Moparts

Tie rod end taper

Posted By: 36PLYM

Tie rod end taper - 07/22/10 05:39 PM

Anyone know what the tie rod bolt taper is on an original 36 tie rod end? Switching to 7 degree taper. Do I have to build up and re ream or is there a sleeve for this?
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Tie rod end taper - 07/23/10 12:38 AM

I believe the tie rod tapper on most Mopars is 7 degrees, least the 39 was and it uses the same tie rod end as the mid 70s Dodge 1/2 pickups. When I was messing around with swapping to the rack & pinion steering on my 39, I looked pretty hard for a couple weeks for bushings but didn't find anything close enough. There are a lot of them out there, but most seemed to be either too big or too small for what I needed. I ended up welding the holes in my steering arms shut and drilling them to the correct size and used a die grinder to "fit" the tapper then used the Intrepid tie rod ends. One advantage of welding the hole shut and re-drilling it is you can move the hole to improve your turning diameter, which gets a lot bigger when you go to a r & p.

Why are you looking for tie rod bushings? There were some available for Ford Torinos, Fairlanes, Rancheros and Broncos. Gene
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Tie rod end taper - 07/23/10 02:00 AM

it's taper
Posted By: 36PLYM

Re: Tie rod end taper - 07/23/10 08:52 PM

I am looking for tie rod bushings as an alternative to welding up and re-tapering. I had to change out the passenger side steering arm, the original hole is the right taper but too big. The steering arm bottoms out and crushes the boot, the nut bottoms out on the thread as well.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Tie rod end taper - 07/23/10 11:08 PM

Somewhere I have stashed an old TRW chassis component spec book. But I wouldn't bet on me being able to find it anytime soon. As for the nut bottoming out, a washer works well as a spacer.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Tie rod end taper - 07/24/10 12:10 AM

Check with mr2perforemance member on moparts, he makes bushings, might fit your needs. Page 70 on the user list

© 2024 Moparts Forums