Moparts

1937 Terraplane, anyone?

Posted By: dogdays

1937 Terraplane, anyone? - 07/27/11 04:31 PM

One of the pieces of rusty scrap metal sitting on the farm is a nearly complete 1937 Terraplane 2-door flatback sedan. Looks like a 5/4 scale PTCruiser.
Anyone ever do one of those?

R.
Posted By: rrbrucea

Re: 1937 Terraplane, anyone? - 07/27/11 04:50 PM

A quick google turned up a few images. They are really unusual looking cars. There's a Terraplane rod local to me, but unfortunately I don't have any photos of it. Let's just say you are BOUND to be the only one at the local cruise night!

Attached picture 6749207-0708tr_03_z+1937_hudson_custom_truck+left_side.jpg

Re: 1937 Terraplane, anyone? - 07/27/11 04:51 PM

Attached picture 6749210-Dick%2520Lobach%25205.JPG
Posted By: burdar

Re: 1937 Terraplane, anyone? - 07/27/11 08:18 PM

How do you like this one? It's not a 37(I don't think) but those are my grandparents on their wedding day.

Re: 1937 Terraplane, anyone? - 07/28/11 04:15 PM

That's a '36, you can tell by door handles and hood trim. It's a 2-door with the lumpy trunk lid. Thanks for sharing the photo.

The guy I bought mine from ($50 and he wasn't going down a penny) said that in its day it was the only car that'd run with the Ford V8s.

R.
Posted By: JAMESDART

Re: 1937 Terraplane, anyone? - 07/29/11 12:51 AM

they are really cool cars, i had the predecessor of the terraplane name, an essex.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: 1937 Terraplane, anyone? - 07/29/11 03:13 AM

I have a similar photo of my grandparents standing in front of their Essex with their barn in the background. Kinda cool. In the later years after it finally gave up it became a chicken coop next to the barn.

Posted By: 300by500

Re: 1937 Terraplane, anyone? - 08/09/11 03:08 AM

Believe it or not, there was a Terraplane in the Nashville Pull-A-Part a few summers ago, I tried finding anyone who might've needed parts, but didn't have much luck. It's long gone, now...
Posted By: fstfish66

Re: 1937 Terraplane, anyone? - 08/14/11 06:20 AM

terra planes are just plain kool,,,ill try to post a pic of a 37 coupe,super rare in coupe form,,, powered my a 392 hot heads hemi

Attached picture 6777381-chryslers@carlisle2011084.JPG

Re: 1937 Terraplane, anyone? - 08/14/11 06:21 AM

rear shot 37 terra plane coupe

Attached picture 6777382-chryslers@carlisle2011088.JPG

Re: 1937 Terraplane, anyone? - 08/19/11 05:08 AM

Quote:

is this car in PA ? owned by a man named dick ?? big block mopar power ??

Re: 1937 Terraplane, anyone? - 08/22/11 04:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Honestly don't know anything about the car--those were just some images I found with a Google search...

Re: 1937 Terraplane, anyone? - 08/23/11 05:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Honestly don't know anything about the car--those were just some images I found with a Google search...

ok i was asking,, i thought you may know him,,im sure it is dicks car,,all mopar running gear and interior,,and lots of do dads from other era mopars,,K car hood ornament pentastar frenched in for front turn signals and such,,its driven car,,probably hasnt had an oil change or been washed in YEARS,,, he is an older stret rodder i wlll see him this weekend at the wheels of time street rod and custom event,,any one here in the north east going??? ill have this car with me

Attached picture 6790839-db_WOT__164_1.jpg
Posted By: PocketThunder

Re: 1937 Terraplane, anyone? - 08/31/11 06:59 PM

Is a Terraplane its own car company?
Posted By: PocketThunder

Re: 1937 Terraplane, anyone? - 08/31/11 07:00 PM

Quote:

Oh its a Hudson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraplane

Re: 1937 Terraplane, anyone? - 09/02/11 05:53 AM

Quote:

it was made by hudson, correct m e if im wrong,,

nash turned in to hudson ?? then hudson in to rambler ?? then rambler in to AMC,, then mopar bought amc,,

Re: 1937 Terraplane, anyone? - 09/02/11 04:26 PM

Nash and Hudson were competitors. Early Nashes were big and pretty expensive cars. I remember a big Nash coupe with a golf bag door in the side that was sitting in an old farmstead. OHV six, IIRC. Hudson brought out the Essex as a lower priced line. this morphed into Terraplane about 1932. The last Terraplanes were the 38s. Hudson and Nash got together after WWII and formed American Motors, which made the Rambler. AMC also bought Jeep, I believe from Kaiser. When AMC got into trouble in the '70s it was bought by Renault. Automotive pundits soon coined the name,"Franco-American Motors". When Renault got tired of trying to outguess Americans at what kind of car they wanted, it was sold to Chrysler, which bought it mostly for the ever-popular Jeep line.

Then Chrysler "merged" into Daimler-Chrysler which gave us the 300, which has a lot of Mercedes-think under the skin.
Mercedes-Benz' parent company lost something like $30 billion buying and selling Chrysler. Fiat stepped into the fray buying Chrysler for a song, and maybe that was still too much.

So now, as it stands, Fiat owns Chrysler, Jeep, Ferrari, Maserati, and probably others I have forgotten.

Just two days ago there were two Fiat 500s in the parking lot where I work. Those were the first I have seen. They are smaller than a late model Mini.

R.

Re: 1937 Terraplane, anyone? - 09/02/11 08:41 PM

Quote:

Nash and Hudson were competitors. Early Nashes were big and pretty expensive cars. I remember a big Nash coupe with a golf bag door in the side that was sitting in an old farmstead. OHV six, IIRC. Hudson brought out the Essex as a lower priced line. this morphed into Terraplane about 1932. The last Terraplanes were the 38s. Hudson and Nash got together after WWII and formed American Motors, which made the Rambler. AMC also bought Jeep, I believe from Kaiser. When AMC got into trouble in the '70s it was bought by Renault. Automotive pundits soon coined the name,"Franco-American Motors". When Renault got tired of trying to outguess Americans at what kind of car they wanted, it was sold to Chrysler, which bought it mostly for the ever-popular Jeep line.

Then Chrysler "merged" into Daimler-Chrysler which gave us the 300, which has a lot of Mercedes-think under the skin.
Mercedes-Benz' parent company lost something like $30 billion buying and selling Chrysler. Fiat stepped into the fray buying Chrysler for a song, and maybe that was still too much.

So now, as it stands, Fiat owns Chrysler, Jeep, Ferrari, Maserati, and probably others I have forgotten.

Just two days ago there were two Fiat 500s in the parking lot where I work. Those were the first I have seen. They are smaller than a late model Mini.

R.

to much to try to rememeber,,lol but the 300 came out in the 1950s it had nothing to do with the germans

Re: 1937 Terraplane, anyone? - 09/02/11 10:45 PM

Duh. Maybe I should have said the "new" 300s, I figured putting it after the Daimler takeover would be clue enough.
Back to sleep,
R.
Posted By: Trulyvintage

Call Arnie ... - 09/04/11 04:16 AM

Quote:

One of the pieces of rusty scrap metal sitting on the farm is a nearly complete 1937 Terraplane 2-door flatback sedan. Looks like a 5/4 scale PTCruiser.
Anyone ever do one of those?

R.

Moparts Sponsor

is just a click away ... Mopar Transport

Call Arnie in Dayton, NV

He is a great Hudson guy ...

Has a T - Plane that belonged to a traveling
salesman - it visited just about every one
of the lower 48 states

His number is (775) 742-5870

Jim

Re: 1937 Terraplane, anyone? - 09/06/11 06:18 AM

Quote:

Duh. Maybe I should have said the "new" 300s, I figured putting it after the Daimler takeover would be clue enough.
Back to sleep,
R.

dont loose any sleep over it,,i didnt,,lol
© 2024 Moparts Forums