Moparts

1956 CORONET

Posted By: A/MP

1956 CORONET - 05/21/20 02:29 AM

Before I travel 200 miles to see the car, Can a RB fit inside? This a coil spring or leaf sprung rear? I'm not looking to make a street car but rather a rat drag car.I know that anything can be fab'd but looking for a simplier ride.Thanks
Posted By: Old Ray

Re: 1956 CORONET - 05/21/20 01:12 PM

I can't help you on the RB, the rear springs are leaf I think.
Posted By: moparx

Re: 1956 CORONET - 05/21/20 01:57 PM

rear leaf springs. if it were me doing as you want to do, i would ditch the front suspension and original steering box, then put a straight axle in it's place.
a big block would be easy to install then.
we need to see pics !
beer
Posted By: Sniper

Re: 1956 CORONET - 05/21/20 03:47 PM

Front suspension is coil spring. Very similar to my 51 Plymouth's, can;t help on the B/RB question though.

Attached picture Front suspension.jpg
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: 1956 CORONET - 05/21/20 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by A/MP

Can a RB fit inside?

Sure, depends on your fabrication skills. The rear leaf springs are what's referred to as "splayed", the front mounting points are closer together than the rears.

Attached picture splay.jpg
Posted By: poorboy

Re: 1956 CORONET - 05/22/20 12:11 AM

There is enough space under the hood for an RB. You may loose the inner fenders, and probably the fresh air for the heat, neither of which you probably would have left intact anyway.

The front suspension, if its in good shape will support the RB's weight. It is a decent suspension that parts are available for at many auto parts stores and online. Improvements can be had by moving the shock from the upper control arm to a bracket on the frame, kits are available to do this, but its pretty simple. You definitely want a disc brake conversion, several kits are offered. Its cheaper to do a disc brake conversion then it is to rebuild the original brakes, which would be inadequate for a RB powered car.

The rear suspension, if in good condition will support an RB, but I would swap out the usually open rear axle for something a little bigger, with a sure grip, and much more modern,. The original brakes and rear drum setup is poor design, and the axle flanges are keyed to the axles and probably wouldn't hold up to an RB with traction, which the open diff probably couldn't supply anyway.

You want to make sure the car your looking at has a good frame. They tend to rust out in the lower part of the front cross member, and on the frame rails in front of and behind the leaf spring mounting points. If the frame is not rusted beyond repair and is not bent, they are plenty tough enough for an RB.

It will be required for you to post up pictures and keep us informed about your build. Gene
Posted By: bigdad

Re: 1956 CORONET - 05/22/20 05:47 PM

They stuffed big old Hemi's in similar cars , should fall into place ( lol)
Posted By: A/MP

Re: 1956 CORONET - 05/22/20 11:24 PM

Thanks for the info of the K rust issues. That's going to be my main concern when I see it tomorrow.
Posted By: dynamite

Re: 1956 CORONET - 05/25/20 12:27 PM

I am sure the bb or RB will fit as I had for years a 1956 Plymouth Belvedere . with a stroked 440...I sold it 2 years ago to a guy in Tennessee Have many pics but can't send them in my new PC without my grand son to show me how..I at first had the original K frame ,then I installed complete K frame from a Chrysler 5th ave....The P/S was the only hang up....the exhaust had to be worked a lot..Many pics around Moparts including Owners pics I think page 3..White with gold trim..car ran 11.38 with no good traction..1.77 60 foot Good luck Larry
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: 1956 CORONET - 05/25/20 04:51 PM

The Dakota front clip swap is popular in the '55-'56.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...-dodge-modern-front-end-swap-advice.html
Posted By: 56_Royal_Lancer

Re: 1956 CORONET - 06/10/20 04:58 PM

Yep, it sure will fit and it can be made to clear the heater box, steering box, etc. Pretty much everything has to be fabbed but I've done it and took a lot of pictures. You can notch the cross member to get a 727 to fit w/o butchering the transmission hump, too. I used a early-B 8 3/4 by moving the spring perches and it was perfect - even gave me a bit more room from the tire to the wheelwell lip.
Like I say, I've got a lot of pictures of my fabbed motor mounts, etc if you get into this.
Biggest bogie for me was managing the heat under the hood but eventually I got there.
Good luck, and enjoy the questions you will get: :"That ain't no Chivvy, what year Ford is that?"

Attached picture 56 440 in 005.jpg
Attached picture 56 engine 6.15.jpg
Attached picture 56 right front 6.15.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums