Moparts

1968 Roadrunner Post w/ 6.1L Hemi, 6 speed, and IRS

Posted By: 70B5Cuda

1968 Roadrunner Post w/ 6.1L Hemi, 6 speed, and IRS - 07/26/16 03:48 PM

[Linked Image]

I first saw this car in 2000. It was a really solid western Kansas car but was missing fenders,hood,grill,auto transmission, radiator, front seat, differential, etc. I had a deal struck at $1200 but I came back with the money and the seller backed out because someone else had offered more $$$. Lesson learned: always have a trailer and cash when you go to buy....but that's ok because I was a broke college kid and would've had to sell it. I tracked the buyer and car down in July of 2015 and bought the car-the price was much higher this time. I had to buy this 68 Roadrunner post car, a 68 roadrunner post parts car, and a 69 GTX with no drivetrain (fender tag showed it to be a red 4 speed, dana 60 car) in order to get a good deal. I sold the 68 post RR parts car and the 69 GTX to recoup some money.

I've really struggled with what to do with this car for many reasons. I wanted to keep this build simple because I already have a marathon 70 Barracuda build ( http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/85958-Heavily-modified-1970-Cuda?highlight=) that is almost 9 years in the making. I wanted to keep it simple...I really did...because:

1. I've just got way too many projects going for a guy in his mid 30's with 5 kids. Although I have too many projects, it's getting to be difficult to find a car this clean so I have a problem turning loose of solid projects.

2. This car has it's numbers matching 383, but I already have one original mopar (a 69 survivor charger w/ 383) and I'm more of a restomod guy. I want fuel injection. I've also parted out over a lot of SRT8s over the past couple years so I have all the 6.1L hemi engines I could ever want.

3. I just like to shift. Originally I wanted to mate an A833 4 speed behind the Gen 3 hemi because it would be easy and I wouldn't have to cut up the floor pans/tunnel/torsion bar crossmember. I had all the 4 speed parts collected, rebuilt, and ready to go. Then I came to my senses. I had been driving my 6 speed 2010 Challenger SRT8 and had been loving every shift. I kept wondering "why go easy with a 4 speed when I won't be happy with it?". Then I added up the value of all the 4 speed parts and hydraulic throwout setup and it was crazy how much I could sell it all for. I had several TR6060's and pedal/hydraulic clutch setups in stock from late model Challengers I had parted. Decision made....CUT UP THE FLOOR AND TUNNEL!!

Ultimately, I want something reliable that gets 20mpg. I don't want to wait 5 years for it. I want to be able to drive it to work 1 or 2 days a week (60 mile round trip) and not worry about it being parked in the parking lot. I post this with the hope that I can maintain momentum since people may be checking up on the project. Wish me luck.

I finally started rolling on this project in about September of 2016. Luckily, I have a great buddy Matt, who is an EXCELLENT fabricator. I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't have his expertise to lean on. Matt has never steered me wrong and he always has great ideas. Matt is the one doing all the metal work. I'll stick to mechanical work. Metal is his thing.

Video added Febn 2024 with preview video of finished product and story of how I found/bought it:

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 07/26/16 03:52 PM

What drew me to this car was the solid nature of the frame rails and torsion bar crossmember.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 07/26/16 03:54 PM

I was blown away by how solid the trunk floor was. Usually B body floor pans are toast by this age.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 07/26/16 04:05 PM

The fenders look terrible but they're really quite solid.

It had lots of rash/dents down the sides. The right quarter has so many dents/waves that's its not worth trying to save. I'm sure someone could have...

The doors and quarters are dented but solid. The lower quarters show some rust behind the wheels.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 07/26/16 05:54 PM

At first glance, the rear window channel and both rear lower corners looked really solid. From a distance it looks like it has a vinyl top but once you get close, you realize that a previous owner used a rubberized coating to simulate a vinyl top. I think it's kind of ingenious!

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 07/26/16 05:58 PM

The dash was mostly complete and in decent shape. I had the dash frame blasted and powder coated and I ordered a new dash wiring harness with the original intent of rebuilding the original; but my plans soon changed. More to come on the dash...

It wasn't a completely loaded car, but it had a good color combo: red with white/red interior.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 07/26/16 05:59 PM

Remember these nasty looking fenders???

It had lots of rash/dents down the sides. The right quarter has so many dents/waves that's its not worth trying to save. I'm sure someone could have...

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 07/26/16 06:04 PM

After owning the car a year, I finally got tired of looking at the fenders and pulled them. I used a heat gun to warm up the rubberized undercoating on the back side and scraped it all off little by little. The fenders were originally from a satellite and had trim running down the top edge. A buddy welded up all the emblem holes, wheel lip trim holes, and the trim holes along the top ridge of both fenders. Then I took them to a local metal finishing company and they used aluminum oxide to strip the fenders. When I picked them up I was pleased. The guy who owned the business was blown away by how solid they were. They do have a few dings but nothing bad. This is how they looked after picking them up

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 09/07/16 01:46 AM

The fenders were cleaned with wax/grease remover and then fender metal was roughed in with hammer/dolly, spoons, and files.

The antenna hole was welded closed.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 09/07/16 01:52 AM

Metal was then ground with mud hog and 80 grit. Edges were hit with rolls scotchbrite one wire wheel. The entire surface was then DA'd again with 80 grit before being cleaned again with wax and grease remover.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 09/07/16 01:54 AM

Then fenders, nose filler panel, and radiator support were sprayed with 2 coats of Spies and Hecker etch primer, followed by 2 coats of Spies and Hecker 5400 surfacer.

Posted By: Morty426

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 09/09/16 07:24 PM

I'm with you on #3

How come the 70 Bee is not listed on your list?

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 09/10/16 03:34 AM

Originally Posted By Morty426
I'm with you on #3

How come the 70 Bee is not listed on your list?

I wish I could have kept the Bee. It was a really solid 383/4 speed post car. I felt I needed to sell the 70 bee to fund my restomod builds. I miss it

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 09/23/16 04:50 PM

Originally, I planned to use an A833 4 speed so I wouldn't have to modify the floor on and torsion bar crossmember. I bought an aluminum flywheel to mate a Gen 3 hemi to a 4 speed. I also bought a Mopar Performance SFI hydro formed bellhousing (part # P5153602) that's designed to mate a late model Hemi to an 833 4 speed or Tremec TKO 5 speeds. It could be used with a mechanical or hydraulic clutch so I bought an American Powertrain hydraulic setup. I also bought a McLeod clutch rated to 500hp.

But my plans changed.....more to come on the transmission...
Posted By: Morty426

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 09/27/16 08:18 AM

That bellhousing is a monster.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 09/29/16 09:28 PM

Yeah-the bell housing is a lot heavier duty then expected.

I actually bought 2 flywheels. I bought the aluminum Mopar flywheel first and then came across the steel flywheel for $100 so I bought it too. turns out Hays actually made both the aluminum flywheel and the steel flywheel for Mopar Performance. They are both 130 tooth.
The aluminum flywheel is 14 pounds and the steel is about 37 pounds. I WAS leaning towards the steel flywheel since this build will mostly be a cruiser/commuter.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 10/10/16 07:50 PM

I'll have a factory built 6.1L short block from a 56K mile 2009 Challenger I parted out last year. I have a set of C&C ported 6.1 heads (with upgraded springs) from another SRT I parted out. I also bought an Arrington SR2B camshaft for $200 on another forum. Since stock hp rating is 425, I should be between 475 and 500hp at the crank.

I called McLeod, Ram, and Centerforce about what clutch options they would suggest for my scenario. Since this is a "budget" build, I didn't want to break the bank with a twin disc setup and Centerforce only suggested a twin so they were out. Ram said their best single disc was good do 400hp so they were out. McLeod suggested their Super Street Pro kit which includes a pressure plate/throw out bearing and is a dual friction unit. One side is ceramic and the other side is organic. They say it's good to 500hp and is quite comfortable to drive. I pulled the trigger. Summit/Jegs had the best price. Part number is 75209 if anyone needs it for a similar build.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 10/18/16 09:21 PM

The 833 I planned to use was a 23 spline 833 from a 1970 Super Bee I used to own. It had been mistreated so I had it torn down, rebuilt, and repainted. I actually asked for a high temp paint in a steel color but I got aluminum instead. Oh well, I didn't care enough to have it repainted.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 11/23/16 05:21 PM

The K frame is next. This is nothing new anymore but for those who don't know...

1. In order to run a Gen 3 Hemi A/C compressor, the steering box mount gussets need trimmed for clearance and the A/C compressor rear mounting ear needs to be cut off.
2. The plates that bolt to the block and attach to the stock engine mounts Are from TTI. They fit seem well but they did need some trimming for clearance on some corners
3. The LX/LC (6.1L) vertical mount oil filter will not fit. I found a 45 degree oil filter adapter from a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8. Also, a shorter oil filter is required. A stock filter is pictured.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 11/23/16 05:27 PM

Here are some pictures of the A/C compressor.

This pictures shows where the trimmed rear mounting ear was cut off. It was at the rear end of the compressor and tried to occupy the same space as the drivers side engine mount.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 11/23/16 06:01 PM

The engine mounts are stock pieces I purchased from Mancini. Since the mounts are not side specific, the mounting bolt is accessed from the rear side on the drivers side mount, which has plenty of clearance.

Since the mount is simply reversed for the passenger side, the bolt is accessed from the front but access is difficult with the oil filter adapter in place. The 3 mounting bolts for the oil filter adapter aren't easy to get to so the solution is the remove the welded on nut on the back side of the passenger engine mount. Then I'll be able to slide the bolt in from the back side (with plenty of clearance) and use a nut/washer on the front side. The picture below shows the interference of the engine mount bolt with the oil filter adapter.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 11/24/16 08:12 PM

K frame is now done. The last mod is a cut hole for draining oil. It looks different and some may not like the mod, but its not seen very easily with an engine in the engine bay and that's the way I wanted it!

Before

After

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 11/24/16 08:13 PM

A closeup of the trimmed gusseting after cleanup

Posted By: JDMopar

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 11/25/16 04:12 AM

I feel your pain....but I would have loved to had that much room for the 5.7 in my Duster. I used a spool mount k frame, and hacked the drivers side mount TTI sent me in order to get the AC compressor in where it's supposed to be. I moved the saddle on the k frame, and spaced the compressor out to clear the header tube. Keep up the good work, it's lookin good! up

Attached picture Motor mount 006.JPG
Attached picture Motor mount 004.JPG
Attached picture Motor mount 001.JPG
Posted By: ric3xrt

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 12/20/16 06:32 AM

Does he have any more of these bell housing left?

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 12/21/16 03:34 AM

I bought the guys last bell housing...

I got the K frame back from the powdercoater. I went with Eastwood's Rally Wheel Charcoal.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 12/22/16 04:48 AM

The lower control arms were boxed. I believe the plates came from PST and were something like $22 shipped. They were blasted first, then plates welded on, then powder coated in Eastwood's stamped steel.

In bare metal

after powder coat

Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 12/23/16 03:18 AM

I also had fun with the a/c compressor and the TTI mounts. I ended up knocking the nut off the passenger mount and flipping the bolt. My drivers side has a flag nut that I welded up that keeps me from needing to get a wrench on it to tighten. I also drilled and safety wired the mounts to the block, I do NOT want those coming loose once the car is together.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 01/06/17 07:04 PM

I got my 6.1L heads back from the machine shop last week. These CNC ported heads were actually in the trunk of an SRT that I bought from the insurance pool. They were filthy so I had the machine shop do a valve job, replace the valve seals, and resurface them. The chambers have some nicks from a blown up piston but hey...they were free!! Plus they had upgraded PAC valve springs

Intake ports

Exhaust ports

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 01/16/17 03:08 AM

The passenger side quarter panel was cut off; the whole quarter was dented and wavy so it wasn't worth saving. The driver's side quarter just needed a lower patch panel. the dropoffs/trunk extensions are also being replaced. All pieces are AMD

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 01/16/17 04:18 PM

The passenger's side rocker had also taken quite a beating. A previous owner must have hit a pole. The damage:

Closeup carnage

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 01/16/17 04:23 PM

First I took it to a local frame shop and had them pull out the dent somewhat.

I bought a new complete AMD rocker, with the hope that just a section could be used if the rest looked ok underneath.....but that's never the way that works out.

The front side of the rocker was very solid. The backside...not so much

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 01/20/17 03:10 AM

For several weeks, I would go check on progress and I would end up ordering more AMD sheetmetal. That's just the way these projects seem to go. Originally the rear crossmember, which is behind the rear bumper, was just going to get some patches. But once the bumper was off, and the rust was exposed, I ended up buying the rear crossmember, the sheetmetal right above it, and the rear corner pieces that run between the crossmember and the quarter panel.

New rear crossmember.

When I first got the car, I looked at the rear window channel and thought it looked pretty solid:

It turns out i was wrong...

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 01/20/17 03:22 AM

The rubberized coating that was put on the roof was extremely hardened and wouldn't budge with a wire cup wheel; it would just smear. We tried a heat gun and putty knife but it took too much heat to warm it up and warping the roof skin was a concern. Finally, this disc did the trick. The key was not to drive through all the layers at once but do keep moving around and take one layer off at a time.

Posted By: basketcase

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 01/20/17 08:05 PM

figures they didn't damage the rusted area of that rocker. nice work.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 01/22/17 09:49 PM

So much for just a patch/splice. The whole right rocker ended up coming out

New AMD rocker in place

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 01/22/17 10:03 PM

This next idea is purely Matt's idea. The profile of the inner wheel house is pretty much vertical but the profile of the outside wheel house slopes into the wheel tub and encroaches on available tire space. After looking at the gap between the quarter panel skin and the outer wheel tub, Matt took some measurements and cut out a section of the old outer wheel house. Matt made a plug that will allow more tire by taking the slope out of the outer wheel house profile

Posted By: Keepat

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 01/23/17 12:06 AM

Great job on the outer wheel well modifcation!
Pat
Posted By: GY3

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 01/25/17 12:17 AM

I can personally confirm that the roof has been completely stripped!

Whew! runaway

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 01/25/17 04:32 AM

Originally Posted By GY3
I can personally confirm that the roof has been completely stripped!

Whew! runaway

Yep! Mark (GY3) has been helping me out in a big way by stripping the rubberized coating and paint from the roof, drip rails, trunk gutters, etc. I know I won't get doe by the time baby #5 arrives in late March but some real progress has been made in the last 2 weeks! Thanks Mark!

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 01/26/17 05:55 AM

Originally Posted By Keepat
Great job on the outer wheel well modifcation!
Pat

Thanks Pat! I.m really happy with them. Matt really had a great idea for the outer wheel house.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 01/31/17 05:12 AM

Matt cut a piece out of the new sheetmetal piece above the rear crossmember. We didn't want to disturb the lip/profile of the lower edge that sits agains the deckled

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 01/31/17 05:16 AM

The driver's side quarter had a bid dent on the character line. Picture before...

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 02/02/17 04:25 AM

I've got a 70 Cuda restomod that has snowballed out of control. Im currently 8 years into a 3 year build....Im sure many of you can sympathize. So....my original intent for this Roadrunner was for it to be simple. I had decided on just doing some sheetmetal repair and as far as drivetrain, I was going use a Gen 3 6.1L hemi, 23 spline 833 4 speed manual trans, and an 8 3/4" rearend. I didn't want this project to spiral out of control either so I was dead set against change. I just wanted to keep it simple to speed up the build, save money, and not have to cut the floor pans. I had a 4 speed completely rebuilt/ painted and I bought all the parts to convert from a 727 auto to a 4 speed manual.........and then one day I added up the costs of a installing an 833 (see list below) and I realized how much just a 4 speed costs.....I decided to install a TR6060 6 speed instead of an 23 spline 833. The 833 4 speed would have been easier and faster, but...

1. I had a 50K mile TR6060 sitting in the shop....with everything needed to complete the swap. I had parted out a 2009 Challenger SRT8 so I had the stock twin disc clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, hydraulic throwout, hydraulic line/reservoir, clutch pedals, etc....just waiting to be used. And it was originally paired to a 6.1 so it was easy to assemble.
2. I started adding up the value of all the parts for the 4 speed swap: rebuilt 833, Lakewood SFI Bell housing, new Mcleod clutch/pressure plate, Mopar Flywheel, hydraulic throwout bearing setup, z bar, fork, actuator rods, boot/seals, fork pivot, pedal assembly, etc and I thought... "Why am I spending this much for a 4 speed?!?!?!?!?" I'll could sell it all to pay for the tunnel and crossmember fabrication work."
3. I didn't want to cut the tunnel and floor for the 6 speed but in reality I want to drive this car to work 1 or 2 days a week (70 mile roundtrip) so why go to the trouble of a Gen 3 hemi with a 4 speed?!?!

Pictures coming soon...

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 02/07/17 04:31 AM

At first I really didn't want to modify the floor pans since they were pretty solid, but I finally came to my senses. I'm really excited about the subframe connectors, which are made of 2"x4" steel rectangular tubing that channel through the floor pans. Should really help to eliminate flex and improve rigidity.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 02/10/17 09:43 PM

Right quarter panel went on after that

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 02/10/17 09:49 PM

Rear window channel

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 02/12/17 05:23 PM

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 02/12/17 05:26 PM

Rear window patches are from AMD...

[

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 02/12/17 05:28 PM

The numbers matching 383 came out of the car and one of my "windowed" 6.1L hemi blocks went in the bay for mockup.

I've got a hollow TR6060 case/shell that I use for mockup. It went in for a rough cut on the tunnel...

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 02/16/17 04:47 AM

driver's side quarter panel rust:

rust cut out:

Patch panel roughed in:

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 02/16/17 04:51 AM

I took the dash frame to a local powdercoater, who blasted and powder coated it in a satin black. The only blasting cabinet he had big enough to blast this dash used coal slag, which is quite aggressive so I was worried it would warp the metal. I asked him to turn the pressure way down; he said he used 40 psi (instead of his usual 100 psi) and it turned out great! I am really happy with the texture and finish. Plus I got rid of the UGLY marroon.

I don't have a good picture of the dash frame beforehand, but the metal around the VIN plate will give you an idea of what it looked like. This car had been sitting in a field in western kansas without a windshield for more then 1o years so all the paint had been baked off the top of the dash frame

[img]http://i.imgur.com/sLTWloQ.jpg?1[/img]

After getting the dash frame pwdercoated and buying a new M&H dash harness, I started thinking, which is never good for my wallet. I realized I didn't want to work with the taxi dash gauges so i began looking for a 1968 rallye dash frame, which I bought off facebook. After considering dash options, I decided on a Dakota Digital unit for several reasons. First, I really like the look. Secondly, the TR6060 doesn't have a speedo output so Dakota has a GPS based speedometer box which is plug and play with the Charger VHX gauges.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 02/16/17 05:49 AM

I tried to sell these Challenger SRT seats for 6 months with no luck so I guess I'll use them in the Roadrunner. Usually I sell stuff and 2 months later I wish I hadn't so this was a nice change!

The roadrunner has never had front seats in it for the last 20+ years so It was fun to sit in the car for the first time

Posted By: basketcase

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 02/17/17 06:50 PM

amazing body work. can't even tell the window channel was done.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 02/18/17 04:53 AM

Thanks Dave! Matt really does incredible work.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 02/18/17 04:56 AM

View from below which shows how the 2x4" ties into the rear frame rails

This picture is looking to the rear of the car and shows the driver's side subframe connector which channels through the torsion bar crossmember and ties into the forward frame rail:

Same rail just viewed from the side:

Passenger side subframe connector tying into the front subframe rail:

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 02/18/17 04:58 AM

I'm debating some interesting rear suspension options at the moment...stay tuned

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 02/24/17 04:57 PM

Well...My intent was to stay simple, but this project has snowballed.

After some thinking, I've decided on independent rear suspension! For a commuter restomod, I decided I wanted something different then leaf springs. I was looking at a 4 link setup, a 2 link/panhard bar setup, and IRS.
I part out SRT8's for a weekend gig and I have several complete IRS setups laying around. Matt set one up under the car and decided it wouldn't be too crazy to adapt. He had been contemplating doing the same thing to his wife's car so he's been thinking about it awhile. Ultimately we decided it would be worth pursuing.

I love the way my 2010 Challenger SRT8 handles/drives so that helped greatly in the decision. The K frame will need to be shortened 2 inches in the middle and the original mounting pads will need to be cut off so the IRS frame can slide between the Roadrunners rear frame railst. This is the IRS K frame before modification:

First thing, the K frame was reinforced/boxed in a few areas:

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 02/24/17 05:03 PM

The IRS frame needed to be shortened 2.0" but the 2.0" could not come from the middle of the frame because of the differential mounting bolts. Here a few pictures of the K frame to better illustrate the cuts. The first picture is looking at the IRS frame from behind. The cut is a 1" slice that was taken from the right side, just outside of the right differential mounting bolt. A 1" slice was also taken out of the forward bar of the IRS frame (not pictured)

The next two pictures are also taken from the back side of the IRS frame. The first picture is the passenger side where a 1.0" vertical cut was made to both bars of the IRS frame.

This picture shows the "Z" shaped cut on the driver's side-just outside of the left differential mounting bolt. On the driver's side a straight 1" slice was not possible duet to the contours of the IRS frame and the left side differential bolt bushing.

This is not the differential Ill be using. I plan to use a limited slip 3.91 Getrag differential

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 02/24/17 05:19 PM

These are not wheels I will be using but this is right height....TaDAAAAAAAA!!!

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 02/24/17 10:24 PM

So exciting to see this go together!
Posted By: killermopar

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 03/19/17 12:21 AM

That is awesome great build page
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 03/19/17 03:15 PM

Great job on the IRS!!! bow Since all of the suspension mounting points for the control arms and stuff just moved inward a little, will you be able to use it all back without modification? If you can, and only have to shorten the axle assemblies that will be great!

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 03/23/17 05:52 AM

Originally Posted By JDMopar
Great job on the IRS!!! bow Since all of the suspension mounting points for the control arms and stuff just moved inward a little, will you be able to use it all back without modification? If you can, and only have to shorten the axle assemblies that will be great!

Since the IRS frame was shortened 2.0" in the middle, the link lengths and geometry were untouched. As you stated, I should just have to have the axle shafts each shortened 1.0".
Posted By: sparcy

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 03/24/17 12:48 AM

I love the ride height it looks wicked !!! I have a project thats ben neglected for over a year to take care of my dad . but now IM back !! and full steam !!!

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 03/29/17 04:46 AM

Originally Posted By sparcy
I love the ride height it looks wicked !!! I have a project thats ben neglected for over a year to take care of my dad . but now IM back !! and full steam !!!

NICE! I am not a patient person so I've really had to work on my patience. I have a similar 70 Cuda build that is currently 8 years in the making. Periodic breaks can be beneficial though. They have allowed me to refocus/refresh or to gather funds to make a better build. Good luck with your progress.
Posted By: derricklaukaitis

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 04/04/17 04:31 PM

Awesome build! I'm in the middle of transferring both front and rear suspensions from a 2006 Charger R/T (I'll upgrade to SRT-like components after install) to my '50 Panel Van and your thread has caught my eye...

Did you bolt the rear cradle in or weld it in? Do you have any pics of how the connection points ended up?

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 04/04/17 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By derricklaukaitis
Awesome build! I'm in the middle of transferring both front and rear suspensions from a 2006 Charger R/T (I'll upgrade to SRT-like components after install) to my '50 Panel Van and your thread has caught my eye...

Did you bolt the rear cradle in or weld it in? Do you have any pics of how the connection points ended up?

I don't have any good pictures at the moment but I will try to get some. The IRS frame was too wide so it was modified in two ways. We didn't want to modify the links/geometry. to do this, two inches needed to come out of the middle of the IRS frame. Since the differential mounts to the rear bar of the IRS frame, one inch was taken out on the outside of both the differential mounting holes. The passenger side section cuts were straight up/down on both frame bars but the driver side cut was a Z shaped cut (offset) due to some bushings. Next the 4 IRS mounting ears were cut off to fit the IRS frame between the rear subframe rails. The IRS frame will be welded in. The subframe rail will also be notched to raise the IRS frame up into the car and to allow full articulation of the links.
Posted By: jpilone

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 04/04/17 10:42 PM

Damn!! Can't wait to see this car in driveable condition!

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 04/05/17 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By 70B5Cuda
...The IRS frame will be welded in. The subframe rail will also be notched to raise the IRS frame up into the car and to allow full articulation of the links.

So you're actually going to weld it in? I've thought about the same thing, but I wasn't sure it would be good for the long run. I suppose "why not" though... I mean, they make solid aluminum mounts, so why not just take it one step further?

Can't wait to see more pictures! Thank you for posting and replying! (now if I can figure out how to get the board to notify me when someone replies to the thread... I'll be a happy man)

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 04/06/17 12:05 AM

Originally I wanted it to be removable but the rear frame rails will have to be cut/modified enough that it may as well just be welded in. It's not something you can just remove and go back to a solid axle. The differential mount holes are bushed so it is insulated somewhat

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 04/07/17 05:13 PM

How did you handle the rear anti-sway bar? Did you retain it or did you nix it? Or are you planning a different anti-sway bar entirely?

Just asking because the Roadrunner really needs an anti-sway bar. My '66 Charger has body roll like no other and the Roadrunner (being a bigger and heavier car) is sure to be even worse frown

I can't wait to see what you do for mounting rear shocks/springs!

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 04/07/17 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By derricklaukaitis
How did you handle the rear anti-sway bar? Did you retain it or did you nix it? Or are you planning a different anti-sway bar entirely?

Just asking because the Roadrunner really needs an anti-sway bar. My '66 Charger has body roll like no other and the Roadrunner (being a bigger and heavier car) is sure to be even worse frown

I can't wait to see what you do for mounting rear shocks/springs!

I removed the LX sway bar and will go custom later

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 04/10/17 06:53 PM

Will you toss the stock LX rear shocks/springs aside and go with standard coil-overs for the IRS?

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 04/16/17 04:08 PM

The IRS is getting welded in so the frame rails were cut:

This is the plate that will be welded in to cap the frame rail.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 04/16/17 04:10 PM

Transmission crossmember from below:

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 04/16/17 04:11 PM

Originally I was going to make the original K-frame/torsion bar setup work but I changed my mind and decided to go with Reilly Motorsports for the front suspension. The RMS Alterktion setup showed up this last week. Woohoo!

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 04/17/17 04:57 AM

cool trans mount!!
Pat

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 04/19/17 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By Keepat
cool trans mount!!
Pat

Thanks Pat! Your charger has some sweet modifications as well!

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 04/19/17 01:51 AM

In order to keep the seats low and provide clearance for the electric motors, a custom pan was made under both front seats.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 04/19/17 02:01 AM

This picture is looking to the rear of the car and shows the driver's side subframe connector which channels through the torsion bar crossmember and ties into the forward frame rail:

Same rail just viewed from the side:

Passenger side subframe connector tying into the front subframe rail:

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 04/26/17 05:26 AM

The trunk floor pan was really quite solid but there were a couple small holes along the trailing edge that Matt patched:

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 04/26/17 05:26 AM

Transmission crossmember from the top..

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 04/26/17 05:27 AM

Master cylinder and pedals were sourced from the Challenger SRT8 I parted out.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 05/13/17 06:18 AM

The pedals from the 2009 Challenger are mounted with 6 bolts. We tried to mount it with just 4 bolts, but the pedal bracket flexed too much so a plate with two more mounting points was added:

View from the side. it will still be boxed in

Pedals were hung but the and placed the pedals over the steering column hole. The pedals were heated and straightened. Then they were cut and the foot pads were removed/reoriented

Before:

After

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 05/13/17 06:19 AM

A few more pictures of the modified floor pans under the front bucket seats

View from below:

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 05/13/17 06:20 AM

I ordered a shifter with a 1.0" lateral offset (toward the driver) and 4.25" aft offset. Disregard the 4 speed pattern on the handle!

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 05/22/17 05:36 AM

Here's the first part of the tunnel:

The Holley Dominator ECU mounts to the top of the tunnel near the firewall. You can see it in the next 2 pictures:

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 12/17/17 10:29 PM

Since the Photobucket extortion attempt, I've been dreading the thread rebuild but I finally bit the bullet and installed all the pictures using imgur.com. If anyone else is still looking for options, you should consider imgur. I've come to like the site in the last week. Anyways...

This is the second section of the tunnel has been roughed in and the new column has been installed. This picture also shown the shifter installed.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 12/17/17 10:31 PM

On the rotisserie so the IRS K frame can be welded in:

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 12/17/17 10:31 PM

Second segment of the tunnel has been welded in. A bezel (seen in bottom right corner) is in process which will have a groove all the way around; carpet will fit into the groove.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 12/17/17 10:32 PM

After having the Roadrunner dash powdercoated, I changed directions and bought a 1968 Charger Rallye dash frame off one of the facebook trader pages for $100 plus shipping. Here it is in place:

I also picked up a set of Dakota Digital gauges.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/k2hCd8o.jpg?1[/img]

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 12/17/17 10:32 PM

IRS getting welded in

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 12/17/17 10:33 PM

Tunnel from below

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 12/17/17 10:33 PM

Tunnel and tunnel cover/closeout

Posted By: Red383

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 01/10/18 06:06 PM

Very nice fab work, can't wait to see more.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 02/21/18 10:21 PM

Since I eliminated the torsion bars, I have a lot more options for manifolds/headers. Since this car will have about 475-500hp, I decided to go with the factory stainless headers that came on the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8. The SRT headers are really durable pieces that also flow very well; they flow as well as any aftermarket shorty header; and SRT headers can easily handle 500hp. Only above that level would longtube headers make a real difference. I couldn't use the factory headers from the Charger/Challenger/etc because they basically point at the firewall in a B body Mopar. The Jeep manifolds point down at a better angle and they hug the block (maybe a little too well) but they will still need some modification on the passenger side in order to clear the bell housing/starter. I also didn't want to spend $750 on a set of mild steel headers that I would have to clearance (ding/dent) anyway.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 02/21/18 10:30 PM

The driver's side manifold bumped into the alterktion motor mount so the easiest thing is to modify the motor mount.

The straight piece was removed in favor of a curved pipe. this if the view looking toward the firewall (rearward)

This view is looking forward

I will have tons of room between the frame rails and manifolds. The manifolds will also be easy to remove if need be. I plan to drive this car a lot...

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 02/22/18 06:02 AM

The passenger side crashed hard against the area on the bell housing where the starter mounts. The manifold wasn't even close to seating/mounting.

Matt sliced the passenger manifold, heated it up, and bent the collector end outward a few degrees. Then he welded it back up. Sorry-the pictures aren't very good but the silver area in the next two pictures is where the slice was made.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 02/28/18 09:06 PM

Brake kits are too expensive and since I have parted out SRT8's, I figured I should use what I have. Matt had a bracket machined (and ordered 4 sets for future builds). Now i've got 4 piston Brembo calipers with Dodge rotors (for easy replacement). The other benefit is that my master cylinder and brake pedal are from an SRT Challenger so its a perfect pairing.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 03/03/18 04:28 AM

Hadn't seen that yet! Cool!

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 03/14/18 10:08 PM

The differential is going to be a limited slip Getrag unit that I pulled from a 2010 Challenger SRT8 I parted out. The Challengers with the 6 speed manual transmission received a 3.91 ratio vs the 3.06 that came with the automatic. My 2010 Challenger daily driver has the exact same 6.1L, 6 speed, and Getrag 3.91. With the .50 overdrive ratio, I am turning 2,000 RPM at 85mph. Should be fun off the line and still comfortable on the highway. The differential just got installed so that exhaust could be routed.

View from the right side...

View from behind:

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 03/17/18 04:57 AM

The OEM SRT wheels just didn't look right so I finally decided on a wheel.....now that I know the 20x9 will fit over the Brembo calipers, I can order up the other 3 wheels.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 03/24/18 04:54 AM

The 3" Exhaust is mocked up and tacked.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 04/03/18 05:04 AM

Front tires are 245/40/20 and the rears are 315/40/20. I've got room for more tire on the rear, but I'm happy with the 315 size and price. Since 315/40/20's come on several production vehicles, prices are much cheaper compared to a 325 or 335.

And a few pics of the wheels on the car...

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 04/08/18 03:22 AM

I bought a fuel tank (for fuel injection) from Tanks Inc. but the independent rear suspension frame is so huge that a stock fuel tank won't fit. So....the new tank had to be modified. Here's what it looked like in stock form:

And modified....

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 04/08/18 03:13 PM

Very nice job on the tank modification!!
Pat

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 05/04/18 04:12 PM

Thanks Pat!

This 6.1L came out of a 53K mile 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 that I parted out about 18 months ago. It ran great when I removed it, but I want a little more then the stock 425hp. I pulled the stock heads for inspection. The cylinder walls and pistons are in good condition.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 05/04/18 04:13 PM

I have a set of CNC ported 6.1L heads that came off a car I parted out about 4 years ago. I had then cleaned up and inspected by my machine shop. They did a valve job and installed new valve seals.
While the heads were off, I removed the lifters and installed an Arrington SR2B camshaft. With a good tune, the CNC ported heads and cam should be good for close to 500hp

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 09/01/18 03:53 PM

I had a few changes made. I was not happy with the fit of the passenger side door. It must have been tweaked because it never fit right. So I ordered a new AMD door shell, but the quarter panel was installed using the original door so the leading edge of the quarter panel had to be sliced and worked to match the profile of the new AMD door.

Both front fenders had to be tweaked to fit the big tires and the low stance. The brace that runs from the top of the arch (up over the tire) had to be reshaped. Also, the front corner of the arch was modified. The corner was sliced and moved forward.

I also didn't like the driver's side front fender. It had a pinhole that turned into more then we planned on. Plus I had a brand new AMD fender that I had picked up for pretty cheap so it was installed.

I picked the car up yesterday and I'm very happy with what was done. I LOVE the stance! Part of me wants to just get it running and drive it as is!

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 01/11/19 05:51 AM

The Roadrunner doesn't look like its any further along, but I have made some progress...Over the past couple months I've been really busy with coaching two of my children's basketball teams, band/school programs, and family get togethers/activities, but i have found the time to at least remove every ounce of undercoating from the Roadrunner. on previous cars I have removed undercoating with a propane torch and a thin paint scraper but I have found a superior method. I bought a cheap pneumatic needle scaler (about $30 on ebay), which has 12-15 rods which pop out and chip away at undercoating. It's dirty/messy, but its quick and it leaves a nice clean surface behind. The extra benefit is that you don't drop any burning pieces of rubber on your face or down the sleeves of your shirt. For reference, each inner fender took me about an hour to remove the undercoating. It would have been much faster, but my big compressor is down and I was using a 30 gallon Craftsman compressor so I spent a lot of time waiting for it to pressurize the tank.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 03/29/19 04:31 AM

Well, The last couple months have been nuts. On Christmas Eve I got T-boned while doing 55mph in my survivor 1969 Dodge Charger. Miraculously, I escaped the car accident with scrapes/bruises. I declined medical attention At the scene of the accident but a few hours later, my lovely wife convinced me to go the emergency room, where I received a chest x ray and a head CT scan. The ER Doc pronounced me healthy and sent me home but two days later I received a phone call. The head of radiology was at home on the day of the crash. Two days later, he was reviewing the work done over the holiday when he came across my chest x-ray. He spotted a bump on my right humerus (the big bone in the upper arm). Several x-rays/MRI's and 14 days later I was told I have bone cancer in my right arm. I'm only 36 and a father of 5 little ones so it hit me hard. The surgeon/oncologist said that I needed to have the top third of my right humerus cut out and replaced with a cadaver bone. It took 3 weeks to find a cadaver bone that had the right size/profile since the head of the humerus needed to fit my existing rotator cuff/shoulder. It took three weeks of taking it easy because the bone was so thin that it was close to breaking. The picture of the x-ray shows how bad it was-the black void is where the cancer had eaten out the bone. As soon as the bone came in, I had surgery. Before the bone could be removed, the surgeon had to cut/unhook and peel back all the muscles that attach to the shoulder (bicep, tricep, deltoid, pectoral, and 4 back muscles) before cutting the cancerous bone out and grafting in the cadaver bone section with a 6" plate and screws. After the graft, all the muscles had to be sown back in place. I spent 5 days in the hospital where the pain was BRUTAL. The first 5 days at home were pretty rough too but things got much better after that. I've been in a sling for 6 weeks now and I've never sat still so much. The surgeon thinks he got all the cancer, but I will be doing body scans every 3 months for the next 5 years. The bone was sent off for pathology and upon inspection, the bone was hairline fractured but the tissue above it tested clean. The surgeon says this bone can take 6-9 months to heal fully. If it's not healed by 9 months I will have to have another bone graft done so if you're a praying man/woman, please pray for healing. I have to take it really easy for the next year which is NOT MY STYLE!!
I'm not sure why this had to happen, but I believe that all things happen for a reason and I'm truly grateful to God have survived the crash and to have a solid chance at beating this cancer. I do know that without this wreck, the cancer would not have been found in time. This type of cancer does not respond to radiation or chemo so it can only be cut out. And when it spreads, it usually goes straight to the lungs....so all in all, I feel fortunate. If you pray, please keep me in your prayers. Enjoy the pictures...
The tumor....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

One of my favorite pics from inside the 1969 Dodge Charger...
[Linked Image]

Video added Feb 2024...I pout together a youtube video of the wreck and cancer story.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 03/29/19 04:32 AM

For the first time in two months, I ventured out to the shop this week (twice!). My right shoulder (I'm right handed) has very limited range and i have to take it easy since the bones haven't grown together yet. The first day, I removed all the windshield trim clips from the window channels. Yesterday, I started the process of stripping the remaining red exterior paint. I only had 2 hours in me. In that time, I stripped most of the top of the right quarter panel. Here's about 30 minutes in...
[Linked Image]
This is all I got done
[Linked Image]

The disc on the left is the one I was using. I like them because they are quite effective and yet they don't build up much heat in the sheetmetal. I was using air and a fearless grinder.
[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 04/23/19 06:26 PM

Wow, just came across your story. Tough way to find out some bad news. Glad you are recovering, my prayers are with you that they got it all and the bones heal.

Good luck.
Posted By: rocksmopar

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 04/24/19 01:55 PM

Nice progress..

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 05/11/19 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Red383
Wow, just came across your story. Tough way to find out some bad news. Glad you are recovering, my prayers are with you that they got it all and the bones heal.

Good luck.

Thanks! I really appreciate every prayer I can get!

I've SLOWLY been stripping paint over the past 4 weeks. I'm stripping the large open surfaces so the media blaster won't warp them. I'll have the media blaster use aluminum oxide to strip all the jams, inside, engine bay, and bottom side of the car.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I also dug out all the putty/sealant that in the gutter rail. That stuff was HARD and difficult to get out!

[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 07/24/19 11:19 PM

After getting t-boned in my 1969 charger in December, I started to really think and worry about side protection. If the other guy had hit me in the door of the charger (instead of the front fender), I would have been in serious trouble. After mulling it over, I decided to send the Roadrunner back over to my buddy's shop in order to install a 6 point cage that will provide me with some side protection. We will also plan for some modern seatbelts with inertial reels. I don't want the car to be annoying to get in and out of, but my wreck has made me look at things from a different perspective. While its there, the lower radiator support will get boxed/reinforced, and plates will be welded in so that it can be provisioned for a Monte Carlo bar.

Without the front fenders, the front wheels look so huge...it looks weird.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 07/25/19 01:48 AM

If the other guy had hit me in the door of the charger (instead of the front fender), I would have been in serious trouble.

Your comment reminded me of this picture I pulled off instagram several years ago. I *think* the car had the typical 4 point bar. The cowl/door jamb area took the brunt of the hit. Luckily there was no passenger, driver was bruised but no serious injury. If I remember correctly, light rain and an oily road didn't mix well and he slid sideways into oncoming traffic.

Attached picture wyatt.JPG

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 07/26/19 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Satilite73

If the other guy had hit me in the door of the charger (instead of the front fender), I would have been in serious trouble.

Your comment reminded me of this picture I pulled off instagram several years ago. I *think* the car had the typical 4 point bar. The cowl/door jamb area took the brunt of the hit. Luckily there was no passenger, driver was bruised but no serious injury. If I remember correctly, light rain and an oily road didn't mix well and he slid sideways into oncoming traffic.

Yikes.....that picture is the stuff of nightmares.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 09/20/19 10:24 PM

The cage should finish up next week but here are a few early pics
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Matt tabbed up some finish panels that I'm really happy with...
[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 09/29/19 01:36 AM

[[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 10/05/19 02:17 PM

I wanted to reinforce the inner fenders so here's whats Matt came up with. The bottom plate ties into the plate on the bottom side of the shock tower.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 10/14/19 11:44 PM

Lower radiator support needed reinforced and I didn't like any of the aftermarket options...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 10/18/19 03:59 AM

Nice work

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 11/06/19 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Superfreak
Nice work

Thanks!

I want safer updated seat belts but I'm not wanting any racing seatbelts. I don't want to be tied down in one place for everyday driving and yet I don't want to sacrifice safety...so I knew I wanted an inertial reel...so the seatbelts from a 2010 Challenger were chosen. In the 2010 challenger, they fit in a pocket in the pillar. The reel is mounted on a bracket that hangs by two hooks and is bolted at the bottom. The reel...
[Linked Image]

Next, Matt made a box for the reel bracket to hang on/mount to...
[Linked Image]

Hanging in place...
[Linked Image]

It's hard to show in the picture, but the belt fits flush with the inner sheetmetal panel. The factory door panel will fit right over it and will just need a slot for the belt to pass through. The final result will be a safe and comfortable belt system that uses everything from a late model challenger.
[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 11/14/19 02:31 AM

The saga continues...after 9 months, the right humerus bones hadn't grown together very well. Monday, I had a bone graft surgery in which bone was taken from my right hip, ground up, mixed with some type of adhesive, packed in the bone joint all the way around, and then the bone joint was actually taped up. I was warned that the hip would hurt more then the arm, but I had no idea!! It feels like my stomach muscles were rearranged to get to the hip. If I cough or use my stomach/core muscles at all (and they are used all the time), the pain is brutal!!
I'm not sure when I'll be back out in the shop again since the arm needs about three months to fuse. Its a bit of a bummer, but at least I got the 68 roadrunner cleaned up and mounted on the rotisserie last weekend. Its scheduled to get media blasted and sealed in epoxy the first week in December.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 11/20/19 05:08 PM

A few odds and ends pics of the car getting cleaned up on the rotisserie...
[Linked Image]

Being upside down made it a lot easier to finish welding in the hard to get to areas
[Linked Image]

While I had it on each side, I used the needle scaler to knock the undercoating off the inside of the left quarter panel. I also spot checked the floor to find any little areas I may have missed.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 11/20/19 05:15 PM

I also took the opportunity to clean up the roof skin. I was really surprised that there wasn't ANY scale on the roof! I was mainly removing a yellow glue that was all over the skin. The roof structure wasn't scaly or rusty at all. It was still dusted red from the factory. It seems bizarre that this car did so well sitting out in a field for 20+ years...I can only guess that it aired out quickly without a windshield, rear window, or carpet in it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post w/ 6.1L Hemi, 6 speed, and IRS - 12/04/19 07:45 PM

Great work!
Best of luck with your health and the remainder of the build.
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 12/04/19 11:38 PM

It looks like there should not be any flex in the car ! Very nice work. It's cleaning up nice. Should be fun to drive !
Praying for your improved health.
Mark

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 12/05/19 01:06 AM

Thanks guys! I appreciate it!

The roadrunner went to the media blaster Monday, where aluminum oxide was used to clean it up inside and outside. It's fun to see it in bare metal and all in one color, but it's always disappointing to see the little spots that seem to come out of nowhere...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 12/31/19 04:58 PM

The aluminum oxide brought a few things to light...the most disappointing was the drivers floor board. It looked really solid until blasted...so a partial patch went in...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[color:"silver"] - - - Updated - - - [/color]

Then it went in primer...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 01/06/20 04:16 PM

Looking good!

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 01/09/20 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by GY3
Looking good!

Thanks Mark!

While it is on the rotisserie, it's time to spray some color. Original paint code was PP1 red but I went with R6 red, which was the color of my wrecked 69 survivor Charger. I LOVE the color stage!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 01/09/20 01:46 PM

That looks great, nice work.

Aaron
Posted By: rocksmopar

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 01/09/20 02:19 PM

Looks like you'll have it rolling by summer!

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 01/25/20 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by rocksmopar

Looks like you'll have it rolling by summer!

That would be nice but I don't think I can move that fast!

Several lead joints were fractured, cracked, or missing so I had the pillar to cowl joints and the quarter panel to rocker joints re-leaded. The guy who did it did a really nice job

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 02/16/20 03:03 AM

The Roadrunner came off the rotisserie for some panel alignment. The hood, fenders, and doors were all pinned for easy removal and reinstallment.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 03/01/20 05:03 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 03/28/20 01:08 PM

initial blocking is done and now its in slick sand.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: sparcy

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 03/29/20 05:39 PM

wow great job kid . so over the top . I love the color . you gave me a great idea for my front suspension brace . I will be bending up 1/4 inch and 1/8th inch plate tomorrow. I am splitting mine over 2 inches in the 1/4 and 1 inch in the door.

Attached picture close uop split door .jpg
Attached picture rear shot with 345 tire.jpg

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 04/18/20 10:41 PM

Out of paint!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 04/19/20 04:23 AM

up
Posted By: CDN72SE

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 04/28/20 02:45 AM

Wow, beautiful.
Posted By: Airgrabber

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 04/28/20 03:39 PM

Really coming along nicely! Keep up the great work.
Posted By: 76orangewagon

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 04/30/20 06:39 PM

Stunning !!!!

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 05/03/20 01:28 PM

Thanks all!

The 6.1L engine and TR6060 transmission are mated and on the RMS K frame. The engine is a 50K mile factory built short block. I added an Arrington cam shaft and CNC ported heads. The intake manifold has also been ported. From the factory it was rated at 425hp. It should comfortably make 500hp.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Holley wiring harness added
[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 05/06/20 11:25 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 05/08/20 12:16 AM

Looks good in there!

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 05/08/20 08:56 PM

Looking forward to seeing this one on the road!

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 05/09/20 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by GY3
Looking forward to seeing this one on the road!

Me too!!!!

Rear suspension is loaded! The axles are from DSS and they slipped right in.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 05/11/20 07:04 PM

Wow, that rear looks like it could have been original equipment! eek

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 05/17/20 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by GY3
Wow, that rear looks like it could have been original equipment! eek

Matt really did a nice job!

I don't like the taxi cab clusters so I went with a rally dash and bought the Dakota Digital gauges for 68-70 Charger. I rooted through my parts stash and picked out my nice Charger panel switches and cluster bezel. The bezel was redyed and came out pretty nice

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 05/21/20 09:10 PM

Sitting on its own suspension! It will sit at least an inch lower all the way around.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 05/21/20 09:22 PM

I love seeing a quality build...That thing is awesome...great job.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 06/01/20 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by 76orangewagon
I love seeing a quality build...That thing is awesome...great job.

Thanks!

Wiring and plumbing in progress...

[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 06/03/20 01:08 AM

Looks really great!

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 06/04/20 01:42 PM

Finally received the driveshaft a couple days ago. I was a little late ordering it. The axle shafts I ordered in March arrived about 3 weeks after ordering so I assumed the driveshaft would take about that long but when I called with the driveshaft dimensions, DSS said they were 8-9 weeks out on driveshafts.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 08/15/20 07:36 PM

Radiator is in...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The stainless and chrome trim finally all came back from the powdercoater.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: FrankenScamp

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 08/16/20 01:59 AM

As much as I hate seeing blacked out grilles, this thing is AWESOME! And the grille looks great.

Chrome bumpers? Black? Body color? work

beer

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 08/16/20 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by FrankenScamp
As much as I hate seeing blacked out grilles, this thing is AWESOME! And the grille looks great.

Chrome bumpers? Black? Body color? work

beer

Thanks! Ive really spent a lot of time thinking about which way to go before deciding to powdercoat it all. Bumpers will be black as well.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 08/16/20 06:22 PM

Have you considered a two tone bumper treatment. I did a grey/Black on a previous car and it seemed to be a popular choice. Again... the car is so Awesome !!!

Attached picture 008.JPG
Attached picture IMG_5608 (1).JPG

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 08/18/20 02:04 AM

It's funny you mention that as I have been considering just that....perhaps with a wrap of some sort

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 08/29/20 01:57 PM

Dash frame assembly is coming together...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 08/30/20 02:56 AM

Driveshaft and exhaust went in today...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 09/05/20 02:41 PM

Looking pretty slick. up

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 09/06/20 05:52 PM

I'm really looking forward to riding in this!

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 12/12/20 04:29 AM

Yes Mark! You and me both!

I got new bumpers from AMD and had them powder coated in satin black along with every other piece of stainless trim on the car[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I didn't like the contrast of the orange foglight and black bumper so I had the orange lenses tinted and love the way they turned out

[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 02/25/21 04:01 AM

The side glass and windshield is in. The rear window is close to being installed. The engine was started up and tuned. It sounds great. After the rear window is installed, it's down to headliner, carpet, and the rear seat. It looks like I should actually be driving it this summer.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 02/25/21 10:45 AM

Awesome!!! Congrats, looks like you will be on the road soon.
Good luck!
Pat

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 03/02/21 01:49 AM

[s][/s]
Originally Posted by Keepat
Awesome!!! Congrats, looks like you will be on the road soon.
Good luck!
Pat

Thanks! I can almost taste it! I'm sure you feel the same way!
Posted By: varunner

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 03/02/21 01:40 PM

Buddy, that is one heck of a job you've done. Impressive. any specific plans as to what to do with it when you're done ?

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 03/03/21 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by varunner
Buddy, that is one heck of a job you've done. Impressive. any specific plans as to what to do with it when you're done ?

Thanks although I can't take much credit. I've had some greats friends and professionals who have done the heavy lifting. I've just had a few ideas, did the demolition/cleanup work, and scrounged parts. I hope to be driving it this summer and enjoying it. It's the first one I've actually finished. LOL

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 06/15/21 11:29 PM

I ordered door panels 8 months ago and got them about three months ago, The Roadrunner has been in upholstery limbo since then since the carpet material I wanted couldn't be found in the states and shipping is nearly impossible. I settled on another material and now It's now in upholstery. A rear seat will be fabricated with matching materials to the front seats. all my interior metal parts are out for powdercoating and I am rounding up small pieces. on the left is a Hurst shifter I pulled from one of the cars I parted out about three or four years ago. I ordered up some new pistol grips and installed them...so much better!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 06/17/21 02:35 AM

I had the car dyno tuned. It's a stock longblock except for an aftermarket camshaft. Stock HP is 425HP and I thought it was making between 475-500 at the crank. It made 406HP at the rear tires, which comes out to approximately 480 at the crank. I think there is some more left in it, but it really won't hook up as is. It's the most fun I've had driving a car.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mopar4don

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 06/17/21 10:31 AM

SWEEET!

Thanks for the updates! And please keep them coming up

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 06/17/21 08:05 PM

Awesome!

Now you need a Procharger or at least a little nitrous to really make it fun!

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 06/17/21 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by GY3
Awesome!

Now you need a Procharger or at least a little nitrous to really make it fun!

I actually have a supercharger sitting on the shelf....just not sure which 6.1L to put it on...

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 06/17/21 08:29 PM

Out for upholstery at the moment….pics soon

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 06/26/21 11:37 PM

Headliner is in

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 06/28/21 07:00 PM

Bet that headliner was a PITA to install with the rollbar in there!

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 06/30/21 11:04 PM

I bet you are right! I'm glad I didn't have to do it.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 07/28/21 11:52 PM

Carpet, headliner, and rear set were installed...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bellenbeast

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 07/29/21 01:31 AM

Wow, the interior looks so clean. Good job!
This classic beaute is getting back to life soon.
Posted By: BigBlockGTS

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 08/13/21 03:40 AM

I like how the interior is coming along. Nice mix of old and new.

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 09/08/21 03:38 AM

The factory hood louver callouts needed updated so I had these designed and milled out of aluminum. They will be powder coated black

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 01/29/22 03:53 AM

The TR6060 has been a long annoying saga...

When I parted out the 2009 Challenger SRT8 for its drivetrain, I assumed that the engine/trans would be fine since it only had 50K miles. But whoever owned it did not know how to drive a manual transmission. Second gear synchro was shot and 6th gear must have fallen off the shaft because there was no gear available in 6th gear. That's just the beginning...
I bought another 2009 Challenger SRT8 out of northern California this summer...specifically for the 6 speed. With all the truckers avoiding California, it was really difficult to get it picked up. After racking up $500 in storage fees, the best I could manage was to find someone who would haul it to Dallas for for $1200. SO I had to use a vacation day, get a hotel (left after work one day), and spent $1700 on shipping/storage fees (insurance auction). When I met the trucker at the salvage yard, I walked up to the car and looked underneath it to see that the previous loser owner had stolen the transmission, catalytic converters, and exhaust. I was TICKED. I went back and looked at the insurance auction pictures and realized that they had piled parts in the engine bay to disguise the fact that the engine was leaning back due to not having the transmission. Someone had even propped the shifter up to look like it was still there.
So I bought another 2010 Challenger with 100K miles. I knew the engine was trashed and the transmission looked greasy/rough. I sent it off to D&D Performance to refresh. The report was not good either: it need a new input shaft, reverse gear, third gear, synchos, and seals. The overhaul was going to be about $1850, but he had a brand new TR6060 in the crate that he had bought from Tremec. I gave up and bought it. It arrived last week and was installed yesterday. I finally have 6 gears.

Pics before installation:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 02/25/24 02:53 AM

I recently started a youtube channel and will be making some videos of cars I have finished (like this one) and cars I am still working on. If you're interested, check out the channel. Here is the link to the first Roadrunner video which shows a preview video of the finished car and covers how I found and bought the car.

Posted By: BDW

Re: 1968 Roadrunner Post car w/ 6.1L Hemi & 6-speed - 03/13/24 01:22 AM

Wow, so if I understand that previous post, you have $25k or more just into the tranny?
© 2024 Moparts Forums