Moparts

Automatic shifters?

Posted By: rattler

Automatic shifters? - 01/26/10 02:17 PM

Anyone have a favorite brand or style of aftermarket shifter and why? I am needing one for my 57 truck project and am looking for ideas. Randy
Posted By: 36PLYM

Re: Automatic shifters? - 01/26/10 10:15 PM

I used Lokar on the 36. Have a 518 trans. Seem to have good adaptability to unique situations.
Posted By: BeEtLeJuIcE !

Re: Automatic shifters? - 01/26/10 11:31 PM

I really REALLY like a pushbutton shifter.... I am putting one into a dragster and a motorhome and would FURR-SURE put one into a street-rod .. 'effen I had one.

Re: Automatic shifters? - 01/27/10 03:23 AM

I may end up modifying one to look like a standard shift, not sure yet. One problem with the normal aftermarket shifters is thier height. It will need to be tall enough for a truck. Randy
Posted By: fstfish66

Re: Automatic shifters? - 01/29/10 08:47 PM

i have a lokrap in my rod,,in my experience it doesnt seem to adapt well to a 904,,as far as the built in nutrel safty switch,,it doesnt work properly in all positions,,but they do have several length arms to choose from,,,gennie shifters were first lokrap stole there gate design and added a button to the shifter,,,,

i also wanted to put a push button in my rod,,but the cost to adapt a push button tranny to except a modern lock up converter wasnt worth it in my eyes,,,imperial services makes a push button adapter for non push buton trannys,, but ive \heard its expensive,,
Posted By: Cooter

Re: Automatic shifters? - 01/29/10 08:47 PM

Then definitely get the Lokar.

Had a Gennie in my Trailduster, and loved it. The Lokar has a pushbutton that my Gennie didn't.

Re: Automatic shifters? - 01/30/10 12:27 AM

I have a catalog on the way from Gennie. I liked the looks of stuff on thier web site and didn't want a button on the shifter.Randy

Re: Automatic shifters? - 01/31/10 06:13 AM

Quote:

I have a catalog on the way from Gennie. I liked the looks of stuff on thier web site and didn't want a button on the shifter.Randy [
/quote]

gennie has no button,,but you have to kick the arm from side to side from gate to gate,,nice shifter a buddy has one in a 37 ply with a 413/727
they ofer a wider selection of arms now,,,
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Automatic shifters? - 03/08/10 02:51 AM

yep,i am looking at the comander shifter myself and just got the top hat skull air clear hold down

very cool

lot of handles to choise from also

the floor mount lokar gets a looky see also as i might not have the clearance on top of the tranz for the shifter to mount correctly

Posted By: 4bbl

Re: Automatic shifters? - 03/17/10 02:01 AM

I am using the column out of the 85 150 on the 50 rod, including column shifter. had to shorten it three or four times to retain all switches and shifter. Not fun but time was cheep, after market parts were not.

Re: Automatic shifters? - 03/17/10 03:03 AM

kool man,,modifing is hot rodding,,,we dont always have to buy it,,,nothing wrong with making it,,,,,,pics please

Re: Automatic shifters? - 03/17/10 12:29 PM

I ended up using an old Hurst ratchet shifter from a swap meet. I cut the handle off short and bolted on an old 3-speed shifter handle. Except for being a long-throw between gears it seems to work pretty good and has the look i wanted. I also used an old b-body console lid and built lower sides for it to form a custom console out of 18ga. steel. It is funny what you can do with more time than money. Randy

Re: Automatic shifters? - 03/18/10 03:20 AM

building and custom one off is kool,,,,the throw just seems longer,,because you made the handle longer,,,,grab it as low as you can and shift it,,you will see that the throw seems shorter,,,,pics please

Re: Automatic shifters? - 03/19/10 08:01 PM

Re: Automatic shifters? - 03/19/10 11:11 PM

I'll try to take a pic of my shifter and get it posted. I spent the afternoon rescueing a 440 from a 78 motorhome. What a pain in the a** pulling that motor. It had a trany with it, but i had never seen a 727 with a bolt on yoke and short tailhousing like it had.

Re: Automatic shifters? - 03/22/10 03:47 AM

Quote:

loks like an engine pic,,n ot a shifter and console,,,lol

Re: Automatic shifters? - 03/22/10 03:49 AM

Quote:

I'll try to take a pic of my shifter and get it posted. I spent the afternoon rescueing a 440 from a 78 motorhome. What a pain in the a** pulling that motor. It had a trany with it, but i had never seen a 727 with a bolt on yoke and short tailhousing like it had.

bolt on yoke ?? you meen like a trunion ?? 4 bolt flange??? some of those motor homes had 413,s in them,,,may just be a 413 and a vintage pre slip yoke tranny,,

Re: Automatic shifters? - 03/22/10 01:23 PM

No, the tail housing on this trany was set up for a two piece slider driveshaft like a 4-wheel drive use's.The forward u-joint bolted to the trany with straps the same as the rear.

Re: Automatic shifters? - 03/23/10 01:44 AM

Here are some pics, i hope.

Attached picture 5881636-P3210258.JPG

Re: Automatic shifters? - 03/23/10 01:49 AM

Shifter pics

Attached picture 5881655-P3210259.JPG

Re: Automatic shifters? - 03/23/10 01:51 AM

Another

Attached picture 5881664-P3210258.JPG

Re: Automatic shifters? - 03/23/10 01:53 AM

Last one.The shifter is setting at the drive position in these pics. At park it is close to the dash and in low it is close to the console.

Attached picture 5881671-P3210257.JPG

Re: Automatic shifters? - 03/23/10 03:19 AM

weird sounding tranny tail shaft,,,i think we talked before jeep seats in ur truck ??

Re: Automatic shifters? - 03/23/10 12:46 PM

Yes, the seats are from a 98? grand cherokee, and the console came from a durango.

Re: Automatic shifters? - 03/23/10 07:15 PM

I am useing a BB 727 short shaft bolt on yoke in my 88 440 truck..engine is in the sig pic

the u-joint is 4" across with 1 1/4" round caps

measure the tranz mount distance from back of case

I had to move the xmember forward 2" in my truck..after building a xmember out of some square stock and lower brakets

a reg long tail shaft 727 or a reg 4x4 short 727 will have the mount center 7" from back of case

the MH short 727 will be 5" from back of case

think those MH 727 are for a 1 1/4 ton chassis

the speedo hook up is in a diff spot also when trying a stock xmember on it

I went with a full manual Vb to loose the linkage and will use a floor mount lokar shifter

I looked at a gennie shifter..but wont have room on top of tranz and floor pan

the lokar will mount inside cab on the floor and have rod linkage for the hook up

Re: Automatic shifters? - 03/24/10 08:40 PM

i like the seat,,hope to find a set as nice
© 2024 Moparts Forums