Moparts

reusing stock leaf springs?

Posted By: 65rbdodge

reusing stock leaf springs? - 07/21/10 03:14 PM

i`ve seen a few mopar street rods using the stock skinny leaf springs(2.25") i`ve decided to use the ones on my 47 desoto. even though they are 53 years old they are probably better made than the ones you can buy today. has anyone ever had any problems with them?
Posted By: Mopar Ron

Re: reusing stock leaf springs? - 07/21/10 04:22 PM

I had the stock rear springs on my 1936 Humpback panel truck, I put over 120,000 mi on that truck, I had a volare' front end on it and it rode great and I towed my car trailer with it too, it weighed right around 4000 lbs and the stock springs did a fine job.
the only problem I had was finding new shackes for it at that time, I found a new set and everything went together just fine and worked great...
I have been using a lot of mini truck springs on some of vehicles I have built lately. and they work well too. Ron...
Posted By: black64

Re: reusing stock leaf springs? - 07/24/10 07:55 PM

You can have your springs re-arched at a front end/frame shop and they will be as good as new. check your local shop to see if they do it.
Posted By: fstfish66

Re: reusing stock leaf springs? - 07/24/10 08:39 PM

Quote:

You can have your springs re-arched at a front end/frame shop and they will be as good as new. check your local shop to see if they do it.

i have the stock width leafs on my 40 dodge,,but they are new from posies rod shop, designed to lower the car 2 inches with out lowering blocks,
and i put in a rear sway bar,,they ride just fine
Posted By: Waynes48

Re: reusing stock leaf springs? - 07/24/10 09:34 PM

Springs from my 48 Plymouth needed attention. one had a broken short leaf, and they both seemed to sag. Took them to a spring shop in Tamaqua, PA. They replaced the broken leaf,installed new bushings, and made an extra leaf for each spring. Brought up the rear height just right. It's got a nice stance now.
Posted By: moprod

Re: reusing stock leaf springs? - 07/27/10 12:08 AM

actually removed a couple of leafs out of each side of my stock ones. Lowered the car wehere I wanted.
They had like 8-9 leafs each side.
Posted By: 36PLYM

Re: reusing stock leaf springs? - 07/27/10 12:46 AM

Thought about doing this on the 36, need about two inches. How did this affect the ride? Mine is pretty stiff right now.
Posted By: DusterKrazy

Re: reusing stock leaf springs? - 07/27/10 03:35 AM

I'm making a gasser out my '66 D100. I heard that I can rearch the springs to get extra lift??
Whats the average cost of having this done??
Posted By: aquamist60

Re: reusing stock leaf springs? - 08/05/10 12:49 AM

Quote:

I'm making a gasser out my '66 D100. I heard that I can rearch the springs to get extra lift??
Whats the average cost of having this done??

I had the rear springs done on my 1990 pickup with an added leaf. If I remember right the local spring shop charged about $350-$400.
Posted By: dirt

Re: reusing stock leaf springs? - 08/09/10 03:29 AM

I built a 1930 plymouth and used the original rear springs. the only problem i had was the brass bushings in the ends where they bolted to the car. the bushing was worn out and i couldnt find anyone making them so i had a machine shop make them for me and they worked good. i added a rear sway bar later and it helped the handeling a lot.
© 2024 Moparts Forums