Moparts

Coronet 440 drug out of woods...part or get running?

Posted By: Jeremiah

Coronet 440 drug out of woods...part or get running? - 02/28/13 05:39 PM

Thgouhts?

Attached picture 7606882-100_7397(Large).JPG
Posted By: new bee

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 05:41 PM

Why would the car be scrapped? It looks pretty complete and solid from the photo.

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 05:41 PM

It was sitting on the frame rails, four flat tires.

Attached picture 7606884-100_7405(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 05:42 PM

383-4 with a few redeeming qualities...

Attached picture 7606885-100_7410(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 05:43 PM

Ratty interior!

Attached picture 7606886-100_7378(Large).JPG
Posted By: moparguy7074

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 05:44 PM

Scrap it my way!

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 05:44 PM

I need this radiator for our 66 Coronet 500 Convertible...

Attached picture 7606888-100_7384(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 05:47 PM

Sorry guys I should have title it with "part" instead of "scrap". My brain must have popped out of gear.

Attached picture 7606891-100_7406(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 05:49 PM

It's too bad all of the front/rear trim is so bashed up.

Attached picture 7606893-100_7381(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 05:50 PM

The bottom half...

Attached picture 7606894-100_7391(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 05:51 PM

more bottom half...

Attached picture 7606895-100_7392(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 05:52 PM

one more for now...

Attached picture 7606896-100_7393(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 05:55 PM

Quote:

Why would the car be scrapped? It looks pretty complete and solid from the photo.

Let's pretend I said part instead of scrap.

To answer your question...time/money/storage space. Running/driving cars like this one don't sell for $3500 and this car needs to be brought back from the dead. I'd hate to do it but really don't need a ninth (or is that tenth) car to insure/garage/drive.

It's a neat car I like the column shift for some reason.
Posted By: tobnHisglory

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 05:55 PM

I would definitely fix it, not part it. Wish I was the one to find it in the woods. I love 66-7 B bodies and that one looks very complete.
Posted By: Boosted

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 05:57 PM

I see no reason to part that car, unless you are hurting for money and want to make some off of it.

Once you scrap it, it will be one left in the world... I say save it... Or hook someone up who wants to get into the hobby and it looks to make a great starter car.
Posted By: ChryCoGuy

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 05:58 PM

Wow! That looks great for being in the woods! Maybe it wasn't in there that long?

Around here it would have come out in 2 or 3 pieces...

My vote is to get it running/roadworthy and drive as is!
Posted By: RV2

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 06:13 PM

Quote:

I see no reason to part that car, unless you are hurting for money and want to make some off of it.

Once you scrap it, it will be one left in the world... I say save it... Or hook someone up who wants to get into the hobby and it looks to make a great starter car.

Didn't you scrap a valiant?
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...part or get running? - 02/28/13 06:13 PM

Unless you like the car, and it's a good canidate for a resto, and you need another money pit, keep it, otherwise... take what you need, flip the rest to fund your other project
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 06:14 PM

Hell I'm tempted to buy the thing, and I need to spend money on another car like I need a hole in the head. It is a 383 4 barrel B body, hottest thing in 66 besides a Hemi car from MoPar. Don't part it, sell it. Less time and work, the parts aren't worth that much, and you'll make someone happy.

In addition it looks complete and has the fender tag and certicard, and I'd bet a build sheet.

Is the engine stuck?
Posted By: basketcase

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 06:15 PM

when was it put IN the woods? last week?
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 06:17 PM

Around here, running and driving cars that age don't look that good! Laying on the frame rails would have resulted in no frame rails left.

Post it up for sale at a good price and let someone new have a chance to get into the hobby. Gene
Posted By: Rollin Hand

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...part or get running? - 02/28/13 06:18 PM

The only thing I see bad is the driveshaft looks to short, look how far out the yoke is from the tailshaft. lol
Posted By: Boosted

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 06:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Didn't you scrap a valiant?

I sure did... If memory serves me correctly I offered it up for sale for what $400 with a fiberglass hood and narrowed 8 3/4. Car was missing windows, dash and all interior.

No one wanted it and would not even make an offer on the entire car.. But I did offer it out there first in case someone may have wanted it.. No one did so it had to go..

So how is this the same?
Posted By: Road_RunnerSteve

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 06:24 PM

Quote:

Wow! That looks great for being in the woods! Maybe it wasn't in there that long?

Around here it would have come out in 2 or 3 pieces...

My vote is to get it running/roadworthy and drive as is!

x2

That would be a cool daily driver - beat up trim and all!
Posted By: 52savoy

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 06:25 PM

It's a complete car... sell it and let someone else restore it. I wouldn't rob parts off it because what you need is out there. You just haven't found the right source.

FYI. There are a lot of '66-'67 B-bodies in Texas boneyards.

I wouldn't mind having it but don't need anymore cars.
You could always get it running and drive it as a survivor. Recover the seats first.
'66 383 B-bodies were the roadrunners of their day
Posted By: RV2

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 06:29 PM

Just busting your chops
Posted By: PocketThunder

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 06:29 PM

That car is considered rust free where i live.
Posted By: TiMopar

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...part or get running? - 02/28/13 06:31 PM

Nice car, nice color, let it live!
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...part or get running? - 02/28/13 06:40 PM

Swap and exchange the parts that are in better or correct condition from you other cars. The car will still have the parts, just lesser quality and still will have function....

Then clean it up thoroughly and sell it.
Posted By: cogen80

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...part or get running? - 02/28/13 06:46 PM

Quote:

Thgouhts?

doesn't look bad at all. as long as the frame and floors are in decent shape i would be getting running and sell it for a nice little profit.
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...part or get running? - 02/28/13 06:59 PM

Sell it! One of my favorite cars. If you can't/don't want to keep it, that car would make someone happy. If it was a 500 you would probably have 20 offers, if you don't already.
Posted By: DaveKanofsky

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...part or get running? - 02/28/13 07:05 PM

That thing is a great candidate for a resto!

BUT - if you decide to part it out, PLEASE PM me, we are restoring a '66 Coronet 440 right now and could use some of that trim.

Thanks and good luck!
Posted By: 68SportFury

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...part or get running? - 02/28/13 07:47 PM

DO NOT PART THAT CAR!!!!

Sorry for the all-caps yelling, but geez...I've wanted a '66-'67 Coronet since I was a little kid and never been able to make it happen, and the thought of a clean, straight 383-4bbl getting parted makes me crazy.

If I had a place to put it (and could justify the expenditure) I'd PM you about buying it.
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 07:51 PM

Quote:

10-fur...
Posted By: b54406barrel

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 08:14 PM

That would be hard for me to kill that car. So little (apparent) rust and an hp car. Unfortunately even doing paint/bodywork/upholstery/mechanics your self you'd probably end with more than you could sell it for. It's going to have to go to someone who wants it for their own.
I'd say take your needed parts & haul it to the swap meet next month.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 08:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

10-fur...

That is why we call it the Rust Belt
Posted By: pushbutton

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...part or get running? - 02/28/13 08:27 PM

Quote:

The only thing I see bad is the driveshaft looks to short, look how far out the yoke is from the tailshaft. lol

Probably the rubber on the old style trans seal has rotted off making it look as if the drive shaft is short.
Posted By: pnypwr

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 08:28 PM

clean it up get it running and sell it...looks real solid for sitting on its rails. or did it just have flat tires as those wheels dont look like they were sunk in to deep
Posted By: ron1320

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 08:58 PM

Looks like you got the glove box latch you were looking for. Ummm... whatcha gonna do with it, might have 1 more space in the garage.Lemme know.
Posted By: TheBlueBeast

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 09:04 PM

As long as you can get a title I would not part that one out. I would sell it minus the radiator that you need. That car has all kinds of neat ideas that could be done to it and once people see the before pictures they would understand why it was fixed any way it would be fixed.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 09:20 PM

383 4bbl auto '66 Coronet 440 2dr hardtop 1 of 1664
built in LA
CA spec. car
extra cost silver paint
black interior & top

complete & rust free project by most standards

What does it take in a '66 b-body to get a 26" radiator with a 383 automatic (without A/C)? Trailer towing package?

I'd get the Chrysler Historical info, before deciding its fate (at any rate, I would NOT part it).
Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 09:39 PM

The frame rails look great from what I can see. How are the lower quarters, rockers and trunk? That would make an awesome hotrod and I agree, it the rust isn't bad it could get somebody into the hobby on the cheap.

Don't part it. Take what you need and let it live.
Posted By: Tom_440

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...part or get running? - 02/28/13 10:00 PM

I'd get it running, throw some blankets on the seats, hang an air freshener and drive it. I bet you would get offers to buy it at least once a week!
Posted By: rrbrucea

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...part or get running? - 02/28/13 10:05 PM

Absolutely sell that car whole and use the $$$ to fund your project. That car is too nice to part!
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...part or get running? - 02/28/13 10:08 PM

I wish my 67 that I'm going to do was that straight! Mines not terribly crusty (lower quarters and trunk extensions, everything else is solid) but its dinged up and has no motor and a ratched interior. This isn't he WIW forum BUT, what would u ask for it?
Posted By: jon01

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 11:37 PM

That car would be a shame to part out.
IMO it is begging for a 500+" big block, TKO600 and a 315 drag radial under the back.
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/28/13 11:52 PM

Hell...one of 1664...xtra cost paint...2 door big block??? KEEP IT or sell it to ME cheap!!!
Posted By: VL21

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/01/13 02:28 AM

Quote:

It was sitting on the frame rails, four flat tires.

OH, yeah... tires were flat? Send it down the road!

Move along, nothing to see here ...

I haven't seen one that straight and solid in years, even here in God's waiting room.
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/01/13 02:34 AM

Very smooth WIW post
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/01/13 02:35 AM

As a 66 owner I have been told on this forum that it has basically no value. You know what you're doing, that car is not worth restoring unfortunately. Get what you can from parts for it.

Sheldon

Attached picture 7607680-claytonsvaliant042.jpg

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/01/13 03:22 AM

Quote:

Very smooth WIW post

I am kind of offended by that. I have no interest in selling this car or it would be in the For Sale or WIW section. If you look at my history the one car I ever tried to sell had a WIW post.

All I am trying to do is decide what to do with it and now I know thanks to the constructive responses in this post.

I'll clean it up and get it running. We have more than enough spare parts to get it on the road. Thank you all for the motivation. The floors are looking a little thin from the top side but so far no holes. The spare tire well surprised me too. The masses have spoken.

and to my friend Tom for rescuing it for us.

Attached picture 7607755-100_7413(Large).JPG
Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/01/13 03:24 AM

Excellent. That baby need saving...

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/01/13 03:29 AM

Quote:

As a 66 owner I have been told on this forum that it has basically no value. You know what you're doing, that car is not worth restoring unfortunately. Get what you can from parts for it.

Sheldon

I know this is funny right?

I think it might be relatively easy to at least get it moving under it's own power and go from there. The brakes will need servicing as well as the engine/trans/diff. The wiring will need to be cleaned and greased, heater box removed (cowl full of pine needles) and so on. Let's not forget that the windows will need to serviced as well so all of the door panels have to come off. This is a pretty big amount of work IMO so "get it running and drive it around" will be a lengthily process.

Not being a huge fan of the woodgrain era cars has it's advantages doesn't it? If this was a more popular year/model I might never have had a chance of owning it.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/01/13 03:45 AM

Yes it will , so what you going to do after the week end.

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/01/13 03:49 AM

Quote:

Yes it will , so what you going to do after the week end.

I have to finish re-installing the interior in this car or she will chop my head off lol

Attached picture 7607811-100_6326(Large).JPG
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/01/13 04:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Very smooth WIW post

I am kind of offended by that. I have no interest in selling this car or it would be in the For Sale or WIW section. If you look at my history the one car I ever tried to sell had a WIW post.

All I am trying to do is decide what to do with it and now I know thanks to the constructive responses in this post.

I'll clean it up and get it running. We have more than enough spare parts to get it on the road. Thank you all for the motivation. The floors are looking a little thin from the top side but so far no holes. The spare tire well surprised me too. The masses have spoken.

Be offended all you like, you started a thread about scrapping it, then changed to parting it, then
Quote:

To answer your question...time/money/storage space. Running/driving cars like this one don't sell for $3500 and this car needs to be brought back from the dead. I'd hate to do it but really don't need a ninth (or is that tenth) car to insure/garage/drive. Your words not mine. You posted a bunch of pictures of a car that is rough but doesn't appear to be a basket case. If you changed your mind, great , clean it up and enjoy it.... but YOUR posts would have been perfect in a WIW thread.

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/01/13 05:00 AM

I guess that is fair.
Posted By: 68SportFury

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/01/13 05:57 AM

Quote:

Yes!
Posted By: fc7_plumcrazy

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/01/13 12:58 PM

it is good to let it live.
I like original paint. Too many shiney cars around

Carsten
Posted By: wally426ci

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/01/13 01:10 PM

Please don't kill this car.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/01/13 01:22 PM

In Ohio that would almost be a new show room car.Here if its not a Flintsone mobile you are lucky.Rocky
Posted By: crowbait

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/01/13 01:36 PM

Drive as is.I havent had time for paint,body or interior yet.Slant six car now 383 727 8 3/4.Lots of fun as is.

Attached picture 7608200-S6302457.JPG
Posted By: 6PACMAC

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/01/13 01:38 PM

Wow, where I live nothing comes out of the woods looking that sweet. Nothing. That thing would be a "show car" in western Pa. If your think'in about parting stuff out, maybe think about parting Cavaliers , Cobalts and junk like that. It seems the drunk, dirtball stoners that drive that stuff are always busting them up. And they always need parts to fix their junk.
Posted By: notnxs383

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/01/13 03:26 PM

Jeremiah is the poster child for Mopar success on the move from rusty WI to near the high desert OR.
He sure gets his digs in too

Nice, Nice '66

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/01/13 03:34 PM

Quote:

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/01/13 03:44 PM

Quote:

Sheldon

Keep in mind that, in the moparts WIW section, typically any E-body, '68-'70 B-body, Hemi or multicarb car is considered uber-valuable and everything else is considered worthless. The real-world answer lies somewhere between the two extremes.

The internet has allowed us to be exposed to vehicles that we never would have seen or heard of otherwise, and therefore gives the impression that good deals are more plentiful and easier to get than they really are. This gives some people the impression that, since they saw a cherry original paint non-popular model go for dirt money, all vehicles of that model and in lesser condition are worth less-than-dirt. This is really prevalent here.

If somebody has told you that your car has no value I think that should be taken with a grain of salt. Your car looks pretty darn good to me.
Posted By: newportrider

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/01/13 04:11 PM

In my part of the country that car is worth in $3500 price range.

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/01/13 04:53 PM

Quote:

any E-body, '68-'70 B-body,

Ahh the woodgrain years...and you are right on the pricing of things.

I gave some thought to the post above calling me out (on what I'm not really sure) and it is important that all of you realize the following things:

1) The inside of the floors of this car were COVERED in rust scale. Big, ugly chunks of it too. The pine needles filled up the cowl vent and this car got it's fair share of rain/snow sitting on the Eastern edge of the Cascade Mtn. range.

2) The car was sitting on four completely flat tires sunk into the earth when it was found.

All of that said when we talked of parting the car out we had not jacked it up and looked at it very close at all. I was leaning towards getting it running but figured I'd ask the opinions of other car folk before I started another giant project. I filled up my 5 gallon shop vac with rust scale from just the floors...all rust scale. I figured the floor pan would be totally gone but it's not. Same with the frame rails. I figured I'd find a spot somewhere on the cars and never did ( )which is very out of the ordinary in my experience.

On the subject of people's opinions of WIW on these sites I think generally the guys trying to "dictate" market value of cars a) use examples that are not comparable because they have never seen either car and b) wear their emotions on their shirt sleeve. The WIW section is largely a popularity contest these days. Say something another member doesn't like or agree with and your car just lost half of it's value in the WIW section.

To all of you guys that are telling me about rusty cars in Ohio, etc I understand. When my new boss in Oregon asked me why I wanted to transfer from WI I told him it was because Oregon doesn't use road salt. I got a funny look on that one...

Anyway, I did some google image searching and came up with a silver Coronet with a black top. Neat looking car don't you think?

Attached picture 7608401-1966Coronet440silverblacktop2.jpg
Posted By: L7VERT

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/01/13 05:34 PM

This last picture of the '66 with blue lines was my old car. All original hemi, four-speed, Dana 3:54 sure grip. I restored it over the course of 4 years from '99 to '03. Completely taken to the shell and every nut/bolt/component cleaned/painted/replated. Turned out rather nice, if I do say so myself. When I started, it looked like it had spent some time at the bottom of a lake. It was complete, but would not have been worth doing had it not been a legit car. It was not half as nice as the one you are showing. I guess my point here is; they can all be saved. You just have to decide how badly you want to commit. I think these cars are beautiful and I would certainly encourage you to keep it whole.
Posted By: 70_FJ6_RR

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...part or get running? - 03/01/13 07:55 PM

That's a nice car! It's awesome to see one that original that hasn't been through the parts swapper/flippers hands. Being a factory silver car in 1966 is pretty rare, the 383 4 barrel is a bonus! Get it running and drive it! Whatever you do, don't touch that patina!
Posted By: f8-4life

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...part or get running? - 03/01/13 09:47 PM

If I parted out a car that good, it would sit heavy on my soul.
Around ohio that thing SOLID!
Posted By: A12

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/01/13 09:58 PM

Quote:

In Ohio that would almost be a new show room car.Here if its not a Flintsone mobile you are lucky.Rocky

So true, so very true
Posted By: SKR8PN

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/01/13 10:36 PM

Good GAWD do not part that car out! If you did, I'd be about half tempted to drive out to Oregon and slap some sense in you! LOL! That car is WAY to solid to even think about parting out. Clean it up, make it run and drive and advertise it. If you don't get stupid or greedy on the price,it will find a home pretty quick.
Posted By: m88mark

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/01/13 11:18 PM

If it was closer I'd buy it. 66's are my choice!

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/02/13 04:21 AM

Us too! This will be the fourth 1966 Dodge we own:

1966 Charger Red/red 383-4 4-speed
1966 Charger White/gold 318 Auto (440 swap)
1966 Coronet 500 Convertible 383-4 Auto
1666 Coronet 440 383-4 Auto

I polished up all of the exterior trim and cleaned the glass/interior today. Tomorrow I will drop the tank and maybe look at the rear brakes. I have a set of 68-up road wheels and might put them on. Sure wish I had a set of Magnum 500's for it!

I would mount some tires on the original wheels but I am two hub caps short there as well.

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/02/13 04:23 AM

A few more pictures...

Attached picture 7609378-100_7376(Large).JPG
Posted By: TheBlueBeast

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/02/13 04:25 AM

I am glad it will live.

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/02/13 04:26 AM

driver side 1/4

Attached picture 7609389-100_7377(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/02/13 04:28 AM

I think that is the original starter!

Attached picture 7609394-100_7382(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/02/13 04:30 AM

Wiring is in amazing condition. Usually the pack rats eat it. There is a .22 wound on hood so maybe that explains it.

Attached picture 7609403-100_7383(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/02/13 04:31 AM

pass side has a light scrape that I noticed today...

Attached picture 7609405-100_7387(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/02/13 04:34 AM

Front trim is pretty hammered.

Attached picture 7609411-100_7388(Large).JPG
Posted By: gts340swinger

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/02/13 04:35 AM

Parts for those are pretty common so I would sell it as a project car. I like it myself and I have a bunch of parts for that era too. Oh well. No room.

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/02/13 04:35 AM

Cool bumper sticker

Attached picture 7609414-100_7390(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/02/13 04:36 AM

Driver front frame rail...

Attached picture 7609417-100_7391(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/02/13 04:39 AM

Undercoating probably saved the floor.

Attached picture 7609421-100_7392(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/02/13 04:41 AM

rear frame rail...

Attached picture 7609422-100_7393(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/02/13 04:42 AM

Look at that scary floor board...

Attached picture 7609425-100_7396(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/02/13 04:46 AM

Cool if you like patina...

Attached picture 7609438-100_7401(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/02/13 04:47 AM

ricochet?

Attached picture 7609442-100_7408(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/02/13 04:48 AM

This also scares me...

Attached picture 7609443-100_7409(Large).JPG
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/02/13 05:18 AM

Good luck with it. I've got a 67 Coronet 440 383 power front disc brake, power steering 8 3/4 car pretty much rust free (new front pass. fender completely clean), center console, bucket seats, (originally bench/column auto trans. Charger hide away head light grill, sitting in my garage for the last 10 years. All kinds of new parts, fuel, exhaust, bucket seats, console, ac dash plus all hoses and vents, brakes, etc. Need s new wiring harness front to back, and carpet. Really need to get on it. It's cold outside.
Posted By: patrick

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/02/13 06:27 PM

flip it as a project.... big block 2 door? even not running, it would probably go for $3500 here in the midwest in that kind of shape....

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/03/13 04:28 AM

I can't bring myself to flip it being a local car and all. Here is a pic from today after we polished things up a little more, cleaned the interior, and put on some more appealing (although incorrect) wheels and tires.

Hey mods can we move this to the project section please?

Attached picture 7610783-1966Coronet44003-02-2013.jpg
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/03/13 04:46 AM

Much as I told you to flip the parts off it, I have to admit I wouldn't follow my own advice either. I'd be seen around town with my arm out the window driving the wheels off of it too.

Sheldon

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/03/13 05:26 PM

do like the VW guys do, get it safe and reliable to drive, clean it, clear the paint, and enjoy the crap outta it till the $ comes to resto it.
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/03/13 07:32 PM

Its your car, but damn man don't cut it up.
Posted By: a12superbee

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/03/13 09:58 PM

I don't see one good reason to break that car up, I'd love to have it.

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/06/13 03:09 AM

Well you guys were right, it is not nearly as bad as we initially thought. 99% of the interior is stripped out so I can start prepping the floor board.

I also removed all of the door panels and lubed all of the moving parts with lithium grease. Upon inspection all of the rollers are free of cracks and flat spots. It would be nice not to have to remove the glass for once. The weatherstripping also looks pretty good and we were pleasantly surprised to see dry floors front and rear after it rained. Another first for me on a 66-67 b-body.

I have a question for any of you 66-67 Coronet owners. How many headliner bows should I have. Four were laying on the package tray so a few may be missing.

I still need to drop the gas tank, spray more lube in the cylinders, and rebuilt the carburetor. Mods I think we need a 66-67 b-body wrenching Graemlin.

Attached picture 7615037-100_7418(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/06/13 03:10 AM

Unfortunately the trunk divider, package tray, and headliner will need to be replaced.

Attached picture 7615041-100_7419(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/06/13 03:10 AM

A few shots of how it cleaned up...

Attached picture 7615043-100_7420(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/06/13 03:12 AM

In reference to the picture above - I am wondering if the steering column is original to the car. Maybe a line worker had a liquid lunch and mistook blue for black?

Attached picture 7615047-100_7421(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/06/13 03:14 AM

Spare tire well is nice. The spot weld under that holds the forward half of the spare tire holder bracket is intact. That seems to be a problem area on these cars because it is located in the lowest part of the trunk and all of the water collects.

Attached picture 7615051-100_7422(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/06/13 03:15 AM

Attached picture 7615052-100_7425(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/06/13 03:16 AM

Attached picture 7615053-100_7426(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/06/13 03:16 AM

Attached picture 7615055-100_7428(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/06/13 03:17 AM

Attached picture 7615059-100_7429(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/06/13 03:18 AM

Attached picture 7615060-100_7430(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/06/13 03:19 AM

Last one for now...

Attached picture 7615062-100_7431(Large).JPG
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/06/13 03:20 AM

Quote:

In reference to the picture above - I am wondering if the steering column is original to the car. Maybe a line worker had a liquid lunch and mistook blue for black?

The column is from a 67 as the wheel is different and the shifter is not all metal and has a plastic end.

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/06/13 03:25 AM

I thought the 66 and 67 columns were different because the 67 had a crush sleeve. At that rate they would have had to change the trim piece around the column to a '67 model as well to accommodate the larger diameter steering column, correct? I also thought the wiring in a '67 column was different because of the four way flashers. Time for an investigation!

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/11/13 11:45 PM

A little progress over the weekend...

Attached picture 7622231-100_7436(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/11/13 11:46 PM

Floors are prepped for a top coat. I had to patch over a few small holes but overall not too bad.

Attached picture 7622232-100_7437(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/11/13 11:47 PM

Attached picture 7622237-100_7438(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/11/13 11:48 PM

Attached picture 7622238-100_7439(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/12/13 10:18 PM

nice!
Posted By: dart1962_440

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/12/13 10:35 PM

Quote:

Floors are prepped for a top coat. I had to patch over a few small holes but overall not too bad.

Looks great! How did you patch over the few small holes. I'm looking to do something similar. Thanks

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/13/13 03:08 PM

Thanks guys...more pics to come soon.

I used some light gauge steel and formed it to the two area's where the floor was a little thin with a ball peen hammer. I then used a heavy weight epoxy and glues the patches to the floor. It's not the best way to go but the metal is too think to weld (I think?) and the biggest hole was only the size of a quarter and not enough to replace the floor pan. I keep reminding myself not to go overboard on this one.

Hopefully I can get the inside of the roof, trunk and roof itself prepped and painted before our legendary order shows up. I have blasted and painted all of the seat frames, seat brackets, etc. and have them in paint now. I sure hope the engine and trans are ok lol

Almost forgot..the gas tank and filler neck are ready to be picked up at the shop that cleaned them up so it's time to test the sndeing unit and order the replacement rubber parts.

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/13/13 10:04 PM

Quote:

I used some light gauge steel and formed it to the two area's where the floor was a little thin with a ball peen hammer. I then used a heavy weight epoxy and glues the patches to the floor. It's not the best way to go but the metal is too think to weld (I think?) and the biggest hole was only the size of a quarter and not enough to replace the floor pan. I keep reminding myself not to go overboard on this one.

Can you post a close up pic of the finished work please? Thanks

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/14/13 02:13 PM

I will try to remember when I get back out there after work today. Are you looking for anything specific?

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/14/13 09:28 PM

Quote:

I will try to remember when I get back out there after work today. Are you looking for anything specific?

Any area that was fixed with the ball peened metal and epoxied would be great.

Thanks!

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/12/13 07:06 AM

A few updates!

Attached picture 7664829-100_7570(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/12/13 07:08 AM

A few body shots...

Attached picture 7664831-100_7478(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/12/13 07:09 AM

Attached picture 7664832-100_7479(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/12/13 07:09 AM

Attached picture 7664833-100_7480(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/12/13 07:10 AM

Attached picture 7664835-100_7482(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/12/13 07:11 AM

Attached picture 7664836-100_7483(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/12/13 07:12 AM

Attached picture 7664837-100_7567(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/12/13 07:12 AM

Attached picture 7664838-100_7440(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/12/13 11:36 PM

Quote:

A few updates!

Thanks!!
Posted By: m88mark

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/13/13 12:20 AM

Sweet!

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/16/13 12:32 PM

It runs! I almost fell over when it started on the first crank and idled smooth. Trans has forward and reverse as well. Even the wiper motor parks. Hopefully my Legendary interior order shows up so I can get it on the street prior to moving!

Attached picture 7670026-100_7590(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/16/13 12:33 PM

a few more...

Attached picture 7670028-100_7594(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/16/13 12:34 PM

I sure do like the boxy, non wood grain era cars.

Attached picture 7670029-100_7595(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/16/13 12:35 PM

I should have said pre-wood grain era cars. A time before the engineers and salesmen changed out their skinny black ties for wide paisley.

Attached picture 7670031-100_7596(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/16/13 12:36 PM

Sorry about the poor picture quality.

Attached picture 7670032-100_7597(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/16/13 12:37 PM

Last one for now!

Attached picture 7670033-100_7599(Large).JPG
Posted By: smokes

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/16/13 06:05 PM

I have to say I have not enjoyed a post on here in quite a while as much as I enjoyed as this one! You made the right decision to keep the car and not part it out! A big-block B body that you can drive and not worry about door dings and other people damaging it. I see nothing but a win all around! Can't wait for more progress. I live in Portland and am suprised that no one tried to pick that car up from you. Looks very solid overall.

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/16/13 06:49 PM

Thank you! If you ever find yourself in Klamath Fails look me up and I'll take you to lunch in the Coronet. I sure wish I could sell my Charger to make room in the shop. We have to be moved to a new place by the end of next month so I am trying to make progress before that all comes to a head. I can't create a youtube account for some reason or I would have uploaded some video.

Attached picture 7670417-100_7609.JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/16/13 06:51 PM

I re-bled the brakes and replaced the shocks with some Monroe's we had on the shelf. I think the rears were original judging by the under coating. We were wondering if they should hit the scrap pile or?

Attached picture 7670420-100_7610(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/16/13 07:26 PM

Check it out, my first youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3b4if2Nu24&feature=youtu.be

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/17/13 09:56 AM

You made the right choice.
Posted By: pushbutton

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/17/13 01:36 PM

Quote:

You made the right choice.

You'll have more fun with it than with a nice restoration.

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/18/13 06:22 PM

Thanks guys, I am excited to get it on the road. My Legendary Interior order showed up today so we can finally get started on the seats frames tonight. I will let you all know how it goes. To simplify the process and mitigate multiple trips to the craft/fabric store I decided to buy the Legendary install kit. We shall see if it was worth shipping two huge boxes of cotton fluff and foam from New Jersey to Oregon.

After we get the carpet and seats back I'll re-install the interior trim, replace a few sections of weatherstripping, refurb the heater box, and drive it. Most likely the headliner and vinyl top will have to hang in the rafters until next year. One other thing on my short list is to find a 742 sure grip. This thing will destroy the little 14" radials with the peg leg.

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/23/13 02:01 PM

Moving along!

Attached picture 7679221-100_7618(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/23/13 02:01 PM

Sorry about the mess, we are in the middle of moving...

Attached picture 7679222-100_7619(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/23/13 02:02 PM

The tips of my fingers are still a little sore lol

Attached picture 7679225-100_7622(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/23/13 02:04 PM

Luckily I had my helper here to make things go MUCH faster. I'd still be working if I had been doing this myself.

Attached picture 7679229-100_7623(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/23/13 02:05 PM

Now the fun part is in sight.

Attached picture 7679231-100_7624(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/23/13 02:07 PM

Foam all trimmed and ready for muslin. The guys in the legendary interior instruction video didn't use any and hog ringed the foam directly to the seat frame.

Attached picture 7679235-100_7627(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/23/13 02:10 PM

We uncovered the pool table and let the spray glue dry for the night...

There is nothing like drinking some good beer and shooting pool in your own living room. On to a new day...

Attached picture 7679239-100_7629(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/23/13 02:11 PM

Looking at this pic I see we really need to get some material for the davenport...

Attached picture 7679240-100_7632(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/23/13 02:12 PM

RST..that's rear seat top for you non-upholstery types lol

Attached picture 7679243-100_7635(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/23/13 02:16 PM

Here is a funny thing. I decided to forgo the fifteen trips to the fabric store and ordered the installation kits from Legendary. The don't send enough burlap, muslin, and neglect to include half of the stuff they use in their instruction video. Adding that to the fact that most of the seat covers were sewn crooked or asymmetrical had my helper and I somewhat dismayed.

Attached picture 7679250-100_7637(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/23/13 02:17 PM

Ok no more whining...the show must go on.

Attached picture 7679252-100_7641(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/23/13 02:18 PM

We used five layers of cotton on the RST. I think I will use four on the next job...

Attached picture 7679254-100_7642(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/23/13 02:19 PM

Ready for the cover...

Attached picture 7679255-100_7643(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/23/13 02:21 PM

As always I am open to suggestions pertaining to our methods. If you see something that we could do better please chime in!

Attached picture 7679257-100_7645(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/23/13 02:23 PM

FSB...front seat bottom. Now yo ucan sound like a big shot at the car shows.

Attached picture 7679262-100_7646(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/23/13 02:24 PM

Notice the felt around the edges. It is pretty nice however I used carpet jute for the last set of buckets and it made for a nice "edge" on the corner of the seat once the cover was installed.

Attached picture 7679265-100_7649(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/23/13 02:26 PM

Another day goes by working on old cars...I am about ready to be done with this hobby. I'll be 35 this summer and it's time to move on to bigger and better things.

Attached picture 7679267-100_7650(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/23/13 02:27 PM

I decided to take my coffee in the driveway on Sunday morning.

Attached picture 7679269-100_7652(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/23/13 02:28 PM

Attached the muslin that, according to the experts, is not needed. Kind of like the wire woven in the burlap, this step is omitted on Legendary's instructional video. Hey, what do I know?

Attached picture 7679271-100_7653(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/23/13 02:29 PM

Ready for seat cover!

Attached picture 7679272-100_7654(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/23/13 02:33 PM

I found this kind of interesting after doing some research. This front bench seat only had a helper spring on the passenger side. I figured the driver side spring broke of was removed however my friend Tom ( Cuda Junction for all of your hard to find parts ) said that the early cars only had one. The 68-up cars had springs on both sides. Thoughts on this? He is going to hook me up with a NOS spring for the driver side. Tom rules.

Attached picture 7679275-100_7655(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/23/13 02:35 PM

I am also still trying to come up with a source for these little bumpers that screw to the back seat. I see that the 62-65 bumpers are reproduced...are the 66-up bumpers the same or similar? Thoughts?

Attached picture 7679278-100_7658(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/23/13 02:36 PM

FSB...fin

Attached picture 7679279-100_7661(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/23/13 02:37 PM

FST...front seat top

I feel like such a snob using such terms lol

Attached picture 7679281-100_7662(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/23/13 02:38 PM

Burlap and wire completed

Attached picture 7679282-100_7663(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/23/13 02:39 PM

We decided to use four layers of cotton fluff on the FST's so we don't fly out of the car when it hits a pothole.

Attached picture 7679283-100_7664(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/23/13 02:40 PM

One down, one to go!

Attached picture 7679284-100_7665(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/23/13 02:41 PM

Ready for cruising yall

Attached picture 7679286-100_7668(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/23/13 02:41 PM

Icing on the cake. I'm not sure I would ever start or finish anything without her help!

Attached picture 7679288-100_7667(Large).JPG
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/23/13 03:01 PM

Good work! Never done upholstery before. Looks time consuming!

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/23/13 03:11 PM

Quote:

Good work! Never done upholstery before. Looks time consuming!

And beer consuming!

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/24/13 08:51 AM

Wow those came out really well, nice job. Here, have a beer.

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/24/13 01:09 PM

This is one of my new favorite projects on here.
I am very happy you didn't decide to part it out, that is going to be a sharp car with that color combination!

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/24/13 02:14 PM

Thanks guys. It sure has been fun to work on a car that hasn't been butchered. After much discussion around the upholstery bench we decided to build one of our 511 short blocks into a stock appearing 383 with stealth heads. I have a Dana 60 housing with some ends that will go in it at some point as well. It should be a fun car with the column shift. We need to use up as much of our parts stash as possible. Good times.
Posted By: Augie D

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/28/13 09:02 PM

Very Sweet ride you have .. i had one some time ago. this is what i id to the car. and yes i did sell it . why i don't know why.

Attached picture 7685679-P6300001.jpg

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/29/13 03:35 AM

Quote:

Very Sweet ride you have .. i had one some time ago. this is what i id to the car. and yes i did sell it . why i don't know why.

I like it! What was the car originally?

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 08/19/13 05:39 PM

Ok I am back on track with this car. Other than tuning on the carb and adding a Pertronix Ignitor not much progress has been made since spring.

I have a tone of parts sitting around for this car and will be finishing up the interior and putting on the new exhaust as time allows. I also need to replace the exhaust manifold on the driver side because it is cracked. I hate exhaust leaks with a passion!

Anyway, I scored all of the stuff needed to insulate the firewall/cowl, seal up the wiper pivots, and restore the heater box from Detroit Muscle Technologies. As always the Filmore tribe delivers with excellence!

Attached picture 7819675-100_7971(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 08/19/13 05:41 PM

I didn't go too crazy on the details because this thing is a basic "get it running and sanitized" deal so I can drive around and not be annoyed. Note lack of stamp on heater box cover, etc. I also sprung for a new heater core. I have been burned too many times using the original only to have it start leaking shortly afterwards. My new rule is new carpet = new heater core lol

Attached picture 7819678-100_7978(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 08/19/13 05:44 PM

An artistic shot of the shoddy pad, firewall insulation, and wiper pivot gaskets. I drilled a hole in the wiper pivots and greased them with a needle grease gun fitting and sealed up the hole with black 3M weatherstrip adhesive.

We also scored a dash pad from PG Classic. Just like the one on our other Coronet, it fit like crap. I am going to order a dash cap to try over the winter. At least it will fit correctly even if it's not 100% right.

Attached picture 7819682-100_7977(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 08/19/13 05:46 PM

I also found a '66 steering column to replace the incorrect mystery '67 column in the car. I have it painted and need to reassemble it and get it installed. Here is the chrome stuff polished up.

Attached picture 7819687-100_7979(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 08/26/13 05:34 PM

Moving right along at a snail's pace!

Attached picture 7828026-100_7984(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 08/26/13 05:42 PM

New sill plates and seat belts are installed! I am trying to replace items that are not easily accessible and leaving the low hanging fruit (i.e., door panels) alone for now. Similar to most resto parts everything is generally the same as the original but lacking in quality and small (sometimes large) details.

Attached picture 7828035-100_7985(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 08/26/13 06:21 PM

We put enough seat belts in the car for six people. Big powerful cars with bench seats are made to move people!

Attached picture 7828086-100_7986(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 08/29/13 07:02 PM

She's comin right along!
This is one of my favorite projects being chronicled, it's nice to see someone save a solid one vs. parting it out for $$$.
Keep up the good work!

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 09/05/13 04:23 AM

Thank you Jon, I have been chipping away at little stuff here and there for a while now. I figure even if I can only work on something for 15 minutes every other day it will slowly come to life.

I scored a nice set of exhaust manifolds to swap on when we install the new exhaust. They have been blasted and painted with cast iron VHT since the picture was taken. Thanks to member YellowFever doe the great deal on a very nice set of manifolds.

Attached picture 7840172-100_7980(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 09/05/13 04:25 AM

A little time was spent cleaning and detailing the dash bezel. Normally I would use Bare Metal Foil to finish the "trim" area's on the cluster bezel but I like the silver paint with the silver (and rust) exterior. I also painted the gauge needles to freshen things up a bit.

Attached picture 7840175-100_8008(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 09/05/13 04:28 AM

New dash circuitry thanks to Charger Specialties...note built in 5V regulator.

Attached picture 7840176-100_8007(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 09/05/13 04:28 AM

Back seat, rear arm rests and window cranks are on!

Attached picture 7840180-100_8009(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 09/05/13 04:34 AM

Front seat, defroster ducting, dash cluster, glove box door, etc, etc, etc tested and ready for service. I'll wait to install the new glove box until I decide what to do with the stereo. I am leaning towards having my mint '66 AM radio converted but $459 is a lot of scratch. I could easily get a five channel amp and some speakers for close to that and have much better results. I think the FMR-1 is 180 watts (45Wx4) and you can only get one with the conversion. The people that make the unit (Aurora Design) will only sell to their dealer network so that leaves us electronic tinkerers out of it.

Attached picture 7840186-100_8011(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 09/05/13 04:35 AM

No comment on this one to make up for running on in the last post...

Attached picture 7840189-100_8013(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 09/05/13 04:37 AM

Not bad for a 47 year old car that spent 20+ years in the woods!

Attached picture 7840194-100_8016(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 09/08/13 06:20 AM

Sure is looking good at this point.
How long before we can go for a ride?

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 09/08/13 03:46 PM

You read my mind...today is the day! Video coming soon.

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 09/26/13 11:30 AM

No video, but some picture updates. I am almost ready to stick a fork in this one until next year. It drives nice!

Attached picture 7866282-100_8046(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 09/26/13 11:32 AM

I'd like to find a better bumper but don't want to lose the Mt. Shasta Ag stickers. No luck finding any NOS sticker yet.

Attached picture 7866283-100_8047(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 09/26/13 11:32 AM

With it's younger brother...

Attached picture 7866284-100_8048(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 09/26/13 11:33 AM

A few more of the siblings.

Attached picture 7866285-100_8050(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 09/26/13 11:34 AM

Still undecided on painting it or not.

Attached picture 7866287-100_8051(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 09/26/13 11:36 AM

New exhaust! I sure love the sound the AFB makes when you tip into the secondaries at highway speeds. Car has a 3.23 gear so it's pretty responsive for what it is.

Attached picture 7866289-100_8053(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 09/26/13 11:37 AM

I need to find that top strip of trunk trim or fix the one I have. Maybe a winter project.

Attached picture 7866290-100_8056(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 09/26/13 11:38 AM

The "good" side of the car:

Attached picture 7866291-100_8059(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 09/26/13 11:39 AM

The 300 is a porker compared to the sleek Coronet. Don't tell the 300 I said that.

Attached picture 7866292-100_8061(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 09/26/13 11:40 AM

Sport grain, column shift. Still undecided on the radio options.

Attached picture 7866294-100_8062(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 09/26/13 11:42 AM

I have new hoses and corbin clamps coming for the radiator. Also working on a deal for a good shroud. Some of you might remember this car came to me because I was looking for the correct radiator for our 1966 Coronet 500 383-4 convertible.

Attached picture 7866297-100_8063(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 09/26/13 11:45 AM

Heater hoses hooked up for the cool autumn weather. When we replaced the exhaust system I swapped the manifolds for some that had been surfaced, blasted, and painted. Even the heat riser works like it should. I had to pull a head to drill out 3 broken bolts on the driver side and you could still see cross hatch in the bore with minimal ridge.

Attached picture 7866300-100_8064(Large).JPG

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 09/27/13 09:17 AM

Car looks great, I'm glad you didn't break it apart.

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 10/06/13 02:38 PM

Me too!

We ran it across the scale today... 3650 with 3/4 tank, no spare no jack. What a pig!
Posted By: smokes

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 08/15/14 02:52 AM

Hey, any updates on this thing???
Posted By: dwayne welder

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 08/31/14 03:18 AM

Any update's yet!!! I love the car!! I had one from 1971 through 1975!! It had a 383, 4bbl, 4 speed, manual steering and brake's!!! I miss that car alot!!!
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/14/15 07:09 PM

Bump for upholstery reference.

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 02/19/15 05:46 AM

All of the work is still holding up great. This car has been out go-to rain or shine for two years now I think?

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/29/16 07:39 AM

Still rocking the 440 model rain or shine.

Attached picture IMG_20160327_151336_463.jpg

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/29/16 07:41 AM

New glass, horizontal surfaces cleaned up, and some trim restoration made it look somewhat respectable.

Attached picture IMG_20160327_151251_911.jpg

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/29/16 07:43 AM

Attached picture IMG_20160327_151347_266.jpg

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/29/16 07:44 AM

I'm really tempted to do something here. Stock 383's are borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring lol.

Attached picture IMG_20160327_151726_152.jpg

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 03/29/16 07:46 AM

Happily ever after living in heated storage, with a view.

Attached picture IMG_20160327_151609_711.jpg
Posted By: wally426ci

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/01/16 04:34 PM

Such a great car ,am. I'm really glad you didn't part it.

Wish I could find one at a decent price!

Re: Coronet 440 drug out of woods...scrap or get running? - 04/12/16 06:22 AM

Thanks Wally! Hope all is well on your end.
© 2024 Moparts Forums