Moparts

'40 Dodge Pickup Getting a New Home

Posted By: Road_RunnerSteve

'40 Dodge Pickup Getting a New Home - 05/03/10 12:57 PM

I found this truck over the weekend and my dad is now buying it. He'll be storing it for me until money permits and I'll buy it from him.

Truck was running and driving when parked 14 years ago and engine is still free so I have a good feeling we'll get it running. This truck is very complete and in quite good condition.

Attached picture 5961193-100_4558small.jpg
Posted By: 65rbdodge

Re: '40 Dodge Pickup Getting a New Home - 05/03/10 12:58 PM

got pics?

Re: '40 Dodge Pickup Getting a New Home - 05/03/10 12:58 PM

Attached picture 5961196-100_4561small.jpg

Re: '40 Dodge Pickup Getting a New Home - 05/03/10 01:00 PM

Attached picture 5961199-100_4562small.jpg
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: '40 Dodge Pickup Getting a New Home - 05/03/10 01:48 PM

She's (girl truck?) a beaut!
If it's going to sit a while longer, lube all the fittings and start soaking stuff. You can wake it slowly.
Posted By: Webster

Re: '40 Dodge Pickup Getting a New Home - 05/03/10 06:22 PM

She's a Honey
Posted By: lunacy

Re: '40 Dodge Pickup Getting a New Home - 05/04/10 11:49 PM

Nice ride, far better than any of the ones I've started out with.
Posted By: fstfish66

Re: '40 Dodge Pickup Getting a New Home - 05/07/10 07:35 PM

SWEET,,, whats the plans???restore or street rod??

Re: '40 Dodge Pickup Getting a New Home - 05/07/10 07:59 PM

My vision is a rod style shop truck. There is a little red ram hemi with OD transmission sitting in the corner of the shop that has this truck's name all over it.

Another crazy idea I have is to take the '66 New Yorker dash that I have laying around and install it in this truck eventually- I have no idea if that would work, though.

Here is what the dash looks like:

Re: '40 Dodge Pickup Getting a New Home - 05/07/10 08:03 PM

nice idea the dash,,, what size red ram you got???

Re: '40 Dodge Pickup Getting a New Home - 05/07/10 09:13 PM

It's a 241. I see you have a 241 in your coupe - is yours stock and does it push you coupe along ok?
Posted By: Fastback67

Re: '40 Dodge Pickup Getting a New Home - 05/08/10 01:36 AM

Nice find
Posted By: Flipper1938

Re: '40 Dodge Pickup Getting a New Home - 05/08/10 02:33 AM

In stock form, the truck dash is rather flat. That one appears to have a lot of depth if you figure in the steering wheel.

Is the 66 dash going to protrude out into the passenger compartment or will it tunnel back under the windshield.

Re: '40 Dodge Pickup Getting a New Home - 05/08/10 03:12 AM

I imagine it to tunnel under the cowl to some extent, or at least be trimmed along the topside so it wouldn't protrude too far. The original cowl vent would be filled so I think there would be a fair enough amount of space to use.

I saw a mid '50s Chevy pickup with a dash similar to the '66 New Yorker style in a magazine a while back - it looked awesome. It is probably way beyond my skill level, too, but I'd like to keep the idea in my mind for when I would actually start on the truck.
Posted By: 76dodgeboy

Re: '40 Dodge Pickup Getting a New Home - 05/08/10 06:26 AM

The only problem I see is the dash pad being Non metal and not able to cut down and make it look rite unless "Re"covered so to speek otherwise Good idea. I plan to put a 51 ford dash in an early truck eventually. Good luck on the build. Nice start too

Re: '40 Dodge Pickup Getting a New Home - 05/09/10 04:28 AM

Quote:

It's a 241. I see you have a 241 in your coupe - is yours stock and does it push you coupe along ok?

yes it does when its running,,bought the car done,,long story,,but the motor has some issues,even tho it was a fresh motor when i got the car,, its a 241 030 over,,cam was regroundand is bigger then it should be for a motor of that size,with a 4 BBL carb, 904 tranny with a lock up converter,and 3.23 rear,,plenty of power for a cruiser 18 mpg @ 80 mph,electronic ignition, im hoping to be able to make this motor dependable and fix the things the engine builder didnt do so well,,,

Re: '40 Dodge Pickup Getting a New Home - 05/09/10 04:32 AM

Quote:

I imagine it to tunnel under the cowl to some extent, or at least be trimmed along the topside so it wouldn't protrude too far. The original cowl vent would be filled so I think there would be a fair enough amount of space to use.

I saw a mid '50s Chevy pickup with a dash similar to the '66 New Yorker style in a magazine a while back - it looked awesome. It is probably way beyond my skill level, too, but I'd like to keep the idea in my mind for when I would actually start on the truck.

go for it take your time, i love the dash idea
Posted By: clark2334

Re: '40 Dodge Pickup Getting a New Home - 02/10/11 09:50 AM

Quote:

I found this truck over the weekend and my dad is now buying it. He'll be storing it for me until money permits and I'll buy it from him.

Truck was running and driving when parked 14 years ago and engine is still free so I have a good feeling we'll get it running. This truck is very complete and in quite good condition.

Hi! Any updates with this truck? I'm excited to see its new look as well as how you made the truck make over thing.
Well, for me to get the truck a fresh new look I would suggest to get her a new EGR hood guard or a new truck bed.
Posted By: 68427vette

Re: '40 Dodge Pickup Getting a New Home - 02/10/11 05:59 PM

if you want to sell the truck,, i'll buy it... jc

Re: '40 Dodge Pickup Getting a New Home - 04/08/11 09:01 PM

No updates on it right now other than that Dad has been able to fire it up to discover a bad radiator. Once he gets a new radiator and a clean gas tank in it I think he plans to drop a highway gear 8 3/4 in it and drive it everywhere.

Re: '40 Dodge Pickup Getting a New Home - 09/04/12 08:37 PM

Thought I'd drag this thread up from the dead. We've been working on the '40 a bit over the last year. Swapped in a B-body 8 3/4, aluminum radiator and installed a Scarebird disc brake kit. I'd like to drop it a bit, but I think we're going to keep running the flathead 6 for awhile. It needs a clutch soon though.

Pic before we removed the temporary fuel tank:

Short video...

Re: '40 Dodge Pickup Getting a New Home - 09/04/12 09:06 PM

Photobucket doesn't want to work today...

Here's one of the pics

Posted By: moparpollack

Re: '40 Dodge Pickup Getting a New Home - 09/06/12 04:34 PM

That thing needs more gear and a clutch.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: '40 Dodge Pickup Getting a New Home - 09/07/12 02:36 AM

That put a smile on my face, you must be pumped!
There is just something about driving an old truck. Keep us posted as things progress. Gene
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: '40 Dodge Pickup Getting a New Home - 09/07/12 05:51 PM

Looks awesome. I want an old truck like this to put my name & Son's Speed Shop on the doors all patina'ed out & use it as a parts chaser & swap meet truck.
© 2024 Moparts Forums