Moparts

70 Super Bee resto update

Posted By: DPelletier

70 Super Bee resto update - 02/16/09 11:12 PM

I just thought I'd post some updated pictures now that I'm back working on the car. There is a link to my site under my sig for those that want to see more; just click on the hyperlink and the pics are on the second page.

Feel free to critique, but keep in mind I am building a race car, not a show car!

Dave

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 02/16/09 11:13 PM

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 02/16/09 11:14 PM

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 02/16/09 11:15 PM

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 02/16/09 11:16 PM

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 02/16/09 11:18 PM

And one of the car;

Cheers,
Dave
Posted By: Scotts72Rallye

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 02/16/09 11:21 PM

Quote:

Feel free to critique, but keep in mind I am building a race car, not a show car!
Dave

You could have fooled me! Very nice attention to detail and the shops looks great also.
Scott

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 02/17/09 12:10 AM

Thanks for the kind words, Scott!

Dave
Posted By: basketcase

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 02/17/09 01:21 AM

that engine would look alot better in my road runner.......
excellent work btw
Posted By: Kidsixpack

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 02/17/09 01:46 AM

Dave
The car looks great! The color really pops in the sun light! I thing the color combo is great to see! What are you going to do for garage art when you get all that stuff back on the car? I really enjoyed the story behind the resto. too!
KID

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 02/17/09 05:49 AM

Thanks guys. No worries on the garage art, I have accumulated enough "spare" parts to cover a couple walls!

Steve, I took a look at your A12 resto and can only say

Cheers,
Dave

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 02/17/09 06:21 AM

Thanks Dave! My lift off car was my first resto. and it came out better than I could have planned. I really would like to do another full resto., but I think my window of opportunity has shut for now. I've been looking for a certian 71 to round out the hive.
KID
Posted By: jrwoodjoe

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 02/17/09 06:04 PM

I agree....looks pretty sweet to me. Going to look really nice when the engine is set in the car to contrast with the car color.

Joe
Posted By: 70shaker6pk

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 02/17/09 06:11 PM

Very NICE!!
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 02/18/09 12:17 AM

Dave: Friday's my last day at work for awhile. PM me if you want to get it running!

Sheldon

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 02/18/09 12:48 AM

Sheldon;

PM sent!!

Dave
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 02/18/09 01:22 AM

That is one hot looking car.
Posted By: PAINT IT BLACK

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 02/23/09 09:37 PM

Wow. Looking fantastic!

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 02/23/09 11:18 PM

thanks Steve! I got a little more work done on the weekend: installed the emergency brake assy and cables, throttle plate, rear bumper, front markers, got the rear taillights ready to paint and some other odds and sods, but it sounds like you are ahead of me!

Dave
Posted By: cptn60

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 02/24/09 07:11 PM

Looks great Do have a question though. you mention it being a race car. Why a power steering chuck instead of a manual? No flames, just curious

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 02/24/09 07:33 PM

Quote:

Looks great Do have a question though. you mention it being a race car. Why a power steering chuck instead of a manual? No flames, just curious

Fair question. Early in the build I decided not to modify the car in terms of adding and deleting options. It's actually been a bit of a hard thing to stick to at times. Some of the things I considered;

- manual brakes. Car is coded for power disks

- power steering. That doesn't show up on the Lynch Rd. fender tag, but there was a power steering box in place when I bought the car. Looks original, but who knows

- torque boxes. Like most '70 440-6 autos, this car never had factory torque boxes. I had the urge to add them, but after some reflection decided I didn't need them for the traction-limited classes I intend to run.

- radio delete. Again, not on the Lynch Rd. fender tag, but there was a factory hole in the fender for an antenna. This one I probably would have done except the radio "delete" woodgrain plate I bought doesn't match the repop woodgrain dash.

There are a lot of purpose built cars and clones in Pure Stock and I wanted this one to be a little more true to how it was built. I have no illusions of being anywhere near the top runners anyway; just looks like a fun thing to do. I just need it to run strong enough so I don't embarrass myself!

Cheers,
Dave
Posted By: BloFish

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 02/26/09 01:35 AM

Looking good

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **update, motor in !** - 03/02/09 08:03 PM

I finally got the motor in this weekend and thought I'd post some pics;

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **update, motor in !** - 03/02/09 08:03 PM

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **update, motor in !** - 03/02/09 08:13 PM

There's Vic in behind, Sheldon (Runcharger) on the left and me on the right. Tryin' to make sure the shiney paint doesn't get scratched!

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **update, motor in !** - 03/02/09 08:14 PM

on it's way down...

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **update, motor in !** - 03/02/09 08:20 PM

In place and safe and sound!

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **update, motor in !** - 03/02/09 08:21 PM

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **update, motor in !** - 03/02/09 08:22 PM

Now all I have to do is bolt on about 796 other pces!

Dave

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **update, motor in !** - 03/03/09 12:19 AM

VERY, VERY NICE!!
Scott

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **update, motor in !** - 03/03/09 01:45 AM

The car looks even better in person! Dave's got enough parts that he's going to build 2 more Super Bees after he gets this one fired up.

Sheldon

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **update, motor in !** - 03/03/09 04:11 AM

The motor would still be on the dolly if I didn't have help. Thanks Sheldon!

Dave
Posted By: burdar

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **update, motor in !** - 03/03/09 04:19 AM

That looks great!!!

What did you use on the exhaust manifolds?
Posted By: 69bronzeT5

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **update, motor in !** - 03/03/09 06:06 AM

Quote:

The car looks even better in person! Dave's got enough parts that he's going to build 2 more Super Bees after he gets this one fired up.

Sheldon

If that's true...Dave when I bring my Coronet home from Cranbook, I'll stop by your place and you can throw some parts on it Great job guys! Dave, get that beast done for Mopar Madness

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **update, motor in !** - 03/03/09 03:40 PM

Quote:

That looks great!!!

What did you use on the exhaust manifolds?

I used the Eastwood manifold paint. It looks pretty good so far, but I've heard conflicting stories of how long it holds up.

Of course, correct would be bare with heavy orange overspray, but I couldn't bring myself to do that.

If I was to do it again (I painted them 3 years ago!) I'd try Scott Smith's "baked in oil" method.

Dave

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **update, motor in !** - 03/03/09 03:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Sheldon

If that's true...Dave when I bring my Coronet home from Cranbook, I'll stop by your place and you can throw some parts on it Great job guys! Dave, get that beast done for Mopar Madness

I may have a couple of extra pces here and there....

Dave

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **update, motor in !** - 03/03/09 04:29 PM

Dave
Looks fantastic! I use the Eastwood stuff too and I've never had to redo them! They have heald up perfect! I did them in 95 and stripped them in 05 just because I did the car not because they needed it
KID

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **update, motor in !** - 03/03/09 05:55 PM

Excellent; hopefully mine will last that long too!

Dave

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **update, motor in !** - 03/04/09 02:43 AM

You working on it Saturday again Dave? If so I'll pop over if I am in town.

Sheldon

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **update, motor in !** - 03/04/09 04:37 PM

Quote:

You working on it Saturday again Dave? If so I'll pop over if I am in town.

Sheldon

I wish. I gotta go to Scottsdale for a week; back on the 16th....

Are you going to Vegas? If not, I'll be back working on the car on the 21st weekend.

Thanks for the offer.

Dave

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 04/09/09 07:37 PM

Well, it almost looks like a car now;

( the grills haven't been painted correctly yet, but I threw them on for the pics)

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 04/09/09 07:38 PM

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 04/09/09 07:40 PM

....well that's about it for now. Still have to do the dash, wiring, fuel system, exhaust, interior, etc. etc.

Cheers,

Dave
Posted By: anlauto

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 04/09/09 10:46 PM

You haven't got that done yet?

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 04/09/09 10:55 PM

Quote:

You haven't got that done yet?

Never you mind! Hey, whatcha doin' this weekend.......

You're probably gonna have 50 cars done in the same time frame as my resto!

Dave

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 04/09/09 11:42 PM

Quote:

Hey, whatcha doin' this weekend.......

Wait until you see the pictures I post Monday...

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 04/10/09 12:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe I won't look!

Dave
Posted By: FuryUs

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 04/10/09 01:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe I won't look!

Dave

Yeah! That'll learn 'im!
Bee looks great!

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 04/10/09 08:12 AM

Is that dust on top of the Bee in those photos?

Sheldon

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 04/10/09 06:03 PM

Nah, just the light.

What are you doing up so late? Got Friday off?

I have to go into work for a couple hours to attend a conference call. I'm going to try to get the heater box and fuel system in this weekend. Stop by for a beverage if you are around.

Cheers,
Dave
Posted By: PAINT IT BLACK

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 04/20/09 03:07 AM

Dave, I am jealous. Congrats. Very exciting to see it coming together.
Posted By: Edison62

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 04/20/09 03:28 PM

Very..very nice! PM me if you have any left over parts you won't be needing let me know as I'm just starting! LOL!! Do you know George Dean's car?F-8 Super Bee out on the island.

Bryan

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 04/23/09 06:49 PM

Quote:

Very..very nice! PM me if you have any left over parts you won't be needing let me know as I'm just starting! LOL!! Do you know George Dean's car?F-8 Super Bee out on the island.

Bryan

I know George; I've been corresponding with him for a few years now. Great guy. We haven't been able to get together yet, but I hope to see his car in person one of these days. I had a pic of his car as a screensaver for motivation for a long time!

Cheers,
Dave

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 04/24/09 09:05 PM

Almost done I see. Come on Dave, you're running out of time for Mopar Madness I know how it feels though, I'm working to get my Duster ready for the show. If it's done in time, do you plan on bringing it down for the show? Oh and what's this I hear about a F8 one on the Island? Too bad I'm not bringing my Coronet home until October (I'll be moved by then to 100 Mile House) or there would be 2 F8 Coronets/Super Bees.

-Cody-

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 07/31/09 03:16 AM

Last update April 2009, WELL?

Sheldon

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 07/31/09 04:53 AM

Sheldon, I'm sure Dave will chime in soon. I actually asked him how the car was going a couple of days ago via PM....

"My car is still waiting for the column and the seats and some touchup at the bodyshop in the trunk area."

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 07/31/09 11:22 AM

You mean that thing not assembled yet ??????

What's going on ????????????
Posted By: nakita7

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 09/25/09 10:01 PM

Looks great!

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 10/02/09 04:22 PM

Thanks.

I thought I'd take the time to give everyone an update (more of an anti-update, really! )

As Cody mentioned, I ran into a couple snags with the car;

- When I went to put in the gas tank I discovered (to my horror) that I didn't have any brackets for the straps. Seems that the previous owner didn't bother putting them back on when they did thier "hack job" trunk floor replacement. When my bodyshop redid the floor properly they didn't know the brackets were supposed to be there and I didn't catch it until I was underneath the car with the J bolts in my hand!
I bought some repop brackets, had them welded in and my car has been waiting for a call from the bodyshop for the last 2 months now!

Also, my upholstery shop stripped the seats and found the front bench was too badly rusted to use. It took me a couple of months to find a replacement. They have the new core now.

I'm still waiting for my steering column....That reminds me to e-mail Jules.....

In addition my father's cancer has returned and my wife of 20 years has decided that being married to me isn't what she wants after all.... ......the upshot is that I haven't been focusing on the car for the last few months. This season's just about done anyway so I will endeavor to have it on the road in the spring.

Sorry for the downer of a post guys. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?

Cheers,
Dave

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 10/02/09 07:22 PM

Dave: Sorry man, I thought I was having a bad year. Want to go on a road trip to Phoenix next week to get my new (70) truck?

Sheldon

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 10/02/09 07:57 PM

Dave,
First off I'm very sorry to hear your father's cancer has returned. I'll put him in my prayers and I'm sure others here will do the same. Second, I wish you strength in dealing with your marital problems. And last but not least keep pounding away at your car because that thing is going to be so bad azz when your finished.
Best of luck,
Scott

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 10/02/09 08:12 PM

Sorry to hear about your string of bad luck Dave. Like they say, it gets worse before it gets better!

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 10/02/09 10:53 PM

Quote:

Dave: Sorry man, I thought I was having a bad year. Want to go on a road trip to Phoenix next week to get my new (70) truck?

Sheldon

I'd love to, but I just got back from a business trip to Newfoundland for a week and my desk looks like a hurricane hit it!

Sorry we haven't had the opportunity to have this conversation in person; I've been spending a lot of my "spare" time down in Hope with my Dad.

Take care.

Dave

Oh, and thanks for the kind words guys.

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 07/05/11 04:43 PM

Wow, time flies!

I just thought I'd give a bit of a bump in anticipation of posting some new pictures and providing a bit of an update.

On a personal note, my dad's cancer is in remission and though my wife is now my ex-wife, I have a great girlfriend who makes me very happy!

Life has gotten in the way of my resto, but I've been back at it over the last month or two.

Currently it is completely done and running with the exception of the following;

- I have a problem with the brakes; still not sure if it's the master cyl, the booster or the linkage but something isn't right as there is 1/2" of travel on the rod BEFORE the brake pedal is depressed.

- Car finally runs; we took great pains to ensure a trouble free start up including, priming the oil system, filling the engine with Crane cams break-in oil and additive, pressure testing the fuel system, etc. First try; no power....after trying to track down the problem for an hour, we realized that the amp meter was pooched; THANK YOU AUTOINSTRUMENTS! Bypass the Amp meter and try again.....nope, nothing....another hour to figure out it's the neutral safety switch (also new) so we bypass that and she fired up right away. Ran it for 25 - 30 minutes to break in the cam. Sounds great with the 2 1/2 TTI and Dynomax Ultraflows....I can hardly wait to drive it!

- So I swap the neutral safety switch for a fresh one, and ........nothing! more tracing and we realize that the new harness is no good (thanks M&H! ). Cut the moulded rubber plug apart and find the broken connection to the center spade terminal; solder and reinstall....now it works!

- Still have to install the carpet, rear door panels, rear wheelwell moulding, seatbelts, seats and misc. interior trim...... and of course, figure out my brake problem. Current goal is the Old Time drags and car show in Mission July 30th and 31st, but I've had many completion dates go by the wayside!!

wish me luck and I'll try to post some recent pictures.

Dave

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 07/06/11 05:11 AM

Dave, good news on your Dad (and girlfriend)!

Also, congrats on the car.... so close! You'll be cruzin soon! I'm shooting for a completion date of Aug 12th!

All the best,
Bryan

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 07/07/11 04:51 PM

You'll probably beat me to the finish!

I look forward to seeing pics of your car when done. Don't forget to check with me if you need something; I still have extra parts and I have no stomach for selling the stuff.....rather help a buddy. Us '70 Coronet guys have to stick together, right?

Dave

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 07/08/11 01:05 AM

I forget what this car looks like. Nice to hear it actually runs, I hope no leaks.

Sheldon

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 07/08/11 04:40 PM

Yeah, hard to believe it was over a year ago when we installed the drivetrain....

There was a minor fuel leak that I *think* is resolved and the rad hose blew off the thermostat housing but that was before the thermostat opened.......plus Vic insisted that we use just straight water until everything proved out which was a great idea.

I'm thinking I'll be finishing up with the brakes and starting on the remaining interior stuff on Sunday if you want to come by for a beer and a listen (I promise not to put you to work like last time!!)

Dave

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 07/08/11 10:49 PM

.. just got this in the mail..

Attached picture 6720014-IMG_8405.JPG

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 07/08/11 11:06 PM

Nice.

My plan was to run my old plate holder on the back from the '80's but it won't work with the gas tank access....
It says "catch me if you can".

Dave

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 07/10/11 01:27 AM

I'll be there Dave, unless I get crazy and leave for Langley at 5:00.

Sheldon
Posted By: 68427vette

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 07/11/11 10:11 PM

hope all is well,, and you got to keep your car!! ,, and enjoy with you new ride (girlfriend)

old mango,, is wanting some love,, not till this winter....

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 10/04/11 08:15 PM

Well, just thought I'd post another update;

- as some of you know, I had an accident with the car when it was 99.9% done (just needed the carpet and seat belts installed and a wheel alignment). link here: https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1

Anywho, the short version is the tranny malfunctioned and the car took off and mangled the N96 Ramcharger hood. I purchased another one which needed some work and it's currently at the body shop undergoing minor rust repair and bodywork. Fortunately I had purchased an extra gallon of PPG EF8 paint.

I'm supposed to take the car in to the tranny shop in the next week or so to re & re and rebuild the tranny. Best guess so far is that the clutches somehow fused together and the tranny bumped from park into Reverse due to incorrect linkage setting and interference with a brake line. Because the clutches were fused, Reverse is now a forward gear apparently.

I'll post some pics of the new hood when I get to the bodyshop.

This car WILL get done eventually!

Dave

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 10/04/11 08:17 PM

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 10/06/11 03:31 AM

Dang: We'll have to look and see if we can find a set of those old Remington XT120 60 series snow tires for it so I can go for my first ride!

Sheldon

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 10/06/11 05:03 PM

Quote:

Dang: We'll have to look and see if we can find a set of those old Remington XT120 60 series snow tires for it so I can go for my first ride!

Sheldon

Yep, looks like my ride around the block was destined to last me a long time!

Just talked to the tranny guy yesterday and he said he's booked for the next 3 weeks. I told him that it wasn't a rush but once I have snow on the hill, the car isn't going anywhere (even in the trailer). That would mean re&re the tranny in my shop and taking it to him.......not a huge deal but he wanted the complete car to make absolutely sure everything worked.

gonna call on my EBAY hood hinges I bought two weeks ago which haven't shown up yet.

Dave

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 10/06/11 06:08 PM

Man, I really feel for you Dave. I"m sure you are taking it pretty hard since you were that close to being done. Glad it wasn't worse and more importantly that you are OK. Take a deep breath and just fix it back up.

Joe

Re: 70 Super Bee resto **Another update !** - 10/06/11 07:44 PM

Thanks Joe,

It certainly could have been worse. I'll just fix it and move forward but man, this resto has been a challenge! Moving the car 1/2 done to the new house, a divorce, this accident......waiting for the locusts!!

This was going to be a 2-3 year project costing around $70k.......

Dave
Posted By: 19cuda73

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 10/08/11 01:26 AM

Dave sorry about your project just bring it back again.

Dennis
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 10/09/11 03:28 AM

Good to see you're still pluggin away at it. It will get done, keep at it!
Posted By: ogopogo

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 10/10/11 05:21 AM

Yikes ! sorry to hear of your bad luck,I just sent 3 sets of b body hood hinges to the crusher in my 67 coronet parts car(im moving right now).If you dont have the brakes straightened out yet i have a box of b body power brake linkages/rods/pivots etc you can borrow,good luck dude.
Posted By: UCUDANT

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 10/10/11 01:16 PM

Dave, sorry to read about your misfortunes. That'll be an incredible car when your done

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 10/11/11 01:09 PM

Dave.. I'm sure you've seen this!

1970 SUPERBEE ORIGINAL FRESH AIR HOOD, TAKEN OFF 6PK CAR. $350.00 NO SCOOPS OR AIR BOX. WOULD RATHER NOT SHIP. 70 MILES WEST OF CHICAGO. RTS.1@COMCAST.NET OR 815-520-3227 TILL 10PM CENTRAL TIME.

Bryan

Attached picture 6866040-6863101-100_3257.jpg

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 10/11/11 05:05 PM

Thanks guys. Bryan, that hood would have been just the thing; I paid $1500.00 for one needing some work, but it should be ready for paint this week.

Dave

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 10/13/11 08:23 AM

Quote:

1970 SUPERBEE ORIGINAL FRESH AIR HOOD, TAKEN OFF 6PK CAR. $350.00 NO SCOOPS OR AIR BOX. WOULD RATHER NOT SHIP. 70 MILES WEST OF CHICAGO. RTS.1@COMCAST.NET OR 815-520-3227 TILL 10PM CENTRAL TIME.

Bryan

Hot damn that is a good deal! Only if I had the extra money Sorry to hear about your incident with the hood Dave. The car looks fantastic and I can't wait to see it 100% done. Your car and Bryan's car give me lots of inspiration for mine

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 10/13/11 04:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Bryan

Hot damn that is a good deal! Only if I had the extra money Sorry to hear about your incident with the hood Dave. The car looks fantastic and I can't wait to see it 100% done. Your car and Bryan's car give me lots of inspiration for mine

thanks Cody. That IS a heck of a deal on the hood; If it was within reasonable driving distance, I would buy it just to have.

Dave

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 11/09/11 11:07 PM

IT LIVES!!

http://youtu.be/Ofma0go-jJk

well, at least it did! just a link to a short video a buddy did up on his IPhone of the 'Bee's inagural voyage (short thought it was)

Hoping to have the tranny fixed monday and the new hood test fitted wednesday.....

Dave
Posted By: crowbait

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 11/10/11 01:49 AM

Nice.

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 11/10/11 02:01 AM

Thanks!

Dave

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 11/10/11 02:20 AM

Dave..... great vid...... I'm sure I could smell the rubber burning! Car sounds great....

Congrats....

Bryan

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 11/10/11 05:33 PM

Thank you. The motor was a rare "pleasant surprise" compared to many letdowns with repop parts and other components. It was just a short drive, but it felt stronger than I expected.....I'm sure the 4.10's didn't hurt!

Dave
Posted By: 70RT27N

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 11/10/11 06:08 PM

Beautiful car.

Love the color combo.
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 11/11/11 10:43 PM

Very nice job Dave

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 11/14/11 05:43 PM

Thanks for the kind words guys. Supposed to take the car to the tranny shop to fix whatever is wrong internally, but I have an inch of snow on my driveway (steep and loooooong) so I'm not sure I'll be able to get it out.

Dave

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 11/14/11 07:45 PM

Quote:

IT LIVES!!

http://youtu.be/Ofma0go-jJk

Dave

Joe
Posted By: SixPackRT

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 12/01/11 07:48 PM

Dave, I know its been a long time coming. Hang in there! I know guys like you and Bryan can appreciate my 9 year extravaganza!!! Finally finished

Scott

Attached picture 6945435-Finished.JPG

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 12/01/11 10:28 PM

Thanks Scott,

I finally got it in (and out of) the tranny shop; it was a disaster with 3" of snow on the ground, but I won't bore you with the details! Suffice to say the tranny is fixed, though I did end up paying him AGAIN. ....most expensive 727 rebuild EVER now!

I told the bodyshop that they need to come to my shop to test fit and install the hood and they agreed.....car is going NOWHERE until the spring thaw, now.

That is one heck of a beautiful R/T! Man it wears that color nicely and the wheels and tires are

I know I've seen pics before but do you have a photobucket link or anything? I'd love to look at your resto pics.

Dave

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 12/01/11 10:30 PM

Quote:

Dave, I know its been a long time coming. Hang in there! I know guys like you and Bryan can appreciate my 9 year extravaganza!!! Finally finished

Scott

Scott, your car looks beautiful!!! I'm thinking that we should start a "Dog Dish" club....lol! Do you have a link to share for resto pictures or ??? Also, what are you running for tires? Feel free to PM me as to not hijack the thread.

Bryan

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 12/01/11 10:32 PM

Ahh; don't worry about hijacking the thread; it's all '70 Coronets so it's all good.....besides, I'd be interested too.

Dave

ps. 9 years.....that makes me feel good; I think I'll be 7 years into mine this spring.

Dave

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 12/01/11 11:35 PM

Quote:

Ahh; don't worry about hijacking the thread; it's all '70 Coronets so it's all good.....besides, I'd be interested too.

Dave

ps. 9 years.....that makes me feel good; I think I'll be 7 years into mine this spring.

Dave

Hmmmm bought mine around March 2009... got it hauled east April of 09... started collecting parts and the car went in for resto in late June/July. Resto was started in late November of 2009 so I'm @ the two year mark! Not bad all things considered.....lol!

Bryan

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 12/01/11 11:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Dave

Dave

Hmmmm bought mine around March 2009... got it hauled east April of 09... started collecting parts and the car went in for resto in late June/July. Resto was started in late November of 2009 so I'm @ the two year mark! Not bad all things considered.....lol!

Bryan

Yeah, yeah; I know.....nevermind you!

Dave

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 12/02/11 05:21 AM

Bryan, Your doing great compared to us two!!!! Actually I started mine in 2003. I was off a year

It seems so long ago below is a before pic.

I went thru three different tire combos....14" rollers, 15" Steelies w/Goodyear 775/15 power cusions fronts and 29 x 12.5 MT Sportsmans rears, and finally 15" Steelies w/Goodyear Polyglass F70's fronts and Polyglass L60's Rears. I'm happy with the last combo, as it looks as factory as possible but fills the back wheel wells.

I have photos of everything but am not photobucket savvy

I will look into it, but if you need anything please ask, chances are I have pics.

Sorry for the hijack Dave! No more I promise. I'm glad your past the issues. I dealt with similar setbacks, and sometimes you need to walk away for a few days/weeks/months. Next thing we know its years later!

Scott

Attached picture 6946357-xDr.Side1-2.jpg
Posted By: 68427vette

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 12/02/11 04:03 PM

that car would look awsome with a RAM AIR hood.

i bought scotts, minty hood!!!

i'm putt'n color coded steelys on my go mango

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 12/03/11 01:28 AM

Dave: So the trans is repaired, the car is running and you just have to add a few bits and the hood? Thats great. I snuck home early to take the Hemi for a ride today, are you sure you aren't taking the car out til spring? Dry pavement breeds adolescent behaviour!

Sheldon

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 12/03/11 08:58 PM

Hi Sheldon!

Well, winter is fully engaged up at my place and getting the car up my driveway would require chains or a winch! Funny how just a couple hundred feet in elevation can change things.

There is a little more to do, aside from misc. interior bits and carpet;

- yes, the hood needs to be finished, painted and installed
- car still doesn't idle down; Blair claims a vacuum leak....
- front signals and horn don't work
- needs a wheel alignment

There is also the ramcharger duct and rear WOM's (ordered a set from Dale's based on Bryan's experience) but those things aren't critical to taking the car out.

.....no, I'm afraid spring is it for me.....if I'm lucky!

Dave
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 12/03/11 10:48 PM

what a GREAT thread...
Dave congrats on a job well done! The test ride video was super cool to watch.

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 12/04/11 07:43 AM

Dave sounds like a few minor things.

Front signals are probably ground. Horns may be to. I chased a horn problem around for two nights. I finally figured it out. I overlooked my NOS date coded relay (that you can't even see). It turned out my problem was inside the actual relay. I took it apart and actually bent the arm closer to the contact so it would work properly. I dont know if thats your problem but if it is, maybe I can save you a headache!

Scott

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 12/05/11 05:54 PM

Quote:

Dave sounds like a few minor things.

Front signals are probably ground. Horns may be to. I chased a horn problem around for two nights. I finally figured it out. I overlooked my NOS date coded relay (that you can't even see). It turned out my problem was inside the actual relay. I took it apart and actually bent the arm closer to the contact so it would work properly. I dont know if thats your problem but if it is, maybe I can save you a headache!

Scott

Thanks, I'll check it out.....it's been so long, I can't remember where the relay even is?

Dave

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 12/05/11 07:18 PM

"I can't remember where the relay even is"

I hear you!!!

Its under the dash just left of the steering wheel. The FSM actually has a good troubleshooting section for horns. Bad ground most likely the culprit Scratching that beautiful paint to bare metal is never easy.

Scott

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 12/05/11 07:44 PM

Quote:

"I can't remember where the relay even is"

I hear you!!!

Its under the dash just left of the steering wheel. The FSM actually has a good troubleshooting section for horns. Bad ground most likely the culprit Scratching that beautiful paint to bare metal is never easy.

Scott

Thanks!

I've had several ground related issues for that exact reason. I had nothing on the taillights until I crawled in the trunk and did some sanding to get a decent ground......I just HATE sanding away fresh new paint!

Dave

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 08/16/13 08:53 PM

Well, I know it's been a loooooooooong time coming, but the car made it to it's first show;

Dave

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 08/16/13 08:56 PM

Posted By: a12superbee

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 08/17/13 05:19 AM

F8 and black is a killer combination, I'd love to have it.
Posted By: Shoozy

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 08/17/13 03:39 PM

Very nice Dave.
Posted By: burdar

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 08/17/13 04:39 PM

That turned out NICE! I'd love to see some repro tires on it though. Go ahead...have some fun and burn those off. Then you can go Polyglas.
Posted By: basketcase

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 08/17/13 05:41 PM

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 08/17/13 06:44 PM

The car looks even better in person and it sounds great too!

Sheldon

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 08/17/13 07:25 PM

Thanks for the comments guys; this one was really a challenge!

Dave

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 08/17/13 07:27 PM

Quote:

That turned out NICE! I'd love to see some repro tires on it though. Go ahead...have some fun and burn those off. Then you can go Polyglas.

The rims and tires were one of the first things I purchased and I screwed it up. If I were to do it over, I'd have gotten a set of 15 x 7 steelies with polys on it and another set of the grey TT's with the radials for driving. I'll get the poly's eventually as they really make a resto look finished and correct IMO.

Dave
Posted By: crowbait

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 08/18/13 04:06 PM

Nice car.
Posted By: moopa

Re: 70 Super Bee resto update - 08/18/13 04:49 PM

Looks wonderful Dave, great job! Looked like a nice show with some cool cars in the background!

Mark
© 2024 Moparts Forums