, throw some insurance on it and with any luck.... get some new tires on her.

Have been pulling my hair out trying to find a place to paint it. Have considered doing it myself; but by the time I buy all the stuff needed to paint a vehicle.... I'm halfway into a paintjob by that point. So, this Hot Rod shop about an hour away says he might could squeeze it in next Spring or Summer. I guess I can wait. I DO intend on putting the lower rubber trim back on, the bright wheel arches and maybe some pin striping. I would like to find a more sporty mirror than just the square plain jane mirrors it has. Would love something like a 71-74 B or E body painted sport mirror.

Oh yeah, I also had a set of them General Motors 4-note horn sets I was going to put in moms' Hyundai.... but they were too big to fit anywhere in the car. I put them in the truck instead! G-D thing honks like a freight train now! laugh2

Attached picture THE TRUCK LIVES 008.JPG
Posted By: basketcase

Re: My first ever Dodge Truck. ('88 Ram Shorty) - 08/20/22 11:09 PM

thumbs
© 2024 Moparts Forums