Moparts

'71 Demon Project Build

Posted By: VITC_GTX

'71 Demon Project Build - 11/11/08 03:59 AM

Hi all!

I've seen a couple of posts in the last year or two where folks had kept us updated on the status of their project (Steve/HemiChallenger and the ’71 Super Bee and Gary/Challenger 1 with his Challengers) so I thought I would give it a try. Now, I don’t have the talent or skills that the others have shown but hopefully some of you will be interested or may learn something yourselves.

My car is a ’71 Demon that I bought from the original owner. She bought the /6-904 car new here in town and has kept it ever since. It still wears its original paint and doesn’t show any rust or body damage beyond a few door dings (crossing my fingers). Last fall/winter I replaced the /6 with a 360 Magnum that I built and put a 727 and 8 ¾ behind it (it has run 12.76 at 104 mph in full street trim and full exhaust so I’m pretty happy with that). I will be taking the drivetrain out the bottom of the car (luckily I have a two post lift in my shop) and gutting the interior. I plan on a “quick” repaint with a color change of brown to Sassy Grass and a complete interior overall (bench to buckets). I will most likely paint over the existing paint unless I find something that worries me. I will post pics as I go (again, not as exciting as some others but hopefully worth looking at) and I’m sure I will have questions that you all can help me with. I plan on getting this done prior to next years race season in March.

I just setup a photobucket account so hopefully I can attach pics that way.

Sit back and enjoy, and wish me luck!!

Pic of car "before"

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/11/08 04:04 AM

Couple of hours into day one.

Just removed rear lights and bumper.

Yes, I bagged and tagged everything!!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/11/08 04:06 AM

Day two: Removed the front bumper, valance, grill, lights, and hood.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/11/08 04:09 AM

Just 30 minutes today removing door and window weather stripping.

Not too exciting yet...

Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/11/08 04:09 AM

Looks like a great project and an excellent car to build. It will be sharp Sassy Grass, but I would have to stick with the original color, that car is beautiful as is, a fresh coat of paint in that color would be hard to beat. It will be shart either way though, have fun with it, cant wait to see finished shots of it.
Posted By: sharpie

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/11/08 05:29 AM

Great minds think alike. Mine will stay its original GF3, but will be changing froma slant six to a 360 Magnum whenever I can get a cam/heads.

I am also just doing minor touchups before paint, as I don't want to go through all that bodywork right now.
Posted By: demon440

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/11/08 05:41 AM

Very cool car.
Mine is almost identical to yours.
Brown on brown, /6 rust free from Arizona.
Someday it will be Silver and Big Block powered.

Attached picture 4805639-side(Medium).jpg
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/11/08 05:43 AM

Quote:

Looks like a great referance shot for proper grill blackout for those so inclined...A few more angles of this would probably be useful to someone doing an A body resto...

BTW I've said it before looks like a great start, you've got it running impressively & I'm sure it's gonna look great...
Posted By: Hillbillyracer

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/11/08 06:05 AM

Like your project,and paint the car the same color.It would be nice to see a car that is not the same color as everbodys

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/11/08 11:38 AM

Can you PM me some pictures of the motor? I want to see where stuff resides in the engine bay for reference. Thanks.
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/11/08 12:11 PM

Thanks for sharing! Great job so far. I can't wait to see the updates. Keep up the good work.
Posted By: RacerGofKGB

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/11/08 01:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Looks like a great referance shot for proper grill blackout for those so inclined...

i was just thinkin gthe same thing. I will be painting my wngine compartment in the near future and this is a great reference shot.
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/11/08 06:10 PM

Looks like a great base to start with.

I kinda like the color.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/12/08 12:26 AM

Sharpie- I will get you some pics of the motor compartment.

I will take a couple more of the front black out for those that may need it too.

Some of you have mentioned not changing the color and I understand the reason (I'm sure that there are more Sassy Grass and Sublime Demons now than they actually built in '71 and '72). I just need a bright color, I love them. My GTX is VitC (original color) and my daily driver is bright yellow. I like to stand out
Posted By: DusterKrazy

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/12/08 12:57 AM

Thats a good looking car. Hope the gas cap I sold you is working out good for it Good luck with the build

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/12/08 03:01 AM

Quote:

Thats a good looking car. Hope the gas cap I sold you is working out good for it Good luck with the build

Thanks!!

The gas cap is perfect, thanks for the help

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/12/08 03:08 AM

Another hours worth of work. I removed the rear seat, panels and quarter windows. I figure I will spend an hour or two working on it when I can so I don't get burned out too fast!

Oh yeah, I wanted to tell the folks back east how lucky they are. I can't find rust anywhere on this car...how am I expected to learn how to complete rust repair if the cars don't have rust

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/12/08 03:12 AM

Looks like a great referance shot for proper grill blackout for those so inclined...A few more angles of this would probably be useful to someone doing an A body resto...

Here are a couple more pics of the grill blackout. Please let me know if anyone needs additional pics.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/12/08 03:17 AM

Quote:

Can you PM me some pictures of the motor? I want to see where stuff resides in the engine bay for reference. Thanks.

PM sent. Let me know if the pictures didn't come through. I'm learning as I go here...

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/12/08 03:20 AM

That car is in unreal condition as far being solid!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/12/08 03:20 AM

Looking good!
Keep us posted. I love these threads

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/12/08 04:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

PM sent. Let me know if the pictures didn't come through. I'm learning as I go here...

got the pics, thanks!
Posted By: BloFish

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/12/08 04:19 AM

Quote:

Looking good!
Keep us posted. I love these threads

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/13/08 05:11 AM

No work on the car today. I spent most of the evening framing in more attic space in my shop for storage. I'm running out of space to put this stuff
Posted By: JD340

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/13/08 01:16 PM

Amazing how much space they take up when they're all apart, isn't it? Add me to the list that envy's your rust free sheetmetal!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/13/08 04:30 PM

A demon build thread is awesome! It's not something you see everyday thats for sure

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/16/08 03:41 AM

Spent an hour or two on the car this afternoon.

Removed both torsion bars in a matter of minutes, and without the t-bar removal tool!! I love cut-off tools

Removed the radiator and diconnected the wiring harness, fuel line, battery cables, grounds, throttle cable, etc preparing for the unit to come out the bottom. All I have left is the speedo cable, shifter cable, driveline, shocks, upper control arms and K member bolts. I bought casters to make a dolly for the motor/trans and for the front of the car. May get the motor/trans out tomorrow (if I don't go to my friends house and help him put up insulation and wallboard in his shop).

Radiator removed

Everything unhooked

Can you see what's missing....yep no t-bars

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/20/08 03:45 AM

Been sick the last four days so I didn't work on the car.

I feel better today but so I welded up some dollies for the front of the car in preparation for removing the motor/k-member (hopefully they hold )

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/22/08 09:09 PM

Ok, pretty boring so far. Hopefully todays work will be a little more interesting, or least help someone out in the future.

Took the motor/tranny/suspension out through the bottom today (first time for me). Not too bad, I think I would do it again for a project like this (of course it really helps to have a lift )

Few pics

Posted By: HemiChallenger

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/22/08 10:04 PM

Looking good Van! Dont be sad you have a rust free car, those would be a blessing if any east coast guy could find one! Love Sassy grass too, best color IMO. Keep up the good work and im sure you know, take your time NOW because in the end it will be worth it. There are a few things i wish i would have done better but got caught up in giving everyone updates, as silly as it sounds its true

Steve
Posted By: ixelerate

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/23/08 10:12 AM

I just can't believe how rust free!! and the more pictures you take the cleaner that body gets awesome car and awesome project!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/24/08 01:39 AM

Thanks for the advice Steve

I think I do understand...

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/24/08 01:41 AM

OK, little more...not much.

Removed hood latches, wiring harnesses, wiper motor, master cylinder/lines, steering column, etc.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/24/08 01:47 AM

Some of you have made very nice comments on how good of shape the car is (thank you to all) but I realized that I have only been showing you the good side of things. Well, I have a few pictures that show all the damage the car has (it's original paint so hopefully nothing is hiding). These pictures may change your mind about this car. In fact, those of you with weak stomachs may want to turn away now.

Dent on left rear quarter

Dent on left rear wheel opening

Dent on right rear wheel opening

Dent on top of car, right above windshield

Posted By: MuscleMopars

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/25/08 03:03 PM

Quote:

Some of you have made very nice comments on how good of shape the car is (thank you to all) but I realized that I have only been showing you the good side of things. Well, I have a few pictures that show all the damage the car has (it's original paint so hopefully nothing is hiding). These pictures may change your mind about this car. In fact, those of you with weak stomachs may want to turn away now.

I'd take those dents any day! Clean is clean and some small dents on the original paint are to be expected and welcomed! Here is my Green Go '71 340 Demon to compare colors with.

Attached picture 4837901-71greengoDemon340lf2.JPG

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/25/08 04:18 PM

Here is my Green Go '71 340 Demon to compare colors with.

Your car looks perfect!! I now have a goal to shoot for. Thanks

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/28/08 04:11 AM

Got the windshield and rear window out. Not much, but hey, it's Thanksgiving

Still haven't found any rust

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/28/08 11:44 PM

Pulled out the stud welder and tried my hand a little body work. I have minutes of experience at body work so this only took me about two hours to complete . Luckily there are only three more dents

Before

After

Posted By: RAUPLEMINZE454

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/29/08 05:18 PM

Cool build! My little brother has been building one also. He started out with a mostly rustfree slant 6 71 New Mexico car and we found a 1970 Duster 340 car for parts. After we sold a lot of the parts that we werent going to use off of the duster his drivetrain was pretty much free. Here is a pic from a few years ago:

While you have the body off, you should consider sub frames connectors if you havent done so already. Here is a shot of his before the underside got painted:

Good luck with your project! Take alot of pics and keep us posted!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/30/08 12:04 AM

Couple of more hours doing bodywork that should have taken me 20 minutes. I guess it's a learning experience though

From what I can tell both of the dents I have worked on should take less than .020" of filler to finish off...time will tell.

Before

After

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/30/08 12:08 AM

Looks good! I would love to have your hood that's sitting on top of the car, it would save me $800 ($600 for bolt on hood with $200 shipping). The hood will cost me more than any one piece on this car...including the car itself
Posted By: RAUPLEMINZE454

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/30/08 03:49 AM

Quote:

Looks good! I would love to have your hood that's sitting on top of the car, it would save me $800 ($600 for bolt on hood with $200 shipping). The hood will cost me more than any one piece on this car...including the car itself

Its actually a lift off fiberglass hood that was a little over $400 I think but it was years ago.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/30/08 03:00 PM

Can is looking good. So what if it takes you longer to repair it. Your doing it yourself and it appears that your getting those dents out pretty dang good!

Steve

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 12/27/08 02:12 AM

OK, finally some progress (though very little). Been busy with work and holidays.

I finally went out and worked on the last dent today. This should be the end of the body work (there a few door dings but those shouldn't take more than a few minutes).

Here is the before (it looks like a pole was hit because there was high spots above and below this dent).

Here is after. The body line isn't perfect but I couldn't get to the back of the area.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 12/28/08 12:18 AM

Little more work today. Just did a little sanding with the DA. I don't plan on taking the paint off prior to repaint but I did take it off the lower quarter. I sprayed PAM cooking spray on there to help with being able to clean off the burnout rubber... I know, it wasn't very smart. Just to make sure I don't have any problems I just sanded it off.

Here is a shot of the right side of the car.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 12/28/08 07:41 AM

That things looking good! You dont need to worry about grease like that. You should wipe the thing down with some grease wax removed and final wash before paint and you will be good to go.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 12/29/08 11:45 PM

Ever get that feeling that you're in over your head? Did some more work on the Demon today, not long but enough to cause some serious damage

My plans are to have the car done by the end of March for the racing season but looking at it now makes me wonder

I've seen a lot of cars tore down and never put back to together but I swear this won't be one of them.

Pulled the dash out (never done this before)

Now I need to tear it apart so I can paint it

Pulled the heater box out (another first for me)

Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 12/30/08 12:59 AM

That is good progress there.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/05/09 01:00 AM

Been doing a lot of small things lately. Welded the bench seat mounting holes up since I am going with buckets, and gutted the doors. Did some other "invisible" work cleaning up the motor compartment, trunk and inside firewall.

Not very exciting but it's another four or five hours.

Posted By: 3eighty3

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/05/09 11:03 AM

Great work there!
I can really share your anxiety about tearing everything apart and not being able to put it back together again...with all the parts in boxes

I always try to stay calm by thinking it's no big problem, just a bunch of little ones!

thomas

cuda blog
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/05/09 10:27 PM

Quote:

Oh yeah, I wanted to tell the folks back east how lucky they are. I can't find rust anywhere on this car...how am I expected to learn how to complete rust repair if the cars don't have rust

I'll tell you how...come to Detroit and get to work on my extra crispy '70 Duster!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/06/09 03:19 AM

OK, finally made the right decision and decided to strip the entire car instead of painting over the original paint. I figure I'm only $40 worth of sandpaper from it, might as well.

Had a little helper today too. Didn't get much done but had a lot of fun with little Samantha Ruth.

She's doing a little DA work

She is chiseling out body sealer from the gutters

Her final product!!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/06/09 03:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'll tell you how...come to Detroit and get to work on my extra crispy '70 Duster!

Drive it out here and I'll help

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/06/09 04:00 AM

Quote:

I always try to stay calm by thinking it's no big problem, just a bunch of little ones!

That's good, I love it

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/07/09 01:15 PM

Great job so far. DOn't worry it will all come back together easier than you think. Very cool you had your daughter helping! Keep up the good work and progress pics.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/09/09 04:16 AM

Nothing special but I figure if I keep posting progress pics it might help keep me motivated.

Just sanded off some more paint. Took about four hours to get the paint off of this side of the car.

Posted By: 4speeds4me

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/09/09 08:58 PM

I'll get shot for this, but you only live once, so here goes.

As soon as it's stripped. CLEAR IT! I LOVE the look of freshly DA sanded metal...
Posted By: JD340

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/10/09 03:02 AM

Quote:

As soon as it's stripped. CLEAR IT! I LOVE the look of freshly DA sanded metal...

I was thinking the same thing!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/10/09 05:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I was thinking the same thing!

The more of it I see the more I like it! That means I'm getting closer to finishing!!!

I stripped the trunk lid tonight, took 1 hour. Not going to post any pics, you've all seen a trunk lid before

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/12/09 03:37 AM

Finished sanding the complete exterior of the car. I'll post a pic later.

I need to sandblast the motor compartment, trunk and jambs. Hopefully will get this done next weekend. Then I can prime away!!!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/21/09 04:22 PM

That car is very nice.
I wish I had a place, time, and money to do mine.
I would like to see a picture of the whole car in bare metal.( that would be cool)

Attached picture 4963009-000_0075(Small).jpg

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/24/09 07:41 PM

I'll post some pics of the bare metal car today. Also, I have the car in a tent I built in the shop to sandblast. I'll get pics of that too.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/25/09 01:38 AM

Few more pics. Since the last pics I have finished DA'ing the exterior of the car. I built a sandblasting booth in the shop and started blasting the motor compartment today. Things worked great but after I used the 100lb bag of sand I bought I re-used the stuff on the floor. I must have got some garbage in there because it plugged up instantly. I'll fix that tomorrow.

Here is the fancy blasting booth. Took about 40 minutes to put up.

Here is the exterior of the car.

This is how far I got with 100 lbs. Both inner fenders and part of the firewall.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/25/09 03:59 AM

Sandblasting those little things are a must but its a Pain! I would have no problem paying someone to blast a car for me know how much work is involved to do it yourself. Looks great

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/25/09 04:07 AM

Thanks!!

I'm usually too cheap to pay someone else for what I can do. There was a guy in town that would soda blast an entire car for $400-$500 and I considered that but I believe he closed up shop anyway.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/25/09 07:30 AM

GREAT JOB! and keep up the good work.....It will turn out great. I just caught this thread and love the progress you are making on the Demon and the pics are really inspiring. I picked up a one owner B7 '70 Duster 225/904 car from San Francisco, CA last year and had it shipped to Cincinnati, Ohio....I almost regret bringing it to this climate...not really ...but this car is as rust free as your car, but the Lady managed to dent almost every panel...still worth it when you look at the underside of this amazing time capsule. It will be going through a restoration sometime soon with powertrain upgrade! Just wanted to say keep us updated on the progress...It's looking Great ........Nico
Posted By: Mr Bojangles

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/25/09 07:46 AM

Keep up the good work and stay motivated. And keep the pics coming.....

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/26/09 12:38 AM

Got a little farther today until I ran out of sand for the blaster. Good thing it's $7.50 for 100 lbs, I already used 300 pounds...

Just need to complete the right headlight bucket area and the motor compartment will be done. It's only taken my about 45 minutes of actual blasting time so it's working pretty well for me.

Next are jambs, doors, bottom of trunk and hood.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/31/09 05:54 PM

Very cool. Keep up the great work!
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/31/09 06:07 PM

That sheet metal looks great!!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/28/09 04:21 AM

OK, it's been a while but I am finally back at it. My wife's mother passed away last week from cancer so the last month or so has been kind of hectic. But, of course, family before cars.

Anyway, I finished blasting the engine compartment, door jambs, trunk jams, hood, trunk, doors, etc. The car is 100% stripped of paint now minus the interior floor which I don't plan on doing. I tore down my makeshift blasting tent and now I need to clean up all the sand.

I also have the complete interior kit for the car already so I may start on foaming/recovering the buckets and back seat too.

Today I went out and bought DP primer and K36 filler primer ($465 ) so once I clean the car up from sand I will primer the areas I blasted.

Here are a few boring pics.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/28/09 04:26 AM

I also spend some time working on the two hood scoops I got for the car. I originally wanted to go with a hinged sixpack hood but I just couldn't justify the $800 so I went with the two scoops. When I got the scoops they didn't lay well on the hood (hood is curved, scoops were flat) but this was very easy to remedy. Took an hour or so with a small die grinder and a 1" drum sander. Not too bad...and it saved me $626

Before

And after

Posted By: 3eighty3

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/28/09 01:57 PM

You're making progress on your project! Good to see so much attention to detail as in making the scoops fit the hood really good!

thomas

cuda blog
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/28/09 10:02 PM

Wow....your doing a fantastic job so far..I am actually looking for a nice demon that is in the same condition as yours...know of any more around for sale??...keep up the great work!
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/03/09 01:19 AM

Sand....what a mess! That stuff gets everywhere. I'm glad you have that part behind you.

The scoops came out nice. I honestly don't recall how my factory ones fit. Been too many years ago since I put them on.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/09/09 11:38 PM

I know it's not much but as least it's a move in the right direction. Plus, this is a first for me, never have DP'd and primed before. Just did the jambs, engine compartment, under trunk/hood and inside of doors.

At least I'm learning.

Plan on finishing up filler work now.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/02/09 10:02 PM

UPDATES?!?!
Posted By: dmoore

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/03/09 12:40 AM

Oh yea! Lets see some more of that Demon!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/05/09 04:46 AM

Well, it's been a few weeks since I've shown any progress. That's because I don't have much to show

I have tried my hand at filler work (first time for me). I covered the areas that I could find/feel and had a fried of mine who is a professional painter come over and check. He said that I did a darn good job for the first time. He showed me some addiational areas (the places with masking tape). I will get these covered this week and then have him come back for one more quick check before I primer.

On a sad note...today is the first day of test and tune at the local track...and this is my race car

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/05/09 07:02 AM

Car looks great.
I can't wait for it to warm up so I can
get to work on mine.

Attached picture 5143387-poster7579866(Small).jpg
Posted By: 71Polara383

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/07/09 06:45 AM

Everytime i look At this it gets me amped to work on mine. Keep it Up!
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/07/09 07:14 AM

Hey one thing I have just reccognized recently. Demons and Dusters quarters have an area about the size of your hand just behind the doors (circled) that has a factory depression that may appear to be a dent (both sides of the car have them). Just so you don't drive yourself crazy filling & blocking it flat, it's SUPPOSED to be there.

Attached picture 5148038-Demondent.jpg

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/07/09 07:21 AM

It really shows in this particular shot due to the lighting, it's not as noticable in person.

Attached picture 5148039-DentDemon.jpg
Posted By: OSO

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/07/09 08:48 AM

Nice work, its going to great when finished keep up the good work. If i was smart i would build something like that for the motor and trans out of my truck but i am who i am.
Posted By: 79machocharger

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/07/09 12:20 PM

It's looking great . To me the duster, dart, demon is one of the hardest car to do as far as body work, they have way too many body lines, and curves. E bodies and b bodies are way easier they have alot less body lines.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/07/09 03:37 PM

Quote:

Hey one thing I have just reccognized recently. Demons and Dusters quarters have an area about the size of your hand just behind the doors (circled) that has a factory depression that may appear to be a dent (both sides of the car have them). Just so you don't drive yourself crazy filling & blocking it flat, it's SUPPOSED to be there.

Tell e about it. I started to make that mistake with my E58 car...then I realized. Good thing, too!
Posted By: CJK440

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/07/09 03:57 PM

Quote:

Ah, the good ole Duster Dent.
Posted By: JonsGottaDusta

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/07/09 06:09 PM

DO you know if that was a mold defect or was it meant to be there for some reason? I have always wondered why that was there

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/07/09 06:34 PM

I believe it was supposed to be there as a transition to the door. If you run your hand from the depresion forward it smooths right into the door surface. Not to mention that it's unlikely that the mistake would have been made on both sides of the car. It used to be the last thing I noticed on a car, now it's the first thing I look for, if they aren't there you can be fairly certain that there's mud in the panel to fill it

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/07/09 08:50 PM

I'd say Scott's got it right on. They used the same doors as the Dart's and Valiants, and they were pretty flat sided. That "dent" as it appears, makes them line up better, matching the lines more acceptably.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/01/10 05:18 AM

Well, eight months and I'm ashamed to say I didn't get a darn thing done on the car until last weekend. I just plain lost interest and got busy doing other things but hopefully now I will get back on it.

Filler is complete (finally) and the car is ready for primer once I DA the the sheetmetal one more time. I've only primed one other car so this is still relatively new and fun for me (hopefully that will keep me motivated).

Couple of pics of the completed filler work.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/01/10 05:21 AM

One more exciting thing happened with the car this week. My AAR six pack hood showed up today.

I bolted it to the hinges and the gaps line up great! It may not even take any work/filler prior to priming (ahhh, probably a little because I'm picky).

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/01/10 05:24 AM

One last thing. I want to get this car done as soon as I can so any ribbing , teasing , etc you would like to do to keep me motivated is welcome

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/01/10 06:38 PM

Ok so then why are you sitting at the computer instead of working on the car, are we a little hung over today. Looking great!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/01/10 09:48 PM

It looks like all the hard work is done!

What's the hold up?

It's always gratifying once you get everything one color and get all of that *#$&^@ bodywork done.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/01/10 11:47 PM

Problem usually is you think the body work is done but it isn't until about 200 hours of sanding later.

Sheldon

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/01/10 11:57 PM

The car looks great.
I wish I had a garage like that to
work on mine in.

Attached picture 5704178-poster7579866(Small).jpg

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/02/10 05:22 AM

Thanks for the encouragment guys, I need it...

I just spent 8 1/2 hours out in the shop working on the car and it doesn't look any different . I spend the day DAing the bare metal and scotch briting all the nooks and crannys under the rockers, rear valence, cowl vents, etc. Also put seam sealer in the truck lip area.

Plans are to go out in the morning and blow it off, mask it and prime it. Is should be ready to go.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/02/10 05:24 AM

Quote:

The car looks great.
I wish I had a garage like that to
work on mine in.

Yeah, I'm pretty lucky to have a shop like this. I built it about 5 years ago and I will never be without another.
Posted By: redmay

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/02/10 05:52 PM

GET OFF your but & get to work if you want your car to look like mine

Attached picture 5705770-demon029.jpg
Posted By: steved033

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/03/10 12:55 AM

is that GY9 Tawny gold (aka Dark Gold Metallic?)?

My GTX is supposed to be that color...

sjd

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/03/10 04:45 PM

Yes it's gy9 Tawny gold original color ,car has 42500 original miles also

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/03/10 05:24 PM

Quote:

GET OFF your but & get to work if you want your car to look like mine

Beautiful car

I spent another 12 hours out in the shop yesterday. Got the car masked, wiped down and in primer. Time for a guide coat and to get going on blocksanding. Pics to come later today.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/05/10 04:45 AM

Couple of pics from last weekend. Boring to most I'm sure but it was fun for me.

Before...

...and after

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/05/10 02:56 PM

Wow, that's going to be a NICE car!
Posted By: jstewart

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/05/10 03:02 PM

my neighbors got a 71 demon 340 that they restoredin his one car garage.anyway great looking car man

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/07/10 04:18 AM

Applied the guide coat getting ready to start block sanding tomorrow. A friend of mine is going to come over and show me the ropes. Hopefully the guide coat it juuusstt right

My little helper came out to take over

Posted By: Mopargnome

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/08/10 02:31 AM

Sweet ride! I have done paint and body for alot of years and your choice of materials and guide coat are both good. Guide coat is a very useful tool to help get the car really straight. Good luck, dont lose motivation and keep us posted

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/08/10 05:39 PM

Van, wanna sell those twin scoops?

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/08/10 09:12 PM

Well, I would but I just happen to have a '69 Coronet 500 sitting in the corner with a flat hood

Sorry

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/09/10 03:09 AM

About four hours of block sanding got the Demon this far, not too bad...

One thing kind of bothers me though. I had a friend come over and help block sand (actually he did all of it). He needs some pocket money and I want to get this thing done so we worked on it last night. The reason I feel bad is I wanted to be able to say I did the complete car myself with no other help (at least paid help). One thing is that I can still say that I am the one that has spent 99% of the hours on the car.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/09/10 05:18 AM

The car is looking awesome! Not much longer now.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/09/10 07:44 PM

Van ,never turn down help if they know what they are doing.That's what friends do ,besides you can always repay the favor.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/09/10 08:27 PM

Quote:

Van ,never turn down help if they know what they are doing.That's what friends do ,besides you can always repay the favor.

After it's painted,you'll be glad you had your friend look it over.I'm doing the same thing with my Road Runner.
Posted By: jake71

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/09/10 08:28 PM

Quote:

Well, eight months and I'm ashamed to say I didn't get a darn thing done on the car until last weekend. I just plain lost interest and got busy doing other things but hopefully now I will get back on it.

Filler is complete (finally) and the car is ready for primer once I DA the the sheetmetal one more time. I've only primed one other car so this is still relatively new and fun for me (hopefully that will keep me motivated).

Couple of pics of the completed filler work.

The car is looking great! Don't be ashamed of having a life. You've gotten this far and it's not your day job. Keep it up, when you can, and it'll get done. It's not a race and you'll probably be sad when it's done 'cause-then what?

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/12/10 02:23 AM

OK, another 6 1/2 hours out in the shop yesterday for me and my friend. We finished blocking the entire body, sanded all of the edges and the new six-pack hood so the car is ready for its final coat of primer. It only needed filler in a few spots that were a little low.

The hood is a really nice piece, it blocked out without the need of any filler and the gaps are awesome .

No pics today of the progress today but I will post some by the weekend.

My plans to finish are:

Re-prime this weekend
Wetsand the trunk/motor compartment/jambs for color
Paint color in prepper areas
Install drivetrain
Wetsand exterior
Paint exterior
Cut & buff

Hope to be there in a month or two (a year late).

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/16/10 10:32 PM

One more step complete, the car is in its final stage of primer. Next step is to take doors and hood off and prep jams for color. I can feel it getting closer but I don't want to get cocky yet.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/18/10 02:30 AM

Lookin' Great!

I'll send you my Demon for you to do next....

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/25/10 12:56 AM

Not much progress but progress all the same. Took off the paper/tape and removed the doors and hood to start prepping the jambs for color.

I wasn't sure of the best way to do this so I ended up guide coating the engine compartment (just did this to make it easy to see where I had sanded enough, I'm not blocking the engine compartment) and started to hit it with the red scotchbrite. After I get done I will go back with 400 and wet sand the majority of it. What do you think of this plan? I've only broken through to DP in a handful of places, I assume this won't be an issue????

Took about three hours to get the firewall and one inner fender.

Posted By: jrwoodjoe

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/25/10 09:13 PM

Progress IS Progress and it looks like you're making some GOOD Progress.

Everything looks really good, nice to see the family getting involved too. Keep the pics coming.

Joe

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/26/10 12:31 AM

Thanks for the kind words.

My daughter likes to help but get bored pretty quickly. My wife comes out to bring me food or to say "hi" but that's about it. She supports me with cars 100% as long as she doesn't have to do any of the work
Posted By: SCATPACK 1

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/26/10 01:50 AM

I would kill to have a garage like that. lol

Seriously though, I hope you have not been talked into re-painting it baby poop brown. Not a fan of the brown colors... yuck, lol. Are you planning to paint it your self? Are you going with basecoat, clear coat?

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/26/10 02:06 AM

Quote:

I would kill to have a garage like that. lol

Seriously though, I hope you have not been talked into re-painting it baby poop brown. Not a fan of the brown colors... yuck, lol. Are you planning to paint it your self? Are you going with basecoat, clear coat?

A couple of people have tried to talk me into the brown but I just can't do it. I like bright colors on cars so am I thinking one of a hi-impact color (sassy grass). I know that some say it's too overdone but of all the Mopars in town I don't know of one that's Sassy Grass and I only know of two sublime cars so around here it won't be too bad. I was considering Panther Pink as well.

I do plan on painting it myself with my painter friend standing by my side so I can hand the gun off if I get in over my head. I plan on using PPG base/clear on it.

As for the shop, I really like it too. I kind of spoiled myself by building it. In fact, we moved just so I would have enough room to build it (we have .80 acres in the city limits). The three best things about it are the lift, the heat/air and the bathroom.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/29/10 03:46 AM

Sassy Grass and the Demon Sizzler hood treatment would look killer.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/22/10 01:46 AM

OK, I'm back at it (slow but sure).

I scotchbrited and wet sanded the engine compartment, doorjambs, and the bottom of the trunk lid. I have scotchbrited the inside of the doors which I need to wet sand. Then I need to prep the trunk and the bottom of the hood. Hoping I have about 6-8 hours left. Trying to get things setup to jamb the car this coming weekend or next.

Can I assume that the small patches of bare metal coming through are OK to put color over??? There's not too much but I wanted to check.

Not much to show but pics may motivate me...

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/22/10 01:50 AM

One more thing. I installed a gull wing I picked up from Dale's Cuda shop. Charlie over there has been great to work with.

I ended up drilling the holes too big (larger than stock) but it can't be seen when the wing is installed.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/22/10 04:59 AM

Bare metal and paint do not go well together, make sure all the bare metal is primed.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/22/10 05:25 AM

Thought about Curious Yellow?

In the shade it's green and in the sun it's yellow.

With black accents and maybe an A-body hood scoop it'd look killer!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/22/10 05:52 AM

I agree, GY3 Curious Yellow / Citron Yella is hard to beat

Attached picture 5822552-1971-Dodge-Demon-340.jpg

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/22/10 05:52 AM

But nothing wrong with FJ6 Sassy Grass/Go-Green either!

Attached picture 5822555-GreenDemon4(2).jpg

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/22/10 05:54 AM

And another favorite of mine, EV2 Hemi Orange/Tor Red shown here with the optional (but VERY expensive) hood oranament package.

Attached picture 5822557-DemonChick(2).jpg

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/22/10 07:20 PM

Fk5 FK5!!!

edit: I now realize FK5 wasn't available in 71

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/23/10 01:59 AM

My GTX is EK2, my daily driver is canary yellow (SOB) so that's why I was thinking Sassy Grass or Panther Pink. A friend just painted her car pather pink so I thought sublime or sassy grass were my only other choices for hi-impact (I may get flamed for this but I really don't like plum crazy).

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/23/10 02:00 AM

Quote:

And another favorite of mine, EV2 Hemi Orange/Tor Red shown here with the optional (but VERY expensive) hood oranament package.

That's one option I would pay extra for

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/23/10 02:02 AM

Quote:

Bare metal and paint do not go well together, make sure all the bare metal is primed.

I didn't want to hear that. My bare spots are far and few between and are no larger than .060" in diameter.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/23/10 03:20 AM

Just my .02 but I'd choose a color available in the 71 model year, niether Sublime or Panther Pink were optional after 1970. IMO some of the best ever were available then anyway. I've owned all of the above colors, the Curious Yellow seems to be most popular with the crowds followed closely by the Sassy Grass.

*Black looks great, my favorite actually, just as long as someone else has to keep it detailed
Posted By: Neil

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/23/10 03:44 AM

I have seen a curious yellow 340 demon with a black and silver interior and the color really works good with that bodystyle. It's also a light color so it should be easy to take care of.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/23/10 05:31 AM

Quote:

Just my .02 but I'd choose a color available in the 71 model year, niether Sublime or Panther Pink were optional after 1970. IMO some of the best ever were available then anyway. I've owned all of the above colors, the Curious Yellow seems to be most popular with the crowds followed closely by the Sassy Grass.

*Black looks great, my favorite actually, just as long as someone else has to keep it detailed

I was thinking triple black (I believe the body it straight enough) but I'm like you, I wouldn't want to keep it clean.

As for '71 colors, that's why I'm leaning towards Sassy Grass.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/23/10 05:33 AM

Quote:

I have seen a curious yellow 340 demon with a black and silver interior and the color really works good with that bodystyle. It's also a light color so it should be easy to take care of.

The yellow is a nice color but I drive a yellow car everyday and I was looking for something different.

Maybe I should paint it yellow and just sell the other car

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/23/10 06:04 AM

Here's my friends Demon, it's a #'s matching 4 speed car so he mothballed the #'s engine & trans for safe keeping and built this 510TQ x 525HP 422 W2 all iron pump gas engine for it. This is the day we installed it a few months back, this little sucker is a FUN street car!

Attached picture 5824733-71YellowDemon.jpg

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/23/10 06:05 AM

Plant

Attached picture 5824734-YellowDemon422W2Engine.jpg
Posted By: CuriousYella70

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/23/10 06:59 AM

Nice Demon Scott

Makes me wanna post pics of my curious yella lol

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/23/10 07:00 AM

Quote:

Nice Demon Scott

Makes me wanna post pics of my curious yella lol

Please do!!!!

You guys are going to end up making me change my mind if you don't stop...

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/23/10 08:37 AM

Here's another one owned by a board member, original 340 3 speed Curious Yellow car. I think it's the same car I originaly posted above.

Attached picture 5824816-CorrectYellow.jpg
Posted By: CuriousYella70

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/23/10 04:30 PM

I have to agree with Scott that nothing beats GY3 on a Duster or Demon - when the sun hits it, it just looks amazing!

Attached picture 5825156-70.jpg

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/23/10 05:16 PM

EL5 is hi-impact. Plus, butterscotch is freaking
Posted By: DartSportDude

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/23/10 07:48 PM

Quote:

I have to agree with Scott that nothing beats GY3 on a Duster or Demon - when the sun hits it, it just looks amazing!

I agree -- GY3 looks great -- it's second only to black!
Posted By: JRepucci

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/24/10 05:07 AM

How about GA4... Winchester Gray w/ the hood blackout and side stripes. Then do the interior in orange seats and door panels w/black dash and door frames. I have a 71 cuda' clone that I'm building and that is the color scheme that I'm going with.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/24/10 06:01 AM

Sounds interesting...

My '71 Satellite Sebring Plus is GA4 with black buckets.

It seems like every color you guys suggest is a color I already have. You guys are just doing this to torture me, right?
Posted By: Bull1tt

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/24/10 01:14 PM

Here is a friends Butterscotch Sizzler. I like the color. I'm helping out on this project, we have a bunch of pics on the FABO site. There are a bunch of pics to show guys how to remove eng/trans in the garage while the hood is still on. Entire 318 driveline pulled and swapped into a /6 Duster.
For A Bodies Only Mopar Forum > Automotive Technical Forums > Big Block A body Tech > 1971 Dodge Demon Hemi install

And to get back on topic, butterscotch gets my vote for color!

Attached picture 5827005-100_28.jpg

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/24/10 07:29 PM

You could always paint it rallye red or white. I can't recall seeing a demon in those two colors in a long time.

Red with white stripes down the sides would look nifty. White is kinda plain, but you could put a blue, red, or orange stripe kit on it to make it stand out.
Posted By: 79machocharger

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 02/24/10 07:49 PM

I've always liked the picture of this blue one

Attached picture 5827609-IMG_3344JPG.jpg

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/05/10 06:33 AM

Well, went and picked up a gallon of PPG DBC base and a gallon of clear along with the required reducer, hardener. Also picked a quart of Omni black base coat for the interior doors, etc.

$820.00

The gallon of color was $325.00

I hope to paint the jambs Saturday.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/06/10 01:52 AM

I'm to lazy to read the other post but what color did you pick?

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/06/10 02:57 AM

I think he was leaning towards sassy grass . I guess we get to wait and see.
Posted By: BEEQUIK

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/06/10 12:03 PM

Quote:

Well, went and picked up a gallon of PPG DBC base and a gallon of clear along with the required reducer, hardener. Also picked a quart of Omni black base coat for the interior doors, etc.

$820.00

If you are using DBC I would think you will need more than a gallon to do the entire car. IIRC that is mixed 1 to 1 on the base and you have a lot of area to cover. If you are doing engine bay and trunk I think you may be needing another couple qts. I can't wait to see what color you picked as I too have a demon and love that sweet rust free body you are working with. Mine is just a twinkle in my eye right now but soon,soon...

Attached picture 5848221-DSC00962.JPG

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/07/10 03:59 AM

OK, here it is....What do you think of the color choice?

No real surprise but I really like it.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/07/10 04:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

$820.00

If you are using DBC I would think you will need more than a gallon to do the entire car. IIRC that is mixed 1 to 1 on the base and you have a lot of area to cover. If you are doing engine bay and trunk I think you may be needing another couple qts. I can't wait to see what color you picked as I too have a demon and love that sweet rust free body you are working with. Mine is just a twinkle in my eye right now but soon,soon...

We painted the GTX with just over a gallon so I am hoping we're OK with a gallon for the Demon. My friend who is doing the painting has some already mixed at home from an older project. We may use some of the that for the first coat of base to make sure we have enough. We still have about 2 1/2 quarts of color left after jambing it.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/07/10 04:27 AM

Looks good!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/07/10 04:44 AM

Looks good but sorry dude ya lost me when you went green.
Posted By: myidwastook

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/07/10 05:34 AM

Looking fantastic brother! I just bought a Petty Blue 72 340 Demon from a Moparts member last year. I want to go Plum Crazy but people don't really like the idea of changing the color. That's a few months away anyways, right now it's getting mini tubbed, metal work, new interior. next will be a roller w2 340 mill, then I'll worry about the color. Short story long, it's looking good brother and your inspiring all of us to do ours right! Thank you!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/07/10 06:09 AM

Quote:

Looks good but sorry dude ya lost me when you went green.

Yeah, I hear ya. It's not for everyone.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/07/10 06:12 AM

Quote:

Looking fantastic brother! I just bought a Petty Blue 72 340 Demon from a Moparts member last year. I want to go Plum Crazy but people don't really like the idea of changing the color. That's a few months away anyways, right now it's getting mini tubbed, metal work, new interior. next will be a roller w2 340 mill, then I'll worry about the color. Short story long, it's looking good brother and your inspiring all of us to do ours right! Thank you!

Some folks thought I shouldn't change color too but mine was brown (pretty easy to change THAT color). I like plum crazy but I really like the petty blue too. What ever makes you happy.

Thanks for the kind words!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/07/10 12:23 PM

Quote:

OK, here it is....What do you think of the color choice?

No real surprise but I really like it.

Awesome another car goes to the green side! No offense to anyone who likes curious yellow but it's the ugliest color ever put on a mopar.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/07/10 02:51 PM

That color looks killer.I still think the Demon Sizzler hood treatment would look great,even with the 6pak hood.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/07/10 06:45 PM

FJ6 is one of my favorite colours and it looks great on a Demon, good choice.

Sheldon
Posted By: JAAK

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/08/10 12:32 AM

VITC GTX,

I haven't posted here any, but have been watching this build since you started. Im also doing my own body/paint, etc and enjoyed following your thread. Just wanted to say your car is looking fantastic! Im hoping to get me an A-body to work on after the Chargers.

BTW....I'm a huge fan of FJ6! Here is a pic of the engine compartment of my 69 R/T.........

Keep up the great work,
Jason

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/08/10 02:41 AM

Jason-

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it.

Your car looks great, thanks for sharing.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/08/10 03:26 AM

Awesome!

Not the color I would have chosen but it's not my car!

It will be an amazingly straight and clean car after you get it finished.
Posted By: SCATPACK 1

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/10/10 04:02 PM

That looks like JOHN DEERE GREEN

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/11/10 04:13 AM

OK, this may not look like a '71 Demon but it is part of the '71 Demon build.

Long story short: Demon was my race car, after I tore it down I wanted to race last year so I bought this Scamp swapped the suspension/K-member/tranny/motor/rear in to it from the Demon and raced it. I bought the car just to race as it was a cheap car that I plan on parting after I'm done with it (vultures already circling the house).

So now that the Demon has a painted motor compartment it's time to put the drive train back in. Took me 4 hours total (with many breaks) to get the drive train out. Will install in the Demon this weekend after I rebuild the suspension...and dust it off

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/11/10 04:17 AM

Quote:

Awesome!

Not the color I would have chosen but it's not my car!

It will be an amazingly straight and clean car after you get it finished.

You don't know how close you, and a few others, came into convincing me to paint it GY3 I like the GY3 color a lot, it looks great on an A body.

I think I like the Sassy Grass just because it's a little more annoying

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/11/10 05:19 PM

You've laid the groundwork to where if you get bored with Sassy Grass you can always just scuff and re-shoot Curious Yellow!

My '63 330 was a teal color that my wife (and others) really liked. Too bad! It's going back black with red interior. I did it the way I wanted it.

Once you get some black on there (spoiler, stripes, etc.) to break up the green it'll be great.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/15/10 03:11 AM

Well, this weekend I rebuilt the front suspension with all new bushing/ball joints/tie rods. I also installed the 8 3/4" with 3.91 clutch suregrip. No pics yet but I'll put up a couple in a day or so. Next is to install motor/tranny, that should be done by the end of the week.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/17/10 03:17 AM

OK, not much but at least it's progress.

After installing new bushing/ball joints I painted the front suspension. I just used POR15 because it's what I had and I thought it should bond pretty well to the parts once I cleaned and degreased them. Hopefully it will take the heat of the brakes, if not I can't see it anyway

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/17/10 03:20 AM

Also welded a couple of patches on the headers. I hit a dip in the road last year but it didn't go all the way through, just a flat spot that I could tell was thin. I cut a couple of metal patches, formed them and welded them over the thin areas. Doesn't look the best but I can handle knowing that it's there...now I have skid plates as well

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/17/10 07:19 PM

Looking nice van. Car looks fantastic...I'm "green with envy".

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/18/10 05:21 PM

That looks great!

The Scamp looks to good to part out, just my

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/18/10 11:09 PM

Quote:

Looking nice van. Car looks fantastic...I'm "green with envy".

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/18/10 11:13 PM

Quote:

That looks great!

Thanks!

The Scamp does look nice but it's not perfect and I don't have a use for it. Remember, out here these cars are pretty cheap and usually have little rust. I know one of these days there won't be any more around but right now they're pretty easy to find.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/19/10 01:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That looks great!

Thanks!

The Scamp does look nice but it's not perfect and I don't have a use for it. Remember, out here these cars are pretty cheap and usually have little rust. I know one of these days there won't be any more around but right now they're pretty easy to find.

Well if it's gotta be parted out, it will go to save another Scamp When that time comes to part it- hit me up

I hope the gas cap I sold you is as shiny as the car It really looks good

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/19/10 03:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That looks great!

Thanks!

Well if it's gotta be parted out, it will go to save another Scamp When that time comes to part it- hit me up

I hope the gas cap I sold you is as shiny as the car It really looks good

You read my mind...I was out in the shop tonight and thought to myself "Dang that gas cap looks good!"

There is a very young girl (16 or 17) in our local Mopar club with a Scamp as her daily driver and it needs some parts. I will try and help her out when the time comes.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/19/10 03:47 AM

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program...

Went out tonight and installed the windshield wiper motor and brake setup. It feels pretty good to actually put parts ON the car for a change.

Next came the motor and tranny. I love putting them in from the bottom, especially with a lift. Took about 20 minutes to have it completely bolted in.

And before you say anything, I know the motor is dusty. I'll take care of that later.

One bit of bad news…after months of pushing this car around the shop on dollies I finally hit the front fender on the lift post and put a ding in the front fender . At least I was smart enough to do this work before I sanding and painted the exterior.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/19/10 04:24 AM

Hey...did you know the motor is a little dusty.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/19/10 04:29 AM

Quote:

Hey...did you know the motor is a little dusty.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/19/10 05:19 PM

"Look out for that post...."

I know how you feel. Even though my car is in primer I swung a jack stand around the other day and happened to hit the car and put a ding near the rear taillight!

I said a few choice words!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/20/10 02:53 AM

Quote:

"Look out for that post...."

I know how you feel. Even though my car is in primer I swung a jack stand around the other day and happened to hit the car and put a ding near the rear taillight!

I said a few choice words!

Ouch! I feel your pain

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/20/10 02:58 AM

Did a little more work today. It's not much but it's progress. I have found that I am a lot more motivated doing the mechanical portion as compared to the bodywork/sanding. I hated doing that.

Anyway, new 1" Firm Feel torsion bars installed (hopefully the correct way). They were marked left and right but no front to back so they must go either way...

Also installed the front suspension. Looks kind of bad putting painted parts on the ugly under carriage but I guess you have to stop somewhere.

Tomorrow I plan on completing the front end and making a roller out of the car. In fact, after brakes I just need wiring to fire it up again.

Posted By: JonsGottaDusta

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/20/10 04:32 AM

Lookin' good!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/23/10 01:28 AM

More progress today thanks to my painter friend. He's doing the vast majority of the prep for paint work (block, wet sanding). The hood, top and trunk lid are wet sanded and ready to go. We lined up the trunk and doors and the gaps look really good. I also put new rotors/bearings/seals under the front end last weekend.

Oh yeah, fixed the dent I put in the fender last weekend too. I feel much better now

Looks like paint will be in three weeks. I'll be driving to Disney Land with the family next Monday for a week and a half

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/25/10 02:19 AM

The wet sanding with 600 is complete

I'll get some pics later this week that show the car ready for color!!!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/27/10 01:33 AM

Quote:

we're waiting

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/27/10 03:27 AM

OK, hear are a couple of pics showing the brakes being finished off.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/27/10 03:30 AM

Here are a couple showing the complete wet sanding. Actually we still have to do the wheel lips and the front valance but the hard part is done.

We also lined up the doors and trunk lid and the gaps look pretty good. Body lines tuned out nice too but there wasn't a whole lot of body work on this car so that helped.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 03/27/10 11:52 PM

Posted By: Spode

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/02/10 04:15 AM

nice project

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/02/10 04:24 AM

One good thing about FJ6/GY3/FY1/WW1, etc.

If you missed a spot the non metallic bright colors make your problems seem much less obvious from a few feet away.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/03/10 05:22 PM

Great job, looks killer. I like the Green! I agree that you should try to replicate the sizzler blackout paint on your hood. Heres a pic for inspiration. Seeing your car all painted makes me feel guilty for not getting my car done! Keep up the great work!

Attached picture 5905277-sizzler.jpg

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/05/10 12:18 AM

Quote:

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/08/10 04:19 AM

Quote:

Great job, looks killer. I like the Green! I agree that you should try to replicate the sizzler blackout paint on your hood. Heres a pic for inspiration. Seeing your car all painted makes me feel guilty for not getting my car done! Keep up the great work!

This looks good, I was thinking of the Sizzler paint scheme but wasn't sold on the idea. Here is another thought I had...paint the hood with the two large Demon stripes (like the two hood scoop cars) but paint around the sixpack hood scoop. This would leave the scoop body color with the two stripes on the hood. So, what do you think

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/08/10 04:39 AM

I'd have to say that painting it like that would make the scoop really stand out... if thats what you want? If you're going to do it that way, make sure to replicate the blackout stripe look with a 1/4 stripe around the larger areas. You can always get a roll of 1/4" wide tape and experiment with ideas before you paint it.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/09/10 02:21 AM

Sizzler...

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/10/10 06:41 PM

I'd go with the Sizzler striping, I'd paint right over the 6 pack scoop like it wasn't even there, sometimes a subtle blend is better than something to make it stand out, especially on a mostly stock looking car. You don't want that scoop to stick out like a sore thumb, you want it to complete a total "look".....and don't forget the body color grille!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/12/10 12:17 AM

You guys are talking me into the Sizzler paint scheme. I was planing on having the grill stock color, black/silver, not body color. I thought the car will have enough green already without adding to it.

Cleaned the heater box and replaced the heater core today. I'll post pics later this week. Car is scheduled for paint next weekend.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/17/10 03:18 AM

I washed the entire car and will be putting it on the trailer tomorrow morning at 0700 to take to the paint booth. I'll post some pics tomorrow evening...
Posted By: 88_mopar

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/17/10 09:04 AM

Well I hope I'm not too late in saying this, but ppg recommends that base coat should be applied over DP within 7 days of being sprayed. Meaning, after you spray DP, you have a 7 day window to apply base. If you are passed your 7 day window, it's recommended that you apply another coat of dp before paint. Not sure if you knew this but dp is also a sealer. When mixed 2:1 (dp:402 or 401) it's a primer sealer, when mixed 4:2:1 (dp:402 or 401: reducer) it's considered a sealer. The reducer helps with flow and it lays on very smooth.
So I would suggest before you spray base, spray one more coat of reduced dp. You shouldn't have to sand it if applied properly and it'll cover those small bare metal spots you mentioned.
Also ppg says you only have 24 hours after applying basecoat to apply clearcoat, assuming you're using the deltron line.
Could you get by without another coat of dp, yea probably. But if I were you i wouldn't chance it.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/17/10 09:58 AM

Quote:

You guys are talking me into the Sizzler paint scheme. I was planing on having the grill stock color, black/silver, not body color. I thought the car will have enough green already without adding to it.

Cleaned the heater box and replaced the heater core today. I'll post pics later this week. Car is scheduled for paint next weekend.

That's how I would paint it..leave the grill stock,but use the Sizzler hood treatment

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/18/10 12:24 AM

OK, it's finally in color. I took it over to the paint booth this morning. Seemed to turn out nice. My friend painted it and he was very happy with the results, so am I. I go back tomorrow morning to pick it up and bring it home. The wet sanding will probably start Monday or Tuesday.

Getting ready to go into the booth.

In the booth masked up.

Three hours later...

That is A LOT of green!!!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/18/10 12:57 AM

WoooooooooooHooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

That looks great!

Jason

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/18/10 01:25 AM

NICE! Can't wait to see the Sizzler Striping! You should seriously consider painting the grill as well to complete the Sizzler look, it would look killer!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/18/10 03:56 AM

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/18/10 05:35 PM

Looks great!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/19/10 01:09 AM

I went and picked up the car this morning. Dropped it off at home and went rattlesnake hunting for the afternoon (the weather was just right!). I just got back and took the car off the trailer and put it in the shop. The paint came out great. It layed pretty flat and shouldn't be to difficult to cut and buff. My friend is going to come over tomorrow and start on it.

Enjoy...

Coming out of the booth.

Finally home on the trailer.

Back in the shop.

Paint layed down pretty nicely.

Posted By: OzHemi

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/19/10 01:42 AM

Looks awesome!
Posted By: 71Polara383

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/19/10 03:26 AM

Looks Amazing. Wanna do mine next???

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/19/10 05:06 AM

I don't think you want me doing your car. I did all the tear down, metal work and most of the filler work but my friend did the block sanding and painting, he's really good at it. I'm not sure you would want me

Also, I was planning on being at this stage within 6 months...it's taken me 16 months

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/19/10 12:10 PM

Quote:

I don't think you want me doing your car. I did all the tear down, metal work and most of the filler work but my friend did the block sanding and painting, he's really good at it. I'm not sure you would want me

Also, I was planning on being at this stage within 6 months...it's taken me 16 months

Give yourself credit you took the car a part and built a racecar and raced during that time also.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/19/10 12:20 PM

Looks really good! Looking forward to reassembly now.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/19/10 03:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Give yourself credit you took the car a part and built a racecar and raced during that time also.

Thanks for the pick-me-up

I have been a little busy lately

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/19/10 03:30 PM

Quote:

Looks really good! Looking forward to reassembly now.

Thanks.

I am looking forward to this car being done!!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/19/10 03:38 PM

Van! I didn't realize you were in the tri-cities area. I was in Herpes-ton, OR for a research project back in March. If I get up that way again, I will let you know. I'd love to see this thing!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/20/10 01:00 AM

Quote:

Van! I didn't realize you were in the tri-cities area. I was in Herpes-ton, OR for a research project back in March. If I get up that way again, I will let you know. I'd love to see this thing!

Boy, you were close. I'm about 35-40 minutes from Hermiston (~40 miles). I go down there every few weeks for pizza, they have a neat little pizza place there. Let me know when you're up here again and well get together!!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/20/10 02:46 AM

My friend cut the entire car and buffed the top of the car and trunk lid. Looks really good.

Maybe able to finish buffing tomorrow.

Also, the stripes from Phoenix Graphics should show up tomorrow so those will go on in the next couple of days.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/20/10 02:47 AM

where is the pizza place? We only found the Pizza Hut there and they were almost too nice I expect I'll have to be up there in the next couple months at least one more time.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/20/10 02:51 AM

Stripped the dash a part (yes, I left the VIN there). Going to do a color change on the interior to black so I need to paint the frame. I've heard a few here say they like SEM Trim Black so I am going to try that. I sprayed the ashtray and it seems to lay down well and the finish looks pretty close to the original. I don't need perfection but I don't want it to WAY off either. We'll see...

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/21/10 12:25 AM

The car looks awesome!! I've been keeping up with this thread as I have a 71 Demon and it needs paint....maybe you'd move to Florida

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/22/10 03:24 AM

Quote:

The car looks awesome!! I've been keeping up with this thread as I have a 71 Demon and it needs paint....maybe you'd move to Florida

Remember, I stripped the car, did the metal work, applied most of the filler and primed the car but my painter friend did the block sanding and painting. I think you want him to move to FL

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/22/10 04:02 AM

OK, yesterday my painter finished cutting and buffing the car. Looks really straight and smooth. Here are a few pics of the sides of the car and one of the front.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 04/22/10 04:06 AM

Stripes went on today. Still need to paint the hood blackout between the stripes on the hood and cowl. That should be done tomorrow.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/22/10 05:00 AM

Quote:

where is the pizza place? We only found the Pizza Hut there and they were almost too nice I expect I'll have to be up there in the next couple months at least one more time.

It's called the Ye Olde Pizza Shoppe. It's right across from Les Schwabs (just down the street from the school). Next time you're in the area I'll buy the pizza
Posted By: JS29R0B

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/22/10 12:35 PM

AWESOME

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/22/10 05:10 PM

Ohh mama! Those stripes really make it pop! Looking really good so far, keep it up!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/22/10 06:39 PM

No go-wing on the trunk?

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/22/10 09:20 PM

I dunno, I'm thinking I liked it brown better....

Not really.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/23/10 03:10 AM

Quote:

No go-wing on the trunk?

Ask and ye shall receive...

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/23/10 03:13 AM

OK, FINALLY!!! Everything is painted, buffed, etc. Now comes the fun part...putting it all back together.

Here is the hood with the blackout complete. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it or not but it's growing on me.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/23/10 03:17 AM

Quote:

Ohh mama! Those stripes really make it pop! Looking really good so far, keep it up!

EVERYONE: Kudos to NV69B7RR (Brent) he really stepped up and helped me out on the Sizzler hood paint. I needed measurements for the hood stripes on a short turnaround and he sent me everything I needed (including pictures) in a matter of minutes!!! Thanks Brent

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/23/10 03:19 AM

Quote:

I dunno, I'm thinking I liked it brown better....

Oh man, you're killing me

Don't you mean Currious Yellow

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/23/10 05:10 AM

That Sizzler hood blackout really sets off the six pack scoop, it almost looks like a factory design, (but I'm still plugging for the green grill ).

Anyway, way cool! Nice job

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/23/10 05:08 PM

I agree Scott. The Hood stripes do make the scoop blend more factory like. I like it when the stripes "pop" like that also. Really coming along nicely. Still wondering what it would look like with a green grille as Scott mentioned? Hmmm.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/24/10 03:00 AM

The stripes and hood blackout, look great on sassy-grass!

Jason

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/25/10 06:17 AM

It really looks great!!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/25/10 03:45 PM

Quote:

That Sizzler hood blackout really sets off the six pack scoop, it almost looks like a factory design, (but I'm still plugging for the green grill ).

Green grill! Green grill! Green grill! Green grill!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/26/10 03:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Green grill! Green grill! Green grill! Green grill!

Wow, say that five time fast

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/26/10 03:43 AM

Didn't get much time to work on the car this weekend, only a few hours tonight. Painted the dash frame (I hate painting, even with a rattle can), installed the heater box, wiper pivot seals, headlight harness and headlight buckets, taillights, rear light harness and marker lights. Small steps I guess...

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/28/10 02:39 AM

Frustration has set in. I was trying to get the car ready for the car show in town on May 10th but I don't think I'm going to make it. That's not the frustrating part though. I've been spending a few hours a night out there working on it and have made some progress until tonight. I've been fighting the dash frame and dash trim parts. Painting is not my strength. I can't paint a paper plate with flat black rattle can without runs, thin spots, fish eyes, etc . I've painted the jockey box door 8 times and still can't get it right. I sand it and try again with the same results. I believe I will sand the entire dash frame and trim parts and start over from stratch. I'm not sure that once I'm done it will last. I'm using SEM Trim Black in a rattle can. Anyway, I scuffed with red scotchbright, wetsanded with 600, washed with dishsoap and water, used wax and grease remover and then a tack cloth and it still fish eyes

Sorry for the long incoherant rant. Just hate going backwards 6-8 hours....

On a positive note, I have the trunk lock installed with the bezel polished and I have one door latch assembly in and adjusted, not much but it's all I can hang my hat on today.
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 04/28/10 03:02 AM

The fish eyes are coming from the last 39 years of Armor All on the dash. There's some new stuff to mix in paint to keep it from fish eye'n, but I don't know what it's called. You would have to get the paint mixed and spray it from a gun to use it. When I changed colors on my old 84 D350 pickup, I painted the inside of the cab. It didn't fish eye at all. It WHALE EYED!! I know your pain! Good luck.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 05/01/10 03:40 AM

Thanks for the encouragement. I finally got it to work OK. Hopefully the paint lasts!! I used SEM Trim Black but I guess only time will tell.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 05/01/10 03:52 AM

Try not to let that get you down, it could have been on the body and not the dash! Glad to help, the stripes look great! Are you going to paint the grille green or silver???

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 05/01/10 03:53 AM

Took the day off work today and actually spent 9 hours working on the car. I got a lot done but you can only see a little progress

I assembled the dash (frame, wiring, pad, jockey box, radio, heater controls, aftermarket gauges) and got it into the car. No stock gauge cluster yet, I need to clean it up still. I installed the radiator and tranny cooler plus all the cars stock wiring (minus steering column). I still have to wire the line lock and electric fans though. I installed the door strikers and latches and put the door handles on. I also polished up the rear bumper (decided not to rechrome the original) and got it on. Put the gull wing on it too. The back three feet of the car is offically done. I recovered the bottom of the back seat with Legendary covers but didn't get the top of the back seat done. The front buckets are done too (I took them in to town and they put on the new foam and covers from Legandary). Tomorrow I plan on finishing up the dash and wiring and painting the grill (and maybe installing it). Maybe some other small things as well, but I’m just shooting for the dash and grill tomorrow (little secret, it’s my B-day tomorrow so I plan on having some fun too).

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 05/02/10 03:59 AM

Installed the antennae bezel, left side mirror, door glass, front valance, front bumper and painted/installed the grill. That took over eight hours. Most of that time was cleaning, polishing and/or taping and painting.

Starting to look like a car again.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 05/02/10 04:02 AM

Happy B day!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 05/02/10 05:09 AM

Quote:

Happy B day!

Thank you very much.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 05/03/10 03:22 AM

Today I put in the gauge cluster and replaced the headlight switch. I also hooked up everything under the dash (heater cables, wires, emergency brake, etc). Installed the window trim clips.

The car was a column shift but now has a floor shifter. Took a part the 4-spd column I had and painted it. Also took the ignition out of the old column and put it in the 4-spd column so the door key would match the ignition. Painted/dyed the original wheel and horn cap. Will install tomorrow. Also, will be installing the headliner tomorrow. After that I will be able to install the interior.

No pictures yet.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 05/04/10 01:02 AM

What did you use to paint the grille?? And what paint??

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 05/04/10 05:43 AM

Hey, I'll make you a deal......

You paint that grille Sassy Grass like an original Sizzler and if in the end you are not happy with it I'll trade you straight up for a MINT silver grille that I have, original paint, no repairs, no cracks, no nothing!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 05/04/10 05:44 AM

Quote:

What did you use to paint the grille?? And what paint??

Totally Auto silver grill paint in a rattle can. I was going to paint the black as well but I didn't. The grill has no broken parts and the black it still OK so I just painted the silver since it was stained/chipped.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 05/04/10 05:46 AM

Quote:

Hey, I'll make you a deal......

You paint that grille Sassy Grass like an original Sizzler and if in the end you are not happy with it I'll trade you straight up for a MINT silver grille that I have, original paint, no repairs, no cracks, no nothing!

Wow, you must really like the Sizzler grill. Tempting...

Re: '71 Demon Project Build (Now in color!!) - 05/04/10 05:49 AM

Put the steering column in this afternoon. I dyed the wheel and horn cap yesterday and it turned out pretty nice. I will put them on tomorrow. I didn't get the headliner in today but plan on tomorrow. Pics to come.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 05/05/10 05:12 AM

Car now has a headliner. Interior is next. Car is running and exterior is complete (minus windshield/rear window). Glass to be installed Thursday, I have an appointment at the local glass installer. I should be able to drive the car down there
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 05/05/10 11:55 AM

No blackout treatment behind the grill?

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 05/05/10 02:24 PM

Quote:

No blackout treatment behind the grill?

May seem silly but I just couldn't bring myself to spray over the nice shiny paint

I'm trying to get the car done for a car show on Saturday so I'm not spending the time doing some things like this (I'm sure I'll regret it). I will probably drop the valance and do it later.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 05/29/10 01:53 AM

What's the latest?? post New pics too please!!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 06/05/10 02:56 AM

Did you make it to the show? I'd imagine you took a few weeks off after thrashing on it to get it done.
Posted By: MoparMedley

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 06/10/10 02:31 AM

Hey Van, where you been? It's been a month since you've been on the forums and I'm starting to worry about you.

Hope everything is okay.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/29/10 03:46 AM

Hey everyone. It's been about 6 months since I've been on the Moparts (once or twice is it). I apologize for not following through with this thread. I know a lot of you really helped me get this car where it's at today and you deserved to see it through as much as I did.

Six months in a nutshell...I did get the car done in time for the car show, it did win an trophy (second or third, can't remember). It's still not 100% done, but they're never done, right? I have only diven it a handful of times since May. Not because it's not road worthy but because I was just plain tired of working on, looking at, and spending money on cars. That's why the long time away from the board. In fact, I haven't even taken a picture of the car since it's been "done". My wife has driven it to work more than I have. I'm just starting to get back in to the swing of things now (of course we have a foot of snow so no driving).

Again, sorry for not following through and letting your guys know how important your contributions were. I couldn't have done it with out your information and support.

I will get a picture of it and post it soon.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/29/10 05:24 AM

Good to see you post again.

Joe

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 11/29/10 05:37 AM

Now we can sleep again.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/29/11 01:53 AM

Still don't have a good pictures of the car so I went out today and snapped a few. Lousy pictures but with this I think I can finally put this thread to rest.

Thanks all for the help and encouragment.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/29/11 04:05 AM

Looks really awesome and congrats on the completion.

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/29/11 06:09 PM

Awesome!

Re: '71 Demon Project Build - 01/30/11 01:28 AM

Time to that thing. Turned out nice Van!
© 2024 Moparts Forums