Moparts

so the ""1st hemi cuda"'

Posted By: theraif

so the ""1st hemi cuda"' - 05/10/23 02:14 PM

listing price for this car is $2,200,000 historical significance. Plus, the dealer claims the 17,755 miles showing on the odometer are correct. What’s more, this vehicle is unrestored, only going through one repaint in the original factory color. To back up its claims, the dealer is offering Chrysler Registry Documentation and Galen Govier Certification. >>>> https://autos.yahoo.com/first-1970-plymouth-hemi-cuda-190048974.html
https://motorvault.com/current-offerings-1
Posted By: bobby66

Re: so the ""1st hemi cuda"' - 05/10/23 03:33 PM

Should be in a museum somewhere.... twocents
Posted By: 2fast4yourBrain

Re: so the ""1st hemi cuda"' - 05/10/23 04:58 PM

$2.2M is nuts. That's Hemi 'vert (for 1970) territory.

$2.2M will buy you a rare Ferrari or MB Gullwing.
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: so the ""1st hemi cuda"' - 05/10/23 05:06 PM

I find this line hilarious
What’s more, this vehicle is unrestored, only going through one repaint in the original factory color.
laugh2

So it doesn't fall into the Survivor category since it been repainted.
Posted By: A12

Re: so the ""1st hemi cuda"' - 05/10/23 05:37 PM

This bugs me when I see a car that is "supposed" to bring high bucks at a high end auction and they can't find a correct reproduction battery or in this case something as simple as a correct radiator cap, probably has all the wrong hose clamps, hoses and belts. Simple things for the next owner but why?? Why are the hood hinges black is there a story there too? Makes me think there's other hidden things to the car's story that are not right? Just saying.

Attached picture 1bb56b8433a44529d827b2808d4aac4d.jpg
Posted By: EV2DEMON

Re: so the ""1st hemi cuda"' - 05/10/23 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by bobby66

It is, at least last I saw it. It was in the National Car and Truck Museum in Auburn IN. May still be there. It's also been for sale at an ever increasing ridiculous price for about 25 years.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: so the ""1st hemi cuda"' - 05/10/23 06:01 PM

A12 is exactly right. Small things don’t add up to 2.2 million. You want to set pricing records, you better bring all the goodies to the table. Makes you question the car as a whole too.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: so the ""1st hemi cuda"' - 05/10/23 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
A12 is exactly right. Small things don’t add up to 2.2 million. You want to set pricing records, you better bring all the goodies to the table. Makes you question the car as a whole too.

Wasn't this a race car early in its life? Early production or not, way, WAY too much wrong with it for that kinda coin.

Does this look like a 2.2 million dollar paint job?

Attached picture cuda.JPG
Posted By: RROD

Re: so the ""1st hemi cuda"' - 05/10/23 11:35 PM

The claim of having one repaint job in the original color takes it out of the “unrestored “ category. For that type of money it should be flawless.
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: so the ""1st hemi cuda"' - 05/11/23 12:12 AM

Depending on when and how a car was painted could still make it a ‘ survivor’ car.
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: so the ""1st hemi cuda"' - 05/11/23 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by migsBIG
Depending on when and how a car was painted could still make it a ‘ survivor’ car.

Please elaborate here. I could agree if there was a repair made with the same shade/type of paint, but the vehicle has been repainted. Its no longer a survivor.
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: so the ""1st hemi cuda"' - 05/11/23 03:03 AM

Dealership repaint, race car paint, original owner painted the car. As long as it’s not been blown apart for paint and everything else is untouched to some level, then it can qualify as a survivor. Changed to a new battery? Not a survivor. Licenseplate are the wrong state from where it was bought? Not a survivor. Tires were swapped for Mag wheels on first day of ownership? Not a survivor. A term loosely used for a large amount of vehicles conditions from many years and or era’s. We used to go by a percentage of how much of a car could be ‘survivor’, but over the last 20-30 years of the hobby being infiltrated by novice and hopeful owners has limited the original meaning of what a ‘survivor’ was.

And to clarify, that Cuda does meet some aspects of being a survivor, but will never see that price to buy it.
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: so the ""1st hemi cuda"' - 05/11/23 03:33 AM

I didn't go through the 90+ pictures on the website... but just looking briefly at the pictures A12 and John posted, the many problems this car has, proves (to me anyway) that this car isn't a survivor. That shaker bubble looks way too glossy for an original factory line installed part. Bottom line, if I had 2 plus million, and went looking for a low mile "survivor" vehicle ... I would pass on this car. twocents
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: so the ""1st hemi cuda"' - 05/11/23 04:05 AM

If a car has had a full repaint at any point, it’s not a survivor. End of discussion.
Posted By: McCandlessboy

Re: so the ""1st hemi cuda"' - 05/11/23 10:58 AM

A radiator cap isn't preventing it from being sold.
Posted By: moparphilll

Re: so the ""1st hemi cuda"' - 05/11/23 12:20 PM

The repaint, the radiator cap, or anything else on that car are irrelevant to the Fact that it is all Bragging rights and who has the $ to own them when you get into that kind of Money. It get a lot of air time attention at shows and in some magazines. that give the new owner chest puffing time.
""1st hemi cuda"'""1st hemi cuda"'""1st hemi cuda"'""1st hemi cuda"'""1st hemi cuda"'
Posted By: moparply

Re: so the ""1st hemi cuda"' - 05/11/23 02:43 PM

The ad didn't say the car was a Survivor car. That is what others have posted the ad says.

The ad said "unrestored" car with "one repaint".

There is a difference in those 2 classifications of cars.
Posted By: 69B71E10LC

Re: so the ""1st hemi cuda"' - 05/11/23 05:02 PM

So many years ago this car was in a small museum by the Auburn Cord museum. It was sitting under a roof with other cars but no heat or air. There was a typed out sheet of paper on the dash stating it was the first Hemi Cuda built. Then a few years later we went back and it had a for sale sign for like $50,000, boy times have changed.
I think I took a picture of it back then, I’ll see if I can find it. If I remember correctly it was a decent car.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: so the ""1st hemi cuda"' - 05/11/23 07:00 PM

That car has been for sale ...FOR YEARS... and always way way over the current market
Posted By: fc7_plumcrazy

Re: so the ""1st hemi cuda"' - 05/11/23 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by EV2DEMON

It is, at least last I saw it. It was in the National Car and Truck Museum in Auburn IN. May still be there. It's also been for sale at an ever increasing ridiculous price for about 25 years.

I saw it there, too back in 1999.
I think it was at least there till lately

Carsten
Posted By: dk426

Re: so the ""1st hemi cuda"' - 05/13/23 11:54 AM

it being a 70 also should it not have a argent shaker instead of gloss black
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: so the ""1st hemi cuda"' - 05/13/23 08:07 PM

Am I the only one who is absolutely not interested in this vehicle? So many more 'Cudas more interesting than this.
Posted By: Vert

Re: so the ""1st hemi cuda"' - 05/14/23 01:12 AM

Wasn't the 1st hemi cuda prior to 1970 ie 68 model maybe...
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: so the ""1st hemi cuda"' - 05/14/23 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by EV2DEMON

Yep, when I first saw in back in the early 90's in Auburn it was only $1 million...LOL..
© 2024 Moparts Forums